• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Son of Godzilla said:
What came first, the tourny player or the ignoramus who called someone a tourny player?

What? Pretty much every online game ever that isn't Halo has a server/room browser. Matchmaking is a great feature, sure, but there's no reason why it should be at the cost of a proper custom server list.

I'm sure they will just have broad outlines of different modes, and then either filter searches based on them or make it another voting thing. I can't imagine it not being the former though, as unlike maps and items, being forced to play a mode you don't want is retarded. Hi Shotty Snipers.

Goddamn shotty snipers! >=O

Scribble

This sounds like the typical weekend Dojo update thread argument, except that it's actually relevant to the most recent update.

It's like the Twilight Zone!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Scribble said:
This sounds like the typical weekend Dojo update thread argument, except that it's actually relevant to the most recent update.

It's like the Twilight Zone!

This thread exists in the Twilight Zone

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Shinobix said:
Updates should've been every day :mad:

Sakurai's had enough trouble stretching these updates out to release with five updates a week. With seven per week, he'd have to...give each difficulty on the difficulty sliders its own update or something.

Jiggy

As far as time/stock matches go, if stocks aren't selectable in random online battles, I'm going nowhere near them unless I have to in order to unlock stuff.

To put in my opinion on why for a moment... Time matches fundamentally suck. This is simply because they leave open the mere option of converting Smash into a defensive game, allowing the possibility of that strategy of a leader playing purely not to die, which is less interesting (to the opposing player) than continuing to play to win for the duration of the match. Between the three Sakurai games I know of that had time and stock matches, in none of them was time my preferred option--not even in Meteos, a puzzle game. Why time continues to be the default setting in his games, I don't know. I don't have that explanation, but what worries me more is that I suspect nobody else does either.

Iam Canadian said:
Sakurai's had enough trouble stretching these updates out to release with five updates a week. With seven per week, he'd have to...give each difficulty on the difficulty sliders its own update or something.
My Vision of Novembust on the All-Week-Update Plan

Donkey Kong's alternate colors
Double jumping
Castle Siege Roof
Mario's Fireball
Party Ball
Link's up taunt
Walking and running
Sonic's final smash
Stage Builder: Ladder Tool
DOUBLE UPDATE! Rice Ball and Pizza Slice
Pikachu's Thundershock
Stickers: Birdo
Castle Siege Castle
Samus' alternate colors
Crouching
Meta Knight's side taunt
Tourney Menu
Stage Builder: Changing the Background
DOUBLE UPDATE! Suicune and Togepi
Melee Stages
Castle Siege Underground
Event 1: Two Trouble Kings
Strong attacks
Pink Smoke Ball
Stickers: Silver the Hedgehog
DOUBLE UPDATE! Sound effects: Mario's "Woohoo!" and "Yippee!"
Battleship Halberd Hangar
Donkey Kong's Headbutt
Music: Fox's victory theme
Fight Sandbag While You Wait!

Jiggy37 said:
As far as time/stock matches go, if stocks aren't selectable in random online battles, I'm going nowhere near them unless I have to in order to unlock stuff.

To put in my opinion on why for a moment... Time matches fundamentally suck. This is simply because they leave open the mere option of converting Smash into a defensive game, allowing the possibility of that strategy of a leader playing purely not to die, which is less interesting (to the opposing player) than continuing to play to win for the duration of the match. Between the three Sakurai games I know of that had time and stock matches, in none of them was time my preferred option--not even in Meteos, a puzzle game. Why time continues to be the default setting in his games, I don't know. I don't have that explanation, but what worries me more is that I suspect nobody else does either.

I couldn't agree more about time matches. Further, I also find free-for-all matches to be pretty unruly, as it becomes a game of politics and random gang-ups. If you're gonna go 4 player, teams is definitely best.

My Vision of Novembust on the All-Week-Update Plan

Donkey Kong's alternate colors
Double jumping
Castle Siege Roof
Mario's Fireball
Party Ball
Link's up taunt
Walking and running
Sonic's final smash
Stage Builder: Ladder Tool
DOUBLE UPDATE! Rice Ball and Pizza Slice
Pikachu's Thundershock
Stickers: Birdo
Castle Siege Castle
Samus' alternate colors
Crouching
Meta Knight's side taunt
Tourney Menu
Stage Builder: Changing the Background
DOUBLE UPDATE! Suicune and Togepi
Melee Stages
Castle Siege Underground
Event 1: Two Trouble Kings
Strong attacks
Pink Smoke Ball
Stickers: Silver the Hedgehog
DOUBLE UPDATE! Sound effects: Mario's "Woohoo!" and "Yippee!"
Battleship Halberd Hangar
Donkey Kong's Headbutt
Music: Fox's victory theme
Fight Sandbag While You Wait!

:lol Five stars.

JCX

I think 2 mini-megatons left are zelda and kirby's movesets. Hopefully we get those soon instead of more how to plays or obvious game modes.

Personally, I would be really surprised if we couldn't set online matches to Stock. But honestly, as long as I get fully customizable options for my friends matches so I can play by "shitty tournament rules :lol " I'll be more than happy.

Tristam

Keru_Shiri said:
Personally, I would be really surprised if we could set online matches to Stock. But honestly, as long as I get fully customizable options for my friends matches so I can play by "shitty tournament rules :lol " I'll be more than happy.

You'll have to add me so we can play shitty tournament rules together.

Dreavus

Well, I've returned from a buddy's house to reconfirm that time matches DO INDEED suck as much as I originally thought. We sat down to some SSBM and set up tournament mode just for fun with the 5 of us (we basically counted the CPU as a free pass :p), and I forgot to change the settings to stock for some reason.

Anyway the first 1v1 started and we saw it was the notorious '2:00 time match', and just thought "meh, we'll go for it". Needless to say with was pretty damn sucky. What happened a lot of the time is one person would get 2 kills, and be at a high percentage, while the other person would only have only one kill but be at relatively low percentage, and then the time would run out. Had it been stock mode, both players probably would have evened out (we're all pretty close in skill) and the game would have actually been a close match, but since it was time, we were effectively 'cut off' by the sheer nature of the game mode. Now I know in stock it ends up being the same deal, with one person eventually taking off the last stock and ultimately winning the match, but with stock you have a clear idea of exactly how many deaths you can afford before you're done for good; even if you get an unlucky suicide, you can still come back (in time mode, this means an almost certain loss since you just won't have enough time to get 2 kills ahead).

Now I can't speak for 4 player FFA time matches from this experience, but the ONLY good thing I can see about these right now is the simple fact that everyone gets to play until the end, which is a reason I can see Sakurai really liking. Maybe stock matches could let people leave the game after they've been eliminated or something, so they don't get 'bored'? This quote is making me worry if we'll see basic brawl stock matches at all.

"Isn’t that simple? You don’t have to trouble with any settings. You just choose characters and stages."

No Sakurai, we really, really do want to trouble with settings!

If there is a Basic Brawl, that would posit the existence of an "Advanced Brawl," would it not?

If I want a quick and dirty 2 minute game, Basic Brawl's the ticket. If I want something a little more nuanced, that I have to wait a little more, there's Advanced.

Bank on it.

zaxor0

After going over the menu's I think that if there was another mode besides basic in "with anyone" then it would have been there and blurred out. But with friends, I am sure there will be more options.

Also I noticed (probably not the only one) that at the top of each menu screen, on the left, it says what menu you are at. But what I noticed is that there is a little / thing lit pink, and it shows the tier, or what ever you would like to call it, of how far into the menus you are. Maybe after some more investigating we might find out there are more modes within various modes. Just speculation, this might not mean anything really.

mugwhump

^ ooh ooh, shitty brawls for me too.
FlightOfHeaven said:
If there is a Basic Brawl, that would posit the existence of an "Advanced Brawl," would it not?

If I want a quick and dirty 2 minute game, Basic Brawl's the ticket. If I want something a little more nuanced, that I have to wait a little more, there's Advanced.

Bank on it.
Oooh, maybe. Good thinking.

2DMention said:
What amazes me is that they are still selling Melee in stores for $30 new.
I've seen a Best Buy employee stocking new copies of Melee a few weeks ago at my local BB. Melee is still selling to this day. Which means there are people out there experiencing Melee for the very first time! Lucky them! :D

TreIII

CreatureX3 said:
I've seen a Best Buy employee stocking new copies of Melee a few weeks ago at my local BB. Melee is still selling to this day. Which means there are people out there experiencing Melee for the very first time! Lucky them! :D

Heh. It WOULD finally take something like the sequel to the game coming out at long last, before FINALLY the predecessor would drop in price...

In other news, I've been finding myself playing the original SSB a lot here lately. Just for the fun of it all...and also to get memories of when Ness and Kirby were like top-tier characters. :lol

GamerSoul

TreIII said:
Heh. It WOULD finally take something like the sequel to the game coming out at long last, before FINALLY the predecessor would drop in price...

In other news, I've been finding myself playing the original SSB a lot here lately. Just for the fun of it all...and also to get memories of when Ness and Kirby were like top-tier characters. :lol

It's been YEARS since I last touched the original Smash. Melee is taking up most of my gaming time right now, becuz I can just pick up and play it. I'm workin on my Peach skillz/turnip accuracy/consecutive hits/killing Ganondorf. Can't wait to test out her improvements. Cuz she really needed them. :p

teddyboi

Banned
Can you play stock mode online? Or is there a specific mode available for wi-fi? That would really suck if there was online time mode online. Stock is where it's at.

Sciz

FlightOfHeaven said:

One would assume so.

zaxor0 said:
After going over the menu's I think that if there was another mode besides basic in "with anyone" then it would have been there and blurred out.

I wouldn't count on it. If they can cut out characters and stages for the demo version, they can cut out online modes.

NTom64

It's called BASIC Brawl for a reason...

You'll probably only get to use all the multiplayer features, such as mode select, handicap etc. in "With Friends" mode.

Chumly

teddyboi said:
Seriously, if Brawl does not have online stock I might not invest in it.
:lol Overreact much? I know its a disappoint meant but Brawl is going to be one of the most packed games EVER for features and replayability.

teddyboi said:

Oh for the love of... It's not that bad. I assume you'll have people to play with in the friends matches. I mean you could just ask here if you needed some random people to beat down in a stock match.

Insaniac

teddyboi said:

I'm sorry you feel this way.

I on the other hand will be playing the fuck out of it.

I expect to use Online mostly for friend battles anyways. I sure hope you can use Custom maps on friend matches

Tristam

Holy Order Sol said:
Don't forget me guys, I want to join the shitty brawls too.

No, you stay out of this. I hate Falcon's knee. The last tournament I went to for Melee I squared off with DarkRain's Falcon.

Re: Advanced Brawl. Good theory FlightofHeaven -- let's hope it's true!

TreIII

JCX9 said:
I'll predict early and say kirby or zelda moves for tomorrow

I'm thinking we might see the Jill (Drill Dozer) Assist Trophy some time soon, if not tomorrow. We've known about it for quite a while now, but the Dojo has been loathe to just tell about it officially.

Cedric

TreIII said:
I'm thinking we might see the Jill (Drill Dozer) Assist Trophy some time soon, if not tomorrow. We've known about it for quite a while now, but the Dojo has been loathe to just tell about it officially.

The dojo's still missing Advance Wars and Metroid assist trophies too.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Speevy said:
Today is the day of days.
n209501964_30811875_4517.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
Cedric said:
The dojo's still missing Advance Wars and Metroid assist trophies too.

I don't think they're planning to show us every trophy anyway, it should be nice to find cool references on our own.

I'll go with my favorite prediction; Sonic stage tonight.

Also sp0rsk, isn't it already time to lift that ban over that specific word? I could see its utility a few pages back, but it's starting to become kinda pointless now. Plus it's not like one can't bypass the ban by simply referring to it indirectly, which pretty much defies the whole purpose. It isn't that often mentioned now that updates are made of 80% more suckage anyway.

You know, just sayin'....

Tristam said:
No, you stay out of this. I hate Falcon's knee. The last tournament I went to for Melee I squared off with DarkRain's Falcon.

Re: Advanced Brawl. Good theory FlightofHeaven -- let's hope it's true!
Actually, the Advanced Brawl option sounds incredibly feasible, so I'm betting on this as well, with lobbys and matchmaking and all that.

And Holy Order Sol, come Brawl, I'll be more than ready to go against your knee on the shitty field of battle. :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
No, the ban is forever.

However, I think I'm gonna be a little more lenient, however, I won't say how I'm being lenient, so just pretend like the ban is as harsh as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom