• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Soi-Fong

Will prolly get this on the Switch. Might double dip on the PS4 Pro since I have a Samsung 4K TV w/ HDR and everything as well.

Been wanting more HDR games.

So, do we know if it is indeed 1080p on Switch? Impressions of blurry graphics make it sound like it isn't, yet that info came from the developers.

Kensuke

World 2 done, all collectibles so far. The game keeps getting better and I love the difficulty curve as well. It's a very decent challenge.

Played for a while. Got 100% for the first 3 levels.

It's really fun, a bit frustrating at times (thats ok though it makes it more of an accomplishment when i did it)

Just so you know, this game runs at 30fps in 4k mode and 60fps in 1080 mode. Can be changed in the menu of snake pass (main menu only, not during gameplay)

HDR mode can not be toggled in this game.

It's a lot of fun finding the collectibles.

I got the "rocket snake" trophy but holding x and spinning in a circle lol. One of the few games i've seen that has a platinum of 0.0% rarity. No one has it! Usually it takes like 2 hours lol.

Experien

Got this on the Switch and a big can of nope.

Besides notably looking not so great in portable mode, you will be fighting with the controls and screaming at Noodle to move his stupid head over the pole or thread a spot and he doesn't. And then spending 30 minutes at a bottom area of level 4 (or was it 5?) getting orbs and gold by climbing a tower just to be faced with the daunting task of climbing back up or falling and losing ALLthat progress. It made me immediately turn it off and close the program. The feeling was worse than a first timer losing a lot of souls-frustration a Dark Souls.

On top of that, the thing eats battery like no one's business. It drained my battery from 100% to 20% in maybe 2 hours.

I'll come back to it but first impressions are frustrating and far from easy/calming/relaxing gameplay.

Vash63

So, do we know if it is indeed 1080p on Switch? Impressions of blurry graphics make it sound like it isn't, yet that info came from the developers.

Don't think anyone official has commented since release. Based on the screenshots I think it's possibly just the UE4 TAA throwing people off - it's a very 'soft' AA that can lower the apparent resolution.

Don't think anyone official has commented since release. Based on the screenshots I think it's possibly just the UE4 TAA throwing people off - it's a very 'soft' AA that can lower the apparent resolution.
Nah, I am familiar with unreal's TAA and this is definitely sub native res.

FHIZ

Played through a bit. So far the only real problems I'm having are with the camera in certain situations. Specifically right now I'm trying to get golden coins that are perched on logs that jet out over the abyss. Haven't quite figured out the combination to wrap my self around to get out, then turn back, but more often or not, I find the camera adjusting itself to a perspective where I can't really get a firm grasp on where Noodle is compared to whatever I'm trying to stay attacked to. It can get pretty frustrating at times. That, and the fucking bird only listens to my "grab my tail" prompt like half the time.

Other than that, for the most part I think the controls are pretty rewarding. Feathering the grip tool is a necessity I didn't understand until I saw the tooltip. There've been a few times I've found myself holding my breath as I finesse my way up an obstacle.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This feels really nice. It requires constance attention. Everything requires fine input. Makes it really engaging.

psyfi

Banned
I don't complain about resolution very often, but the game is definitely blurry in handheld mode on the Switch. If I notice it, it's bad.

Gane is fun though! I'm still confused about the controls, but I love the concept, art, music, etc.

topplehat

I don't complain about resolution very often, but the game is definitely blurry in handheld mode on the Switch. If I notice it, it's bad.

Gane is fun though! I'm still confused about the controls, but I love the concept, art, music, etc.

Agreed on the blurriness

samred

1) WATCH THE "HOW TO PLAY" VIDEO IN OP. The section of the game is garbage. That 12-min vid is way more effective and helped me love the game's best bits.

2) If you're not going to play it primarily on the go, the Switch version shouldn't be your default choice. Lack of anti-aliasing in docked mode is brutal.

More thoughts to come at Ars soon. They're mostly positive.

CrisKre

Actually surprised at how good the switch version turned out compared to ps4 given the small dev time and spec difference.

If it's a sign of things going forward, ill be getting a lot of multiplats for switch.

jrcbandit

1) WATCH THE "HOW TO PLAY" VIDEO IN OP. The section of the game is garbage. That 12-min vid is way more effective and helped me love the game's best bits.

2) If you're not going to play it primarily on the go, the Switch version shouldn't be your default choice. Lack of anti-aliasing in docked mode is brutal.

That's a shame. Was contemplating the Switch version but I was probably going to play 50-50, but not if it looks that ugly docked. Might get it on PC or just wait for a sale since I have 10 million other games to play.

Cerium

I might actually prefer it in docked mode where the framerate remains solid, the resolution is higher, and it's easier to ignore the blurriness on a big screen. Game remains beautiful. It's really impressive what they've accomplished with the port in a short time.

I'm not sure if this is placebo and I'm just getting better at the game, but I also think it's easier to control with the Pro Controller.

Definitely enjoying how chill it is and controlling the snake only feels more natural as you get deeper in.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Rumble in the switch is pretty cool.
Resolution seems just fine by me.
It looks really soft.
Didnt try it in dock mode tho.

Huh?

It has the same anti aliasing in docked mode as it does in handheld mode. It's very strong TAA.

samred

Huh?

It has the same anti aliasing in docked mode as it does in handheld mode. It's very strong TAA.

It looks blurry and weak, either way, not a solid AA-backed 1080p like on competing platforms.

Edit: it is totally playable in both modes, runs at smooth 30fps, just pointing out if you don't think you'll take it on the go that the diff is significant.

Experien

I have watched the video (before it came out and now) and it didn't teach me anything new. I have 100% the first 3-4 levels and the problem is just response from the noodle himself. His head won't go over a bar or he won't grip the bar or doodle will come and pick me up and essentially throwing me off what I am claiming with where he moves to.

Agreed, I actually got a bit of a headache so it's not a great first impression. I'll need to try it docked with the pro controller though and see if I have a more favorable outlook towards the game. Trying to adjust the camera and control Noodle is a hassle though.

nynt9

Played through a bit. So far the only real problems I'm having are with the camera in certain situations. Specifically right now I'm trying to get golden coins that are perched on logs that jet out over the abyss. Haven't quite figured out the combination to wrap my self around to get out, then turn back, but more often or not, I find the camera adjusting itself to a perspective where I can't really get a firm grasp on where Noodle is compared to whatever I'm trying to stay attacked to. It can get pretty frustrating at times. That, and the fucking bird only listens to my "grab my tail" prompt like half the time.

Other than that, for the most part I think the controls are pretty rewarding. Feathering the grip tool is a necessity I didn't understand until I saw the tooltip. There've been a few times I've found myself holding my breath as I finesse my way up an obstacle.

Yeah what's up with the command to make the bird grab your tail not working like 60% of the time for no reason?

I made a quick comparison image to show off how strong the TAA is on the switch (this applies to both modes, for those interested)

You can see here, when I leave the camera static, the TAA resolves a clear, crisp image:
P6aTppA.png
But when I move the camera quickly there is a frame of jaggies while the TAA catches up:

gif:
5Cr3e1z.gif

ngower

I mean..I can see what you're point out but is THAT what people mean when they say the game looks blurry? Cause, if I'm being honest, I'd never notice that in-game.

Wozman23

I'm 10 levels deep now, and only missed one water orb in level 8. (I scoured the level for 3 times and couldn't find it.) I'm guessing I've probably put in about 5 hours, but I haven't been keeping track. You can get through the levels a lot quicker by just collecting the required gems, but tracking down everything probably averages about 30 minutes per level. A lot of the coins' locations take quite a bit of exploring to find as they're often hidden
off or under ledges or behind level geometry or on small ledges.

Realm 2 wasn't as difficult as others were making it out to be, but realm 3 adds a lot of new variables, mainly more
moving and rotating objects
and a new level theme
and hazard: lava

Some of the obstacles and coins are getting pretty tough, but I enjoy the challenge. I find myself backtracking to checkpoints a lot to save my progress before attempting to grab many of the coins.

I'm really liking how the levels have a sandbox feel to them. Plus, the way obstacles are put together, they allow you a lot of freedom in how you climb them. It creates a very relaxing experience. You can take them at a very slow calculated pace, or you can try to haphazardly try to skip across them like some sort of legless Jesus lizard. I really like the Jesus lizard approach.

There have been many times in the game, where I slither between pegs or wrap around bamboo in such a realistic fashion that it is a bit creepy. Even though it's stylized, I could see people with a fear of snakes being off put by it.

I'm getting pretty good at the climbing mechanics. I don't use Doodle to grab my tail very often - but I've also had mixed results with him actually grabbing it. In most cases when I do use him, he ends up throwing off my center of gravity to much and I fall to my death. Dealing with that delicate balancing act is also fun.

I still sometimes suck at just getting the snake to slither across the ground efficiently. It really makes me curious as to how people will tackle the time trials, and which methods of motion will work best.

So far it has greatly exceeded all expectations!

Kensuke

Some of the trophies seem very tough. I tried 'No Diving' for 20 minutes, but I think if your tail even so much as grazes the water the trophy is gone. I'm pretty sure I did a flawless run, but I killed myself a few times to reset it. I guess that stops it too. No idea how to do 'Floor Is Molten Rock' or how strict the game is with regards touching the ground...

Ridley327

also for those interested, here is a switch docked vs undocked comparison:
jx4mRBy.gif

non gif version:

You definitely lose a lot of the finer detail in undocked mode. The biggest example of that is you can't see the definition of the scales at all, whereas they're easy to spot when it's docked.

Nesther

Game's really, really good. Love the art style and music. The controls took me at least an hour to really get the hang of, but now I'm able to cross the more complex structures without non-stop falling to my death. 100 %'d World 1, and the difficulty felt just right, no collectible seemed to be placed unfairly.

Let's see what the further levels have in store!

Edit: Also, playing on PS4. Game's smooth as butter.

FHIZ

Yeah what's up with the command to make the bird grab your tail not working like 60% of the time for no reason?

I did some testing, and for whatever reason, it doesn't respond to you the first time after you spawn from dying. So basically, every time after I died, I just pressed triangle immediately to have nothing happen, that way when I did press triangle the next time, the bird did what he was supposed to.

Cyanity

Banned
I did some testing, and for whatever reason, it doesn't respond to you the first time after you spawn from dying. So basically, every time after I died, I just pressed triangle immediately to have nothing happen, that way when I did press triangle the next time, the bird did what he was supposed to.

Sounds like an easy fix on the devs' part.

I appreciate the gifs, and I guess I get why it would bug some folks, but honestly, that kind of stuff seems so insignificant. The blurriness bugs me more though
tbh I'm fine with it, I was just posting in case people wanted to know how it looked on the Switch :)

imo the only real issue is the blurriness but you get used to it. It does look a lot crisper when docked but it has slight performance issues which aren't present in handheld mode. Really seems like they favoured performance for handheld.

komorebi

I just took the Switch out of sleep mode and it won't let me play the game without turning off airplane mode. I switched it on before taking it into the other room and now it won't stop nag screening me to connect to the internet. This never happened to me with Zelda, anyone else getting this?

It happens when I enter the pause menu AND when I pick up any item. I have to turn internet back on to stop the nagging. Wtf?

Top Bottom