• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

The Japan/Europe vs. North America design argument is honestly one of the more baffling pissing matches I've ever seen. Mind you, I get that a lot of it is tongue-in-cheek. But from where I'm sitting, it's not nostalgia that drives a love of the NA design, it's nostalgia that drives a love of both designs. I mean, I like the US one just fine because it's what I grew up with, but I also don't have any delusions of holding it up as a marvelous piece of engineering or anything. At the same time, trying as hard as I can to not attack it because it's different, I really don't understand what I'm supposed to admire about the Super Famicom design. I mean, it's fine. If they went with that for all territories with the Classic I wouldn't complain. But I also don't understand what's supposed to make it a timeless, sexy beast whereas the NA machine is some abhorrent Homer car design.

The Japan/Europe design looks like a pretty generic late 80s/early 90s electronic device to me. I feel like I'm missing something.

And again, I'll close by noting that this isn't meant to be some sort of "USA! USA! USA!" post as I'm not saying our SNES design is better than the Super Famicom.

Mine, from Walmart, when they had that weird period of 20 minutes of pre-orders, came yesterday. I wasn't even sure if I was actually getting it, since that was such an odd order window and it took them until Monday to ship it. And they never emailed me when they did ship it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The Japan/Europe vs. North America design argument is honestly one of the more baffling pissing matches I've ever seen. Mind you, I get that a lot of it is tongue-in-cheek. But from where I'm sitting, it's not nostalgia that drives a love of the NA design, it's nostalgia that drives a love of both designs. I mean, I like the US one just fine because it's what I grew up with, but I also don't have any delusions of holding it up as a marvelous piece of engineering or anything. At the same time, trying as hard as I can to not attack it because it's different, I really don't understand what I'm supposed to admire about the Super Famicom design. I mean, it's fine. If they went with that for all territories with the Classic I wouldn't complain. But I also don't understand what's supposed to make it a timeless, sexy beast whereas the NA machine is some abhorrent Homer car design.

The Japan/Europe design looks like a pretty generic late 80s/early 90s electronic device to me. I feel like I'm missing something.

And again, I'll close by noting that this isn't meant to be some sort of "USA! USA! USA!" post as I'm not saying our SNES design is better than the Super Famicom.

I've never understood it either. They both look like electronics toys designed in the early 90's. I'm constantly baffled by the need people seem to have to announce how much they think the US version sucks.

muteki

WTF at that price for the JP version at Play-Asia.

Oh wow, my UK snes now has a us UPS tracking number. It says it will be here Saturday but I'm not sure if I can believe that, they don't usually deliver on weekends.

Nvm it is Surepost so definitely will be handed of to USPS.

Aaaaaaaaammmmmaaaaazzzzzzzoooooooooooonnnnn!!!!!

They're just trying to kill my spirit at this point. 😢😢😢

MPnQ47Q.png

This was supposed to be shipped to the US. :/

Edit: Seems like my order was reviewed at customs or something and was rejected, so they returned it to Amazon. At this point it seems like all hope is lost.

I feel so unnerved. :/
Who did amazon use a shipper?

Impotaku

Curious to which customs blocked it, the one leaving japan or the ones on arrival to the states?

Kind of makes me glad i didn't order direct and sent it to my tenso account instead.

Kintaco

There was a 3rd Amazon listing for the SFC and postcards for 8618JPY (7980JPY before Japan sales tax). I don't believe it was restocked today.
Ok that's cool. I would have liked the postcards. Glad I changed to the non bundle then as it was significantly cheaper. It seems the shipping went a bit higher since they were doing two items with the bundle.

Contacted Walmart Customer Service about my 8/22 order. Asked them why 8/25 orders are being/already delivered and others aren't.

The rep straight up told me that wasn't true.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

NeOak

Ok that's cool. I would have liked the postcards. Glad I changed to the non bundle then as it was significantly cheaper. It seems the shipping went a bit higher since they were doing two items with the bundle.

Nope. It is the same shipping cost.

Walmart order from August 22nd still hasn't shipped.

Talked to customer support:

"Thank you very much for your patience today, after carefully checking the order, I was able to confirm that the order is in backorder status, this means that the order could not be fulfilled by the first warehouse selected to do so, so we sent the order to a new warehouse. This created a delay in the shipping process, but we expect that the item be shipped today so it can be delivered tomorrow, let me assure you that we are doing our best to fulfill your order as soon as possible."

Kintaco

Nope. It is the same shipping cost.
Mine AC bundle order was around $111 while my none bundle order was $86. Unfortunately I can't see the details on the cancelled order but I thought the shipping was a bit higher.

Also hearing all these US SNES insults make feel me less guilty for getting the UK SNES. You're making the case for people importing, since we have the ugly one its only right that we want the superior one right?

BriGuy

My thinkgeek bundle arrived on Monday and my Amazon UK order is out for delivery today. It's still mind-boggling that nothing is happening with folks' Amazon US orders. I'm starting to wonder if the Treasure Truck allocations were actually separate from the online orders, and whether Amazon just gave their online customers the finger to promote their trucks.

Did you tell them they were full of crap (or some other fecal matter related word)?

I don't think it matters what you tell them. Not to discourage anybody from seeking answers, but I think chat support is entirely a waste of time. The people you're talking to don't know anything. And that's not a shot at them. I'm not saying that they're lazy or incompetent or anything. I'm just saying that I don't think they have the tools at their disposal to give you an actual answer to your concern. It doesn't even sound like they're equipped with the ability to give token discounts or anything to try to assuage concerns.

The_Lump

Banned
For the first time in 14 or so years, I bought a console from my local(ish) independent game shop. I walked in, asked if they are expecting to get any SNES minis and the guy said they are expecting a second shipment in a few days time and that they "technically" have 2x left (I guess they were hoping to snag a couple themselves?). Anyway, I got one reserved and a friend picked it up for me yesterday. Sooo happy.

Rather fitting that my favourite retro console had to be bought from an old school indie game store :)

I don't think it matters what you tell them. Not to discourage anybody from seeking answers, but I think chat support is entirely a waste of time. The people you're talking to don't know anything. And that's not a shot at them. I'm not saying that they're lazy or incompetent or anything. I'm just saying that I don't think they have the tools at their disposal to give you an actual answer to your concern. It doesn't even sound like they're equipped with the ability to give token discounts or anything to try to assuage concerns.

That's fair.

In my mind (I'm old ;) ) these are phone calls where you can escalate to a manager and maybe make some progress. Practically, I realize most of these communications are done through the website chat feature, which makes that escalation more difficult.

I'm thinking of trying to physically call, and see if I can at least talk to a call center manager.

To be fair, the call center may have top down standing orders not to budge on this and even management may be powerless to act.

Just wish we could yell at those who are actually at fault in a way that forces them to listen.

That's fair.

In my mind (I'm old ;) ) these are phone calls where you can escalate to a manager and maybe make some progress. Practically, I realize most of these communications are done through the website chat feature, which makes that escalation more difficult.

I'm thinking of trying to physically call, and see if I can at least talk to a call center manager.

To be fair, the call center may have top down standing orders not to budge on this and even management may be powerless to act.

Just wish we could yell at those who are actually at fault in a way that forces them to listen.

I hear you. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I've gotten angry at a CS Rep or two that probably didn't deserve it. But I'm pretty confident that chat reps are the first line of defense that basically just there to give the veneer of live human beings that are there to help you solve your problems all the while possessing no actual decision-making authority nor the ability to escalate to anybody who can. You might have more luck with calling.

Peagles

Did it not apply the other way round too? USA retailers allowed to ship abroad? Japan retailers shipping abroad?

Also, why are some people buying 3 versions of the SNES classic?

It was exceptionally difficult for me to order from outside the US, even with a US forwarding address. The only order I have left that hasn’t been cancelled (and I believe most were cancelled because they know I’m not in the US) is my Amazon one and that’s in purgatory for now.

In contrast it was very simple to order one from the UK/EU, I was able to make several orders in just in case they were hard to get here, but ended up not needing any of them.

He has a point though. They should first sell the stock to the people that actually live in those countries before letting people abroad order too.

I agree. It’s an unfortunate effect of globalisation but easily fixed by restricting shipping abroad.

lol at the people dissing the US design but bitching about people from other countries ordering EU and JP units while they can't get one.

People from outside not wanting it means more stock for the locals. So joke is on you: we could actually buy one.

People from outside did want it (like me), but it was pretty much impossible to order. Very few of your retailers do international shipping and those that do (Amazon) had it restricted only to US addresses.

Yeah, this. I live in the UK and had orders cancelled by three different vendors, while others were so swamped I couldn't get anything in my cart before the preorders were already sold out. Meanwhile there's people here with multiple UK preorders shipping to Canada and the US and wherever the hell. Thanks guys :(

It’s too late for launch shipment, but have you thought about ordering for the next stock wave in a local brick and mortar store? It’s much easier if you aren’t competing in the same (online) space IMO.

Edit: Also FWIW I do like both designs but prefer the PAL/SFC over the US console. I didn’t grow up with any of them cos I was a Sega girl.

SKINNER!

Banned
It was exceptionally difficult for me to order from outside the US, even with a US forwarding address. The only order I have left that hasn’t been cancelled (and I believe most were cancelled because they know I’m not in the US) is my Amazon one and that’s in purgatory for now.

In contrast it was very simple to order one from the UK/EU, I was able to make several orders in just in case they were hard to get here, but ended up not needing any of them.

Ah I see. That's quite insightful. Can I ask where your location is? I presume you're not in US or UK/EU. So Amazon was the only US retails store that allowed shipping of US SNES mini abroad. That would explain why I'm not seeing much US SNES Minis in Ebay in EU/UK.

Naythan

My amazon UK order just arrived this morning. If you live in the southeast united states and ordered one keep an eye on the mail today!

My Amazon UK order has been stuck at "Initiated customs clearance process" since Sunday :/ Don't know if normal?

Have you been checking via the Amazon website or actually putting the tracking number into iParcel?

Mine was the same, and I did the tracking via iParcel, which then provided a UPS tracking number. Mine is suppose to arrive tomorrow. A whole week earlier than their original estimate.

Daily reminder that Walmart 8/22 orders are stuck in preparing limbo.

I feel for the people who are in limbo, but not all 8/22 orders are stuck. Mine shipped on Monday and it's coming today.

Have you been checking via the Amazon website or actually putting the tracking number into iParcel?

Mine was the same, and I did the tracking via iParcel, which then provided a UPS tracking number. Mine is suppose to arrive tomorrow. A whole week earlier than their original estimate.

Yea, do this. Then from the i-parcel page you will get a proper UPS tracking number. Mine still says arriving 10/13 on Amazon, but it actually arrived yesterday.

Daily reminder that Walmart 8/22 orders are stuck in preparing limbo.

wow walmart fucked up

I managed to order on 8/25 and according to the website, it shipped a few days ago(whether or not I actually receive in a few days is another thing) but yeah they fucked up big time

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I hear you. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I've gotten angry at a CS Rep or two that probably didn't deserve it. But I'm pretty confident that chat reps are the first line of defense that basically just there to give the veneer of live human beings that are there to help you solve your problems all the while possessing no actual decision-making authority nor the ability to escalate to anybody who can. You might have more luck with calling.

I called amazon, escalated thrice and finally got a meaningful answer, if not an explanation.

Problems with stock/ that supplier, shipping the 11th despite no indication on the site in my orders.

DAILY REMINDER: amazon still hasn’t officially explained, acknowledged or apologized. And they did the same thing with the NES. I got one from the stupid treasure truck but still no explanation.

My Amzon UK order got here on Tuesday. It was originally scheduled for the 13th so I was pleasantly surprised to see it when I opened it.

I'm in CA.

Still in the box as I have no time to check it out yet. This will be perfect for Niners tailgates.

Just called (physically phone called) Walmart.com.

Let the CS rep what was going on. He said that what walmart is currently doing is rerouting units that are going to the physical stores as they come in to pre-orders and to give it 2-3 more days.

I then asked him to escalate a message up the chain...specifically about the fact that there are people who pre-ordered on the 25th who are already getting units, and a lot of people who pre-ordered on the 22nd who have not. He agreed that that sucked, and escalated that message to management (I could hear him typing in the background...could mean nothing, could mean everything). he said I should expect to hear back from that team within 24 hours.

(keeping in mind, I do not begrudge people who ordered on the 25th their SNES minis, just that its kind of not fair for those who ordered on the 22nd).

So that's what I was told. I'll drop anything I hear as I get that info.

Peagles

Ah I see. That's quite insightful. Can I ask where your location is? I presume you're not in US or UK/EU. So Amazon was the only US retails store that allowed shipping of US SNES mini abroad. That would explain why I'm not seeing much US SNES Minis in Ebay in EU/UK.

I’m in New Zealand. I didn’t find a single US store that would ship outside of the US, not even Amazon would. I frequently use Amazon for purchases, but actually, the SNES Classic was one of the few items I’ve ever tried to order that required a US address.

TheGrue

I cancelled my Walmart order back on Friday because I was able to walk into a store and get one. They didn't cancel it and shipped it out on Monday and now it's coming today. Kind of wish I could trade it out for an NES Classic. Sucks that people in here are backordered and I actually tried to cancel one and Walmart didn't do it.

Seriously impressed that my Amazon.es pre-order from the 28th, a day before release and using the cheapest shipping method, is already set to arrive this afternoon. That's roughly a full week before my Amazon US pre-order from more than a month ago would've even shipped.

Just got an email from Walmart saying that the snes classic I ordered is back ordered.

Order placed on August 22nd.

Chat rep told me earlier today that it would ship today and I would get it tomorrow.

LiK

Same, just got the backordered email too. Guess they remembered the 8/22 preorders are still live. Quite irksome they shipped out 8/25 preorders first. Morons.

Nivane

Target preorder incoming finally. It was sent on 9/27 and has been bouncing around the Twin Cities, less than 30 miles from my house, for a week. Just got notice it's coming tomorrow. Worst shipping ever.

10/05/2017 - Thursday
4:40 am Departed FedEx location ROGERS, MN
4:11 am Arrived at FedEx location ROGERS, MN

10/04/2017 - Wednesday
4:13 pm Departed FedEx location SAINT PAUL, MN
3:01 pm Arrived at FedEx location SAINT PAUL, MN

10/03/2017 - Tuesday
8:59 pm Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service
8:25 pm Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST OSSEO, MN
2:35 pm Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST OSSEO, MN
6:14 am Departed FedEx location SAINT PAUL, MN

10/02/2017 - Monday
2:58 pm Arrived at FedEx location SAINT PAUL, MN
2:08 am In transit MAHTOMEDI, MN

10/01/2017 - Sunday
12:09 pm In transit MAHTOMEDI, MN

9/30/2017 - Saturday
10:25 pm In transit MAHTOMEDI, MN

Saganator

Same, just got the backordered email too. Guess they remembered the 8/22 preorders are still live. Quite irksome they shipped out 8/25 preorders first. Morons.

Let me guess, your delivery date is set for the 6th? Pretty sure those back order emails go out the day before the delivery date if your order hasn't been shipped yet.

LiK

Let me guess, your delivery date is set for the 6th? Pretty sure those back order emails go out the day before the delivery date if your order hasn't been shipped yet.

Yup, I wasn't expecting them to ship it a day before the arrival estimate.

ZugZug123

Wow, I thought this thread was locked.

I received mine from Game UK in 3 business days (I'm in the US) but reading all the pain from folks dealing with Amazon US is just cementing my resolve to never even consider them for hot gaming products anymore. I'm already pissed at Prime delivery quality decay for regular orders, don't need another source of aggravation.

Tabasco

Wow, I thought this thread was locked.

I received mine from Game UK in 3 business days (I'm in the US) but reading all the pain from folks dealing with Amazon US is just cementing my resolve to never even consider them for hot gaming products anymore. I'm already pissed at Prime delivery quality decay for regular orders, don't need another source of aggravation.
It's funny because I barely missed the Best Buy pre-order window and would have preferred them without hesitation. :/

Top Bottom