• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayMote

Wow, I have to admit that I underestimated Super Mario World. I played through it twice on VC and liked it enough, but didn't really love it, but now with the quest of 96 exits this puts things more into perspective! It just adds tons of fun not to only make it through the level, but to also transform it into an adventure game, where you have to perform all kind of tricks to find a hidden level exit. I'm looking forward to my next session!

2 questions: so levels that still have a hidden exit are turned red on the world map, right? And is the item that you need for a hidden exit (for example the cape feather) always also somewhere in the level or do you have to carry it through multiple levels sometimes?

Robin64

2 questions: so levels that still have a hidden exit are turned red on the world map, right? And is the item that you need for a hidden exit (for example the cape feather) always also somewhere in the level or do you have to carry it through multiple levels sometimes?

You can always get to a secret exit purely using that level's stuff, though it may be easier to bring things from elsewhere at times. For example, a Blue Yoshi with a shell in its mouth is an easy way to fly.

Then there are the Switch Palaces, four to find, which add blocks to levels. Some secret exits are made a lot easier with those enabled.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Know what would be cool to play on this?

Those Satellaview games. BS F-Zero 2, the BS Zelda titles, Excitebike Buzz Mario Battle Stadium, Kirby's Toy Box, etc.

Widge

Wow, I have to admit that I underestimated Super Mario World. I played through it twice on VC and liked it enough, but didn't really love it, but now with the quest of 96 exits this puts things more into perspective! It just adds tons of fun not to only make it through the level, but to also transform it into an adventure game, where you have to perform all kind of tricks to find a hidden level exit. I'm looking forward to my next session!

I remember there is one level that is a total fucker, where you have to fly under the normal exit to get to the secret exit.

SKINNER!

Banned
Treasure of the Rudras
Seiken Densetsu 3
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
TMNT IV: Turtles In Time
MightyMorphinPowerRangers: The Fighting Edition
Chrono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Bahamut Lagoon
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X-2
Mega Man X-3
Demon's Crest
ActRaiser
ActRaiser 2
Secret of Evermore
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Castlevania: Dracula X
Soul Blazer
Terranigma
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Super Street Fighter II
Shadowrun
X-Men: The Arcade Game
Maximum Carnage
Thunder Spirits
Space Megaforce

I'm probably missing a few I want, but those will be good for now. I've omitted listing the preloaded titles (plan to play them as well).

Great list!!

I want to get a SNES Mini so I can play all the SuperFX and SA-1 games I got in my collection since I currently can't do that on my SD2SNES.

Robin64

So currently we can't figure out how to enable the hi-res mode within the SNES Mini. We've been all over the header/footer for Secret of Mana, which uses it, and cannot fiind a switch there. There must be something else enabling it.

But this means anything that uses the hi-res mode, such as Seiken Densetsu 3 or Treasure of the Rudras, will currently come out blurry.

What's even weirder is if you extract the SoM ROM, then recomplile your own and upload it, it too comes out blurry and no longer uses the hi-res mode.

oLS9Bpv.jpg

KayMote

I remember there is one level that is a total fucker, where you have to fly under the normal exit to get to the secret exit.

Uff, no way I'm gonna find stuff like that on my own. But I'll guess that's okay. If you can't miss any exits permanently I'll just play through the game trying to find as many exits as I can on my own and then go back with a guide. Just like in the good old days.

Robin64

Uff, no way I'm gonna find stuff like that on my own. But I'll guess that's okay. If you can't miss any exits permanently I'll just play through the game trying to find as many exits as I can on my own and then go back with a guide. Just like in the good old days.

It's actually not too hard to find because there's an arrow sign beyond the goal. Makes you wonder what that's all about and how you could get there.

(You can use Yoshi instead of flying, too)

RaginRoss

Something that i've always liked about Super Mario World was that despite all the secrets, the game is designed so well that me and my dad got the full 96 exits back in the day without access to any guides / the internet etc.

You missed Super Smash TV.
Of course - thanks.

Who's bringing up Blackthorne?? You can download the amiga version for free on Blizzard which is way superior than the SNES version.

Better animations with frames missing from the SNES version, more detailed backgrounds, higher fidelity music. etc.
Never released for Amiga, you're talking about the MS-DOS version. Although I also had a PC back then I don't have nostalgia for DOS games. It's all about SNES and Amiga games for me these days, plus some Mega Drive and Neo Geo titles.

boxoctosis

It's actually not too hard to find because there's an arrow sign beyond the goal. Makes you wonder what that's all about and how you could get there.

(You can use Yoshi instead of flying, too)

It's also quite easy to do with the rewind functionality on the mini. Otherwise it's a right pain!

Also, not enough love in these threads for Cybernator / Assault Suits Valken - it's near the top of my list of things I'm going to add to the mini in the future.

Robin64

Also, not enough love in these threads for Cybernator / Assault Suits Valken - it's near the top of my list of things I'm going to add to the mini in the future.

One of my fave SNES games, though I never beat it without using the "get napalm on level 2" trick.

Kyonashi

I think my current list is:

Chrono Trigger
Sailor Moon: Another Story
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Live a Live
Puzzle Bobble
Tetris Attack

Gonna try and keep it to 10 and not mess with the overflow.

Yukinari

Something that i've always liked about Super Mario World was that despite all the secrets, the game is designed so well that me and my dad got the full 96 exits back in the day without access to any guides / the internet etc.

It feels good to remember where the top secret area is so i can abuse it for powerups.

So currently we can't figure out how to enable the hi-res mode within the SNES Mini. We've been all over the header/footer for Secret of Mana, which uses it, and cannot fiind a switch there. There must be something else enabling it.

But this means anything that uses the hi-res mode, such as Seiken Densetsu 3 or Treasure of the Rudras, will currently come out blurry.

What's even weirder is if you extract the SoM ROM, then recomplile your own and upload it, it too comes out blurry and no longer uses the hi-res mode.

The weirdest thing is that all you have to do to make the included ROM stop rendering correctly is change that game-specific value from 0x10b0 to anything else. So that definitely has something to do with it, it just won't even load another ROM if you try to use that value.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Hopefully you guys figure it out quickly. SD3 is my #1 game to add to the SNESC.

I'm lending you my strength!!

Yo!

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/commits/stable

It's happening, guys! :D

Edit: A Reddit user has compiled the latest Release Candidate (#2 at the time of writing) as it's fully usable. I would still advise that you wait until a "proper" release from Cluster, but it seems that this version works just fine for many people.

Arrrrrgh, so close to trying this out. Seems like it does everything the final version will do, just adding new native games...

Man, should I wait for an official release or not... These people makes it so hard :D

Robin64

Man, should I wait for an official release or not... These people makes it so hard :D

Do wait.

The weirdest thing is that all you have to do to make the included ROM stop rendering correctly is change that game-specific value from 0x10b0 to anything else. So that definitely has something to do with it, it just won't even load another ROM if you try to use that value.

Any chance you could find out what the Game ID for Rudra no Hiho (Treasure of the Rudras) is? This came out on Wii U Virtual Console too, but I don't know where to look to find this.

I am thinking, I have a Rudra no Hiho .sfrom already made, if we can find out the bytes for the Game ID, I can change it in the .sfrom and see if it activates the hi-res mode.

WildZero

On Cheese Bridge? You can always just sacrifice a Yoshi to jump under it. That's what I did when I cleared it on Wednesday.

I'm downloading the RC2; I won't use it to upload the games yet but I can use it to organize the ROMs, get game covers, etc.

It's also quite easy to do with the rewind functionality on the mini. Otherwise it's a right pain!

It was one of my top five games to add! Do be sure to use the Assault Suits Valken with the English patch, as Cybernator removed all the character portraits among other stuff.

Robin64

What about the exit to the Top Secret Area? Doesn't that require a feather from another level?

Probably the only one that does, yeah. I guess it's kinda special.

I'm downloading the RC2; I won't use it to upload the games yet but I can use it to organize the ROMs, get game covers, etc.

Just be aware that it doesn't give a crap if the first Google result for a game cover is a bad one or not, so you may just want to make your own. If you can be bothered, you'll get much better results.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Know what would be cool to play on this?

Those Satellaview games. BS F-Zero 2, the BS Zelda titles, Excitebike Buzz Mario Battle Stadium, Kirby's Toy Box, etc.

The problem with the "Ancient Stone Tablet" files is they require you to change the name of the save file to match next chapter's file name to continue you progress. That might be an obstacle.

Robin64

The problem with the "Ancient Stone Tablet" files is they require you to change the name of the save file to match next chapter's file name to continue you progress. That might be an obstacle.

It's a pain but doable with the hakchi firmware on the SNES Mini. You'd have to FTP in, browse to where the save is, and then move it to the folder with the same name as the part 2 ROM.

It's a pain but doable with the hakchi firmware on the SNES Mini. You'd have to FTP in, browse to where the save is, and then move it to the folder with the same name as the part 2 ROM.

I wonder if you put each rom in a different folder, but gave it the same game ID, if they would write to the same save file? That's how I originally played Ancient Stone Tablets on my Wii using SNES9X GX. Same file name, but different folders, so it reads and writes to the same file in the Saves folder.

Edit: If that works, you could probably even make a folder with the game's box art as the image, so that it only shows up as one game on the menu until you select it. Though really the best way to do it would be for someone to make a ROM with a menu to select a week.

Just be aware that it doesn't give a crap if the first Google result for a game cover is a bad one or not, so you may just want to make your own. If you can be bothered, you'll get much better results.

It doesn't pick the first Google result, it shows you a list and lets you choose. :) I have to say it's pretty addicting!

However, a reason for NOT using the RC2 yet: it has no SNES game database, meaning you would have to manually enter all the dates / publishers / 2p information manually for each ROM. Unless, of course, you don't care for that stuff... but then the alternate sorting modes become useless.

Robin64

It doesn't pick the first Google result, it shows you a list and lets you choose. :) I have to say it's pretty addicting!

Ah, it's been improved since the NES one then! Nice.

(There are still some games with terrible covers no matter, what mind, and I'm so anal that I take them into Photoshop, remove scuffs and marks, adjust the colours, and then scale down manually rather than letting hakchi do it)

Seik

Banned
Treasure of the Rudras
Seiken Densetsu 3
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
TMNT IV: Turtles In Time
MightyMorphinPowerRangers: The Fighting Edition
Chrono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Bahamut Lagoon
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X-2
Mega Man X-3
Demon's Crest
ActRaiser
ActRaiser 2
Secret of Evermore
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Castlevania: Dracula X
Soul Blazer
Terranigma
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Super Street Fighter II
Shadowrun
X-Men: The Arcade Game
Maximum Carnage
Thunder Spirits
Space Megaforce

I'm probably missing a few I want, but those will be good for now. I've omitted listing the preloaded titles (plan to play them as well).

Switch Maximum Carnage for Separation Anxiety and we have a deal!

Or just...both. :lol

Also, the Power Ranger: The Movie game is a pretty bad-ass co-op game too IIRC.

Ah just read that these don't come with AC adapter. So getting a EU one or any region one doesn't really matter as long as it's in english

FTR, my Euro SNES Classic Mini came with the USB cable, it just didn't come with the actual AC-USB plug adapter (the little cube or rectangle that plugs into the wall)

Ok, f'it.

I tried the RC2 version now and it's absolutely perfect and as easy as it can get.

Download, start, add ROMs, add pictures (basically just get your library ready) connect your SNES to the PC, press on backup the kernel (imporant if anything happens), synchronize, done.

First synchronizing takes 1 or 2 minutes, after that you can get new games on your system in like 10 seconds. Amazing. Just adding, synchronizing, done.

Tried Power Rangers and Lion King, both run perfectly.

You have 250mb space.

Now I only have to figure out how to gzip stuff, couldn't get this done yet.

I definitely recommend this version, if you only want to add new native games like me, here you go.

ktroopa

Ok, f'it.

I tried the RC2 version now and it's absolutely perfect and as easy as it can get.

Download, start, add ROMs, add pictures (basically just get your library ready) put SNES on the PC, press on backup the kernel (imporant if anything happens), synchronize, done.

First synchronizing takes 1 or 2 minutes, after that you can get new games on your system in like 10 seconds. Amazing. Just adding, synchronizing, done.

Tried Power Rangers and Lion King, both run perfectly.

You have 250mb space.

Now I only have to figure out how to gzip stuff, couldn't get this done yet.

I definitely recommend this version, if you only want to add new native games like me, here you go.

Noice. So the roms are converted to sfrom format automatically by hackchi?

Noice. So the roms are converted to sfrom format automatically by hackchi?

Yes. You have to do nothing, it's automatically.

Oh and what I also did is to deactivate folders in the options to have every game including the originals in one row.
Folders are activated by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom