• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrNibbles said:
This week's updates have sucked so far.
I'll be staying up again F5ing tonight though.

Srsly though, no updates on Friday nights makes me sad.

We damn well better get a demo of this game in Nintendo Power (which was sold off, and is being completely restructured, with the first "new" issue being the December issue (I think?)).

King Dedede and Replays like a word with you!

Scribble

Enduin said:
There are going to be a lot of sword users in Brawl with Marth's inevitable return and the rather decent chance Ganondorf, taking on his TP design, will also hopefully carry over his awesome ass sword. Making the possible total of sword wielders at 6, all rather unique as well, where Melee had 4, two of which were basically clones.

Let's talk a bit about Ganondorf!

I'm looking forward to seeing him in Brawl, and they MUST let him turn into Pig Ganon for his Final Smash. Since Bowser and him are the two biggest Nintendo villains, it'd be cool to see Giga Bowser and Pig Ganon side by side.

I agree that Ganondorf taking on his TP design is extremely likely. Nevertheless, I do like his WW design, although it's less detailed. And yeah, I also intially thought WW Ganondorf was "too fat", but someone did a comparison earlier in the thread (or was it somewhere else?) and WW isn't that much fatter. Lol.

Ganondorf.jpe

GanondorfTP.jpg

Ganon.jpg

Ganon.jpg

Scribble

Zeed said:
I think his TP pig form is the most likely, in my opinion.

That form looks really awesome, so I wouldn't mind that.

Although I wish that they would implement more classic Zelda elements in the Zelda PCs (Zelda herself is the closest to doing that, though. Especially if Sheik returns, which I think will happen)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Scribble said:
Let's talk a bit about Ganondorf!

GanondorfTP.jpg

Give me that, with then his Ganon form in TP as his FS and we will have a truly awesome character. In Melee Ganondorf had no real identity, unlike Link and Zelda/Sheik he did not translate well into the SSB world and thus became a not so decent Captain Falcon clone.

Retaining his sword would put him in line with Ike's slow but extremely powerful style of swordsmanship, but as evident in TP he fights rather forcefully using not only his sword but also his whole body in the fight. I think theres a definite possibility for him to be a sword user who still maintains some brawler type moves so as to not end up just being a clone of Ike.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, the problem with Ganondorf in Melee is that the version of Ganondorf he was modeled after, the OoT version, was primarily a magic, projectile based character. Yet Sakurai forced a physical moveset on him, which was disappointing.

Somnid

Iam Canadian said:
Well, the problem with Ganondorf in Melee is that the version of Ganondorf he was modeled after, the OoT version, was primarily a magic, projectile based character. Yet Sakurai forced a physical moveset on him, which was disappointing.

The problem was a moveset was forced on him at all. His model even included a sword that was never used. It was just awkward and disappointing. He really needs a comeback and really needs his own unique moves which include his sword (now a staple of the Ganondorf character).

His Final Smash should be Beast Gannon though, not Trident wielding Pig Gannon.

People bashing Ganondorf as a Cpt Falcon clone confuse me. They're easily the most distanced pair of clones. Ganon playes nothing at all like Falcon.

That said, his moveset had nothing to do with his character, and they definitely should give him his own. And they NEED to use his TP model; it's the most incredibly awesome character model in the history of everything.

GamerSoul

I don't think he'll use his sword. Ike is already what Ganondorf would be like with a sword. For his FS, I also think he should change into Ganon, OoT preferably. It would bring back some good memories. If not a transformation, using the triforce, like Link, but in a different way would be cool too.

If they use TP Gannon or WW Gannon they will most likely give him a sword because the fights with those gannons consisted mostly of sword fighting

as for other Zelda characters that could make it into smash the only ones I could think of is Tingle and skull kid with Majoras Mask. Oh and of course replace young link with WW Link

ElFly said:
Even in Super Mario World there were several green yoshis. He appeared from eggs sometimes YOU CAN'T TELL ME IT'S THE SAME GUY
Like, I said, the Yoshi is the first one rescued from a block, and who immediately explains to Mario the predicament of him and his friends. It's not coincidence that this Yoshi is found in a block at the beginning of the level next to Yoshi's House - he is Yoshi! The rest of the Yoshis found in blocks are either meant to be the same guy or just more of his friends. I don't think Nintendo really thought about that too much when they made the game, although it is notable each of the block-Yoshis hatches from an egg each time they appear.
Oh, and
smw09.jpg

Scribble said:
Does THE Toad really exist, though? What evidence is there (SMRPG doesn't count)?
Right now, Nintendo seem to be going with the idea that Toadsworth is THE Toad.
It seems to vary depending on whom at Nintendo you ask. I definitely think there is a the Toad, because how else could he have a counterpart in Toadette? And Toadette is definitely a distinct character (see Paper Mario: TTYD). As for Toadsworth, he was created to fill the role of stereotypical advisor to royalty, or perhaps as an evolution of the Toad Chancellor(SMRPG)/Minister(PM), who also has a bushy mustache and stands around telling Mario to go rescue Peach.

NeonZ

And Toadette is definitely a distinct character (see Paper Mario: TTYD).

Toadette only appeared in the tutorials, though... besides, she has never appeared in a main Mario game, and her name, like Toadsworth's, seems to hint that she's just another Toad, rather than some kind of Toad counterpart.

NeonZ said:
Toadette only appeared in the tutorials, though... besides, she has never appeared in a main Mario game, and her name, like Toadsworth's, seems to hint that she's just another Toad, rather than some kind of Toad counterpart.

Her Japanese name is Kinopiko ('ko' being the feminine suffix in japanese, much like 'a' or 'ette' is here). Toad's name/species being Kinopio.

It seems like she's made as a counterpart.

She was also paired up with "the" Toad in Mario Kart Double-Dash.

fig_toad.gif

Firestorm

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'd like to see Ganondorf with good jump, sword A attacks, magic B attacks, and with not-all-slow attacks.

He had the fastest jab in the game I believe. His u-air wasn't too slow either.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
IGN podcast said:
- Krystal in Brawl - Bozon thinks she will be an assist trophy. Matt doesn't care if she's in the game or not. Peer thinks she might be playable given the lack of Starfox support in the game.
- Peer is convinced that a Square-Enix character will be revealed before the end of the year, especially given how close Nintendo is working with Square these days. Also expects a Capcom character

I'm not feeling that Square-Enix character Peer.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
The only new characters that I would really really like to see happen is Captain Olimar and Isaac from Golden Sun. If they aren't in, its not a dealbreaker, but I would really like to play as both of them. :D

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
I'm not feeling that Square-Enix character Peer.
Sakurai said three third party characters tops. A Capcom AND a Square character would be a nice surprise, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The biggest problem with Square remains the question of which character they would provide. None of the modern stars have really been on Nintendo consoles, and no I don't think a brief guest appearance in Chain of Memories counts. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ganon needs to retain his stomp move. He had a nice kick in Twilight Princess, too. Hmm... what about a Mewtwo-type "hypnosis" move that let him take control of another character briefly?

Zeed said:
Sakurai said three third party characters tops.

I don't recall him being as specific as that, to be frank... the implication that there would be just a few (about three) was there, but I don't recall wording that strictly limited the number to three.

Zeed

Banned
DavidDayton said:
I don't recall him being as specific as that, to be frank...
He was. The exact wording was something like "one to two in addition to Snake". Let me go dig that source up.

EDIT: Here's the 1up writeup, I saw it on other sites as well but this should be enough to satisfy you.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151198

Sakurai hasn't determined the official character lineup as of yet. The reveal of Solid Snake does mean they're contemplating other non-Nintendo characters, but the characters must have appeared on a Nintendo platform at some point, and they're only considering one or two more additions in this category.

This might just be my wishful thinking... But I have a feeling Sakurai may have changed his policy on 3rd party characters after seeing the insane hype caused by Snake and Sonic.

And I do mean insane hype, it was almost surreal.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Zeed said:
He was. The exact wording was something like "one to two in addition to Snake". Let me go dig that source up.

EDIT: Here's the 1up writeup, I saw it on other sites as well but this should be enough to satisfy you.
The reveal of Solid Snake does mean they're contemplating other non-Nintendo characters, but the characters must have appeared on a Nintendo platform at some point, and they're only considering one or two more additions in this category.
Honestly, given that that isn't a direct quote AND the fact that it seems a bit weak ("only considering one or two"), I wouldn't necessarily give it the word of law at the moment. I'd expect just a small number of third parties, but I don't think we have anything saying THERE WILL BE ONLY THREE.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong, of course. ;)

I think the "one-to-two more third party characters, in addition to Snake" comment was to keep people from going crazy and expecting a dozen game and anime characters to show up.

Zeed

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Honestly, given that that isn't a direct quote
That was based off of a direct quote. What, you think they pulled it out of their asses?

Bah if you want I'll go see if any of the other sites did a writeup with his words in quotation marks.

Akai

To be fair, lots of things are said during the development process that end up being rescinded ...Of course, I don't expect any more than perhaps 2 or 3 guest characters, from Capcom, Squenix, and MAYBE Namco (as long as it's not Pac-man) respectively...

Zeed

Banned
Akai said:
To be fair, lots of things are said during the development process that end up being rescinded
This is true.

I stopped looking because it's more trouble than it's worth, but I distinctly remember seeing the "one to two" comment elsewhere. In accordance with that, I'm only going to expect one more third party character. Anything more than that will be, like I said, a pleasant surprise.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I like this quote from 1up

Additionally, while they don't want to include Japanese-specific characters since Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a worldly popular game, the amount of comments he's heard about the Fire Emblem additions makes him think otherwise. At this point, it's too early to tell how the finalized lineup will shape up, but he also doesn't want to feature only popular characters ala Mario and Link.

Fire Emblem lead to Lucas! Now hopefully the results are the same....

Baiano19 said:
Any chances that Crono could be the Square representant? That would better than ny FF character.
Realistically: Probably not.

Then again, maybe if we complain loud enough Square will relent and pretend that Crono in SSBB is a reasonable substitute for a sequel.

Zeed

Banned
Square really doesn't have any single character that is "Iconic" worldwide, except possibly Cloud, but we all know the problem with him. It would be such a shameful waste if all Square provides is something generic like a Black Mage, Chocobo, or Slime.

The best case scenario would be Nintendo getting permission from Disney to use Sora, and then cooperating with Square for the actual models, stage, etc.

-Eddman-

It would be awesome to see some kind of ice climber team of a generic FF hero and a DQ one (both from the NES era), with their respective chocobo and slime thophies. :D go square!

Zeed said:
Square really doesn't have any single character that is "Iconic" worldwide, except possibly Cloud, but we all know the problem with him. It would be such a shameful waste if all Square provides is something generic like a Black Mage, Chocobo, or Slime.

The best case scenario would be Nintendo getting permission from Disney to use Sora, and then cooperating with Square for the actual models, stage, etc.

Slime is probably as memorable of a character in Japan as Mario is. If not for the anime, Pikachu would be generic as well.

Zeed said:

I would actually be very happy if Sora somehow made it in. He's very iconic in the sense that he sort've merges all the Final Fantasy worlds into one. Again, I'm almost positive that the IP Kingdom Hearts as a whole belongs to Disney, but the original characters that came from the series designed by Nomura are property of Square (so long as they axe any Disney representation, such as the Mickey Mouse emblem on Sora's keyblade). It's alot like how everytime Disney wants to use Tarzan they have to credit Edgar Rice Burroughs because he's not an actual creation of Disney.

Slime is probably as memorable of a character in Japan as Mario is. If not for the anime, Pikachu would be generic as well.

Only Pikachu actually looks like an interesting character.

Slime looks like generic Toriyama garbage. A generic smiley-face has more personality than 'Slime'.

-----> :D > Slime

Please keep Slime away from Smash Bros. plzkthx.

BDGAME

-Eddman- said:
Cool, but i think his creator now hates Nintendo and the Wii, doesn't he?

I don't know. Did he?

Linkzg said:
no thanks to Earthworm Jim.

if they wanted more western developed characters, they could find someone better.

Not for a 16 bits generation fan, like me.

Zeed

Banned
That's why I said worldwide. But in any case, slime might be "memorable", but then again so are goombas. Doesn't make them any less generic, not to mention that slime is a pretty shitty "character" anyway.

Pikachu on the other hand has really become the face of Pokemon. The anime may have started that, but Pikachu has been used to push everything from games to merchandise. Ask any random non-gamer off the street and they're probably as likely to know Pikachu as they are to know Mario. If Pikachu isn't iconic, no character is.

Wow.

It seems that everyone in this thread has at least one character they have irrational hatred for.

The slime has his own game series. The reason Slimes became popular is because they were the most common enemy in the original game, and by that fact, they became the only link between the entire series.

I've never lost the "what could Slime do?" argument, and I don't think any of you could give a better argument.

Firestorm

Zeed said:
This is true.

I stopped looking because it's more trouble than it's worth, but I distinctly remember seeing the "one to two" comment elsewhere. In accordance with that, I'm only going to expect one more third party character. Anything more than that will be, like I said, a pleasant surprise.

You were looking for this thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642

The two Square Enix characters I see as the best choices for Brawl are:
geno.jpg
or
Crono1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom