• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic announced for 9/29, $80, 21 games, has Star Fox 2 [more units than NESC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I FIGURED IT OUT:

Nintendo is trying to set some kind of demented "Most units sold in 1 minute" record for any product on Amazon ever.

Notoriety.

This is a novelty for them. They don't care.

I mean, you're definitely right about the novelty thing. They just want these limited-time products to boost awareness for their real money makers. If all the variables aligned and Nintendo could make these indefinitely I'm sure that they would.

I think the amazing thing is that scattered throughout the thread you can see people saying they don't think this will do well because the SNES wasn't all that popular compared to the NES.

It's not that this won't do well, of course it will. But it's a simple fact that the NES sold more units world wide than the SNES.

jts

...hate me...
You do know that the price is just a placeholder?

I tried to go through with the order... and it did try to charge me that full amount, the absolute madness. I didn't have that much cash available so it gave a "insufficient funds" error.

Funnily enough, the order still went through, just isn't paid for.

MisterHero

I think the amazing thing is that scattered throughout the thread you can see people saying they don't think this will do well because the SNES wasn't all that popular compared to the NES.
They will probably make 5 million and they will sell the fuck out.

There are individual games on that list that sold a few million.

It would be amazing between Ultra SF2 and Hyper Fighting that Nintendo could sell millions more copies of Street Fighter II this year

Oreoleo

I feel dumb for not knowing 20k is the limit, not 10k. Did that change when 100/page was introduced?

Nice!

There was never a 10k post limit. Before the 20k limit threads would just go on and on and on and on and it took it's toll on server performance for whatever reason so the 20k post limit was instated.

Merrydeath

Well considering the cold war that was the 16 bit era. I always believe that the SNES/genesis really created timeless classics that define gaming on what it is today. Pushing the limit and bringing out the best kind of games and we were the winner that get to enjoy. So yeah I truly believe a SNES classic is going to be harder than a Nes classic. I know several people that skip out on the Nes just for SNES classic and possibly n64 classic

Pre-order for the SNES Classic EU Edition. As you can see from the photo, I was able to order from Amazon UK. If Amazon UK should cancel the order, I will obviously refund, so please understand this and don't leave a negative feedback as this is out of my control if it happens. I will ship within 2 business days after receiving the item. Thank you.

This is basically, "Pay me $1000 and I hold your SNES Classic hostage until Amazon UK MAYBE ships me a unit."

SYNTAX182

I just looked at the full list of games. Alien Wars, MMX, Super Metroid, ALTTP, Secret of Mana, Super Mario World, Super Punch Out, the whole fucking list is literally my childhood memories, brings tears to my eyes. I grew up with the US version but the UK/JP design I was always jealous of so I'm getting it. Fuck man, the nostalgia is very real. :')

FinalAres

Well considering the cold war that was the 16 bit era. I always believe that the SNES/genesis really created timeless classics that define gaming on what it is today. Pushing the limit and bringing out the best kind of games and we were the winner that get to enjoy. So yeah I truly believe a SNES classic is going to be harder than a Nes classic. I know several people that skip out on the Nes just for SNES classic and possibly n64 classic
The SNES was a much better console than the NES, it's just the NES had no competition, so obviously it did better. The Mega Drive was a legit good console too.

Megatron

What order will you play these games in?

1. Super Mario World
2. A Link to the Past
3. Super Metroid
4. Contra III
5. Donkey Kong Country
6. Yoshi's Island
7. Secret of Mana
8. Super Mario RPG
9. Star Fox
10. Star Fox 2
11. Final Fantasy III
12. Super Castlevania IV
13. Kirby's Dream Course
14. Kirby Super Star
15. EarthBound
16. Mega Man X
17. F-ZERO
18. Street Fighter II
19. Super Ghouls n' Ghosts
20. Super Mario Kart
21. Super Punch-Out

I'll just do a top 10.

1.Star Fox
2. Yoshi
3. Secret of Mana
4. Star fox 2
5. Mario rpg
6. FF3
7. Castlevania 4
8. LttP
9. MM X
10. Super Metroid.

Kadin

There was never a 10k post limit. Before the 20k limit threads would just go on and on and on and on and it took it's toll on server performance for whatever reason so the 20k post limit was instated.
So my ability to feel dumb grows even stronger. Here I thought I knew about GAF but I'm learning a lot today. lol

What do you guys think the average price of a scalped SNES Mini will be? 160?

lol

$400. Dead serious. Right out of the gate, at least. That's how high they peaked on the NES and scalpers will being jumping straight to it rather than building up from low $100s, since they know people will pay it. Eventually it'll settle down into the $200s. The NES Mini is averaging around $250, and that's now that things are finally starting to die down after the last rush with the cancellation announcement.

MisterHero

They can't archive 20k+ post threads, that's why

Wait, I read everywhere that the emulation is awesome. What's wrong with it?

Watch the video: https://youtu.be/IQzQxRgsFMY

I don't recall all the details, but they're mostly nit picky stuff.

I actually got two NES Classics and sold them because they were European version and I wanted the US box... kinda regret not keeping one now.

Managed to pre-orders the SNES Classic today (Euro version is superior this time). This I'll probably keep, as I'm more relaxed financially now.

I never owned a SNES, it kinda makes this bittersweet... Finally owning one will be sweet, but I don't have nostalgia for these games like I did with the NES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom