• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, are you willing to pay $70 for games in Next-Gen ?

Are you ok with paying $70 for games?

• No, I won't be paying $70

• Yes, I will pay $70

Results are only viewable after voting.

Woodchipper

Yes, I’ll be happy to.

Edit: I mean, it’s no more than a full course dinner at a decent restaurant, which turns into poop after a few hours.

Last edited:

Avantasia

Neo Member
Here in Europe with 80 $, I Will buy fewer new games and more on retail. It is just in The beginning when all games are new I will buy them for full price.

I think that rpg and bigger games with long play time is easier to motivate 80 $.

Nico_D

Depends so much on the game. Definitely won't pay that for a game that has content (pronounced: "blowt") which I will never touch, the "endgame".

Rarely buy games at launch anymore. Few which I really want and seem absolutely worth it - and Nintendo games. I have a good backlog.

tvdaXD

Depends on the game, but if I want to play on day 1 and/or think it's worth the money I would.
Bonus if I buy on uPlay; I usually get 20% off using points earned from previous games.
I also think it's fair, seeing how the cost of creating some games has grown immensely.

TLDR: Yes.

Murdoch

It's utterly bizzare how these things are cyclic. Last gen we had Sony burning MS with the admittedly hilarious 'this is how you lend games' video. Now this gen you have Sony going down a £70 first party game route and for the same amount of dough you can get over a years worth of subscription for all of Microsoft's first parties plus a shed tonne of others.

Exede

I WOULD pay 70$ couse i already do, i live in a EU country. The question for me is, would i pay 85,50$ (prices without VAT) and the answer is no, of course not!

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

No, I’ll wait for them to go on sale.

Never got this thought process of “I need to have/play/watch it immediately because I have the patience of a 12 year old, even though I know it’ll be far cheaper in a few months!”

Just chill and wait, I guarantee you’ll have something else to play in the meantime.

Yes, just like forever. If I see a game I want to play I will buy it, if there's some juicy collector's edition that I want I will buy it, and so on.
Nobody forces me and there's not only day one as an option

Duallusion

I WOULD pay 70$ couse i already do, i live in a EU country. The question for me is, would i pay 85,50$ (prices without VAT) and the answer is no, of course not!

You're probably talking about physical games but I'm glad we can at least buy digital games on US store/account and save some money from the $/€ conversion.

Exede

You're probably talking about physical games but I'm glad we can at least buy digital games on US store/account and save some money from the $/€ conversion.
Yup, physical. So when you use a VPN to buy outside your local store, why even bother with USD when there even cheaper options?

Duallusion

Yup, physical. So when you use a VPN to buy outside your local store, why even bother with USD when there even cheaper options?

You don't need VPN, since PS is region free. I could probably find even cheaper options/regions but I can't be arsed, frankly; I buy 95% of digital games on heavy discounts anyway.

sublimit

Banned
Lol at people pretending everyone was paying full price this gen for all their games. Most people are waiting for sales (either physical or digital) and they are getting the vast majority of their games (new) for less than 20 bucks. And that was usually after a couple of months. Sure there are people who buy their games on day 1 but those are the minority and only buy (on day 1) a couple of games a year.

Also the guy who was fine at paying 60$ on day 1 (when he could wait a month to get it at least for 10$ less) i doubt he has a problem paying 10$ more.

There's so much hypocrisy and bullshit from certain people and fanboys in order to make rental services like Gamepass seem more "VFM" than they actually are it's disgusting. When finally you idiots with your actions kill consumer's rights for ownership and you have no choice but to bend over and let Gemepass,PSNow or whatever fuck you in the ass it will be too late. Thankfully when it comes to this point i'll still have all my "70$" games (lol) to play whenever i want without having to pay a cent to your overlords. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

edbrat

I don't play many games, when I do I tend to play the shit out of a title also I'm happy to spend a bit on this hobby so $70 is fine with me. Do I wish it was less of course I do I wish they would pay me to play their games but people need to get paid. The people who make the games I like I'm very happy to pay, so hopefully they make more.

DocRay

Well I ordered Miles Morales Ultimate edition for 69.99€ , Demons Soul 59,99€ , COD 64,99€ , Destruction All Stars 59.99 and Sack Boy 59.99. (Media Markt Spain)

Depends of the store, and offers. But right now are the same prices.

Ellery

Well I ordered Miles Morales Ultimate edition for 69.99€ , Demons Soul 59,99€ , COD 64,99€ , Destruction All Stars 59.99 and Sack Boy 59.99. (Media Markt Spain)

Depends of the store, and offers. But right now are the same prices.

You got Demon's Souls for 59,99€ at Media Markt? It shows 79,99€ for me

DocRay

Yep, right now you couldnt find it , it´s out of stock, perhaps a mistake..

This capture is from the day I ordered.

OOsEt6T.png

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No, I will still be paying 40 bucks for it on pc.

Laughs in PC master race while I'm a cuck and spent 100 euro on a thotty wind ranger arcana set in Dota2. Look at how sexy it is:
original.png

F01D067C6F824C97B563948E05477388467A90E4

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Theoratically yes, but no. Games generally get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to much significant post launch patches for me to buy them right away. Sure, I'll buy Demons Souls along with the PS5 at launch but aside from that I'll only dip day 1 to show support to the devs or because of love a series (Resident Evil day 1 for me forever) - and even those games I probably won't play right away but wait at least the first wave of patches are out.

Redlancet

Banned
if the game its like good of war? triple AAA values,excellent game,no mtx,no dlcs, sure,i like to eat on good restaurants too,if you value food and gaming its the same analogy

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
We as consumers have the power to decide market prices in the end so no, I won't buy a single 80€ game.

FunkMiller

I buy maybe two or three games a year at launch, because they’re the ones I really want. The rest I get on sale. Can’t say the price hike bothers me.

I never buy games with microtransactions though. That’s the real poison in video games.

Sure, for games that I really want to play I'll gladly pay it. If I'm not sure or just isn't that interested, no way. Just as I do now, I wait until they drop in price or buy used from eBay or something.

And if I didn't enjoy that expensive game - I just sell it with minimal loss. This is one of many reasons why I will never buy a discless console.

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
Here in Europe with 80 $, I Will buy fewer new games and more on retail. It is just in The beginning when all games are new I will buy them for full price.

I think that rpg and bigger games with long play time is easier to motivate 80 $.

Only PS5 games though. Xbox games still have the old low price.

Troozi

Has there been any indication to whether digital store prices will be the same as retail this gen? £70 feels like a lot anyway, but if the PS Store is then going to sell for £80, then absolutely no chance.

With the exception of demon souls, because I will want something to actually play on release day, I can't see me spending £70 in general on any game this generation. There may be one or two times where I will buy a game on release day - FF7 Remake 2 for example. But nearly everything else I'm happy to wait a few months for an pick if up in a sale.

Arkam

Said in a few threads now. But here goes again. I don’t care for the idea of $10 more a game (but I do get it). However I only buy 5-6 games at launch for ~full price. So in the grand scheme it’s impacting me $50-$60 a year. Would I prefer to spend that money on a bottle of hooch and a six pack? Absolutely! But I also know I will not feel this increase in the slightest.

swarley64

Probably not. It’s too easy to wait for a sale. There’s too many cheap indie or F2P games I could be playing. I could buy into Game Pass. Etc, etc.

Kupfer

I already pay 70€-100€ for launch day Ps4 special edition games. I'm okay with that, because I don't need every game at launch, maybe 4 games a year.

Only in exceptional cases. Usually only if I get caught up in hype.

This gen the only games I paid full price for were:

The Division (regretted)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (refunded before release and bought for $15)
RDR2 (played about an hour then dropped it)
Cyberpunk (not paid for yet but preordered).

Will be playing many more games at release though - thanks GamePass!

Top Bottom