• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

mr stroke

Experience is definitely part of it. As you learn more of the gods, and generally get better at the game, you will find yourself noticing the signs as to when you should be able to get a clean kill, or when you should be retreating. As a new player, the best thing you can do right now is learn the gods.

How much does skill play into kills?

Meaning if I am level 15 and you are level 16-17 with equal health, you will always win. Or can a lower level player win the head to head battle with pure skill?

drotahorror

Outs and options like an escape or some crowd control. Hades 1 is his escape but it seems pretty lackluster and you usually use it to initiate. Which is why I like using blink on him. His silence is nice and it applies blight but it won't stop someone from goin ham on you. Hades was one of the first Gods in the game (atleast when I was playing and there was only about 20) and he's definitely in need of a redesign.

drotahorror

Meaning if I am level 15 and you are level 16-17 with equal health, you will always win. Or can a lower level player win the head to head battle with pure skill?

A lower level can definitely win in a match up like that. It can depend on skill, match-up, which items you have etc. But the game is for sure not balanced around 1v1's. The game really isn't balanced at all, but that's what makes it so fun....there's a ton of Gods that are OP as hell.

Skill is always a factor, but the major factors are your knowledge of the god you are playing, the gods you are facing, and how you build your items. I have had several instances where I should have been dead but was able to dodge better than my opponent and secure a kill.

As they say, practice makes progress.

gogosox8

Well I finally bought the god pack. Was taking way too long to get favor for the gods I wanted to buy plus I've played it enough to give hi rez some money so I think its a good purchase. Really been enjoying playing sun wukong. I think he's my favorite right now. I think I have enjoyed playing the warriors the most, they are tanky but they can do some damage unlike the guardians who don't seem to do any damage. Haven't really found a hunter or mage that has clicked yet. I haven't played all of them yet so that could change. I'm interested in trying out apollo and isis and seeing how it goes.

Phades

Just to clarify, what do you mean by "outs and options?"

Sobek's attack is easier to land, hitting anything in his line and I think goes much further. I've only played Herc once, but I remember his knock up&back being a set distance and not as versatile as Sobek's because of that, although he might be able to hit more than one person?

Some characters have a dash in or move in skill. Others have skills that can be used for both. Others still have it built into the skill allowing to go in and out (bastet).

Sun Wukong can transform into the boar and it affords him plenty of time to get in and out, or birdform to just get out. He also can jump onto his cloud. This is in addition to having the knock up effect. Most characters have to commit, while he does not.

Range is about the same, but herc's hits a wider path and not bothered by minions unlike sobek. Positioning the end of it is "harder" but more rewarding and less risky. He also gets the shoulder tackle for a dash out if needed or additional CC. It is not that different functionally from arachne's draw in move. Herc's healing is far less situational making a much stronger character.

Sun Wukong is ridiculous. A good player is almost impossible to kill without chain stuns.

Well I finally bought the god pack. Was taking way too long to get favor for the gods I wanted to buy plus I've played it enough to give hi rez some money so I think its a good purchase. Really been enjoying playing sun wukong. I think he's my favorite right now. I think I have enjoyed playing the warriors the most, they are tanky but they can do some damage unlike the guardians who don't seem to do any damage. Haven't really found a hunter or mage that has clicked yet. I haven't played all of them yet so that could change. I'm interested in trying out apollo and isis and seeing how it goes.

Some guardians can do a lot of damage. It's just that they usually build mostly tanky items, while warriors usually build half tank half damage.

I generally don't like playing warriors. I find them oddly unsatisfying. I think it's because I like seeing big numbers. That's why I usually stick to hunters, for dem late game Deathbringer crits. Or mages like Scylla and He Bo for those huge nukes. Assassins also hit hard of course but I don't really like being melee.

Hades is generally not considered to be all that good of a god due to his severe drop off. His sustain is pretty bad. I would suggest trying out someone like Ymir, Sun Wukong, or Chaac. All three of those gods are rather great and are really fun to play. Wukong takes a little bit of practice before you learn when you should and should not use his 3. It was worth it though, because he is hella fun.
That's a bummer lol. This happens to me in every competitive game I play. I always start with a low tier guy. I'll try some of the others out.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
with hades remember your 1 goes through walls so if your in lane next to the buff camp or in mid you can 1 through to the buff camps and into the mid gold furies then pop sprint and gtfo

edit: what are you building for hades? if your going tanky and want to do damage youll need polynomicon and a obsidian shard if your going magic power youll want life steal so like a bancrofts talon and a pythagorems piece

Au Kuong's and Ra's Ults pass through walls too. Ra is a fairly simple mage to learn, and Kuangdor the Noodlenator is very easy as long as you place his tornadoes properly. If you can place it over minions and gods, you are golden. Au's ult is a bit harder to hit with than Ra's though, as it is slower, however it can be used if someone is chasing you. Just turn around to run and place it in the direction you are running. If there is an enemy god behind you he/she will get hit as Kuang's Ult starts behind him.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Au Kuong's and Ra's Ults pass through walls too. Ra is a fairly simple mage to learn, and Kuangdor the Noodlenator is very easy as long as you place his tornadoes properly. If you can place it over minions and gods, you are golden. Au's ult is a bit harder to hit with than Ra's though, as it is slower, however it can be used if someone is chasing you. Just turn around to run and place it in the direction you are running. If there is an enemy god behind you he/she will get hit as Kuang's Ult starts behind him.

then when they get hit by it it throws them forward towards you so drop a tornado in front of yourself while they are in midair and when they land in it you squall them for even more damage and now are slowed then you hit your 2 and vel vel vel vel vel vew

With characters like sun wukong having so many outs and options, it really does make me wonder why characters like Hades have so few while at the same time forcing them to risk themselves through a really long action animation. I get a similar feeling when I look at Sobek and Hercules. Sobek has to dive in and risk himself, while herc doesn't have to at all.

Chaac though, I don't know how people get a feel for him. He is just all over the place with his skills. Ymir is pretty easy though and yet somehow teleporting (blink) snow men just feel wrong for some reason.

chaac is ok just save your teleport to axe for escape and get sprint or blink for initiate if you built him tanky you can just run in use your 3 and just bash on them with qins sais youll do pretty decent damage and if your about to do a group initiate open with your ult to mass silence and just focus someone down real hard hes pretty fun once you get used to him

edit again: should add that when you use chaacs axe for escape throw it off to the side while they are chasing you so they dont know if they should keep on you or go to your axe if they peel off you and go to your axe just keep running if they stay on you teleport to your axe also use this same tactic for scylla and her teleport

then when they get hit by it it throws them forward towards you so drop a tornado in front of yourself while they are in midair and when they land in it you squall them for even more damage and now are slowed then you hit your 2 and vel vel vel vel vel vew

Shit like that is exactly why I love having the Noodle's voice pack. CELEBRATION!

gogosox8

Sun Wukong is ridiculous. A good player is almost impossible to kill without chain stuns.

Some guardians can do a lot of damage. It's just that they usually build mostly tanky items, while warriors usually build half tank half damage.
I generally don't like playing warriors. I find them oddly unsatisfying. I think it's because I like seeing big numbers. That's why I usually stick to hunters, for dem late game Deathbringer crits. Or mages like Scylla and He Bo for those huge nukes. Assassins also hit hard of course but I don't really like being melee.

Well I think your supposed to build tanky as a guardian right? If you weren't, why not just pick a mage. I'm pretty new to the game but I'm sure a mage would do more damage than a guardian. Also wouldn't people look at you funny if you picked guardian and built like a burst mage?

I'be tried scylla and she's does a ton of damage but good lord is she squishy. I swear I was getting killed in three attacks from a nemesis in a game I played recently. I also constantly miss her ult which is more of me being bad than anything else but I still think its hard to hit. I usually need them to be distracted and not see me or to combo the cripple first or for someone to have a stun.

Well I think your supposed to build tanky as a guardian right? If you weren't, why not just pick a mage. I'm pretty new to the game but I'm sure a mage would do more damage than a guardian. Also wouldn't people look at you funny if you picked guardian and built like a burst mage?

I'be tried scylla and she's does a ton of damage but good lord is she squishy. I swear I was getting killed in three attacks from a nemesis in a game I played recently. I also constantly miss her ult which is more of me being bad than anything else but I still think its hard to hit. I usually need them to be distracted and not see me or to combo the cripple first or for someone to have a stun.

Granted, I don't play Conquest which is the most "serious" game mode, but as long as you let your teammates know in the pre-game chat that you're building mage, you generally won't have problems. The most common magic damage guardian I see is Hades. I've tried it several times myself and it's really fun, high risk high reward play style. Hades can do just as much damage as a mage. I've seen mage build Ymir, Sobek, Bacchus, Athena... pretty much everyone at least once.

Yes Scylla is damn squishy. She has a great escape though. And great CC. She's probably my favorite mage. You just have to be good at judging when you should be attacking and when you should be retreating.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

use your 1 then ult when they are cced it gives you way more then enough time to use your ult on them also use your 3 all the time if they are coming at you no reason to never not use it

I came up on some gems by doing those sponsorpay things on the Smite website, so I was able to buy 2 more gods: Anubis and Vulcan. Anubis was always a fun "YOLO" god because you either do really well or get shit on. Vulcan is good for annoying the enemy team and his ult is so satisfying when you get a kill from downtown. Been having a blast with both of them. I've found that my favorite gods are either hunters or mages. I have enough gems for 2 more gods but I'm gonna save them for the time being.

Very impressive. [VVGN].

I was happy when I finally mastered 10 gods last week lol. :*(

http://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/stats.aspx?player=Xelha

dejan

Smite has completely taken over my gaming time, it's that great. Still in the learning phase, but I'm making steady progress especially in conquest.

How about some GAF custom matches?

Whoa, I really like playing mid. I decided to try mages out since they all look fun and mid is a blast. I've mostly been playing Zeus, but I've been trying different gods. So far I really like playing Zeus and Poseiden the most, then Hel, but she is rather annoying to play.

I have a question about warding. I get where good spots are to ward. Particularly around/near objectives/buffs/mid but who's job is it generally to ward certain locations? Sometimes I will find people have already put up wards in areas near my lane, sometimes not. I try to have wards handy regardless in solo/mid.

Also how often do they do content updates? From what I can tell Hirez seem to be doing a nice job of keeping gods/skins/maps flowing.

This game is just fun. Complete 180 compared to when I tried to learn DOTA2.

I bought Poseidon today and played several games with him. I don't really understand how you're supposed to play him. I had assumed he was an auto attack mage because of his 2, but he's so damn squishy and you have to be point blank to hit all 3 of the projectiles. I died a lot because at close range I was getting annihilated by assassins and warriors. So then I tried just maxing his Whirlpool and playing more of a passive role and it worked out better. But I dunno about Poseidon. If I'm gonna play a passive mage I'd rather just play Ao Kuang...

I bought Poseidon today and played several games with him. I don't really understand how you're supposed to play him. I had assumed he was an auto attack mage because of his 2, but he's so damn squishy and you have to be point blank to hit all 3 of the projectiles. I died a lot because at close range I was getting annihilated by assassins and warriors. So then I tried just maxing his Whirlpool and playing more of a passive role and it worked out better. But I dunno about Poseidon. If I'm gonna play a passive mage I'd rather just play Ao Kuang...
Poseidon is fun. Whirlpool is super dangerous because it does decent damage and cripples. Tidal wave is good for lane clearance. Your 2 is good if you need that extra little push of damage. If you get jumped on, any of those skills can help you escape. Pop your 2 for extra speed, throw your whirlpool in front of you to slow them down, and/or hit them with tidal wave to get some distance from the knock back. Having sprint helps to of course. Keep in mind how fast the kraken pops as well. Catch them with the whirlpool first so they can't go anywhere and then unleash it. I'm sure someone else here can suggest a decent item build.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The first step to winning with Poseidon is to not look at them when they ask you too and bring their morale down.

This joke is dumb

Liberty4all

Banned

Try this build:

Shoes of Focus
Chronos Pendant
Bancraft's Talon
Rod of Tahuti
Obsidian Shard

That would be a pure damage build with a focus on getting your cooldown timer down quickly with the first two items.

Alternatively you can go for crackhead speed Poseiden (Max your 2 ability). The problem you were having is that you likely didn't have the speed items needed along with the key part of that build .... Demonic Grip:

Shoes of Focus
Hastened Fatalis
Demonic Grip (basic attacks reduce target magic prot by 7% for 3 sec ... I think this stacks with his 2 ability)
Gem of Isolation
After those four items I'll usually add in another magic power item from the first build. You move like Flash, and deal incredible amounts of damage with your basic attack.

Both builds however leave you VERY squishy. You have to know when to run.

What would good Zeus builds be? I tried focusing on CDR for his 3, but I'm not sure if that's best. I almost always grab Poly rather early too.

That is something else I struggle with. Item priority. Never know when to buy what, but I guess that's an experience thing.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

whirlpool then drop your ult on the whirlpool its a100% hit follow it up with your 1 and if they are somehow not dead from that pop your 2 and chase them down but they should be dead

What would good Zeus builds be? I tried focusing on CDR for his 3, but I'm not sure if that's best. I almost always grab Poly rather early too.

That is something else I struggle with. Item priority. Never know when to buy what, but I guess that's an experience thing.

boots of the magi, chronos pendent, obsidian shard, rod of tahuti, demonic grip, this can be what ever you want either more attack speed like telkhines ring or more damage like polynomicon or bancrofts

Aaron

This is my favorite MOBA. Siege mode is the right balance between quick game and tactical play for me. Plays great with a controller too. Bought the god pack so still have lots of gods to try. Gone through close two twenty now, and haven't found one I really dislike, though some like Nu Wa feel overpowered.

This is my favorite MOBA. Siege mode is the right balance between quick game and tactical play for me. Plays great with a controller too. Bought the god pack so still have lots of gods to try. Gone through close two twenty now, and haven't found one I really dislike, though some like Nu Wa feel overpowered.

Because the main mode is still considered Conquest, the game is balanced aroudn it. So a few gods are OP or UP in other game modes. Ares is famous in Arena even if he is kind of bad in Conquest, and in Siege that is more focused around pushing, Nu Wa is better than usual, because she is an excellent pusher.

All you new people who have been playing recently should PM me with your player name so you can join the GAF guild. Maybe well have enough people to play a match once in awhile lol

Just a thought :p

Thanks for the Poseidon tips everyone. The auto attack builds just didn't click with me so I focused my build around his Whirlpool instead. When combined with Gem of Isolation it is an incredible move for teamfights, and it perfectly sets up the Kraken. I was dropping bombs in Arena this morning, consistently hitting 2-3+ enemies with my Whirlpool + Ult combo.

Speaking of auto attack mages, what's the deal with Chronos these days? I used to see him in every game and people would always cry on Reddit about how OP he was. Did they nerf him? I had a Chronos on my team today and he did pretty well. I've only played him a couple times and I did terrible.

Dropping more spoils in the stream right now. Mountain Man Odin getting a rework:

JJwVWj5.jpg

GPI8vvd.jpg

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
All you new people who have been playing recently should PM me with your player name so you can join the GAF guild. Maybe well have enough people to play a match once in awhile lol

Just a thought :p

I'm up for this even though I don't know you and you don't know me. And I don't really know what a guild is yet. Because I've only played co-op Arena and Assault and am Level 2.

Whelp. There goes my weekend. I guess Smite it is, not that I'm complaining. lol

If anyone wants to get in any Assault, Arena or siege matches, let me know. I'm down for the other stuff too, I just prefer those three game types.

Indignate

5 game losing streak...I really need my friends to stop playing Dota and play this with me.

At least I can say that in one of those we had a immediate disconnect on our team. Don't know why the game even starts if one person ends up not being able to connect, but whatever.

Same I only play this game casually, I play Joust too.
Well, I play conquest, I just don't really like it when I get put up with people who don't communicate at all, so I stopped. I'm sort of waiting until I have mastered all the gods to really dive into conquest again.
Are you US?
Yes, I am in the US. I am already a member of SMGAF, so if you want to play, just message me through the clan.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well, I play conquest, I just don't really like it when I get put up with people who don't communicate at all, so I stopped. I'm sort of waiting until I have mastered all the gods to really dive into conquest again.
Yes, I am in the US. I am already a member of SMGAF, so if you want to play, just message me through the clan.

Ah...UK here and fairly newbie. Presume different servers for US and UK?

Ah...UK here and fairly newbie. Presume different servers for US and UK?

Yes, the US and Europe have different servers, but it is possible to switch between them in the options. I can't remember how off the top of my head, but I know the option is there because I play with a guy from Ukraine a lot.

I'm always with my gf on the weekends and that's when all the good video game stuff happens. :(

Anyway, I had the best Vulcan game of my life today:

http://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=65930553

Don't let the final score and gold disparity fool you, because up until the last quarter of the match it was a very competitive fight. They just fell apart near the end. Our Sobek was great at being our front line, and set me up for a lot of those kills.

Also, yesterday I played with this dude in Siege. He was playing Hades. He told us he would solo right lane and for all 4 of us to go left. He grabbed red and went right.

This was the result - https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=65837399

That dude has over 2,000 wins lol. I would love to watch the replay and see how he pulled off that score.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well cool. I usually play with a friend from work and we skype during. When I log on tonight I'll have a play around and see if I can join the clan.

This is my first MOBA / online gaming experience so I'm still finding my way.

Top Bottom