• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

DeviantBoi

There isn't anything to gain from the CTF awards is there?

I played one match and thought it was alright but probably won't play much more unless I didn't realize there's stuff to unlock.

If you buy the bundle, some of the awards/achievements upgrades the global emote that's included in it.

Each achievement gives you Smite Award Points, but we haven't been told what they're good for.

Navid

With the changes to Clash I have decided to venture into the dangerous lands of ranked Conquest...

I don't play any specific role, I usually play a bit of everything and anything (to keep things fresh and fun) and my first qualifying match went ok as a jungle Ne Zha, but was wondering if anyone had any general tips?

Some roles seem easier than other in that you have a defined lane you mostly stick with until mid game (Solo/Carry). The mid lane feels like it's a bit more flexible in terms of moving around with the Support/Jungler being the ones that really are expected to roam from early on.

Right now I think starting at lvl 1 is something I'll have to get used to as I forgot how quickly things can go from 100-0 at that stage, specially in respect to minion damage.

Ganhyun

Anyone else seeing this issue on console (xbox here) since the 4.3 patch?

Multiple instances of enemy players getting random immunity from attacks/ultimates without having the shield relic to aegis out.

Had an instance in arena where a diamond zeus laughed and sat there while I tried to hit him with three different abilities and he was immune to all of them. his relic? meditation that was previously used before he started running. Another teammate tried to hit him and he still showed immune.

That was the most obvious, but plenty of games have had this randomly happen.

edit: also tons of server lag with people jumping out of ults and attacks like nobody's business. its annoying.

I genuinely wonder how the majority of the people that play this game function in their daily lives. I honestly can't think of a single player base with more inept morons than Smite.

Navid

Anyone else seeing this issue on console (xbox here) since the 4.3 patch?
I'm on PS4 and while I haven't seen anything like what you're describing I have noticed far more rubber-banding over the past month or so... especially early on in matches and then it seems to stabilise.

Bunch of stuff going on this week for those interested:
Tuesday, March 21st
3x Worshipers
25% off the Roman Pantheon Chest

Wednesday, March 22nd
50% off all Voice Packs
25% off Hindu Pantheon Chest

Thursday, March 23rd
50% off all purchasable Ward Skins and Avatars
25% off Greek Pantheon Chest

Friday, March 24th
Unlock a free Enigma Chest roll for each First Win of the Day (9 max!)
25% off Chinese Pantheon Chest

Saturday, March 25th
2x Everything
25% off Mayan Pantheon Chest

Sunday, March 26th
Earn 90 Gems for completing 3 First Wins of the Day
25% off Norse Pantheon Chest

Monday, March 27th
Earn a Cutesy Avatar Chest Roll after 1 First Win of the Day (only on first win)
All Pantheon Chests 25% off

Source: https://www.smitegame.com/smites-3rd-birthday/

Ganhyun

I'm on PS4 and while I haven't seen anything like what you're describing I have noticed far more rubber-banding over the past month or so... especially early on in matches and then it seems to stabilise.

I had a few other people I know online also complaining (they live in other states and such so I don't think its just me in this case).

Guessing the xbox got hosed with that update. Got told by a friend we have a 6.1 GB update today for it so hopefully it fixes some of these issues.

Malrend

Just came out of a Clash match against a team of healers + a Ne Zha..
In spite of our entire team having anti-heal items, plus 2 ankhs, they obliterated us. This was while we never really were able to make a dent in their team.. At all.

I thought that they were taking steps to eliminate that viability of that sort of team this season? If they are, it certainly doesn't feel that way

Ganhyun

Just came out of a Clash match against a team of healers + a Ne Zha..
In spite of our entire team having anti-heal items, plus 2 ankhs, they obliterated us. This was while we never really were able to make a dent in their team.. At all.

I thought that they were taking steps to eliminate that viability of that sort of team this season? If they are, it certainly doesn't feel that way

I'd imagine with enough MP5, lifesteal, all of them having a rod of healing, meditation relics, and magical power it would be hard to out damage the amount of healing a team of 4 healers could put out on that Ne Zha and each other.

Cerunnos is freaking awesome, I like him a lot. He's probably gonna eat a nerf or two but he's super fun to play.

Also triple worshippers + booster is ridiculous. I got 48 worshippers in one match, almost enough to take me to mastery 1 Cerunnos.

Malrend

I'd imagine with enough MP5, lifesteal, all of them having a rod of healing, meditation relics, and magical power it would be hard to out damage the amount of healing a team of 4 healers could put out on that Ne Zha and each other.

Certainly didn't help that the healers were a Chang'e, an Aphrodite, a Hel, and a Guan Yu.
And yeah, apart from the Guan they did all have Meditation and Asclepius.

So uhh, this happened.

Ganhyun

looks like they are making things worse on xbox. I played multiple games with Chaac and received none of my worshipers. This also led to a team booster being wasted....

DeviantBoi

Didn't play as much Smite as I wanted to (had a brief internet down time), but at least I got AMC to Rank X, which was my goal (6 diamond gods now).

Also got a couple of gods to rank I - Anhur, Cernunnos, Skadi.

I love and hate these 3x events... I seemed to be placed on teams with people wanting to get to rank I with a god matched against people wanting to get to rank X with their gods.

Malrend

Managed to get my Erlang Shen and Nox to X, so I have 3 diamonds now.

These new team boosters mean a rank for every 3 games on average during the x3 events.. But no reason to burn myself out on the game.

Ganhyun

so those issues I mentioned? Apparently they had major xb1 issues (to the point that people who had the gems could buy unlimited skins at that cost or lower and not be charged) and worshipers not working.

Not sure how they will handle the gem abusers.

So, I'm kind of getting back into Erlang Shen after all the nerfs and it's occurring to me that I'm not really sure how to build him.

He used to be very assassin like but now it seems he's falling more into the typical Warrior builds. How offensive should I go with him though? Obviously Qins is pretty good on him but I'm a bit lost as to what other items I should be picking up. Is Soul Eater still super good on him?

How do you guys build your mages in Arena? My 3 core items are Magi Boots, Chronos Pendant, and Book of Thoth.

I buy Magi Boots because I won't be getting another pen item for a while (see below).

I almost always buy Chronos Pendant as my 2nd item because I can't live without high CDR. I often find myself being the only member of my team who appreciates how important it is to clear every minion wave, so I need to be able to have low enough cooldowns to clear minions and aid in teamfights.

Since I'm always clearing minions, I usually buy Book of Thoth as my 3rd item. Having a fully-stacked Thoth + Chronos Pendant allows me to spam my spells without having to worry about mana.

My next 3 items are usually some combination of: a pen item, Gem of Isolation, Rod of Tahuti, Spear of Desolation, Polynomicon.

I'm not sure Chronos Pendant is really worth it anymore, it got hit pretty hard in season 4. For cooldown I like to start with Sands of Time then build into something like Spear of Desolation or Pythag's, though I'm not someone that typically caps out my cooldown reduction on a lot of mages.

Navid

How do you guys build your mages in Arena? My 3 core items are Magi Boots, Chronos Pendant, and Book of Thoth.

I find Chronos' Pendant to be too expensive for what it provides early game, I usually start with Sands of Time for the stats and the cooldown it provides even in Arena... My 2 items after boots are usually a mix of these: Book of Thoth / Gem of Isolation / Ethereal Staff / Rod of Asclepius / Bancroft's Talon / Divine Ruin depending on the character I'm playing & the enemy team.

After that I go into a penetration item before Rod of Tahuti, finally if the game last long enough to allow to sell my starter for a 6th item I then might get Chronos' Pendant / Soul Reaver / Mantle of Discord.

Also if I'm on a relatively immobile mage and the enemy have a assassin who is able to jump into our back-line and target me I will usually go into Dynasty Plate Helm early on instead of the Sands of Time starter.

DeviantBoi

I'm so pissed off at my ISP.

I get off work on Friday, hoping to score five or six Enigma chests, and get home to find the internet is down.

Took two hours for it to come back.

I start playing and settle down for a long night of gaming.

I manage to score two Enigma chests when the internet goes down again. For two hours.

Finally comes back and I log on to try and get a couple of more chests.

Nope. Turns out that I was given a banned IP. Can't log on to PSN cause I get that stupid error WS-37397-9. It's happened twice before since I've been on PSN so I know what to do.

I give up not getting any more chests. I disconnect my modem and go to bed.

No more chests, but at least when I woke up next morning I had a new IP address that isn't banned and I can log on to PSN once again.

At least I got the 90 gems from today.

^ That sucks dude. Kinda reminds me of my coworker whose wife went out of town with their young children, so he got a rare chance to having a weekend gaming marathon... and right when he started playing his GPU crapped out.

Thanks for the build advice guys. I scrapped Chronos Pendant and now start with Sands of Time and Magi Boots. Yeah it's way better. 2900 for Chronos Pendant was definitely too costly. My new build looks like this: Sands of Time, Magi Boots, and then some combination of: Book of Thoth, Pythagorem's Piece, Spear of Desolation, Rod of Tahuti, Gem of Isolation, Polynomicon. If the game goes really long I'll replace Sands of Time with Chronos Pendant.

I haven't used Ethereal Staff in its new form. Is it good? I used to use it on guardians when it had its old passive.

I like Ethereal Staff a lot but I don't see it picked up a ton. It's got a good passive and a nice power boost to feed Tahuti. Plus the health is not irrelevant either, especially if you're a mage with limited range or are being focused a lot.

I like it a lot on a god like He Bo for example. I also find myself building it over Soul Reaver on a decent number of gods as well.

DeviantBoi

What's a good build for Hercules for CTF?
Found an amazing Hercules build for CTF:

Reinforced Greaves
Winged Blade
Breastplate of Valor
Bulwark of Hope
Magi's Blessing
Stone of Gaia

I was worried I wouldn't get that one award for capturing 20 flags.... I captured more than 20 just today with this build. I went three games with 5-0, all captured by me.

Just missing the one for winning in OT. I got all the others, so I think I'm gonna stop here.

drotahorror

What's the deal with the season ticket thing now? I haven't played in a while.

It still says I'm getting FP, but I see other people with levels. How do I get the card to show my level and not FP?

Having a lot of fun with Nike. She's a beast.

What's the deal with the season ticket thing now? I haven't played in a while.

It still says I'm getting FP, but I see other people with levels. How do I get the card to show my level and not FP?

Having a lot of fun with Nike. She's a beast.

You get fp for free now, 10 for a win, 5 for a loss. You will still get all the rewards when you get to the necessary tiers.

You can also buy the ticket, however it now only lasts for one split, after that you will have to buy the ticket again for the next split (4 splits per year). It's 400 gems per split.

Buying the ticket doubles the fp you get from games, allows you to vote on pro matches for fp, gives you quests to finish which reward fp and also give you a limited skin. The skin for the spring split is Merc Nem.
The spring split is basically over so unless you really want the Nem skin there is little point in buying it now, better to wait for the summer one.

When you get to tier 4 of the rewards you gain the border, equipping the border shows the level you are at rather than the exact number of points. It's just a visual thing.

Navid

You can also buy the ticket, however it now only lasts for one split, after that you will have to buy the ticket again for the next split (4 splits per year). It's 400 gems per split.
I could be wrong but I thought the year was divided into 3 splits rather than 4?

Have to say the rewards for the 1st split haven't been all that great, only the Ah Muzen Cab skin looked nice in my opinion.

I could be wrong but I thought the year was divided into 3 splits rather than 4?

Thinking about it you're probably right, I just assumed they would have one for each season of the year though.

Have to say the rewards for the 1st split haven't been all that great, only the Ah Muzen Cab skin looked nice in my opinion.

The rewards aren't for individual splits, there are 30 tiers, you have all year to get them.

Rented Thoth today to give him a try. He's... interesting. I mastered him but I'm not sure if I'll purchase him. I had decent success with him though - his lane clear is very good (which is great for Arena), his kit has good damage potential when you combo everything right, and he seems to excel at chasing down low HP enemies. I guess what I dislike about him is that it's easy to screw up; compared to Anubis, Ah Puch, or Scylla - who can all reliably deal huge damage - Thoth seems rather unforgiving to play.

I always try to break the ice/lighten the mood with some goofy comments when I solo-queue Arena, but sometimes it backfires. Last night I had a team with a TX Neith and right as the game started he did a VVGH and it was the default voice. I typed something like, "Lol you have a diamond Neith but no voice pack?" I figured everyone would have a laugh, but the dude got seriously offended. He and our Thanatos spent the rest of the game mad at me, and told the post-game lobby that the reason we lost was because "Vulcan (me) was distracting us talking shit."

My face that whole time

rdlXgjT.gif

Some people are really sensitive.

Ganhyun

Was playing last night (XB1) and I was doing the celestial voyage bonus quests with friends. We thought we could do those and at least unlock the bonus frame and such as none of us wanted to put 1600 gems into the skins. Nope, found out you have to buy one skin per bonus item you want to unlock with the hieroglyphs.

Left a bad taste in all our mouths.

Was playing last night (XB1) and I was doing the celestial voyage bonus quests with friends. We thought we could do those and at least unlock the bonus frame and such as none of us wanted to put 1600 gems into the skins. Nope, found out you have to buy one skin per bonus item you want to unlock with the hieroglyphs.

Left a bad taste in all our mouths.

You still get the enigma chests from some of them which, if you get lucky, can get you some nice stuff.

That said I pretty much agree with you. The loading screen thing has been a community request for a while and the first one they do they lock behind a paywall. I don't doubt there will be free versions down the road but its just not a good look for the first one.

Ganhyun

You still get the enigma chests from some of them which, if you get lucky, can get you some nice stuff.

That said I pretty much agree with you. The loading screen thing has been a community request for a while and the first one they do they lock behind a paywall. I don't doubt there will be free versions down the road but its just not a good look for the first one.

From what I can tell based on conversations with people who played this well before I started, this year has alot more behind a paywall that it used to (the season split going up in cost, etc).

From what I can tell based on conversations with people who played this well before I started, this year has alot more behind a paywall that it used to (the season split going up in cost, etc).

Oh god yes, I'm still a bit annoyed at the way they handled the season ticket. 400 gems for the first one. the 2nd year it went up to 450 though this was understandable as they added more stuff.

This year though, 1200 for no extra items is a bit much (I'd even say the recolours inside that chest are much worse this year). Being able to get them for free is nice but I wouldn't be surprised if they've set the rewards in such a way as to make the higher tiers near impossible to get without buying a split or two.

I didn't buy this first split and I hit tier 6 yesterday but then I play a pretty decent amount of smite, I doubt I'm the average player in terms of time.

If only he knew he could have said:

You still don't have the god pack?

Lol. Dude was sitting on the perfect comeback, if only he knew.

The good thing about having played this game since closed beta is that I've unlocked all the gods I want using just Favor. Now I'm in a position where I will rent a god to see if I dig it, and I can easily purchase if I do. I'm the old money of the Smite world.

XenoRaven

Took a break from Smite for a bit after SWC, but I've been dipping my toe back into it here and there. I want to play it more but there's so much stuff to play right now.

Had a fun moment yesterday during a Clash game where an Ares attempted the most obvious bait ever by backing in front of our Phoenix. I knew it was a bait but I was full build Athena with Med so I challenged it. Sure enough, Fenrir hops over the wall and instantly uses Brutalize. I dash back into the Phoenix while he's stuck to me, pop Med, then taunt while he's getting melted by the laser. After that we took out the Ares and pushed the rest of the way for a win. Good times.

Ganhyun

Oh god yes, I'm still a bit annoyed at the way they handled the season ticket. 400 gems for the first one. the 2nd year it went up to 450 though this was understandable as they added more stuff.

This year though, 1200 for no extra items is a bit much (I'd even say the recolours inside that chest are much worse this year). Being able to get them for free is nice but I wouldn't be surprised if they've set the rewards in such a way as to make the higher tiers near impossible to get without buying a split or two.

I didn't buy this first split and I hit tier 6 yesterday but then I play a pretty decent amount of smite, I doubt I'm the average player in terms of time.

I'm 14 now (so ill auto unlock the next 4 items on the next split) but from 10 up its taken 1000 instead of 500 to get to the next level. I imagine it will jump to 2000 from 20 to 30 for the final split.

Add in these extra things like Nike's adventure (700/800 gems for the special items or whatever it cost) 1600 gems to get everything with thoth's stuff, and likely a paywall with the upcoming smitecart adventure.....

Yea, they are milking it this year. I wonder what changed other than a desire to make money...

I'm 14 now (so ill auto unlock the next 4 items on the next split) but from 10 up its taken 1000 instead of 500 to get to the next level. I imagine it will jump to 2000 from 20 to 30 for the final split.

Add in these extra things like Nike's adventure (700/800 gems for the special items or whatever it cost) 1600 gems to get everything with thoth's stuff, and likely a paywall with the upcoming smitecart adventure.....

Yea, they are milking it this year. I wonder what changed other than a desire to make money...

There is a paywall with the Kart stuff, 900 gems gets you the pack (skin, pedestal, theme, ward). Playing the mode (with the bundle) then nets you other things including an exclusive skin only chest plus, gold key and, if you go far enough, a pay back of 100gems.
Looking at the bundle it's not bad and I was tempted to grab it but I'd need to drop about £17 which is too much.

I can only assume they're adding all these paywalls because they can get away with it and because people will pay. It's the same reason every patch now comes with at least one exclusive skin often found in 55 items chests. People buy them.

Ganhyun

You might want to watch the SPring Gauntlet this weekend (or at least have it open on another tab) as they are increasing the drop rates of chests AND putting in the chance to gain drops of last years Oddy skins: http://esports.smitegame.com/2017/04/04/spl-spring-gauntlet-format-and-broadcast-details/

I linked my twitch account (have the janus skin) but never got anything from the last time they did this. Is there a way to make sure Im correctly linked besides that?

I linked my twitch account (have the janus skin) but never got anything from the last time they did this. Is there a way to make sure Im correctly linked besides that?

The Janus twitch skin was for being a twitch prime member.

These drops are different. As long as your Smite account is linked toy our Twitch account (it sounds like it is) then you get a chance at a chest drop just by watching any Smite stream on Twitch.

If you do get a drop you will get sent a Twitch message and next time you log into Smite (might need to relog if you were currently in Smite) you should get a pop up telling you of the chest or drop you got.

drotahorror

How do you get chests while watching this Gauntlet tournament? I've watched several hours of it, no adblocker on, and haven't got anything.

How do you get chests while watching this Gauntlet tournament? I've watched several hours of it, no adblocker on, and haven't got anything.

Have you linked your twitch account to your hi-rez account? Here's the link if you need it: http://www.hirezstudios.com/link/

You should get messages in your twitch inbox whenever you get a drop. However recently I have stopped getting the messages although when I log into Smite I am still getting the drops.

Man, the ragers and edgelords are out in full force this weekend. I got called a "faggot" in 3 different games this morning. I had a Hades on my team who intentionally fed because he claimed we weren't following up on his ults, even though we were winning the fucking match. And we still ended up winning despite that shithead.

On a lighter note, these x2 weekends are great for learning/mastering new gods. I mastered 4 new gods between last night and this morning: Izanami, Jing Wei, Skadi, and Cernunnos. Izanami was ok but I had a terrible run of bad games with her. Jing Wei was fun, I especially liked her passive. Skadi was my least favorite, and Cernunnos was my favorite. Seriously though, Cernunnos has the most bloated kit I've ever seen. His 1 alone is ridiculous, but he also has a root, a dash, and a giant AoE CC ult. Lol.

Top Bottom