• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT IV EU eShop release date confirmed - 30th October 2014

Not much further, I'm struggling to think of any other company that exclusively treats EU like shit.

I didn't mean companies treating Europe as bad or worse than atlus, I meant there are many companies beyond atlus that still treat the eu poorly and it's not just them

artsi

Less than 3 hours left

7drHiqrh.jpg

I didn't mean companies treating Europe as bad or worse than atlus, I meant there are many companies beyond atlus that still treat the eu poorly and it's not just them

Are you suffering from Stockholm Syndrome perhaps, buddy? ;-)

That there may be other companies doing the same thing is not a valid excuse for Atlus to act as they do.

Is today the day?

I hope you guys enjoy it after all this waiting. Hopefully by now everyone knows what to expect as well. I personally really enjoyed it, but i wouldn't say it is a definitive step forward from either Nocturne or Strange Journey. Damn good game though.

Is today the day?

I hope you guys enjoy it after all this waiting. Hopefully by now everyone knows what to expect as well. I personally really enjoyed it, but i wouldn't say it is a definitive step forward from either Nocturne or Strange Journey. Damn good game though.

I heard it's a really long game with short dungeons. How exactly does it achieve such a length other than having lengthy dungeons? Strange Journey has the best JRPG dungeons ever.

Because Atlus hate us, and don't even deem us worthy of a retail release.
You try publishing a boxed product in a continent you don't even live in which is a time zone many hours behind yours (your working day starts as theirs end). It is not practical. As for "they should open an office". Why? Those cost a lot of money and the sales hardly seem worth it so best to throw scraps at NISA and whoever else wants to bother and in today's world the rest no longer have to be left behind as you can digitally publish them, provided you own them of course (in the case of Code of Princess the Japanese publisher of the game did a digital release in Europe because no other parties were interested).

I'd love to know why this fucking took so long.
I don't think we'll ever know but considering its early announcement suggests some plans were in place that completely fell through. Maybe then at that point SMTIV was too old for the usual publishers to bother (or maybe Atlus are being different these days, Conception 2 was digital only in Europe for what I can assume is no local publisher interested).

There might have even been some break out clauses in the contract to their original plan (if this falls through for any reason you can't do anything for a year kind of thing).

But all of that is speculation from me. Atlus don't need to tell us (especially if it would harm future business) but it is clear from what they have said that this was not satisfactory.

I guess everyone wanted to hear "its because they SUCK!" (seeing as that is what half of the replies are). I guess I've grown a thick skin due to the shenanigans NOE would pull in the 90s and 2000s (and still pull to some extent, Devilish Brain Training? Rustys Baseball?).

Zareka

I keep forgetting this game comes out today. Literally scraping for money right now so I'll have to delay my purchase, but for everyone that's buying: have fun! This might motivate me to get on with my US import copy.

Quick edit: YES! The best OT title won. Happy.

You try publishing a boxed product in a continent you don't even live in which is a time zone many hours behind yours (your working day starts as theirs end). It is not practical. As for "they should open an office". Why? Those cost a lot of money and the sales hardly seem worth it so best to throw scraps at NISA and whoever else wants to bother and in today's world the rest no longer have to be left behind as you can digitally publish them, provided you own them of course (in the case of Code of Princess the Japanese publisher of the game did a digital release in Europe because no other parties were interested).

I don't think we'll ever know but considering its early announcement suggests some plans were in place that completely fell through. Maybe then at that point SMTIV was too old for the usual publishers to bother (or maybe Atlus are being different these days, Conception 2 was digital only in Europe for what I can assume is no local publisher interested).

There might have even been some break out clauses in the contract to their original plan (if this falls through for any reason you can't do anything for a year kind of thing).

While most of what you're saying is true, you make it sound like Atlus is some small indie developer with little to no experience in getting games out in Europe.

In reality they have been getting their games published for over 25 years now on this continent. Most of those have been released boxed, regardless of time zones or whatever else.

A constant throughout all those years is that for some reason they never managed to find a reliable publisher for their games in Europe.

So either Europe has nothing but terrible publishers. Or else Atlus has a deeply rooted problem managing their IPs properly.

Also, the difference in time zone doesn't really affect the communication Atlus could provide towards their Euro customer base. Only they continuingly fail in that department too.

Hedge

I've never played a SMT game before, but I like turn-based RPG's, as long as the opponent AI's aren't too crazy difficult.
Is this an overall difficult game?
I like to play games between exams to forget the stress, so I don't want to end up frustrated. :p

walnuts

I was considering to bring my 3DS to work and download it here, but I finally left it at home. I won't be there till 20:00. I envy those who will be begin downloading and playing the game in the next 2:30 hours.

Jisgsaw

That would all be true... if other companies hadn't shown that you don't need a EU office to bring out PAL games *looks at NISA*
And even if they don't want to bother, the least they could do is to build a strong partnership with a PAL publisher, and actually work on the PAL builds in parrallel with US ones to get games out faster.
Why they didn't do this in the last ten years is beyond me, especially considering they surely loose money (or at least potential profit) by doing it the way they did the past decade.

I've never played a SMT game before, but I like turn-based RPG's, as long as the opponent AI's aren't too crazy difficult.
Is this an overall difficult game?
I like to play games between exams to forget the stress, so I don't want to end up frustrated. :p

The beginning is hard, but after a few hours its managable.

I heard it's a really long game with short dungeons. How exactly does it achieve such a length other than having lengthy dungeons? Strange Journey has the best JRPG dungeons ever.
It's not that long of a game. It took me about ninety hours to get three endings in SMTIV. That's comparable to what it took me to get my first ending in Strange Journey.

I'd put first play length around Nocturne, but with worse dungeons. As someone else suggested, side quests make up the time lost from good dungeons.

While that may make it sound kind of bad... I still played through it three times without stopping and didn't go straight into a fourth play only because i wanted to wait for miiverse support (which i hear you guys got!).

Top Bottom