• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snowboard Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

I'm looking for a snowboard jacket to ask for for Xmas this year. These are the ones I like. Anyone have any suggestions?

Burton: Ronin 6/4 Down Jacket
3784_l.jpg

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/18202/29

Burton Element Snowboard Jacket - Men's
715226_2914.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/47837898.htm?

These are nice. Are you going more for waterproof or lightweight?

If you want to save money, I've used a simple Columbia jacket for the past 2 years I got at Marshalls for $30. I board just about every weekend from Xmas thru st pattys day and it hasn't failed me. But I don't ride in rain and the bulk doesn't bother me. I used to use a $250 North Face and I like the Columbia better. I've never been cold in it. Especially when I'm at Bretton Woods or Cannon in NH (which are always cold when I'm there)

But if youre asking for Xmas, money is no object. Go for the Ronin! Sweet jacket.

Mike

Sweet, thanks. I'd be paying for part of it myself, but I do like the Ronin jacket. Any brands to avoid?

Also, Rancid, where do you board?

EDIT: In response to your question, I'm going more for lightweight, but the Ronin jacket is apparently not that heavy.

Chony

I am algeric to Down, so I cant comment on the down jacket. I am also poor who likes to snowboard so I just put on a fleece, and put a rain jacket over it, problem solved. It's worked just fine, though I might plop down some dough for a nice jacket next year (no money this year). I go to Steven's Pass, Snoqualmie, Silver Mountain, Mt. Baker, Crystal Mountain, etc. Most stuff in the North West.

mint

Banned
m_outerwear_4J610.jpg

Mine is actually more grey than red. Skiing in Whistler from Dec 25-Jan3rd!! Anyone tried the short skis? I forgot what they were called, but I tried snowboarding and I just died from it.

I like the grey one btw.

Also, Rancid, where do you board?

I live outside Boston so I usually hit NH on weekends. Anywhere 2 hrs and under drive time. I like the smaller mountains. Ragged and Gunstock are my regulars. Loon & Sunapee are also some of my favorites but Loon is getting too crowded.

I'll make 1 trip to Killington and Bretton Woods once a season. Dying to go to Sunday River but I'm too lazy to drive the 5+ hrs.

How about you?

w0o

I just got a Helly Hansen 3 in 1 boarder jacket. I tried a bunch of Helly Hansens and I find they are all pretty good when you want both comfort and style. That Burton down jacket looks damn nice.

alejob

Hey guys, I want to buy a snowboard and go snowboarding but I know nothing it. I want a cheap and good(don't we all) snowboard. I've never been snowboarding or skiing. What kind of snowboard do you recomend?

Amazon has some pretty cheap ones. 30 bucks. They have two sizes, should I go with the Large one since I'm a beginer and am pretty tall(6'4")?

Chony

$30 for a snowboard, try at least $300. Really, I would rent for your first time, see how you like it. The board should go up to about your chin.

Socreges

Banned
I got a 2001 Burton jacket in 2002 for a pretty good price. Under $100 CDN. It's still in sweet condition.

So yeah, go with Burton, but that should go without saying. Their stuff is expensive because it's freaking quality.

alejob, $30? Is it Safeway brand or something? How is that possible?

Mike

Yeah, one thing I've discovered about snowboarding is that it's a really pricey hobby. I spent 450 on my snowboard, bindings, and boots. That doesn't include clothes, lift tickets, or gas.

Here's what I have. Post your gear, people.

Morrow RV 161
image.gif

K2 Bindings (forget which model)
DC Phase Snowboard Boot
PBGB.jpg

Alejob- Definitely rent the first time you go. If you like it, and know you'll go again, use this guide or pick up the buyer's guide of Transworld Snowboard to buy a board. Don't get a cheap one.
http://www.abc-of-snowboarding.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom