• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

inner-G

Banned
Posting in this thread last night inspired me to try and grab some stuff I was missing at a local shop. I was pretty surprised by the selection, so I went a little overboard.

TsGHW.jpg

I'm pretty stoked!

This system holds up so well, it really is a testament to the simple game design and general fun factor that makes these games so timeless and appealing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
you did very good on illusion of gaia and magical quest, pretty good on secret of mana, and poorly on sim city and legend of the mystical ninja. weird prices. was it a chain of stores, or just a local one-off?

Tymerend

I got the SNES on release day, a few days before I started high school. Got F-Zero as well. My sister and I were pretty much glued to Super Mario World for weeks.

To this day it's still my favorite system. I won't even bother listing all the games I enjoyed on it, too many to really list and they'll all be repeated a zillion times in this threat anyway.

It's not even nostalgia coloring my memories. I still play and love those games.

I can't believe it's been 20 years since it was brought out in the US.

inner-G

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
you did very good on illusion of gaia and magical quest, pretty good on secret of mana, and poorly on sim city and legend of the mystical ninja. weird prices. was it a chain of stores, or just a local one-off?
Sim City was actually $1.99. It had been on the shelf a long time, and the others were all 1.99, I just grabbed this cart because it was in the best shape! :D

I know I overpaid on Mystical Ninja but it is pretty rare to find at least where I'm from. I'll just say it is a local chain, (not giving up my honey hole! Ha!)

Nice thread.

I got mine back in 92, IIRC. It was the Street Fighter 2 bundle, my first ever experience of SF, and have loved the series ever since. Being in PAL land, I never knew how ugly the NTSC carts were compared to ours...ugh. Also, the control pads with the red/blue/yellow/green buttons are so much nicer, IMO.

inner-G said:
Sim City was actually $1.99. It had been on the shelf a long time, and the others were all 1.99, I just grabbed this cart because it was in the best shape! :D

I know I overpaid on Mystical Ninja but it is pretty rare to find at least where I'm from. I'll just say it is a local chain, (not giving up my honey hole! Ha!)

A couple of years ago, I went into a local used game store and there was a copy of Chrono Trigger for $80...a complete set, in the box with instruction manual and everything. At the time I didn't have a job, so common sense told me it was a bad idea to waste $80 on a single game, even if it is my all-time favorite game.

The present me is furious at my past self now.

inner-G

Banned
Incendiary said:
A couple of years ago, I went into a local used game store and there was a copy of Chrono Trigger for $80...a complete set, in the box with instruction manual and everything. At the time I didn't have a job, so common sense told me it was a bad idea to waste $80 on a single game, even if it is my all-time favorite game.

The present me is furious at my past self now.
I bought Earthbound new when I was a kid, complete, for like $40.
Absolutely loved/love it, beat it multiple times.

...then I traded it in towards some 64 game I can't remember.

I got it cart-only later, off of ebay for like $60. Still love and play it, but damn I wish I had that box and manual :(

Kato

For me the SNES was a natural progression coming from the NES and Sega MS/MD. It would give me the upgrades in graphics sounds and gameplay I hoped for. And I was already heavily involved in the gaming scene for years with the C64 and Amiga. From messing around with trainers and intro's to playing my ass off when there was time between my jobs, my other hobbies and my girlfriend, now my wife happy to say.

Back then the SNES had it all and I was there for day one. Everything I wanted and more but it had one big ass minus for me as a PAL gamer. The damn regional lockout and horrible 50Hz. So through import shops and friends overseas I got the stuff I wanted. I think I went through 5 or 6 converters ranging from brands like Action Replay/Datel to no brand HK shit and leading up to a 50/60 Hz switch just to play my US import RPG's of which I have a truckload if not close to all. That's why in a thread about the NTSC U/J PSX games I said I was not at all impressed by the games offered through the Nintendo VC shop.

Although I love every SNES-game I have in my collection; My most precious possessions have to be Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy II (IV), Final Fantasy III (VI), Earthbound (Mother II), Lufia: Fortress of Doom, Lufia: Rise of the Sinistrals, and LoZ: Link to the Past. Not so much of their awesomeness in general but because at the time I went through great lengths to get them as close to the US launch as possible. I just loathed the 50 Hz black bars of squished nightmares and intolerable slowdown of the PAL versions and the fear of not getting a Euro release. Or because they are just great and I replay them yearly. And those games are the ones right there for grabs and others are in a box tucked away nicely on the attic to keep them safe or because I can play them on DS or VC or whatever.

Almost all my RPG's have beautiful strategy guides from either Prima, Brady Games or NP. Again through import or by dumb luck on some games convention..the term convention taken very lightly.

The SNES and MD, (ignoring the handhelds for now) for me are the golden years of gaming. Not that I don't like gaming at the moment because I do, but I just love 2D and the charm that comes with it..

RedSwirl said:
Oh, and everyone's SNES is still plugged up right?
If you mean sitting in a box somewhere, then yes. Yes, it is.

No but seriously, I only have an HDTV and I don't what the end result would even look like if I tried to set up my SNES. But if it makes you feel any better, I became a victim to my own hype - spending $40 on the Virtual Console today buying SNES games and playing them on and off all day. (Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors.) All great friggin' games.

qq more

RedSwirl said:
Oh, and everyone's SNES is still plugged up right?
If it counts, I have the RetroN 3 hooked up to my HDtv.

I still have my original SNES, but I don't have the S-Cables for it. :(

DrMungo

Brings back such memories. I had an NES, but only had a few games. Really got into games with the SNES. Super Mario World packin at launch was one of the best launch games ever. SF2 blew me away with how close it was to the arcade for a home console in 1992.

Peak of 2D gaming gaming design, so many games still hold up so well. (RPGs, platformers). Genesis had the sports games, but as we see, they were quickly eclipsed.

Pretty seminal and influential system as well - it provided the blueprint for all present controller layouts,gave introduction to shoulder buttons, and rudimentary use of 3-D with "Mode 7". SNES-CD also turned into Playstation (not by Nintendo's choice of course).

entremet

Definitely my favorite console.

My favs by publisher:

Nintendo
Super Mario World
Link to the Past
Super Metroid
StarFox
Super Mario All Stars
Stunt Race FX
Super Mario Kart
F-Zero
Yoshi's Island
DKC2
illusion of Gaia

Konami
Contra 3
Turtles in Time
Castevania IV

Capcom
Mega Man X
Mega Man 7
SSF2
Demon Crest
Disney's Aladdin
Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse

Sunsoft
Death Valley Rally

Squaresoft
Secret of Mana
FFIII
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Evermore

thebeeks

Banned
Our family was...well, we weren't super well off through the late 80s/90s. We got our first SNES for Christmas '97, until that my sisters and I had been playing the 2600 and NES with about four games each.

Earlier that year, our family had gone on a road trip to Florida to attend my grandfather's funeral. The hotel we stayed at allowed customers to rent a SNES and a game for a day for a couple of bucks. Mom let us rent one after the funeral service in order to raise our spirits, so my sisters and I picked Super Mario World. I've never had a bigger shock in gaming than going from games like Cookie Monster Munch and ET: The Extra Terrestial to Super Mario World. I didn't ask for too much as a kid, I knew we had limits, but I had to have that Super Nintendo.

That Christmas still ranks among my best Christmases ever. We got the then-new Super Nintendo Mini Redesign with Yoshi's Island and one of our aunts also gave us Aladdin. Man, I thought Super Mario World was the greatest looking game I had ever laid eyes upon until we plugged in Yoshi's Island. I remember sitting there for about five minutes, just watching Yoshi blink. No one on the NES ever blinked.

When school was back in session, all my classmates gave me shit about my seven-year-old system, as they had all gotten games for their N64s and PlayStations. Fuck 'em, I had a Super Fucking Nintendo.

I was still pretty young even when the Nintendo 64 was the new hot system on the market, so I didn't play a Super Nintendo game until around 2000 when the babysitter I had at the time let me and the other kids play the family SNES. The NES and N64 were there too, but I remember my friends and I getting the most playtime out of the Super. A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, the Donkey Kong Country games...I think that's when I really started getting hooked on video games and Nintendo games specifically.

Eventually my sister bought one from a friend, so I was pretty stoked about that. I remember buying Super Mario RPG at a local Gamecrazy and playing it when my sister was away since I was too scared to ask permission to go in her room most of the time.....great game anyway.

Even now there are at least a dozen or more Super Nintendo games that I plan to play like Final Fantasy VI and Earthbound. It's really a fantastic system with a fun library packed with variety.

I'm gonna save this thread for later so I can read though thoroughly instead of skimming. : P

Zing

Banned
zerotol said:
I'm pretty sure I paid $80 for this when it came out:

YtolO.jpg

but it was sooo worth it!

You live in Canada? I bought that on day one from Babbage's in Ohio and it was $65.

I ended up trading it in for $50 store credit a couple weeks later. At the time, I thought it was pretty boring, especially compared to Final Fantasy II.

Grisby

Played SMW at the local Lowes and had to have one. So many great memories with that thing. I was one of the suckers who kept buying the Street Fighter incarnations.

It was 1992; my brother and I got it for Christmas that year, and we chose it because it was the console that had Street Fighter 2 released on it. We started with Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2, and later got Mario Paint and Maximum Carnage. In the SNES' actual lifespan, I didn't receive/buy many games for it...we rented most of the games we played.

Later, when I got older and had my own money, I started building a SNES library. I bought all the games I loved the most as a kid:

- Zelda LTTP
- FFIII
- Chrono Trigger
- NBA Jam
- Mortal Kombat 1/2
- Mega Man X
- Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
- UN Squadron
- Contra 3
- Turtles in Time
- Mario RPG
- Yoshi's Island
- SF2 Turbo/Super SF2
- Killer Instinct
- Donkey Kong Country
- Starfox
- Super Mario All-Stars
- Mario Kart

SNES is the best system ever. It was the best at everything - graphics, sound, control, library...everything. Part of the excellence of the GBA (and even the DS by proxy) is the library that was fortified in both ported titles and gameplay design by the SNES, even 10 years into the future.

Bgamer90

Banned
My favorite system of all time. Got it when I was 5 (1995).

Super Mario World, Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, Goof Troop, F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Aladdin, etc.

DeSo

Banned
Must have been Christmas '94, came with Super Mario All-Stars and parents bought Donkey Kong Country for my brothers and I as well. I was ten. Best Christmas ever. I'd never remember all the games I played on that thing. Some notable classics: Megaman X (must have played through that at least 20 times), Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Mortal Kombat II...

Zing

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
The SNES always played/controlled slow and clunky to me and the music sounded like they used too much horns/trumpets.

The SNES is slow. The main CPU should have been about twice as fast as it was. The music does tend to sound kind of "samey" in certain games because it uses wavetable synthesis (pre-recorded samples) instead of FM (like the Genesis and others).

inner-G said:
Sim City was actually $1.99.

Sim City was one of the first games I acquired this year when I got back into the SNES. Unfortunately, there is a huge bug with the game. Every time you load a city, it thinks your entire city has no power for a few game months! People will leave your city and be unhappy and there is nothing you can do about it!

thebeeks said:
Man, I thought Super Mario World was the greatest looking game I had ever laid eyes upon until we plugged in Yoshi's Island. I remember sitting there for about five minutes, just watching Yoshi blink. No one on the NES ever blinked.

I've been playing the SNES quite a bit lately, and Yoshi's Island seems to me to be one of the most advanced games in regards to graphics. It looks even more amazing when you realize that the SNES without any cartridge co-processors cannot even rotate a single sprite. When you start playing Yoshi's Island and you see sprites rotating, stretching, wiggling, and scaling in real-time, it is stunning.

neoemonk

I learned how to do Shoryukens on both sides of the screen on the SNES.

I still have one in my basement, although the only game I own for it is NBA Live '96, and that was given to me about three years ago by a friend that knew I had the system and found the game while cleaning out his closet.

I really miss the ActRaiser series. I don't think it holds any nostalgic value, but I absolutely loved ActRaiser 2, although I was disappointed in the removal of the sim elements. I just thought it looked so beautiful and I loved the difficulty in the game.

There are so many other games for that system that I loved as well. I wish I would have had the brains to hold on to them.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm currently exiting the retro scene (again... for the 3rd time) and am selling up SNES/MD.

Bought SNES and MD machines on PAL launch - we didn't really have the cash to afford import machines. I'd sold out SNES and MD before leavign the UK for Japan, but bought both equivalent JPN machines instantly and built up a sizeable collection for both... then sold them... the bought them back then sold... then bought back again lol.

Sale is in full swing, but recently was at :

180 boxed CIB Megadrive games - about 80 unboxed
280 boxed CIB SFC games - about 120 unboxed

I have some pictures on Flickr, but can't access from office. The SFC box arts are what i miss the most about the games - they are glorious especially if the boxes are well tended to. RGB output to a good monitor makes the machines really shine too.

Too many awesome games to mention - pouring one out for SFC Games :

EVO
Alien 3
Sutte Hakkun
Ashibe
Super Aleste
FM: Gunhazard
Little Magic
Super Metroid
Wild Guns
Gegege No Kitarou
Keeper
Shin Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun
Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun
Cybernator
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Mazinger Z
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy
Demon's Blazon
Miracle Girls
Umihara Kawase
Legend
Rendering Ranger
Biometal
Magical Pop'n
etc etc etc etc etc....

amazing machine, incredible library

KariOhki

Neo Member
It was spring 1993, after that super winter storm had come through the northeast. My mom and I had gotten bored of playing board games and card games, so we went out to Toys R Us to get a video game system. Before this, I had apparently played NES at a friend's house, but I don't remember. So we're at the store, and mom is polling the other kids - Sega or Nintendo? They all said Nintendo, so we got the SNES bundle with Super Mario World and a mail in for All-Stars.

It took us a half hour to get off the world map and into a level other than Yoshi's House, we didn't know we could use the d-pad on the map. I didn't get a lot of the big games, stuck to Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong and some licensed crap. I didn't get Earthbound until around 2000, and it was a lucky cart+box find for $7. Other big games (Chrono Trigger, FF4 and 6, Super Metroid) I didn't play until remakes or Virtual Console came. And then a ton I just skipped.

My SNES isn't in the best of shape, same with the games. The system is pretty yellow, and a lot of games have graphical glitches or don't work.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I got the system a few months after it came out, went to Funcoland and traded in my NES and like ~30 games for the system and Cybernator.

cybernatorboxart.jpg

I never owned Super Mario World. I think I ended up owning about 50 games, SFII:Turbo got the most playtime by far.

zerotol

Banned
Zing said:
You live in Canada? I bought that on day one from Babbage's in Ohio and it was $65.

I ended up trading it in for $50 store credit a couple weeks later. At the time, I thought it was pretty boring, especially compared to Final Fantasy II.

Nope, I live in the US. I bought it when it came out and IIRC, it was $79.99. I might be wrong though, maybe it was $69. It was a long time ago. Either way, it was one of my favorites.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ZeroRay said:
Got one for my 6th birthday from my friend's dad.

First system for my own, got Super Mario World along with it. My parents made a rule that I could only get a new game after I beat the one I have, too bad my SMW cart was glitched and erased data and fucked up the B button on my controller.

Got a cool little game called Firestrikers for my 7th birthday, it was a top down brickbreaker type of game but with actual characters. The games started rolling in for me (relatively speaking) after that. Got Lion King and Maui Mallard, two good Disney platformers and traded Firestrikers for Chrono Trigger with the same friend mentioned earlier. He wanted a trade back years later lol. Most other games, I rented or played at a friends' house due to the expensive nature of the hobby.

Another friend had a Genesis but it gave the worst impression of a system a young kid could get. He had Columns II, which I didn't understand at all and a football game which I thought was crap. So for a long time I believed the Genesis to be a totally inferior system to the SNES.

First time I saw FireStriker mentioned on NeoGAF... really fun game with a great twist on the traditional Arkanoid gameplay.

Christmas of '91, I chose a Genesis... it really came down to Phantasy Star 2/3 vs. Final Fantasy 4... A few years later, I sold my Game Boy and 10 games or so to buy a SNES and FF4, later getting Secret of Mana, EVO and 7th Saga. SNES remains my favorite game system ever, even though the Genesis ain't no slouch either!

illadelph

I got a SNES when I was 3 or 4 years old. My mom was pregnant with my little brother in the hospital and my dad bought it for her so she would have something to do. She really couldn't figure it out and wasn't that interested in it, so I ended being the one who played it. Most of the time, playing that thing is the only thing I wanted to do.

It all started with Super Mario World, which is my favorite game to this day. I fell in love with Yoshi, and hated having to leave him outside of castles and ghost houses. All of the secrets that SMW was loaded with blew my little mind. Discovering Star Road was a "holy shit" moment, but then there was an even more secret world after that:

SMWSpecial.jpg

Of course I ended up getting Mario All-Stars and loved it. Then on one of my birthdays, my dad got me Donkey Kong Country. His favorite game growing up was the original Donkey Kong arcade game, so I guess he was all about buying this for me. DKC was sooo good, and the two sequels were even better. A lot of the really late SNES games ended up being my favorites, like DKC 3, Yoshi's Island (spent hours on that one), and this:

Super-Mario-RPG-SNES-Box.jpg

Oh my God. This game. I had never played an RPG before in my young life... I was so impressed by the graphics and the ability to move in a "3-D" space - up, down, left, right, diagonally....it had all of the characters I loved, plus a bunch of new ones in this crazy ass game. So much cool stuff was in this game. When I wasn't playing it, I was reading the official player's guide. It was the most awesome thing ever to get to play as Princess Toadstool and BOWSER. This guy had been my mortal enemy throughout my young life and now he was fighting on my team. So fucking cool.

Other favorites in my childhood were Mario Kart (I had Mario Kart underwear at one point) and Turtles In Time (I didn't own it, just rented it a thousand times).

I ended up selling my SNES and all of my games to my friend for like 40 or 50 bucks when the Gamecube was coming out. This of course was the worst decision of my life. I have since repurchased a SNES and a lot of the games I used to have, as well as some other amazing shit I missed out on (LTTP, Super Metroid, NBA Jam, Star Fox, and on and on), and there's still a lot of stuff I have yet to check out. I consider it to be the greatest system ever made.

Happy 25th, Super Nintendo. You may have grown yellow and discolored over the years, but you are still as fun as the day you were born.

SMB is what got me interested in video games. I had a NES and loved it, and was really excited when SNES was announced. My best friend and I rented the system along with SMW and Final Fight when it first came out. We were SO PUMPED to play Final Fight at home, but we ended up playing SMW the whole weekend instead--it was so, so good and Final Fight really wasn't all that great. We had both played SMB3 so much we were kinda burned out on Mario, and I remember being kind of disinterested in SMW at first, but that game was so damn good, it won me over.

Later on, another friend got the system and a bunch of games. I remember him showing me Final Fantasy II (IV), it totally blew me away. I loved FF on NES, but this was just such a leap forward. Especially the music! For 1991/92, that soundtrack was just astonishing, both the quality of the compositions and the sound programming. The graphics were great too--just a beautiful game. SMW made me say, "I really want a SNES" but FF2 made me say, "I need this thing!" I got a SNES for Christmas '92.

I loved my NES, but SNES is really the crucible that turned me into a gamer: I played SMW so much that I basically got good at games through that. I played SNES almost every day for like 4 years. In fact partly due to this I kind of burned out on games and sold all my stuff (I had a NES too) around '96. That was a really stupid decision (curse you, 15-year-old me!) But I'll always have fond memories of spending hour after hour in my bedroom with my SNES and a heapin' pile of quality software:

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
F-Zero
Super Mario Kart
SimCity
Rock'n'roll Racing
Magical Quest Starrin Mickey Mouse
SF2 - Hyper Fighting
Contra III

I got back into gaming a few years later, around the time I graduated from high school, and the emulation scene was ramping up then. I dove back into the SNES library, and some of my most memorable gaming experiences from college were playing fan-translated SNES RPGs, and classics that I had missed when I originally owned the system:

Final Fantasy V
Seiken Densetsu 3
Front Mission
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Castlevania IV
Tetris Attack

And the SNES has some staying power too, I'm still discovering SNES games today. Here are some choice selections that I played for the first time within the last 5 years or so:

Terranigma
Soul Blazer
The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang
Metal Marines
Wild Guns

Just such an amazing system, possibly my favorite ever. Incredible software library, and one of the best gamepads ever made too. <3 <3 <3

Got it for Christmas the year it came out. $199 with two controllers and SMW. I was so excited that I went and purchased Actraiser with my allowance money long before I actually got the system and just read the manual over and over. My rich, spoiled friend (well, he really was) received the system before Christmas from his Dad and so I went over there with my lone game in tow. I will never forget playing Actraiser the first time and hearing that wonderful, orchestral music. I was blown away. What a fantastic launch game.

It's funny I just found a bunch of my old SNES games last week. They're sitting in a bag under my desk at work because I can't figure out what the hell to do with them - I have no clue where my SNES is.

I've got Super Metroid, F-Zero, Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Zelda:LTTP, Mega Man X, Street Fighter 2, and Breath of Fire sitting here in their original boxes with instruction books, taunting me.

thebeeks said:
Our family was...well, we weren't super well off through the late 80s/90s. We got our first SNES for Christmas '97, until that my sisters and I had been playing the 2600 and NES with about four games each.

Earlier that year, our family had gone on a road trip to Florida to attend my grandfather's funeral. The hotel we stayed at allowed customers to rent a SNES and a game for a day for a couple of bucks. Mom let us rent one after the funeral service in order to raise our spirits, so my sisters and I picked Super Mario World. I've never had a bigger shock in gaming than going from games like Cookie Monster Munch and ET: The Extra Terrestial to Super Mario World. I didn't ask for too much as a kid, I knew we had limits, but I had to have that Super Nintendo.

That Christmas still ranks among my best Christmases ever. We got the then-new Super Nintendo Mini Redesign with Yoshi's Island and one of our aunts also gave us Aladdin. Man, I thought Super Mario World was the greatest looking game I had ever laid eyes upon until we plugged in Yoshi's Island. I remember sitting there for about five minutes, just watching Yoshi blink. No one on the NES ever blinked.
When school was back in session, all my classmates gave me shit about my seven-year-old system, as they had all gotten games for their N64s and PlayStations. Fuck 'em, I had a Super Fucking Nintendo.

Megaman would like a word with you please, sir.

I was first introduced in '92 with SMW. However I was a Genesis owner and had to result to swimming in pools of jealousy over the next course of that generation trying to come up with excuses as to why PS4 was better than Chrono Trigger, Beyond Oasis was better than LTTP, and TJ & E: Panic on Funkatron was better than DKC.

Never quite worked out.

teamaxe

I was a Commodore 64/PC person, so I skipped the NES. I did finally end up getting an SNES at the end of the console's lifecycle. I had Super Mario World, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat 2 and Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's Island is still the high-water mark for me.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
It's funny I just found a bunch of my old SNES games last week. They're sitting in a bag under my desk at work because I can't figure out what the hell to do with them - I have no clue where my SNES is.

I've got Super Metroid, F-Zero, Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Zelda:LTTP, Mega Man X, Street Fighter 2, and Breath of Fire sitting here in their original boxes with instruction books, taunting me.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Nintendo-NES-System-Video-Console/dp/B000035Y6D

They're really not that expensive. Easily found online.

Unless you're not interested in ever playing those games again.

Celine

it was 1997 when I went to buy a new game for my SNES.
Being young and not much informed it took me a while to choose between two games that I didn't know anything about.
Fortunately I chose this incredible masterpiece
m_1236674542080040.jpg

Still amazed to this day how good Terranigma is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Where do you live? Haven't seen Super Nintendo text paired with the Super Famicom logo and cartridge shell before.

Celine

Hitokage said:
Where do you live? Haven't seen Super Nintendo text paired with the Super Famicom logo and cartridge shell before.
Italy.
Photo isn't mine, but the pack in it is exactly the same I own ( it's the PAL/italian version ).

EDIT:
BTW I'm not sure to understand what you are speaking about.

I'm actually playing through Earthbound at the moment.

Its like the last of the 'big' Nintendo games/series I had never played so I always wanted to play through it, so I decided it was finally time to sit down with it.

And just a few months ago I finally played through Mario RPG, despite loving the later Paper Marios and M&L etc I had always meant to but never did play Mario RPG, the original! I enjoyed it a lot. SNES power! :D

Also re: Terranigma. I remember my Dad randomly bringing home a game he found at a store clearance. I had never heard of it before, but my sister played right through it heh. Then later on I learned of its history (PAL only in English etc). Now my JRPG collecting loving self is more than thankful for that random find. Yay for PAL regions (lolz).

diffusionx

Gold Member
Love the SNES, it's the system that turned me into a gamer. Okay, maybe on second thought, I should hate it.

teiresias said:
My launch SNES definitely DOES NOT look like the one on the right! What causes that?

**Actually, I'll have to check it next time I'm at my dad's house, maybe it does!**

Air causes it. I think it's the way the plastic was made or something.

teiresias

diffusionx said:
Air causes it. I think it's the way the plastic was made or something.

Well, yeah, I was just wondering if it's been narrowed down to a specific production run or something because they all obviously haven't aged like that.

Wazzim

Banned
Mine was a present from my grandmother, got Lemmings with it. Played that for a couple of months and got some other games afterwards like the Smurfs game. Great console.

Tiktaalik

This was the first system I bought with my own money. I absolutely adored it and I managed to compile a collection that comprises almost every great game released for the system.

I actually need to get a new one because I plugged it in recently to play Earthbound and noticed that the visuals were a bit messed up and fuzzy. I suppose it might have gotten half broken in a move.

Takuan

When I got my SNES, I played Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting to DEATH. Those were my only two games for the longest time. Besides that, I remember owning Chrono Trigger, 3 Dragonball Z fighting games, and Donkey Kong Country. Since cartridges were expensive back then and I wasn't allowed to spend too much time in front of the television, I tended to get a lot of mileage out of whatever was in my library. I'd borrow other games (mostly the pricey Square RPGS) from other friends.

Those were great times. Now, I have too many games and little to no time or urge to play.

Top Bottom