• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNS-101 Super Nintendo Jr/Mini how was it?

Sold my beloved launch day original Super Nes a few years ago. It had yellowed heavily and I thought I would be happy with Virtual Console (cough: Star Fox/Yoshi Island MIA?).

Nostalgia has kicked in hard and I'm considering either getting a Super Famicom or a Super NES Jr and doing an S-video/RGB mod of the latter. I guess SNS-01 was equipped with a better video chip than original Super NES. Besides, it looks kind of cute and its rarity is attractive.

Can anyone share their ownership experience of the system? How did the power and eject buttons feel? Build quality and sturdiness as good as the original? Anything else?

xiEHq.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The build quality's fine, and as I recall, the composite output is much better than on the original Super Nintendo. That said, it lacks the ability to use S-video, which is a shame. It can't do RGB SCART, either, but if that would even be relevant to you, you probably already knew that. Modding's kinda a pain in the ass, from what I've heard.

But for more detail...

There's no eject button, so the build quality of that button is kind of irrelevant. The power button feels really solid as you push it back and forth. A satisfying click ensues when the system is turned on.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Really? The video on a Snes 2 was better, even though it doesn't naively support S-video?

Or was that just better composite?

Apparently, there is a fairly easy mod that you can do to the original SNESes to give it component output. I don't know if that'll work with the Minis, though.

I made a post about it before.

It was only discovered a few months ago that you can mod an SNES for component. The discovery of this mod was posted here, I believe.

If you want more detailed instructions, there are some here (in Spanish... Use Google Translate). It's actually a very easy mod...

For maximum awesome, you can also mod an SNES for S/PDIF digital audio. Though that's a much harder mod for very little reward.

As for the claims of better image quality, I don't know how much better you can get than RGB. lol. I can't imagine what they could have done to make the image quality better, unless it's comparing composite output of both.

Alchemy

Wait, that version is rare? I found mine at a Goodwill with two official controllers for cheap, all working just fine.

BocoDragon

As for the claims of better image quality, I don't know how much better you can get than RGB. lol. I can't imagine what they could have done to make the image quality better, unless it's comparing composite output of both.

Good point.

Though getting RGB to work is scary and confusing where I live... :p

Double D

I've been thinking about buying a SupaBoy. Anybody have one? I currently don't have a functional SNES so I'd be buying it as a console and a handheld.

zrtaY.jpg

Iacobellis

Wait, these have better video quality? My friend has one of these and I guess I never noticed it. I saw one of these at a Game X Change but ignored it because I was not going to fork over $70 for the console.

I had one and seem to remember it not being compatible with the Game Genie. Or some sort of cheat device. Maybe I'm thinking of an Action Replay. Either way, I never played on it much because of that.

brainpann

The RGB mod for the SNES jr is probably one of the easiest mods someone can do and still call it a mod. I use a modded one as my main snes and the quality is better than the big snes. There is a big model that came out right around or right before the jr that shares the same chipset but I am unsure if RGB was natively retained. I will try to post something more detailed when I am not on my phone.

linkboy

My SNES is the redesign and I don't have a single problem with it (other than it doesn't look like the Super Famicom\Euro SNES).

It plays all of my games perfectly fine.

Fox Mulder

I dunno, unless you can spot one at a thrift store/get lucky with ebay or a friend/GAF, they seem to go for about 30 bucks at the lowest.

I got a retron 3 since it's a good value. While I'd like to get the real hardware at some point, I got three of the best consoles for cheap and can build up a library of awesome games.

Ranger X

I own the NTSC version. It's pretty nice except that it takes less time than for the old SNES for the cartridege slot to get loose. Same for the power button.

Danny Dudekisser

video encoder in SNS-101 (SNES 2/jr) is better - brighter/higher contrast

SNES1 (Left) v. SNES2 (Right)
snes2svid10.jpg
snes2svid11.jpg

I'm kinda curious about the RGB mod, then. I'd always heard it was kind of a pain, but now you guys have me in a "let's make old systems look good" mood. Gotta give that XRGB some more love anyway.

brainpann

I'm kinda curious about the RGB mod, then. I'd always heard it was kind of a pain, but now you guys have me in a "let's make old systems look good" mood. Gotta give that XRGB some more love anyway.

No, the mod is seriously VERY VERY easy. I have RGB moded 5 snes jr's. It takes about 5 minutes.

Here is a site that will give you an idea about the difference between SNES revisions.

http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/category/snes-general

and here is a site describing the mod.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:snes2rgb

sml_x

Love mine, but didn't know it was rare. Now experiencing pangs of guilt for cutting out the cartridge slot tabs to play SFC games.

Danny Dudekisser

Love mine, but didn't know it was rare. Now experiencing pangs of guilt for cutting out the cartridge slot tabs to play SFC games.

You had the exact same reaction as me.

Though I guess I don't feel that bad. Gotz to play dat SFC shyt.

Did the exact same thing. Damn you, Raiden Densetsu!

It's just a couple of small pieces of plastic for cryin' out loud. It's not like you tore the whole thing apart in order to turn it into a portable SNES like a lot of people do with them.

BocoDragon

I dunno, unless you can spot one at a thrift store/get lucky with ebay or a friend/GAF, they seem to go for about 30 bucks at the lowest.
Found a minty OG SNES at Value Village last month, for 8 dollars.

And it was not yellowed at all.

You probably did a good job keeping it out of sunlight, since that's what causes the yellowing.
Not necessarily. Some of them yellow. Some of them don't. This is regardless of how you store them.

Ronabo

I never liked the thing mainly because I always had to use two hands to eject a cartridge. One to hold the system down, one to pull the cart out. Otherwise I'd yank the entire thing up.

Not to mention the lack of S-video.

Top Bottom