• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

I've had a few times when either resetting from the controller or using save states that the console gets stuck in a resetting loop :(

Yep. just happened again playing metroid. Hit reset, screen stays black, looks like it's trying to load the menu but keeps resetting

Not sure if it was asked, but if I wanted say patch FF3 with the FF6 patch do I have to hide all 21 of the original in order to hide the original version, or is it possible to just hide the original FF3?

Dimentios

fa58240403c9b94f54015daccbe48a03.jpg

I guess the colored "2P" stands for simultaneously multiplayer? It's probably debatable if the DKC trilogy is simultaneously or not. The second player can control the other kong only after a tagteam-like commando. I wouldn't call that simultaneously at all. Whatever.

I seem to have three different sizes for the covers. I'll guess earthbound was a big box title, so I would have to change that manually? For DKC 2 I used the one from Robin64 and his covers in his picture all touch the edges of the "cover-holder". Something I'm doing wrong.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hmm, I just realized that since my SNES doesn't turn on when plugged into a PC, there's no way that I know of to flash the original kernel. I think I'm fucked.

Anyone know any other way?

Robin64

I seem to have three different sizes for the covers. I'll guess earthbound was a big box title, so I would have to change that manually? For DKC 2 I used the one from Robin64 and his covers in his picture all touch the edges of the "cover-holder". Something I'm doing wrong.

EarthBound was a bigger box, yeah, so is bigger here.

Not sure why your DKC2 box got scaled down, might be thing they fixed from RC2. But if you just browse to the hakchi/snes_games/ folder, you'll find the .png covers in those folders and can just manually put the right size one in.

Pity. Well, the original 21 games in one page and the rest inside folders is good enough for me :)

Why don't you use custom folders (e.g. by genres) and sort the original 21 inside them?

And done, for now. Hopefully every sprite makes it obvious what games I added.

Now I can sit back and relax and actually play this damn thing! :D

31wsbfug.mwz3ust6.png

itsbeautiful.jpg
It's triggering a bit of my OCD that some are looking left and some are looking right, though. :D

You can just hide the single game, yeah.

You can? How?

Seik

Banned
EarthBound was a bigger box, yeah, so is bigger here.

Not sure why your DKC2 box got scaled down, might be thing they fixed from RC2. But if you just browse to the hakchi/snes_games/ folder, you'll find the .png covers in those folders and can just manually put the right size one in.

I'm sorry in advance, because I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times already, but what's the right size? I'm currently in the folder, but I have no idea what size to put them

My boxes are a tiny bit more little than the OG ones.

TheMoon

While I haven't hacked my SNESC just yet, thought I'd play around with making PAL style versions of the boxart, cos those are the version I grew up with (and it adds a bit of colour to the screen)

jeEmtzG.png
2YdRMaK.png
YLYUWv7.png

Though, it seems some PAL boxes (I believe the French versions) don't have that grey PAL VERSION text underneath the Super Nintendo logo (and there's not that many great versions of PAL boxes to choose from on the internet).

K9qW8I3.png

So have to decide if I photoshop that back in, leave them as is, or remove it from the others (I've been changing them to say NTSC VERSION ;) )

I'd rather have the "PAL VERSION" thing instead of all the other text. ^^

I'm sorry in advance, because I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times already, but what's the right size? I'm currently in the folder, but I have no idea what size to put them

My boxes are a tiny bit more little than the OG ones.

The ones I was making for myself - and the ones Robin64 made - are 228 x 160 pixels.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd rather have the "PAL VERSION" thing instead of all the other text. ^^

Well, you might note the lack of PAL NTSC VERSION under my StarFox box. That's because I based it off the French version (since that was the best version I could find), but I removed all that junk text over the StarFox crew.

Two titles I'm going to have problems with: Super Mario RPG and Earthbound, as they never had PAL release (or equivalents of) so I'm going to have to make up a colour for them. If I base it off the title screen I guess I could go blue for SMRPG (since it features those blue beams) and purple for Earthbound.

I'm not up to date about the hacking and being able to add more games. Seems like it's working now.

Is there a good step by step instruction?
I need Terranigma and Turtles in Time on that thing!

LordRaptor

I don't know why I'm surprised that games you add yourself and have save states for replay you playing them in demo mode, but I was - thats actually really cool

Damn Robin, you had the same idea as me. I also created 3 Final Fantasy Cover for myself in US boxart style.

And i tried to have the logo on all 3 on the exact same position, what was hard with FF6, but here we go, maybe some of you like them.

yxowzE3.png

khf4fOy.png

VQcKA3Y.png

SOLDIER

Asking again: some of the games I transferred aren't working correctly, even though they are verified working for others (Turtles in Time, DKC2, etc).

The common issues these games have is that the main 4:3 screen is misaligned with the border, and the sound is choppy and laggy.

I checked the ROM files and they have the same extension as the others. Is it just a simple case of starting over with transferring them?

Also Robin, can those sprite icons be shared as well? Would love to use those in addition to the reformatted box arts you created.

Can't wait until we can start using custom borders.

Jarnet87

This has probably been asked but the Hori Wireless Fighting Commander does not have the reset/home button ability correct? Have a nearby GameStop that shows they have stock so wanted to double check before buying.

SOLDIER

Also, are there any fan translations for FFIV, V and VI that use the official localization from the GBA releases, or something real close?

Asking in particular for FFV.

TheMoon

Well, you might note the lack of PAL NTSC VERSION under my StarFox box. That's because I based it off the French version (since that was the best version I could find), but I removed all that junk text over the StarFox crew.

Two titles I'm going to have problems with: Super Mario RPG and Earthbound, as they never had PAL release (or equivalents of) so I'm going to have to make up a colour for them. If I base it off the title screen I guess I could go blue for SMRPG (since it features those blue beams) and purple for Earthbound.

base them off of the Japanese boxes, which is where the PAL colors come from anyway (most of the time, anyway [see SMK]).

EB = red
SMRPG = white

Star Fox 2 would be purple then, btw.

Damn Robin, you had the same idea as me. I also created 3 Final Fantasy Cover for myself in US boxart style.

And i tried to have the logo on all 3 on the exact same position, what was hard with FF6, but here we go, maybe some of you like them.

yxowzE3.png

khf4fOy.png

VQcKA3Y.png

thing is, why force the god awful ESRB rating on there if you're doing it yourself anyway?

Finished adjusting the size of the small thumbnails so everything fits nicely! I also replaced the standard boxart with some neat 3D versions. Really happy with it.

Only at 38 games. Need to add some more gems.

8b41591d265411267fc03aa2b8376514.png

Dude you have to share these. Where did you get them?

Thanks

Also, could someone tell me if that Hakchi thing works on Mac? Please say yes. I only have macs in this household right now.

When you have the original games selected, the right hand side then has the individual games to hide or not.

Son of a...! I didn't realize that until now. Ah well, having them all as separate games makes thumbnail editing easier anyway.

Speaking of which, word to the wise. If you change the thumbnails, and then select a new cover from inside Hakchi, it will overwrite your custom thumbnail, obvious. But! If you simply copy your thumbnail (a quick Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V with it selected in Windows Explorer), you'll have a backup to avoid this. But wait, here's more. If you paste this as a .bat file in the games_snes folder and execute it, it will copy all your thumbnail backups back over the actual thumbnails.

Code:
@echo off
setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
for /D /r %%d in ("*") do for %%f in ("%%d\*- copy.*") do if %%f neq %~nx0 (
	set "filename=%%~nf"
	copy "%%f" "%%d\!filename:~0,-7!%%~xf"
)
pause

If you're using a regional copy of Windows, you have to adapt the above script accordingly: change where it says - copy to whatever your version of Windows appends to same-folder copied files. Additionally, where it says ~0,-7, change the 7 to the number of characters actually removed when renaming, including spaces (for example, I have Windows in Spanish, which appends " - copia", so I have to replace the 7 with an 8).

Disclaimer: I tested this and it works, but as everything that modifies your files, be sure to back up your games_snes folder before giving it a try.

Geedorah

Hmm, I just realized that since my SNES doesn't turn on when plugged into a PC, there's no way that I know of to flash the original kernel. I think I'm fucked.

Anyone know any other way?

Yes, just keep trying. Keep the unit off, then when you go to flash the original kernel, do the reset+power thing to turn it on. Most of the time the original FW will flash fine. But even with the original FW, it doesn't always power on as expected, at least for me...

kingbean

Asking again: some of the games I transferred aren't working correctly, even though they are verified working for others (Turtles in Time, DKC2, etc).

The common issues these games have is that the main 4:3 screen is misaligned with the border, and the sound is choppy and laggy.

I checked the ROM files and they have the same extension as the others. Is it just a simple case of starting over with transferring them?

Also Robin, can those sprite icons be shared as well? Would love to use those in addition to the reformatted box arts you created.

Can't wait until we can start using custom borders.

You're using an PAL copy of the game.

I’m missing something. How do I get my box art to be full sized like the iriginsl games. It’s driving me nuts having mid sized fuzzy box covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom