• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently my 3ds XL was stolen. I am currently attempting to get my games back.

Derpyduck

Banned
Do not forget that Nintendo is a Japanese-based company, while Steam and EA are not. Japanese business practices are different from other countries.

I agree, their system is not as user-friendly as other services, but it is still nice to be able to get support from them. Imagine someone stealing your handheld and all of your physical games, and never being able to get any of those back without rebuying everything.

Sony is also a Japan-based company. That's not an excuse to be willfully ignorant of how the rest of the world works.

neoemonk

I don't have room on my Wii U or 3DS for more digital games so I don't know what to do with my Club Nintendo coins. I'm not interested in the physical stuff either. I wish I could buy the code and hold it on my account.

Quit excusing the terrible fucking policy. Again Valve has been doing this since 2004, EA has had an account system in place the same as Steam since Origin launched.
I think you should take a break before you have a meltdown. Nobody really likes Nintendo's current account solution, though not everyone feels like it is the worst thing ever. However you or anytime else feels about it though, they do have one and you should be able to get your stuff back. I'm sorry you have to call customer support but at least you'll get all your games back.

Sony is also a Japan-based company. That's not an excuse to be willfully ignorant of how the rest of the world works.
Sony is actually pretty infamous for fucking people over online. Nintendo gets a lot of shit for their backwards system but the majority of their problems at least seem to get resolved.

shanafan

Nintendo gets a lot of shit for their backwards system but the majority of their problems at least seem to get resolved.

Agreed. I once had an eShop code that did not work. Nintendo credited me the value of card into my account within 48 hours.

On the other hand, I had a COD Ghosts code for extra content that did not work. Took Activision a month to credit me the items.

I don't have room on my Wii U or 3DS for more digital games so I don't know what to do with my Club Nintendo coins. I'm not interested in the physical stuff either. I wish I could buy the code and hold it on my account.
I don't know if those download codes ever expire. Something to contact Nintendo about, maybe?

That said a download has to start to own something which is a bit annoying but it can might be easy to make some room for things.

Bionic

What would be the point? If you need to secure a handheld, hide the handheld.

This would not help in the OP's situation, but making it harder for prospective thieves to resell a device by being able to lock it down so it's unusable without the right code is a pretty basic step to making it less attractive to steal that device. Devices that can't be used without the owner's permission are less likely to be taken.

Physically securing an item is a good thing to do, but having other methods to secure it only improves its security. Why be against that?

Hey OP, would you mind letting me know what details customer service asked for?

I need to call them to arrange for a system transfer where one of my 3DS systems is broken and isn't able to turn on. Unfortunately, I'm in Australia and I faked my billing details and subsequently forgot them so I'm reaaaaaally hoping they don't ask for them.

Mit-

I worked in a call center for 10 years. If you make enough noise you can always get what you want. I will escalate as far up as I have to if it comes to that.

You will never get across the ocean and without doing that you will never achieve anything with Nintendo.

I don't use Steam, but a quick google search revealed that at least some games have a 5 computer activation limit. It's "3rd party DRM", but this shouldn't matter because it's still Steam. And 5 computers doesn't mean 5 different computers. OS reinstallations also count (not uncommon on Windows). Hardware changes count too. Couldn't find information how fast installations expire. Maybe never. I also couldn't find information about what to do if that limit is reached.

There's only a handful of games that ever did this and most of them, like Arkham City, either had the DRM removed or provided a tool to revoke the license, and that on a platform that has thousands of games. Had you made this point seven years ago, when this was relevant, then sure, but now you're just really reaching.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't use Steam, but a quick google search revealed that at least some games have a 5 computer activation limit. It's "3rd party DRM", but this shouldn't matter because it's still Steam. And 5 computers doesn't mean 5 different computers. OS reinstallations also count (not uncommon on Windows). Hardware changes count too. Couldn't find information how fast installations expire. Maybe never. I also couldn't find information about what to do if that limit is reached.

here:
pIH77ev.png

Instant expiry.Hardware changes do not count.

dubq

It's in the title. Seems somewhat click-baitey because I came in here for that (the story) and not the rest.
Agreed, very click-baitey. I came here expecting a juicy story of theft and betrayal and now I feel totally misled.

ngower

I bought a New 3DS XL and went through the transfer and the dude on the phone had asked what games I had. I told him the few I could remember (MH3U, Steamworld Dig) and those are the only games that have shown up in my redownloadable games list. It'd be great if there were a wallet/account-style system where I'd know what games I've downloaded, or so I could have ALL the games I've downloaded across multiple systems (pre-NNID). It's definitely frustrating and I don't understand why, from a business end, Nintendo don't realize the benefit of eliminating this hurdle.

vgamer1

Just got my stuff transferred over the phone - while talking to the (really nice) dude on the phone I asked him if he thought nintendo was gonna revamp the transfer system for the next generation of consoles and he said he was happy with the way things were because if it were any other way it would open doors to mass piracy....

I had no words.

I bought a New 3DS XL and went through the transfer and the dude on the phone had asked what games I had. I told him the few I could remember (MH3U, Steamworld Dig) and those are the only games that have shown up in my redownloadable games list. It'd be great if there were a wallet/account-style system where I'd know what games I've downloaded, or so I could have ALL the games I've downloaded across multiple systems (pre-NNID). It's definitely frustrating and I don't understand why, from a business end, Nintendo don't realize the benefit of eliminating this hurdle.
If you have club Nintendo, you just go to your account settings then products. It tells you all of them right there.

webkatt

I kind of understand you OP. Nintendos account system needs an major overhaul.

However

You losing stuff doesn't mean it's stolen.

nampad

jimi_dini in full on Nintendo apologist mode again while spouting bullshit about Sony's policies and bashing them. So incredible obvious.

zeemumu

This kid stole my purple game boy color from my cubby when I was a kid. Ironically he had a brother named Mario.

I ended up getting a golden replacement but I still missed it, even the Mummy game that was in it when it was stolen.

Quit excusing the terrible fucking policy.

So is this thread supposed to involve any discussion or debate, or just be an anti-Nintendo-policy echo chamber?

Few people will truly defend the current policy as awesome or convenient, but there IS room for debate on just how painful or out-of-touch the whole thing is.

jimi_dini in full on Nintendo apologist mode again while spouting bullshit about Sony's policies and bashing them. So incredible obvious.

He always does this. Check the yakuza 5 retail petition thread. I don't understand why he always brings up sony.

hitmon

Well, he mentioned EA and Origin. I hear Sony is not as friendly as other services when it comes to accounts being stolen:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2a66cn/my_psn_account_was_hacked_charged_for_145_and/

One of many stories about hacked accounts without a no positive outcome.

At least with Sony, the OP would have been able to deactivate stolen console. Unless things have changed, there is a 2 system limit for the Vita. It is annoying I can only assign one NNID per 3DS console. Good luck getting your games back OP.

hlhbk

Hey OP, would you mind letting me know what details customer service asked for?

I need to call them to arrange for a system transfer where one of my 3DS systems is broken and isn't able to turn on. Unfortunately, I'm in Australia and I faked my billing details and subsequently forgot them so I'm reaaaaaally hoping they don't ask for them.

Serial numbers, email, and last 4 of credit card.

fernoca

Forgot there was a holiday, but yeah...call them first thing tomorrow.

When I called them, twice in December (Wii U and a 2DS), less than 10 minutes later I was already downloading my games on them. Even when they say the process can take up to 2 days.

Not much. Just explained that I got new units after selling the previous ones earlier. And after verifying some purchases, Club Nintendo, etc. everything was set.

Gleethor

Why should we be waiting till 2016-2017 for Nintendo to implement an account system that has been in place since 2004?

Because it won't be here any sooner than that? I don't really know what else to say, I guess its up to you if you want to continue downloading things from Nintendo or not. At the end of the day you can still get your games back, just not as immediately as the competition.

hlhbk

The wait continues. It's been 4 days since contacting support without hearing anything back from their digital department. I called in yesterday checking on status and was told I would definitely be hearing back from them by EOB yesterday and if I didn't to call back around mid day today and get the case escalated. I called in as directed and now am being told to wait at least 7 days for the transfer.

From what I was told the actual amount of time it takes the digital folks to transfer the data is about 30 seconds. Anyone have any idea how to expedite this process? My new 3ds is essentially a paper weight until I get my stuff transferred because everyone that I spoke to from Nintendo says not to purchase games on my new system until the transfer is complete.

hlhbk

So is this thread supposed to involve any discussion or debate, or just be an anti-Nintendo-policy echo chamber?

Few people will truly defend the current policy as awesome or convenient, but there IS room for debate on just how painful or out-of-touch the whole thing is.

There is no debate for how painful or out of touch the whole thing is. The fact I am sitting here on day 4 with a paper weight because Nintendo can't figure out how to have a unified account system is terrible.

mnannola

The horrible way that Nintendo seems to tie game purchases to systems instead of accounts is the one issue keeping me from purchasing any Nintendo systems. Hopefully they can take after Valve with their next console and let you download any purchased game to any system as long as your account is logged in.

Rezae

I really don't see the big deal. Does Nintendo need a better account system? Absolutely. There is no excuse in 2015 to not have a more logical and streamlined account system.

BUT, they have made it much easier than the police report horror stories of a few years ago. I'm transitioning to all-digital on my 3DS at this point and don't see myself ever going back to physical, even if something goes wrong I may need to call Nintendo at some point.

It goes both ways though.. if you lost your 3DS with a cartridge in it, you can get another 3DS but that cartridge is gone. You lose a case of cartridges, you're not getting those back either. At least going digital on Nintendo is some bit of insurance where you are only looking at the hardware and not having to repurchase software, even if they do inconvenience you to do so.

Hopefully the entire process gets updated to the times with their next hardware.

Shadders

Their system is totally weird, I buy way less games because of it.

My two sons and my wife each have a 3DS and I have a bunch of them. I always talk myself out of buying digital games on my kid's consoles because it'd mean they'd end up squabbling over each other's DSes.

fernoca

There is no debate for how painful or out of touch the whole thing is. The fact I am sitting here on day 4 with a paper weight because Nintendo can't figure out how to have a unified account system is terrible.
Did you contacted them again? As I said earlier, mine took only 10 minutes on December. Others have reported similar timeframes, a few 1 or 2 days. Nintendo even says 48 hours (during business days).

You should call again, provide the reference number from the original call or open a new request, along the info they ask. The most is usually 2 days. But because of the 3 day weekend, maybe day #2 counts as today.

hlhbk

Did you contacted them again? As I said earlier, mine took only 10 minutes on December. Others have reported similar timeframes, a few 1 or 2 days. Nintendo even says 48 hours (during business days).

You should call again, provide the reference number from the original call or open a new request, along the info they ask. The most is usually 2 days. But because of the 3 day weekend, maybe day #2 counts as today.

Please read my first response from earlier today. I have called a total of 4 times about this issue. The initial call on Saturday, Sunday to give them my serial number of my missing 3ds xl that was on the box and was told due to high call volume wait 1-2 days to call back to check status. I called yesterday based on the time frame I was given and they said to call back at noon today if I hadn't heard anything back which I did and not I am being told the process due to high call volume could take 7 days.

fernoca

Please read my first response from earlier today. I have called a total of 4 times about this issue. The initial call on Saturday, Sunday to give them my serial number of my missing 3ds xl that was on the box and was told due to high call volume wait 1-2 days to call back to check status. I called yesterday based on the time frame I was given and they said to call back at noon today if I hadn't heard anything back which I did and not I am being told the process due to high call volume could take 7 days.
Missed that. Sucks still. At least there's a response. Guess the influx of new 3DS owners having problems with transfers.

Sucks also that nearly every service has something good, then other things thst just doesn't make sense as customers. Dealing with Steam for similar matters is as bad if not worse. Like the other poster that was 6 days waiting for a response, just to be able to recover his password. In my case, through something similar I just created a new Steam account since only had one game on it. :p

One can only hope things just get better. I was expecting to wait days back when I did it, so was pleased that it was nearly instant, even during the christmas season.

hlhbk

Day #5 without the transfer. Called in again and apparently Nintendo doesn't have an escalation path. They basically said "sorry but you just have to wait". Great customer service.

Top Bottom