• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNS-101 Super Nintendo Jr/Mini how was it?

xemumanic

I don't like it, because it doesn't have RGB.

Yup, same here. Even back when it was new, I'd much rather have spent for a Super Famicom. As much as the SNES Jr. Looks closer to the SuFami than the original SNES did, its still ugly to me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
My launch SNES never yellowed at all. I wonder why.

It's really just a matter of pure chance more than anything. Depending on the compound ratio of stuff like bromine they mix in when they manufacture the plastic, the bonds could break down and begin the oxidization process even if it's never left the box. Sunlight and artificial light can contribute to it, but not all mixtures are equal, which is why you'll often see some consoles and carts only yellowed on one part of the shell.

Psxphile

I never liked the thing mainly because I always had to use two hands to eject a cartridge. One to hold the system down, one to pull the cart out. Otherwise I'd yank the entire thing up.

Yeah, y'know there was something awful satisfying about pushing down the Eject button and having the cartridge jump out of the slot with a *pop*.

Interesting tidbit of Nintendo history trivia:

The reason NA gut ugly ass original SNES was because Super Famicom looked like a "bag of bread" to Nintendo industrial designer, Lance Barr, who had previously done NES.

http://www.nintendojo.com/archives/interviews/view_item.php?1130801472

ND: The Super NES design is quite square compared to the Super Famicom. What was your motivation for going in that design direction?
LB: The Super Famicom was maybe okay for the market in Japan. For the US, I felt that it was too soft and had no edge. We were always looking at future modular components (even the NES had a connector on the bottom), so you had to design with the idea of stacking on top of other components. I though the Super Famicom didn't look good when stacked and even by itself, had a kind of "bag of bread" look.

brainpann

Interesting tidbit of Nintendo history trivia:

The reason NA gut ugly ass original SNES was because Super Famicom looked like a "bag of bread" to Nintendo industrial designer, Lance Barr, who had previously done NES.

http://www.nintendojo.com/archives/interviews/view_item.php?1130801472

Seriously!? The US SNES looks like crap. Purple? Really. Yeah grey and purple look so much edgier compared to the Genesis/MegaDrive's black and red bad-assery.

Seriously though, fuck that guy for thinking the Super Famicom looked like a bag of bread.

Teknoman

Speaking of S-Video, anyone know of some good S-video cables to use with the first SNES? I cant find any official cables (japan only I guess), and not sure if the cables at Racketboy are any good.

That interview bit with Lance Barr was interesting, I always wondered why they chose to do such a drastic redesign. I figured it was just due to lame American "smallness" concerns. Even as a kid seeing it in old videogame magazines, I loved the sleekness of the Super Famicom and the eye catching colorful buttons on the controller.

Anyways, "bag of bread"? Pffft. Give me a break. So let's take a beatiful looking system and make it like a sharp-edged gray brick with purple buttons? Barr may have done a great job designing the NES (which needed it at the time since as nice as the Fami looked, that was definitely not the right aesthetic to capture the attention of U.S. consumers properly after the videogame crash) but the SNES always looked weak to me even as a kid compared to other systems like the Genny and TG-16/Turbo Duo. I'm glad NCL started forcing unified system designs and names in all regions starting with the N64.

Anyways, never wanted the SNES jr. It's like an apologetic, watered down Super Fami and always looked cheap to me. I use my OG, still minty SNES hooked up to my plasma with s-video and a controller extension cord and it looks and plays great.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Speaking of S-Video, anyone know of some good S-video cables to use with the first SNES? I cant find any official cables (japan only I guess), and not sure if the cables at Racketboy are any good.

racketboy cables are good

I just use a set of the old AV/s-video PS2/XBox/GC combo cables from last gen.

Top Bottom