• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintaiyo

dk_ said:
Fox looks dumb w/o real fur. Come on, Nintendo....

fox_070621c-l.jpg

Like this?
starfoxad_091302_25.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Fox looks a lot more "kiddish" if you will, but that's fine. He still looks awesome in his own right.

I imagine I will enjoy this Fox level a lot more then I liked the Corneria level in Melee. Sweet sweet visuals as well.

We also got a preview of this level from this:
item03_070614b.jpg

NotWii

Banned
Jonk said:
Expect some crazy awesome shitzer going on when they show the new EarthBound Stages.
I hope they do Happy Happy with the purple cultists or Zombie Threed :p

I also welcome characters/stages from Mother 3.

Akinola

Well if the people who friggin did StarFox 64 got their acts together, we might have a solid game for the Wii. To my understanding, since the game released in 1997, other devs have taken care of starfox (rare, namco, etc,) and it just doesn't feel as action packed as the 64 version.

Even so, todays update was a good one. I wonder what the rest of the stages could possibly be?

Also, is it just me? Or will the stages be that zoomed out when there is gameplay? It seems more distanced from the screen than melee was.

Nintaiyo

Akinola said:
Also, is it just me? Or will the stages be that zoomed out when there is gameplay? It seems more distanced from the screen than melee was.

I doubt they will be. This update is to highlight this new stage, so they obviously want to show the whole stage along with whatever's going on in the background in full in these shots.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Earthbound needs a purple level. It would be awesome. Or they can do a Onett level with proper Onett music. The Onett theme is fantastic and reason enough to boot up the game.

edit; The new fox design is easily the best fox design ever. The Namco design had me in tears.

PPsan

You know what I'd like to see? A replay mode. One with all the options and controls the camera mode in SSBM gave us. That way, you can review your superiority over your friends over and over, from different angles!

Even cooler would be a standalone channel, just for sharing these replays. ...ok that might be asking for a but much, but that would be something I'd put to very good use.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
God I REALLY hope there is at least a handful of stages resembling this:

10temple.jpg

Big, labyrinthian, epic awesome.

Brandon F said:

10temple.jpg

That was a nice stage, but I hated when the CPU got stuck in the lower part. I hope they will fix the cpu AI so that:
-They don't get stuck in any level
-They are aware of items like mines and avoid them instead of stepping on them!

Meta-Knight said:
-They are aware of items like mines and avoid them instead of stepping on them!

Then it´d be A.I.-cheating.
A human player forgets a mine, but the CPU would always avoid it.
The blaster is already useless because the CPU always reflects the shots. Dont make the mine useless :-/

Firestorm

Nash said:
The simplicity and sameness of the stages is the only thing concerning me about Brawl so far.

You have a right to be concerned. Sakurai said he'd be keeping stages "fairer" >.>

I like how Hyrule Temple looks but would rather not have it back. 4 player free for alls on that stage with another 3 people waiting for their turn are no fun on that stage. Ugh.

Anyway, this Star Fox stage better not be like Venom where it flies through a cave >_>; That was so stupid =( "bam, lol can't kill me"

Jiggy

ant1532 said:
Searchin around and found these, am I the only one who really likes the models for SSB64?
Ness and Jigglypuff don't look bad, but other than that I just can't go back to it. :(

...I'll still probably buy SSB if that ever comes out on VC, though. And proceed to never play it ever.

Dr.Hadji

Brandon F said:

Goodness that stage lacks so much design its crazy. Its just pure wishful thinking on the part of the developers. So much of nothing happens when you play with people on the stage.

"Hey lets all go camp under the stage where no one can die"

Its almost impossible to play that level without having it play you.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dr.Hadji said:
Goodness that stage lacks so much design its crazy. Its just pure wishful thinking on the part of the developers. So much of nothing happens when you play with people on the stage.

"Hey lets all go camp under the stage where no one can die"

Its almost impossible to play that level without having it play you.
especially if you know how to tech.

Anyways, here's a list of stages that are basically designed like Final D and/or Battlefield in Melee:

Brinstar (note: lava hazard)
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium (note: the stage DID warp, though)
Mute City (If you want to count it, I guess)
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (N64 version, the one with the cloud platforms)

As you can see, there was not a shortage of stages like this in Melee, either.

MasterMFauli said:
Then it´d be A.I.-cheating.
A human player forgets a mine, but the CPU would always avoid it.
The blaster is already useless because the CPU always reflects the shots. Dont make the mine useless :-/

That's why levels exist. I understand that level 1 through 5 may be dumb enough to trip on mines, but a level 9 should not, in most situations.

Meta-Knight said:
That's why levels exist. I understand that level 1 through 5 may be dumb enough to trip on mines, but a level 9 should not, in most situations.

Even a good player sometimes forgets about a mine, moreso if it is set in a difficult to see place.
If you can set an A.I. so that it can forget about mines, it´d be ok. But if level 9 A:I. always doged it it´d be unfair.

MasterMFauli said:
Even a good player sometimes forgets about a mine, moreso if it is set in a difficult to see place.
If you can set an A.I. so that it can forget about mines, it´d be ok. But if level 9 A:I. always doged it it´d be unfair.

But I think his point is that if you want them to sometimes forget a mine, that should be an 8. A nine should be as difficult as they can make it (yes unfair, if you will.) Level nines were way too easy in Melee. I think the Melee level nines, should be about a six in Brawl and there should be three more levels of difficulty above that.

It´s true the Melee level 9s are too easy. But that´s not because of mines, it´s because they have only one attack pattern and you can always use the same attack to finish them.

But while we´re at difficulty: Remember that Event match in Melee, where you had to fight adult Link in the Majoras Mask-stage?
I cant help but i always though this one Link is far more difficult than a level 9 Link. I had major problems beating him, and, well, i dont have any problems against 2 level 9 Link ^^

GaimeGuy said:
especially if you know how to tech.

Anyways, here's a list of stages that are basically designed like Final D and/or Battlefield in Melee:

Brinstar (note: lava hazard)
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium (note: the stage DID warp, though)
Mute City (If you want to count it, I guess)
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (N64 version, the one with the cloud platforms)

As you can see, there was not a shortage of stages like this in Melee, either.
If you use the warped definition of Mute City, you probably also have to include Lake Hylia, Kongo Jungle, Subcon, and Kongo Jungle N64.

So, if you say everything with two platforms and a middle platform is just like Battlefield, that means that sixteen out of the twenty nine levels in Melee were only kind of like battlefield or Final Destination. The rest, according to the insane definition that everything that at any point comes down to the basic structure of Battlefield, are all the same.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
MasterMFauli said:

what? I get lvl9's to trip on mines all the time. they're as stupid as all the other lvls they just react faster to stuff, like projectiles (they always reflect shit, my shl is nothing against them :(. )

But really, make the CPU smarter. I hate those stupid asses.

Firestorm

On the subject of level 9s, I made this video when I was bored one day:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ChwwVidj4FI

I think it was to shut some NSiders up about how pro they were against level 9s >_>

Has anyone compared to US site vs the UK/Ireland site?

Many fans clamored for Wario to join the fray, and so now he finally makes his appearance...in his WarioWare costume.

It’s rumored that this unpredictable character will give birth to a form of martial arts that other characters cannot even see.

Many fans clamoured for Wario to join the fray, and so now he finally makes his appearance...in his WarioWare costume.

It’s rumoured that this unpredictable character will give birth to a form of martial arts that other characters cannot even see...

Wow attention to detail =O

So instead of checking out the breathtaking backgrounds of these new stages, people are complaining that they resemble Battlefield too much? Geeez, some folks are never happy. Besides, from what I've seen so far, the Fire Emblem stage looks like it has all the hills and uneven terrain and such, and I'm sure there will be more.

Brandon F said:

10temple.jpg

I also hope, but that stage did have tons of problems, like the cave where you had a hard time killing people.

but I really liked how it was a huge stage where it wasnt just flat, the level actually made combat more fun, I hope they do more stages that are really stretched out like this was, I like bigger stages where if your playing 4 player, you can still have good 1 on 1 battles without being bothered.

Brandon F said:

10temple.jpg

I HATED that level, aside from the cave at the bottom of the level, the level is so huge, i usually have a hard time catching up to speedy characters who run away when they get a point or something.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That Lylat stage is SIIIIIICK! From space through an asteroid belt to Corneria's upper atmosphere, back out into space... through a raging armada battle?!

And I dug the comment at the bottom about gravity and air!

mugwhump

PPsan said:
You know what I'd like to see? A replay mode. One with all the options and controls the camera mode in SSBM gave us. That way, you can review your superiority over your friends over and over, from different angles!

Even cooler would be a standalone channel, just for sharing these replays. ...ok that might be asking for a but much, but that would be something I'd put to very good use.
Yes, yes, yes! :D My #1 most wanted thing, maybe except for online.
I spent so much time in melee's camera mode. I've got fond memories of manipulating 2 controllers with my hands and 1 with my feet to get a sweet picture.

edit: On the subject of AI, after playing melee for 5 years, I've started to enjoy fighting lower levels more than lv.9s. Level 9s have ridiculous DI and can escape/interrupt your combos in completely inhuman ways. They're just annoying.

Human AI >>>>> Difficult AI

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dr.Hadji said:
Falco is confirmed to be out of Brawl.

If you look closely Fox has TWO blasters. One he's firing and one in his holster.

Sorry Falco. RIP.

Link?

Slavik81

Kureishima said:
Man, you're nuts. Melee had some awesome stage diversity.

Then again, I also turned all items off too. ~75% of my Melee matches were in Final Destination with no items. Just like ~75% of my Super Smash Bros. matches were on the Great Fox (just because there were more levels worth playing in the first game).

There needs to be a lot of space for fighting and items like the Hammer, the Star, the Bob-om , the pokeballs and so on really ruin the game. It gets to the point at which it's kind of like Mario Kart. where by taking it slow off the starting line, you can get the 8th place items and go flying way into the lead, or Mario Party in which you gets stars for everything under the sun... including having the least stars.

I'm really liking the direction Brawl is going. The stages look like there's going to be a lot of great and varied stages without being wrecking the core gameplay. Sure, a few weird levels are needed, but seriously... How much time did you spend playing Farside, or Peach's Castle? Rainbow Cruise? How about the oddly-sized retro levels?

Slavik81 said:
Then again, I also turned all items off too. ~75% of my Melee matches were in Final Destination with no items. Just like ~75% of my Super Smash Bros. matches were on the Great Fox (just because there were more levels worth playing in the first game).

There needs to be a lot of space for fighting and items like the Hammer, the Star, the Bob-om , the pokeballs and so on really ruin the game. It gets to the point at which it's kind of like Mario Kart. where by taking it slow off the starting line, you can get the 8th place items and go flying way into the lead, or Mario Party in which you gets stars for everything under the sun... including having the least stars.

I'm really liking the direction Brawl is going. The stages look like there's going to be a lot of great and varied stages without being wrecking the core gameplay. Sure, a few weird levels are needed, but seriously... How much time did you spend playing Farside, or Peach's Castle? Rainbow Cruise? How about the oddly-sized retro levels?
Pokemon Stadium was one my favorite. I loved the way it changed mid battle from a simple two platform stage, to three different slightly more complex forms. They had more stuff going on, but they were all still small so the action never stopped.

aechris

You guys bitch way too much about this. Smash Bros is supposed to be chaotic, otherise they wouldn't have put all the crazy items and stages in. I loved playing with Pokeballs and Hammers. I loved Poke Floats and Big Blue. We had a blast playing those and we had a blast playing straight up stages like Final Destination with items off. Mix it up a little!

If you hate the nutty stuff, play another game?

Slavik81

Talladega Knight said:
Pokemon Stadium was one my favorite. I loved the way it changed mid battle from a simple two platform stage, to three different slightly more complex forms. They had more stuff going on, but they were all still small so the action never stopped.

Pokemon Stadium was where I spent the other 25% of my time. I agree with you entirely.
I didn't realize how awesome that stage was at first. Instead I played Hyrule Temple... Yeah, not so great when you realise bigger =/= better. -_-;

justchris

I don't know what you people are talking about. I never had trouble killing people in Hyrule Castle, and it's a great stage.

Of course, I never played in tournaments either.

I'm not gonna get into the item thing again, but it seems like wasting your times to turn all the items off. I can understand turning off ones that feel broken, but every single one?

Slavik81 said:

I play with items off, too. I don't really see how this relates. I think even the tourney stages (unless extremely limited) are till pretty diverse (ex: tourneys that allow Mute City). I mean, to me Dream Land feel world of different than FD or Battlefield just because of the size/wind/etc. Everything changes with small alterations like space between platforms/otherplatforms/andground, etc.

I think the huge diversity of levels is a lot of fun. I'll play on just about any stage barring Icicle. Don't get me wrong, I like my tournament levels. But when I'm playing at school 4 player (they don't play 1v1 there, too many people and too much sucktastic players) I like to turn on almost all the levels for variety. I still don't use items unless the occasional super newbie asks to play, but it's hard to have fun with items without skilled players too.

I've ALWAYS loved the mines. Vast majority of people tend to forget them immediately, despite the fact that they're highly visible on screen at all times. If they do tend to avoid them, there's nothing more satisfying than throwing them in to it.

Anyone live near Gainesville, FL? A tournament I'm going to takes place on July 7 there. I'd love to beat down some NeoGaffers. :p

aechris said:
You guys bitch way too much about this. Smash Bros is supposed to be chaotic, otherise they wouldn't have put all the crazy items and stages in. I loved playing with Pokeballs and Hammers. I loved Poke Floats and Big Blue. We had a blast playing those and we had a blast playing straight up stages like Final Destination with items off. Mix it up a little!

If you hate the nutty stuff, play another game?

Thank you. This is some of the best logic I've seen when it comes to the whole 'Items' debate.

zoku88

Slavik81 said:

That was one of my favorite stages. I love the Mario Underwater theme.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
zoku88 said:
That was one of my favorite stages. I love the Mario Underwater theme.
Underwater? That has nothing to do with Rainbow Cruise.

And Mejilan, the temple has the BEST song in the game (Fire Emblem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom