• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

One thing I appreciate about clones with similar speed/weight/etc. is that they do at least help me prioritize my preferred attacks--e.g. it was easy for me to figure out that I appreciated Doc's vitamins and the different behavior of his forward air more than the increased range of Mario's forward smash and his ability to get better horizontal recovery with the cape, or that I appreciated Falco's spike, stronger down tilt, and different laser more than Fox's superior recovery, stronger up smash, and better reflector.

Can't get such an easy cross-character move comparison for non-clones because the full moveset changes. I love Jigglypuff's back air and Luigi's forward air, but compared to each other I don't know which I prefer. If Jigglypuff had a forward air that great, her back air would lose a lot of utility, while if Luigi had a back air like that I'm not sure how much it would help him since his horizontal speed and maneuverability can't keep up.

TreIII said:
Still, I think that would be doing Two a disservice. I mean, to me, it wouldn't take much. His normals weren't ALL that bad (though they could certainly use a few buffs here and there), it's his specials that probably could stand to be overhauled. In my opinion, the only specials that he should keep are Shadow Ball and Teleport...everything else could stand to be replaced by much more bad-ass and/or up-to-date moves that would probably do more to represent the supposedly "the most savage of all Pokemon".

For instance, "Future Sight". "Psycho Cut". "Miracle Eye". Or hey, friggin' Psychic. And that's just stemming from the non-TM moves that Two could stand to use. There's really no excuse how Two ended up being so bad in Melee...but I would love to see him get a second chance.
Yes. I don't know what they were thinking on Mewtwo's side and down B attacks, but they're really terribly lame.
Whatever their logic was, it seems to have made an encore appearance as a contributor to the reason Charizard is getting Rock Smash this time around. :| I don't criticize Sakurai for much, but seriously. Rock Smash? For Charizard?

For Mewtwo, I'd appreciate...

B: Psyball (why Shadow Ball FFS?)
Smash B: Psycho Cut
Up B: Teleport
Down B: Psychic
Final Smash: Psychic Burst

Firestorm said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again, Charizard should have Belly Drum.

Before we saw Trainer's FS, I was hoping for a Belly Drum FS.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Whatever their logic was, it seems to have made an encore appearance as a contributor to the reason Charizard is getting Rock Smash this time around. :| I don't criticize Sakurai for much, but seriously. Rock Smash? For Charizard?

They probably wanted to go with something besides his obvious elements, while obviously not encroaching on Bowser (and, ideally, Ridley)'s turf. If it were me in charge, I probably would have chosen "Wing Attack" (which would have gone well with his ideal Up+B, which will probably be "Fly").

Firestorm said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again, Charizard should have Belly Drum.

XD

Were it not for the fact that the Final Smash basically already does that, "Beat Up" would be my second choice. :lol

KevinCow

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I'm still wondering what the hell Rock Smash will do. He... smashes a rock with his head. How does that damage opponents?

I'm really hoping Charizard isn't like Mewtwo. When Smash 64 came out, those were the two Pokemon I was really hoping would be secret characters. And then I unlocked Jiggly, and I was like, "WTF is this shit??" (sorry Jiggy :( ). Then I got my wish and Mewtwo was playable in Melee, and I was so excited when I unlocked him, then I played as him for a bit, realized that half his B moves were completely useless, his A attacks were underpowered, he was kinda slow, and easy to KO. And I tried to get better with him, but it just wasn't to be.

So now I'm hoping beyond hope that Charizard, and Pokemon Trainer in general, is good.

Aras

Seriously, I want sheik to appear but as another character cause twilight zelda isn't the ocarina zelda and watching twilight zelda transforming into sheik would be like: WTF??

TreIII

Aras said:
Seriously, I want sheik to appear but as another character cause twilight zelda isn't the ocarina zelda and watching twilight zelda transforming into sheik would be like: WTF??

Any more "WTF?" than anything else that's appeared in Smash Bros., up to now?

For instance, where else, but in Smash Bros., could a Pokemon attack like "Rest", which is supposed to HEAL YOU, be interpreted as something that would, instead, knock you the FUCK OUT?

Axalon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Was that even a pokemon? :lol

Someone missed out on all the fake Pokemon that floated around in the GB/C days. Charizard evolves! Venusaur and Blastoise COMBINE!

The pinnacles of my 10 year old life. :p

justchris

TreIII said:
Any more "WTF?" than anything else that's appeared in Smash Bros., up to now?

For instance, where else, but in Smash Bros., could a Pokemon attack like "Rest", which is supposed to HEAL YOU, be interpreted as something that would, instead, knock you the FUCK OUT?

I agree. The Smash universe has a lot of leeway insofar as interpretation is concerned. This still doesn't excuse Ganondorf not having a single signature move for his character, but TP Zelda turning into Sheik isn't that big a deal. We know she's capable of magic.

Axalon said:
Someone missed out on all the fake Pokemon that floated around in the GB/C days. Charizard evolves! Venusaur and Blastoise COMBINE!

VENUSTOISE

venustoisect2.jpg

That episode fueled so much speculation.

M3wThr33

Banned
Axalon said:

I was more referring to my name, but oh god, hidden pokemon was such a big thing for me.
I remember using an emulator just to go through and see if there were any hidden ones. (I used the gameshark code to catch any pokemon you want and went through every hex combination possible. It took a while)

KevinCow

Banned
Axalon said:

Charking and Pikablu, FUCK YEAH!!!

The pinnacle of my 10 year old life was collecting all 150 with my friend, without cheating!

NeonZ

Ike apparently has a Marth colours alt, but I think it's plausible to expect Marth to be back in because he's the Fire Emblem lord in Japan

It's not a Marth costume, it's a white costume that resembles card game Sigurd...

Duo014

venusaus, rules
so is articuno moltres and zapdos combined in one pkmn.
And yes he does exist.

-edit: Omg. Poké knowledge isn't good when someone is young. It still stay in your brain like forever , and you'll never need it in your life , untill a smash thread appears, and it has a moment to shine.

pulga

Banned
Oh noes, what will we do w\o our daily fix? Sakurai is making us go cold turkey, cruel man.

And after reading those predictions, I have 100% confidence in them. No one just predicts the motherfucking Dragoon out of the blue. Glad to have Captain Falcon and Ness back :D Wouldn't be the same without them.

Wolf better confirm Krystal is fucking OUT, having four SF characters would be overkill.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That GameFAQs post is pretty fascinating. He got the level editor and Dragoon parts thing right already. You can't go and re-edit your posts on GameFAQs like you can here, can you? Hopefully he didn't just change it when the new info came out...

I dunno about Wolf though. I feel he may just be a boss fight in the Subspace Emissary part, with one of his Starwolf fighter ships. Ganondorf's return is pretty much a no-brainer.

R.I.P. Mewtwo. D: I shall forever remember you even in your suckiness.

(Seriously, he could've gotten some better B Moves. Disable and Confusion were just terrible.)

Proven

SovanJedi said:
That GameFAQs post is pretty fascinating. He got the level editor and Dragoon parts thing right already. You can't go and re-edit your posts on GameFAQs like you can here, can you? Hopefully he didn't just change it when the new info came out...

I dunno about Wolf though. I feel he may just be a boss fight in the Subspace Emissary part, with one of his Starwolf fighter ships. Ganondorf's return is pretty much a no-brainer.

R.I.P. Mewtwo. D: I shall forever remember you even in your suckiness.

(Seriously, he could've gotten some better B Moves. Disable and Confusion were just terrible.)

Can't edit your posts on GameFAQs, and he first posted it after the stage editor update, so I wonder how long he was sitting on it.

And the difference between alternate colors for Mario and Fox that pisses me off is simple. Mario has had Wario colors since Smash64 as far as I know, and only now Wario is getting in. Mario still keeps those colors as he's had them for a while now. Fox's very first alt swap to the Wolf costume came from the demo for Brawl. People ate this up, and I saw this as Wolf not getting into the game. Many others did too, even though the swap was just for his suit rather than his fur too (which I believed had to do with the way they set up the character model code).

Now, I'll understand Wolf's inclusion for the Subspace Emissionary, and because he's regular character height, he'll also be playable, which then makes me suddenly and only realize now like an idiot that every character will have a boss or at least opposing villain character to represent their world.

You can change a unique character transformation mechanic to make a character more unique in some other way.

I remember only bothering with MissingNo twice, at least one for Nuggets, while all my friends did it so often their cartridges were no longer salvageable. Then I found out about the pause and fly trick when you come into a trainer's site, and how easy it was to even obtain Mew, and I wished I knew this instead when I was 10.

Oh man that sucks about the week off. But I think we got a good week of updates before the break!

Jiggy37 said:
Series without a character profile: Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Nintendo DS
Characters without a final smash: Snake, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus
Series without a stage: F-Zero, Sonic
Series without music: F-Zero, Mario, Nintendo DS
Characters without special moves: Pikachu, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, Ice Climbers

Thanks again for the stats Jiggy. I didn't know we still had so many special moves left to be revealed. Hopefully we the Zelda's Final Smash and some more F-Zero info after the break! :D

I don't want that rumor to be true.

I'm gonna take the good position that the person who said Dragoon knew that, and tried to use that to promote his/her rumors.

EDIT: Although, this assessment only rules out Mewtwo, which kinda sucks. Let's just hope that we get Muddy Mole.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
That GameFAQs post is intriguing. Unlike other "prophets" like Jonk, he actually predicted something correctly that was obscure and a thing that I don't think many, if any people thought of. I want to believe him - he says Ness is returning, and I very much want that - but I'm not going to believe him outright. We've been burnt by "inside sources" many times before. So I'll just wait and see.

Aras said:

More "WTF" than Lucas using PK moves that he didn't have in the games?

Keru_Shiri said:
I would crack up if Sakurai put Missingno. in a Pokeball.

And have him delete your save data or render your game unplayable. :D

At least the Dojo update would be hilarious.

This is Missingno. He looks...unusual.

(pic of Missingno)
What...what on earth IS that?!

He takes to the air and...

(pic of Missingno using Sky Attack)
Uses Sky Attack! Look out below!

Another Brawl said and done. But watch out the next time you turn the game on!

(pic of an error message saying your save data is corrupted)
Your save data has been deleted!

Oh! Too bad! But watch out! Summon Missingno too many times and...

(pic of the Wii displaying a disc-read-error)
Your game will become unplayable! Oh, my! I-is this the true power of Missingno?!

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
That GameFAQs post is intriguing. Unlike other "prophets" like Jonk, he actually predicted something correctly that was obscure and a thing that I don't think many, if any people thought of. I want to believe him - he says Ness is returning, and I very much want that - but I'm not going to believe him outright. We've been burnt by "inside sources" many times before. So I'll just wait and see.

Exactly. That's all we can afford to do.

I just hope that something got mixed up in the translation or whatever, because, again, as much as I love and prefer Lucario, I would hate it if the price it took to get him in meant the sacrifice of an already established character who just needed some TLC before he could become as awesome as he should be.

I mean, Bowser sounds awesome, and Kirby has seemingly done more to regain his 64-style ways, according to the Jump Festa reports. I would like nothing better than Two to get similar treatment.

At least the Dojo update would be hilarious.

This is Missingno. He looks...unusual.

(pic of Missingno)
What...what on earth IS that?!

He takes to the air and...

(pic of Missingno using Sky Attack)
Uses Sky Attack! Look out below!

Another Brawl said and done. But watch out the next time you turn the game on!

(pic of an error message saying your save data is corrupted)
Your save data has been deleted!

Oh! Too bad! But watch out! Summon Missingno too many times and...

(pic of the Wii displaying a disc-read-error)
Your game will become unplayable! Oh, my! I-is this the true power of Missingno?!

:lol :lol :lol

Scribble

The guy only says that Wolf is IN the game, and not necessarily as a playable character. Although most of my 'animousity' towards Wolf came about as a result of Falco possibly being replaced by him, the character still rubs me the wrong way. I liked him back in SF64, but them turning him into a Shadow the Hedgehog type figure....yuck.

Heh, I'm not really hyped up about new playable characters. I would like Ridley and Tingle to be playable, but Sakurai and the Smash Team have already done a brilliant job with the roster additions. Apart from those two, who else is an "A-List" Nintendo character, I wonder. Krystal? Lol.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the possibility of another 3rd party character =X

Meloche

pulga said:
Wolf better confirm Krystal is fucking OUT, having four SF characters would be overkill.
Having three is getting up there as well... I would've been happy with just Falco/Fox returning. Personally I'm hoping for a more diversified roster of characters this time around, i.e. more series being represented instead of cramming a few more Mario/Zelda sidekicks or Pokemon in there. Olimar, Balloon Fighter, Chibi Robo, Tom Nook/Animal Crossing Dude, Mike Jones, and Isaac, for example, would all make great additions to the cast and give more great Nintendo franchises their time in the spotlight. Obviously there are exceptions to this -- Ridley being a great one -- but hopefully in the end we'll have a nice balance between the established, juggernaut Nintendo franchises and the lesser-known, more niche/cultish ones.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Missingno should do what it did to me: permanently horizontally flipped all battle-screen art in the game. >_>

I had no idea Missingno could do that. Then again, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by anything Missingno can do.

I can count myself lucky that Missingno never did anything worse than make my Hall of Fame look funny.

Fireblend

Banned
Interesting; I had given up on Ness being on the game but that GameFAQs post sounds pretty convincing indeed. Great news, I'll have my main character back then, I prefer him over Lucas because of the looks/nostalgia alone :lol

nli10

Wasn't MewTwo's place in the game the place of the character that you unlocked last after having lots and lots of play time (or leaving the machine on overnight like me!)? Couldn't Lucario take this place and Mewtwo still be a playable character unlocked in a different way?

TreIII

nli10 said:
Wasn't MewTwo's place in the game the place of the character that you unlocked last after having lots and lots of play time (or leaving the machine on overnight like me!)? Couldn't Lucario take this place and Mewtwo still be a playable character unlocked in a different way?

Anything's possible, I would think/hope.

Though...I'm going to be severely pissed if the main I would stand to unlock a character like that would be to waste electricity and letting the hours rack up on the machine. I did that too many times, for the likes of MvC2 and Melee alike...

Firestorm

I'd do anything to have Missingno in a Pokeball =( The worst thing it ever did to me (spelled that mew somehow) is screw up my Hall of Fame as well. What was the other Pokemon you guys saw when you were finding Missingno btw? For me it was always LV180+ Charmeleon >_>

Oh, and funny story, back in Red Version I knew that rare candy makes your Pokemon weaker so I grinded my Pokemon to level 100 with no rare candies. Of course, I didn't understand the reason behind it. I trained against Missingno for pretty much that entire time, along with Charmeleons. So I'm pretty sure Missingno gives no EVs, which means my Pokemon are just as weak as if I had trained them by rare candies but it took me 100x as long ;_;

dude

dude
I predict all the characters from Melee will return (maybe he'll get rid of the clones). Sakurai packed way too much fan-service in this game to skimp out on characters.

Scribble

ShockingAlberto said:
Mewtwo was also unlocked through match #.

I hit 700 matches in the first week.

The matches DO add up quite quickly. Unfortunately, I didn't have anyone to play Melee with back then, so I had to go for the "leave GC overnight" option. I thought I was a genius for thinking up that one on my own, too.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
I'd do anything to have Missingno in a Pokeball =( The worst thing it ever did to me (spelled that mew somehow) is screw up my Hall of Fame as well. What was the other Pokemon you guys saw when you were finding Missingno btw? For me it was always LV180+ Charmeleon >_>

I always got impossibly high-level Kangaskhan. I think I saw some Ryhorn as well.

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
I always got impossibly high-level Kangaskhan. I think I saw some Ryhorn as well.

Yeah, it depends on the name you pick for your character. I always picked my real name and always wound up with Charmeleons.

Scribble

Didn't M evolve into a Kangaskhan? I remember telling my cousin (as if it was fact) that it was supposed to be the baby in Kangaskhan's pouch, but they took it out in the last minute.

But where does Ho-Oh fit in?

Are Missingno and M seperate enterties?

Firestorm

Both Missingno and M evolve into Kangaskhan. I remember evolving them and using a Kangaskhan with Sky Attack in the Pika Cup of Pokemon Stadium.

That was fun =)

Missingno erased my entire Pokemon Red cart...the MORNING of the local tournament I was preparing to attend. I had to play level 100's with a bunch of starters I whipped up in the car. :(

Jiggy

I seem to remember Game & Watch being the last character I unlocked in Melee, and I'm pretty sure that was true of some others. I could see Mewtwo being the last for many people, though...

Scribble

I, myself, always tried to treat Missingno as a REAL Pokemon. Like, something you would see if M met Ash in the anime. Maybe that's why Missingno NEVER bit me (Never corrupted my save/game/whatnot) -- because I gave it the love it deserved. Like it wasn't junk.

It's funny how nostalgic a glitch can make you.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
I seem to remember Game & Watch being the last character I unlocked in Melee, and I'm pretty sure that was true of some others. I could see Mewtwo being the last for many people, though...

Well, when I found out that it was hour/match dependent for Mewtwo, I was basically "Well fuck dat! I'll unlock him when I'm good and ready".

And so, that's how ended up with GW as my second to last. :D

Keep going people! Dojo updates or no, that's NO excuse not to get over 50 THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!!! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom