• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Angry Birds is bigger than Mario or Pac-Man ever were...

Despite hearing about and seeing these birds everywhere, I know nothing about the actual games.

Are they free downloads? How's the gameplay?

They're a dollar or you can often get them for free (Space on iOS is actually free at the moment)

As for the gameplay, you just take some birds and chuck 'em at stuff. The goal is to destroy the environment and take out some pigs that are just hanging out there.

They have napkins, pumpkin cutting kits and a movie. Most leveraged IP in gaming?

I think Pokemon in its heyday still holds the crown for that one. There was a Pokemon product for almost everything...

That said, I'm not sure that Angry Birds has the legs of Mario or Pokemon. Unless they flesh it out quickly, that is. Right now, it's a game with squawking birds. There's not as much there to get attached to. At least not for me.

When I was student teaching this past year, more kids had Angry Birds shirts/folders/notebooks/backpacks than anything else.

Personally, I don't get the hate for Angry Birds. It's a fun game and Rovio has made billions from it, that should be applauded, not condemned.

I still don't think it has a bigger legacy than Mario. Sure, it's the hot thing now, but if you go to 100 people and ask them to name one video game character, the vast majority would say "Mario," not an Angry Bird.

Arky Virus

Neo Member
Mario and Pacman have something that Angry Birds: replay value. Once you beat a level is Anrgy Birds, the level is dull and uninterested. You can just beat it the same way you did last time. Angry Birds only replay value derive from getting 3 stars. Mario from the NES is still played today. Pacman was an arcade game where you go for the high score, and see how many levels you could do before you run out of lives. Yeah you could probably beat it, although I've never beaten one, but it still retained it's replay value. Angry Birds might be a good phone distraction, but it will never beat Mario or Pacman because it lack replay value.

weepy

Mario and Pacman have something that Angry Birds: replay value. Once you beat a level is Anrgy Birds, the level is dull and uninterested. You can just beat it the same way you did last time. Angry Birds only replay value derive from getting 3 stars. Mario from the NES is still played today. Pacman was an arcade game where you go for the high score, and see how many levels you could do before you run out of lives. Yeah you could probably beat it, although I've never beaten one, but it still retained it's replay value. Angry Birds might be a good phone distraction, but it will never beat Mario or Pacman because it lack replay value.

I don't know about that. The last few times I've played Angry Birds, the only times I've completed the levels (getting three stars) it has been lucky shots. Not to question the game's physics mechanics but...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I might be too old to keep living on this planet if I am missing such a cultural movement.

Where do you live that you don't even see the shirts and merch and stuff? It's everywhere. I hear it's huge in China. Even the third world.

I saw a documentary where a girl was playing it in North Korea (maybe that's cheating because the filmmakers showed it to her).

Unless you mean "you aren't playing the games", in which case you're probably like most of GAF ;)

they tend to be free, at least on android

i think they were 99 cents or something on ios?

http://armorgames.com/play/3614

Franklinator said:
They're a dollar or you can often get them for free (Space on iOS is actually free at the moment)

As for the gameplay, you just take some birds and chuck 'em at stuff. The goal is to destroy the environment and take out some pigs that are just hanging out there.

99 cents isn't too bad. I'll give it a try. Are they fun?

It's amazing what big budget marketing can get you to buy. Nickelodeon and Disney Channel cram similar shallow products down kids throats convincing them their product is popular. Angry Birds is a product that is becoming oversaturated and their popularity will hurt them as their market grows older. It will no longer be cool. I don't see them capturing the nostalgia that something like Pokemon continues to grab in the video game community. I just dont see them transending video games and becoming something else entirely through movies, cartoons ect.

The Pacman comparison is apt. It's about as close to the phenomenon as we've seen with AB.

the "crush the castle" thing you were linked to plays exactly the same way. If that, with cartoony faces instead of its current appearance, sounds appealing, then you'll have fun.

Trying it now. Seems like a decent mechanic for the first level so far. Depends on how much they expand on it, but for $1, you can't go wrong with this as a time waster. Doesn't seem to offend me as a gamer.

Arky Virus

Neo Member
I don't know about that. The last few times I've played Angry Birds, the only times I've completed the levels (getting three stars) it has been lucky shots. Not to question the game's physics mechanics but...
I've actually never had that. There are some level where you cannot match which you've done to beat it, but most of the levels I've played have been pretty simple to repeat for the same results. The Space ones, however, were more unpredictable though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
How the hell are they going to make this a tv show? Nothing has legs, or even wings for that matter. Is everything going to just roll around and talk to each other?

RM8

I'm sure illegal downloads of Mario ROMs aren't that far from these free Angry Birds downloads.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I hate Angry Birds. That is all.

tumblr_meqm0hdY8u1r6ap4zo1_500.png

The pervasive IP has got felines on the run!

Will we see decades of spin-offs? Will the games be forgotten but the characters remembered thanks to merchandising and tv/movies? Will it be an enormous influence for future game designers the way Nintendo games are cited today? Is Angry Birds the Mario of it's generation?

my money's on a PacMan sort of a trail. Mostly bad spinoff games and it will go to live on as an animated cartoons and merchandising :p

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
When was the last Pac-Man game that anyone cared about?

I'd like to say 3DS, but no. It was actually PS1, where every level looked like a disco club. It wasn't top-down, it was action adventure, and he was busting into rooms like a pedophile fueled by Kool-aids.

Toparaman

Banned
I hate Angry Birds, but people appreciate them in order to look trendy, relevant, or down with the funk. ''Oh look, I want this because it's popular.''

And when you play the mind-numbing slingshot game, there's practically nothing that separates it from other physics games, except for the damned birds.

ARG.

How can people be fine with playing this, but turn their noses at Mario, or Pac-Man?

But remember, these are the same people who spend hours aimlessly playing these shitty games, and then deny that they are gamers.

It's like gamers are lepers, and nobody wants to be one, outside of cool people, of course.

Oh get over yourself. Angry Birds is an exceedingly well made casual game that deserves its popularity. It's the ideal smartphone game, is well designed, and has a great visual style.

Despite hearing about and seeing these birds everywhere, I know nothing about the actual games.

Are they free downloads? How's the gameplay?

Yup, it's free, unless you really want all the levels, which I doubt considering how much you get for free, between the original, Seasons, and Star Wars. No in-app purchases either.

The gameplay's a combination of skill and strategy, but it still manages to be very simple.

Just try it. It's way better than the mindless, endless auto-runner bullshit that passes for quality 5-minute gaming on a phone.

Anyway, Angry Birds doesn't have enough of a world to be as lasting a franchise as Mario. Neither did Mario Bros. (arcade, not SMB for the nes), so that may change. As far as matching Pac-Man's iconic status? I think Birds is already there.

So here's another question. If the Angry Birds games are 99 cents, how are they selling an Angry Birds trilogy game for $20?

Mario's bigger than Angry Birds. OP, I don't know where you're getting the idea that it's bigger than Mario.

I guess he's talking about in the present moment? But it's difficult to put such a series up against things like Mario or Mickey Mouse, whose popularity isn't defined by sales at a specific moment, but longetivity and recognition.

Most fads, by the metric the OP is using, are bigger than Mario.

CoD is bigger than Mario (not calling it a fad).

Calamari41

41 > 38
Mario's bigger than Angry Birds. OP, I don't know where you're getting the idea that it's bigger than Mario.

Seriously. Angry Birds is either free or $1. Is there anybody on this planet who would pay $50-$60 for Angry Birds? There certainly aren't tens of millions like there have been buying Mario games regularly over the last 30-odd years.

SMT

Oh get over yourself. Angry Birds is an exceedingly well made casual game that deserves its popularity. It's the ideal smartphone game, is well designed, and has a great visual style.

At least give me credence for being angry against the angry birds. No body could write you a rant like that, but somebody can.

Great visual style? ...

RM8

I have downloaded Angry Birds, I'm part of those numbers. I also don't care one bit about it. So yeah, it's "bigger" but... well.

BocoDragon

That doesn't even count the spinoffs, illegal downloads, second hand sales, etc.

Do you think that illegal downloads and second hand sales of Mario would make the number 6x official figures? Because otherwise Angry Birds is still the winner. And people pirate Angry Birds too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'd say Mario is still just as big if not bigger than Angry Birds. Pacman is largely irrelevant today, though.

Artorias

Banned
Why?

Mario officially became more recognizable than Mickey Mouse in the 80s.

Angry Birds has been played by far more people than any Mario game.

Ehhh, a few reasons. Not sure what we are actually arguing, the more recognizable part, or the "bigger" part, which I take to mean making more money.

I'm not sure how the study you're referring to was conducted, but I'd hazard a guess that its back to Mickey at this point depending on the country the sample is taken from. There is no way Mario is more recognizable to most children in the US.

The "bigger" thing is just silly. It's clear cut that Angry Birds is a fad that would be lucky to last until the movie hits. Mario and Mickey have enjoyed the licensing cash Angry Birds is getting for decades, with no end in sight. Mickey has taken a backseat in the 10+ age area but he is still likely to be one of the first cartoon characters a child is familiar with.

In any case, let me know how its going in 25 years.

Edit:Full disclosure: I lived in California my entire life until last year. It's entirely possible that I'm just used to Disney crazed people. I still would say Mickey is without a doubt both bigger and more recognizable here in the states, but maybe I shouldn't speak for other areas.

BocoDragon

You said play, not download. And that's going on the assumption that every download is a separate person, and every copy of Mario is played by one person.

Your wiggle room won't increase the amount of people who played Mario by 6x.

Besides, even if people have not downloaded and not played, they clicked on it, they see it on their homescreen. They know what Angry Birds is. The downloads do indicate awareness and mindshare.

There are millions of people in third world countries who know what Angry Birds is, who have never seen a Mario game in their life.

Top Bottom