• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, about the Wii U 50hz VC...

netBuff

So, Nintendo is apparently planning to release F-Zero as 60Hz title. (Thread)

Let's hope this sells 3 billion copies and convinces Nintendo to do it all the time.

This is absolutely fantastic news - let's hope this isn't a one-off and that they may get around to updating Balloon Fight as well!

Neff

tumblrm78aw8egzz1qflrjl.gif

I think any of us who protested and spread the word, particularly on Miiverse, can be a little proud of this.

NotLiquid

Everyone should go on Miiverse and pledge support to Nintendo for going through with this. People might consider it common sense for them to make this standard but there's no telling whether or not they'll revert, and if we can make it clear that this gesture is more than appreciated they might keep at doing this for all future releases.

Miiverse is really a blessing for this stuff.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, I grew up playing the crap out of video games here in Australia and to be honest with you, I've never owned a TV that didn't support 60hz... and I once owned an OLD Sanyo TV that... well it's probably 30 years old now and still works.

Then again, I never owned a TV that had SCART... and apparently that's common as anything in euro pal countries?

Anyhow, here in Aussie-land, we speak English. Not German, or Italian, or French or whatever crazy language the euro people demand their games to be translated into before being allowed to be sold.

Now I presume our land is tiny when it comes to sales, so they just converted for the euro market back in those days... but c'mon... never has one TV I've encountered in this country for the past 25 years have I seen something that didn't accept pal 60hz or NTSC 60hz

Why u no 60hz~~~!

Just to reiterate, besides a few Gamecube early titles by Nintendo plagued by 50hz (like Wave Race BS), every retro Nintendo game or Sega game or whatever released in Italy at 50Hz was always in english, no italian translation up to some (post-GBA) Game Boy Color titles like the Zelda Oracles. That'a cause before the GBA/Gamecube, Ninty's consoles distribution was a mess only fixed by the advent of Nintendo Italia in November 2001 (the GBA, released late June 2001, was initally distribuited by toy vendor Ceppi Ratti).
So there, just short of 60M people ready to relive their childhood games in a 60Hz english-only affair right there :p
I'd wager the same for spanish people? French and germans prolly got quite a bit of them translated.

Jucksalbe

Banned
French and germans prolly got quite a bit of them translated.

There are quite a few German translated SNES games. All(?) RPGs, Zelda, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island and the Donkey Kong Country games are some I can think of. Basically every Nintendo published game that had more text than just the menus.

Jockel

There are quite a few German translated SNES games. All(?) RPGs

IIRC the Breath of Fire games and Soul Blazer weren't translated, just off the top of my head.
But they should let you choose to download the US or PAL version in that case.
Like somebody said, they made several versions of Links Awakening available in Switzerland - so it can't be that much of a hassle. Let's all hope for the best.

-KRS-

I actually have a noname CRT (Lumatron or something haha) that we bought new in like 2007 for real cheap that does not support NTSC! It takes PAL 60 just fine, but I plugged in my NTSC NES into it once and it was only in black & white. Perhaps it's because it was through composite cables, but my other TVs can display it in color no problem. I haven't tried NTSC through RGB Scart though, maybe that would work. But the NES doesn't have RGB. My Trinitron CRT just takes that NTSC signal through composite like it's nothing and displays it just fine.

Anyway, so there are TVs out there still that doesn't handle NTSC as well as they should. But in this day and age I think the vast, vast majority of people have a TV that handles NTSC signals just fine. And actually, in the VC case, they wouldn't even have to display an NTSC signal, they could just display the game using PAL 60, could they not? PAL 60 seems to be pretty much identical to NTSC. Same framerate, same resolution. I suppose the color standards are different, but whatever, that can be fixed in software. So why not use PAL 60?

Jucksalbe

Banned
IIRC the Breath of Fire games and Soul Blazer weren't translated, just off the top of my head.

Not sure on Breath of Fire, I never saw a PAL version of that. Soul Blazer was definitely translated.

Considering how few RPGs made it over to PAL land pre-Playstation I don't think this is much of a concern either way.

From the top of my head this concerns: Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time, Terranigma (this of course doesn't even have an English 60Hz version), Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Lufia 2 and Mystic Quest Legend. So a good part of the "important" ones.
But of those only Secret of Mana and Mystic Quest Legend were released on the Wii VC, so I don't have high hopes for the others to release on the Wii U VC.

mclem

I actually have a noname CRT (Lumatron or something haha) that we bought new in like 2007 for real cheap that does not support NTSC! It takes PAL 60 just fine, but I plugged in my NTSC NES into it once and it was only in black & white. Perhaps it's because it was through composite cables, but my other TVs can display it in color no problem. I haven't tried NTSC through RGB Scart though, maybe that would work. But the NES doesn't have RGB. My Trinitron CRT just takes that NTSC signal through composite like it's nothing and displays it just fine.

It should. Your TV is handling the refresh rate of NTSC but not the colour information. RGB uses its own colour coding information which is consistent.

Yeah, are there *positive* responses to this on Miiverse? We've had a lot of negative from there lately, it'd be nice to see some happy art.

I don't have a pic of it but I went on the F-Zero one and thanked Nintendo for 'being a PAL' to us PAL gamers and listening. :p I really wanted to show appreciation for something (honestly) unexpectedly awesome.

Finished with a polite now please keep doing it! ^_^

Because it'll all amount to nothing if for some reason they just go back to doing 50hz next game lol.

Nice of them to do this and hopefully they will continue for future titles.
Did they retroactively "fix" balloon fight with a 60Hz update?

Neff

No, unfortunately they didn't, I doubt they'll bother. A shame, but I think people are grateful enough for what they have now.

Also I just noticed the Punch Out!! thing has its own thread, oh well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thread title should be updated with something like THE 50HZ EPIC BATTLE OF THE AGES WON BY MIIVERSE
Thanks guys, you've done what us Wii owners could never achieve in our times, cheers to that!

also

Banned
So, Kirby's Adventure won't be the 60Hz version:

"This is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. Demos and animations may run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release."

I thought Nintendo finally understood...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, Kirby's Adventure won't be the 60Hz version:

"This is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. Demos and animations may run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release."

I thought Nintendo finally understood...

Eh, the definite version is on 3DS anyway.

also

Banned
Eh, the definite version is on 3DS anyway.

But the bigger problem is that this implies we will be getting more 50Hz versions and that NTSC version won't be standard across the board.

It's not so bad as, yeah, Kirby is optimised. And they've removed the borders, which is very welcome.

I thought someone said that only Kirby was sped up to his NTSC/JAP speed while the enemies are still slowed down.

Jockel

But the bigger problem is that this implies we will be getting more 50Hz versions and that NTSC version won't be standard across the board.

I thought someone said that only Kirby was sped up to his NTSC/JAP speed while the enemies are still slowed down.
Superior speedrun version confirmed!

cloudyy

Well, Kirby on the NES was translated in French and German iirc. So I guess they choose to keep the translated and optimized 50Hz version instead of a 60Hz all english NTSC version.

Optimized PAL versions are fine. But they are far and few in a sea of unoptimized slowed down garbage that was often marred by the NTSCs lower resolution (black borders)

Jubern

Well, Kirby on the NES was translated in French and German iirc. So I guess they choose to keep the translated and optimized 50Hz version instead of a 60Hz all english NTSC version.

That's what I'm guessing too. After they released the last two games in 60hz, I wondered what would happen with one that was actually translated in other languages... And I guess that's the answer.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Optimized PAL versions are fine. But they are far and few in a sea of unoptimized slowed down garbage that was often marred by the NTSCs lower resolution (black borders)

Didn't know about Kirby. But I didn't notice the 3DS port being faster (except the slowdown being completely gone from the game, I guess) than whatever version was on the PAL Wii VC shop. Original Wii that is.

The DKC trilogy does this as well. And now I'm sad I never got DKC3. Only got the first two and now they're gone :(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Optimisied PAL is fair enough. Super Metroid next month had better be 60hz though.

I haven't experienced it in 60hz but I'd love to play it the way it was intended. But I thought it was offputting how SMOOTH and FLUID Fusion and Zero mission were when I first played them.

But back then I was a dumb little shit, so what did I know? I'm a wiser man now.

Did they ever fix Super Mario Bros? Because in a game that's all about movement and momentum having the game run 30% faster than it should is catastrophic.

Ein Bear

I haven't experienced it in 60hz but I'd love to play it the way it was intended. But I thought it was offputting how SMOOTH and FLUID Fusion and Zero mission were when I first played them.

But back then I was a dumb little shit, so what did I know? I'm a wiser man now.

Did they ever fix Super Mario Bros? Because in a game that's all about movement and momentum having the game run 30% faster than it should is catastrophic.

I played Super for the first time after playing the GBA games, and found it to be really clunky and sluggish. I'm really looking forward to the chance to play it in 60hz. Will be nice not to have the forced German/French subtitles too.

Super Mario Bros. hasn't been put up on the service yet, but I'm hoping it'll be 60hz when it gets here.

Neff

This is fucking ridiculous.

I really don't have the time and energy to demand 60hz all over again on Miiverse, but I guess I have to if I want the games the way they're intended.

mclem

The game is still not a s good as the JAP/NTSC release, even if they removed the borders.

If it's a good PAL conversion - I'm not qualified to answer that - the only grounds for that claim would be the loss of a few frames of animation (The solution Ikaruga GC went with).

I'm okay with it if that's all it is.

...not that I'd buy it, I have the 3D Classics version.

Neff

Did you even read the press release?

No, I made an alarmist reactionary post without possessing all the facts. Should I not have done that?

Seriously, even optimised 50hz is never as good as the real thing. It's noticably less smooth, and you're at the mercy of potential overlooked timing bugs, out-of-sync animation, sound issues etc.

I still call bad form.

Lynd7

I can live with the optimised games, not ideal though. If they start pumping out terrible 50Hz versions again, I will be back on the Miiverse.

The real test is going to be Super Metroid, as that has more languages. Hopefully they don't revert back because of that reason.

I can live with the optimised games, not ideal though. If they start pumping out terrible 50Hz versions again, I will be back on the Miiverse.

This just as bad in its own way, though. It's like playing the whole game with a "slow down the enemies" power up.

Neff

This game is normally great.

But the PAL optimisation is shit. The speed is ok, however it's noticably choppy compared to the NTSC version. And the assertion that the aspect ratio has been corrected is an outright lie.

Thanks a lot, Nintendo.

*sharpens campaign stylus*

Top Bottom