• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I still have that shitty spider man x men arcade revenge cart in one of my boxes
Been ages since I played that shit but I'll give it a download to laugh and go mad x SHOOK at those clowns

I also have a bootleg or super famicon Mickey x Donald game that my cousin got from Peru so many years ago
That game was amazing x perfect co op play
All I know is that it played on my snes back in the day with no problems B^)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How's it compare to Simcity 2000?

The zoning model is simpler and the technical limitations keep the size of cities pretty constrained, but the thing about SimCity (SNES) is that it's not made by EA/Maxis, it's made by Nintendo, and there's a whole lot of interesting decisions that go along with it. Really one a kind. Great interface for the controller, good challenge, tons of content, spectacular soundtrack that really nails the mood of playing the game. Actually one of the best SNES games, honestly.

alf717

Completed Super Castlevania IV for the first time today. Went through the game with no rewinds wanted to play it with the original challenge intact. So after the game ends it just starts on the first maps. I'm curious if the game is running in a hard mode now after completion.

The zoning model is simpler and the technical limitations keep the size of cities pretty constrained, but the thing about SimCity (SNES) is that it's not made by EA/Maxis, it's made by Nintendo, and there's a whole lot of interesting decisions that go along with it. Really one a kind. Great interface for the controller, good challenge, tons of content, spectacular soundtrack that really nails the mood of playing the game. Actually one of the best SNES games, honestly.

This is why I enjoy this game so much. Played it a lot as a kid and wish it could of made the list of games on the mini. Man the music is superb in this game. I never landed that Megalopolis though. Always got close but couldn't get over the 500,000 mark. Years later I learned you could go even higher than that and you even get a special message. I think it is reaching a population of 600,000 people.

iidesuyo

I love this game so much.

Sadly once your city grows everything becomes super slow. Maybe because of that awful SNES CPU, I don't know.

UraMallas

Yep. One of my top 5. I used to play it and aLttP interchangeably throughout the entire SNES gen. Never got a 500k megalopolis even after learning the free money trick.

Kirbys dreamland 3

Never liked it too much compared to Super Star, but it might be time to give it another try.

Aladdin
Blackthorne

Blackthorne is a good pick, I've been considering it. Not sure whether to include any of the Disney platformers beyond the Mickey ones (and those mostly because of co-op).

Star Ocean

Doesn't work on the Mini SNES, I think?

Breath of Fire 3

Er... what? :D

Also final fantasy v is the one you need the language patch for, not iv.

While you do need one for V (I don't know why I didn't note it in my list, huh), there's a patch that retranslates the original FFIV as well. You get a much better translated story, a higher difficulty, and all the content that was cut from the FF II US release (items, abilities, summons, etc.).

While on that topic, also remember to use the retranslation patch for Breath of Fire II too; the original translation is a mess.

Ah I see that's awesome. I gotta get one lol

I think Hakchi2 is what allows you to go back to the menu with Down + Select, so you just have to wait for it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll also give this a try.

Guys, I just played through* Super Mario World for the first time.

I've played through bits and pieces before over the years (via others' completed saves), but goddamn, that game is absolutely timeless. I think I can maybe count 3 times where I felt the controls slip, otherwise, it was all about me and the game. I can't even imagine what 10 year old me would've thought playing this game for the first time.

*Played through meaning I critical path'd it. Took 2.5 hours, excluding the resets and replays (thank you, NCL). I've opened up the Star Road and going to go back and try to figure out the switches, haha Funny how the critical path was short though (again, I know it's meant to be replayable and I was cheating with the saves), in terms of length.

Reminds me of when I played just Chrono Trigger one summer, and when I played the Playstation and DS versions, a playthrough only clocked around 12.5 hours. 'Really??', I thought. I described it to a friend as feeling like when you go back to your old family home for the first time in a while and think, 'is my room smaller than I remember?' Haha

I'm not optimistic I won't do as well as I didn't get into Prime, but I've gor Super Metroid coming up.

Or Secret of Mana.

Or ALTTP.

Or Earthbound.

...I really don't care for any new games the rest of the year, tbh!!

With all the 'best year since xxxx' hype that 2017's getting, I'm glad this is a contributing factor to it.

Yeah so I'm playing Yoshi's Island for the first time and this game is harder than I expected. They're not kidding around with some of these instant death spikes and bottomless pits. The enemy placements are pretty tricky too. And checkpoints aren't super frequent. And some secrets are pretty well hidden.

It's not Super Meat Boy level of difficulty or anything, but it's not the walk in the park I was expecting either. I'm pretty happy with it, and I'm starting to see why this game is considered a classic.

*sees Space Mega Force mentioned often, Googles it*
Ah damn, it's ol' Super Aleste. Yeah, great vertical scrolling shmup. My favorites are still Axelay and UN Squadron, though.

dyreschlock

I wonder if there will be some kind of mod to be able to play 3, 4, or 5 player games on the Mini. I would love have be able to play the bomberman games with a full crew.

Chairhome

So I was pretty dumb, I kept wondering why the special moves in SFII Turbo weren't working for me, someone told me to switch filter and it worked...
but the real problem is that on reflex I would do the Dn,R,Up,L,Y,B code at the capcom logo, and that apparently turns off all special moves...
So I kept doing that and wondered why special moves were "broken.
...On regular SFII it lets you do mirror matches, and on this one you're supposed to do it on 2p controller AFTER the capcom logo to enable "mega turbo"

Celcius

°Temp. member
Played Kirby's Dream Course for the first time tonight... I had no idea that it'd be a 'golf' type game.

It still blows my mind how they got the physics calculations to be so good / accurate for an snes game with pseudo-3d graphics. Kirby rolls over different surfaces like you'd expect and when the projected launch line gets complicated then you can see the snes cpu start to struggle as it's updated in real time. Plus he behaves differently in water vs on land, there are warps, he speeds up and slows down appropriately, etc...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is why I enjoy this game so much. Played it a lot as a kid and wish it could of made the list of games on the mini. Man the music is superb in this game. I never landed that Megalopolis though. Always got close but couldn't get over the 500,000 mark. Years later I learned you could go even higher than that and you even get a special message. I think it is reaching a population of 600,000 people.

There are only a handful of the initial random number generator map seeds that allow you to hit a megalopolis without advanced glitches like partial building deletion. Maybe only one in the original 1,000 options (although the game secretly has another 1,000 options you can easily access and there's a few more there). Besides that you can do it on the waterless full land scenario you unlock after beating all the main scenarios, I believe.

RockmanBN

Hmm. Gonna look into it. Looked similar to 2000 which is why I asked. Played 2000 a bunch when I was younger.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My Super Famicom Mini just shipped.

Having both that and US SNES mini... that's double the space for custom games ;)

I think Hakchi2 is what allows you to go back to the menu with Down + Select, so you just have to wait for it.

Actually the 8bitdo controller + retro receiver he was mentioning has that built in already. Hakchi2 will be needed to let normal controllers do it.

shockdude

SNES Classic came in today, whoo.

As I feared, my soundbar screws up the SNES Classic's audio. Sucks.
The lack of Full RGB for PC monitors is unfortunate as well. Doesn't stop it from looking good, though.

The games themselves feel great. The controller is fantastic. I missed those concave XY buttons.
The controller works well on PC too using a Wiimote and the HID Wiimote driver.

My Super Famicom Mini just shipped.

Having both that and US SNES mini... that's double the space for custom games ;)

Actually the 8bitdo controller + retro receiver he was mentioning has that built in already. Hakchi2 will be needed to let normal controllers do it.

The 8bitdo returns to the menu with down + select too? I thought it was through a home button, like the Wii Classic controllers. Then again I don't even know if the 8bitdo has a home button. :D

DoomGyver

I wonder why 8bitdo is coming out with a snes only wireless controller? If you buy the retro Bluetooth receiver you can use the 8bitdo controller OR the wiiu pro controller, maybe even the switch pro controller. If you preorder the snes mini 8bitdo 2.4ghz wireless controller it will only work with that controller?? Doesn’t make sense.

And on top of that the 8bitdo Bluetooth retro receiver will also work with the NES mini.

fin

Can anyone recommend a HDMI switch that works good with SNES Classic? I got a cheap 3 port from Amazon and after working for about 3 hours it's now completely fucked. Works good for all my other devices but the SNES Classic just blinks on and off.

DonMigs85

I wonder if there will be some kind of mod to be able to play 3, 4, or 5 player games on the Mini. I would love have be able to play the bomberman games with a full crew.
A multitap with the Wiimote style ports lol. But would the emulator recognize it? That is the question

jwhit28

This is a good one

I’d also say Gokujou Parodius (quirky), and UN Squadron (hard, great soundtrack) for shmups. I like super R-Type also, mostly because we owned it back in the day

Super R-Type is the perfect save state game. That game's lack of check points were ridiculous. Still really good though. R-Type 3 is even better, and another vote for Thunder Spirits even if it isn't as good as the Genesis version.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yo!

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/commits/stable

rc1
ClusterM committed 8 hours ago

CheckBoxList replaced with ListView, group actions added. Release candindate #2.
ClusterM committed 3 hours ago

It's happening, guys! :D

Edit: A Reddit user has compiled the latest Release Candidate (#2 at the time of writing) as it's fully usable. I would still advise that you wait until a "proper" release from Cluster, but it seems that this version works just fine for many people.

Reknoc

I think, instead of trying to make this some sort of mega SNES library playing machine, I want to lean into the limitation a little and focus on making this a more personal machine. Get games that I loved as a child on it that I grew up with like:

DKC2/3
Aladdin
Tiny Toons Adventures
Mario All-Stars
Earthworm Jim 1/2
Mystical Ninja

Plus maybe some games I played a lot of as a kid but I don’t trust to be good now if they ever were like:

Boogerman
Asterix
The Mask
Family Dog

Also gotta hope and pray that Terranigma and Unirally work because the former is my favourite game of all time and the later was part of the first list.

Who's bringing up Blackthorne?? You can download the amiga version for free on Blizzard which is way superior than the SNES version.

Better animations with frames missing from the SNES version, more detailed backgrounds, higher fidelity music. etc.

ReyVGM

Yes but this is a SNES thread and people want to add the SNES Blackthorne to their SNES Classic to play with their SNES Controller like when they were kids playing with their real SNES.

Just curious how emulation is done on this device. Do all the games use 1 emulator? Or does each game use its own emulator built for that game?

Robin64

If you weren't comfortable using the manual method to load your own games on here, please wait for an official build from Cluster. Don't use third-party builds, he may make a tweak or two before compiling himself.

angelic

Banned
Completed Super Castlevania IV for the first time today. Went through the game with no rewinds wanted to play it with the original challenge intact. So after the game ends it just starts on the first maps. I'm curious if the game is running in a hard mode now after completion.

Yes it is.

angelic

Banned
Posted in the DF thread but it's dead, anyone get their framemeister working with this? Mine doesnt like it at all, 480p output and zero picture options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom