• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, are you willing to pay $70 for games in Next-Gen ?

Are you ok with paying $70 for games?

• No, I won't be paying $70

• Yes, I will pay $70

Results are only viewable after voting.

Caffeine

I know pc will be good for awhile, when ps3/360 games went 60 pc games were still 50 bucks until 2011. a good 5 years before pc started adopting the pricing.
not like I buy them anyway at that price since legit key selling sites usually got the games at ~40 right now.

lachesis

No.
It would mean that I won't buy the games at launch price - I will continue to buy the games on sale price.

un1que

Nope. They make a fortune on games with (most the time) dlc that should be on the disc to begin with.
Get rid of this and loot boxes and it’d be worth it.

Hinedorf

Banned
I'm definitely going to sit on the fence for next gen consoles a solid year or two and dive in when the 20$ reality price tag returns

It was comical when they overcharged for data on a disc, seems we're not getting the hard data and the price goes up?! Consumers need to respond correctly. Too many whales to do that this day and age.

Last edited:
It depends, my personal choice won't make any difference for them to rethink of their bold decision , but I'm not stupid and my instincts can distinguish the good from the bad to nitpick the best of the best and throw the garbage out of the window , critics for the noobs , don't need them.

.Pennywise

Banned
To people saying it's ok because game development it's unsustainable as production cost rises and prices don't.

How do you explain gaming companies and its CEOs becoming richer and richer and earnings/profits rising by the billions?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'll pay $70 for games.

I'll pay $70 for controllers.

I'll pay $70 to play online for a year.

:messenger_sunglasses:

Reactions: MrS

Vawn

Banned
When you think about it, it's really stupid because how many takes time everytime they play to enjoy this three or that house or whatever?
I'm playing FFXIV ATM but even I don't give two shits about the story, cut-scenes and definitely not about the NPC's and environment.

The story and world were the main reasons I played Final Fantasy XIV.

Enjay

Banned
Nope. Also I couldn't care less how much blood sweat and tears some asshole developer put into a lot of the garbage that comes out a full price these days.

s_mirage

I'm not prepared to pay any more than I currently pay.

Over the last two generations we've seen the numbers of games released by major publishers decrease, the variety of the niches covered by their games decrease, a massive increase in bullshit monetization methods, and publishers making record profits. If their financials are healthy, they're not going to increase the variety of their output, and they're not going to reduce the MTX infestation, I'm not increasing my spending. I didn't ask for every game to be a cinematic extravaganza costing $100 million+.

Trogdor1123

I wanted another option to say "it depends on the game". Some games are easily worth it to me, however that will reduce the number of full price games I buy.

I find with games now days that my number one restraint is time, not money.

Trogdor1123

I wonder if they will just try and push more value in collectors editions instead. Push more to the voluntary increase.

bender

What time is it?
I'm okay with it. It will definitely cut my day one impulse buying down which is already pretty low. The knock on effect is that I will also need to wait longer for sale prices in games since it will take longer for them to get to that $10-20 sweet spot.

zelhawks37

I'm okay with paying the 70 dollar base price, but would that extra 10 dollars make it so developers not include so much DLC? Methinks it won't.

DW74

What stuns me is how many folks are willing to roll right over for higher pricing without a word said. Not that I think people should be flipping their shit. But why would you WANT to pay more for...anything??

It's not like gas, where you'll pay whatever it is because you need to get to work that day, no matter what. Or food, because obvious reasons.

MiguelItUp

With multiplatform titles I always get them on PC as they're digital and generally cheaper. If it's a console exclusive that I'm super excited about, well, then sure, I'll pay the full price if I have to. But the amount of times I've had to pay full price for games this current gen hasn't been too often at all. I can't imagine that will change too much.

What stuns me is how many folks are willing to roll right over for higher pricing without a word said. Not that I think people should be flipping their shit. But why would you WANT to pay more for...anything??

It's not like gas, where you'll pay whatever it is because you need to get to work that day, no matter what. Or food, because obvious reasons.

Exactly. I domt want to pay 10 more "just because."

Show me why the extra Hamilton is justified.

The audience for a aaa game and games in general is huge these days.

Blond

Banned
TBH I feel like everyone in the US who doesn't want an increase needs a reality check in terms of game pricing.

The US has paid the cheapest prices for games for far too long, all other countries have paid higher prices than us for a long, long time. In Japan big budget games hit 8,000Y/$72 dollars pretty often and if memory serves me right I'm pretty sure Persona 5 originally launched for 9000Y/80 bucks when I was there . Game prices in the UK launch at 54 pound sterling. Not to mention when American money was worth something game prices we're literally into 80s and 90s.

Video games are a luxury, a luxury that unlike many other ones are HEAVILY geared in our favor. Sure, you can complain about DLC all you want but the reality is even most DLC laden games like NBA 2K or Dead or Alive have enough content to keep you occupied for hours and hours on it's own, they have no real ending and I know for a fact you can dump hundreds of hours into sports games without problem, 50/60/70 bucks a hardcore sports fan will get their money worth.

You can't tell me, with a straight face, no game even when it's only 8 hours and 60 dollars it wasn't geared in your favor because the only thing that can match that is a shit greyhound ride to nowhere and back, plus you have to feed yourself.

Streets of Rage is not worth 90 dollars by today's standards but Halo Infinite, TLOU 2, GoT, Forza Horizon, etc which are games that eclipse it production value but people play it.

Pay the 70 bucks, it's not like you won't benefit even if you don't see it that way.

Last edited:
TBH I feel like everyone in the US who doesn't want an increase needs a reality check in terms of game pricing.

The US has paid the cheapest prices for games for far too long, all other countries have paid higher prices than us for a long, long time. In Japan big budget games hit 8,000Y/$72 dollars pretty often and if memory serves me right I'm pretty sure Persona 5 originally launched for 9000Y/80 bucks when I was there . Game prices in the UK launch at 54 pound sterling. Not to mention when American money was worth something game prices we're literally into 80s and 90s.

Video games are a luxury, a luxury that unlike many other ones are HEAVILY geared in our favor. Sure, you can complain about DLC all you want but the reality is even most DLC laden games like NBA 2K or Dead or Alive have enough content to keep you occupied for hours and hours on it's own, they have no real ending and I know for a fact you can dump hundreds of hours into sports games without problem, 50/60/70 bucks a hardcore sports fan will get their money worth.

You can't tell me, with a straight face, no game even when it's only 8 hours and 60 dollars it wasn't geared in your favor because the only thing that can match that is a shit greyhound ride to nowhere and back, plus you have to feed yourself.

Streets of Rage is not worth 90 dollars by today's standards but Halo Infinite, TLOU 2, GoT, Forza Horizon, etc which are games that eclipse it production value but people play it.

Pay the 70 bucks, it's not like you won't benefit it even if you don't see it that way.

The price will be determined by what we're willing to pay. Markets drive these things that's why the US has had its pricing structure. I dont think that's hard to understand. If 70 doesnt work it will go back. No one wants to spend more money for the same thing just because. If you do you're welcome to mail your dev of choice a check 🤷‍♂️

EDMIX

I'll gladly pay.

Folks mad about DLC, season passes, microtransactions etc....where did you even think that came from? Out of thin air? That was done BECAUSE they needed to make a return on development that was getting more and more costly, while the base game was staying the EXACT SAME for 15 years. Thats waaaaay too long to do that and really not expect the industry to find a way.

We must have a balance. To keep games the same price, expect what you saw from Call Of Duty Black Ops 4 with no SP, Red Dead 2's MP being in beta, The Last Of Us 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 both delaying MP mode etc. Expect MTs and Season passes too.

Gamers want to have their cake and eat it too.

They want to sit around and ask for NEXT GEN FEATURES, while giving the same pay for 15 years, and oh btw sir, if you thought you could make some extra pay by working on the DLC for a few years to feed your family, nope, gamers don't want that either..

Basically don't make DLC, don't make season passes, keep games the same price, no MT annnnnnnnd make games bigger, better looking, more features, next gen tech etc.

It makes next to no sense.

It would be like asking for a Big Mac that is BIGGER, has a extra patty while also paying the same price as 15 years ago......

I'll gladly pay.

Folks mad about DLC, season passes, microtransactions etc....where did you even think that came from? Out of thin air? That was done BECAUSE they needed to make a return on development that was getting more and more costly, while the base game was staying the EXACT SAME for 15 years. Thats waaaaay too long to do that and really not expect the industry to find a way.

We must have a balance. To keep games the same price, expect what you saw from Call Of Duty Black Ops 4 with no SP, Red Dead 2's MP being in beta, The Last Of Us 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 both delaying MP mode etc. Expect MTs and Season passes too.

Gamers want to have their cake and eat it too.

They want to sit around and ask for NEXT GEN FEATURES, while giving the same pay for 15 years, and oh btw sir, if you thought you could make some extra pay by working on the DLC for a few years to feed your family, nope, gamers don't want that either..

Basically don't make DLC, don't make season passes, keep games the same price, no MT annnnnnnnd make games bigger, better looking, more features, next gen tech etc.

It makes next to no sense.

It would be like asking for a Big Mac that is BIGGER, has a extra patty while also paying the same price as 15 years ago......

Please tell me Destiny's financial model was based on feeding families and not corporate greed focused on squeezing every penny out of the customer.

I would argue developers are the ones that want to have their cake and eat it too.

Why not sell single player and multiplayer separate? With a bundle if you want both? Maybe I dont care about one or the other. Why should I pay for the mode I dont want?

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
The price will be determined by what we're willing to pay. Markets drive these things that's why the US has had its pricing structure. I dont think that's hard to understand. If 70 doesnt work it will go back. No one wants to spend more money for the same thing just because. If you do you're welcome to mail your dev of choice a check 🤷‍♂️

Oh the market will dictate it alright, and it'll happen regardless if you want too or not, we've paid cheaply for games for too long and it has to happen. Sorry. You can't tell me The Witcher 3 complete edition at 15 bucks with over 500 hours of content among one game and 2 expansions isn't in your favor. This doesn't happen in other industries, I still had to pay 30 bucks for My Beautiful Launderette on Bluray

Last edited:

EDMIX

Please tell me Destiny's financial model was based on feeding families and not corporate greed focused on squeezing every penny out of the customer.

Destiny being an MMO is moot.

Its like trying to use World Of Warcraft as an example or something. With an MMO, that entire concept is completely different

Blond Blond Agreed.

Thats how I see it.

I remember buying like 10 games one year and looked up the inflation and realized just how cheap games where and even myself agreed that maybe they needed a increase as we can't actually keep going on like this. I mean, I love buying me lots of games, but the fact that I'm able to at this rate sorta shows they are waaaaay cheaper and a increase should have happened this gen and even $10 is quite light.

It should actually be more...

Why anyone thinks the same price for 15 years is sustainable is beyond me.

Last edited:

iorek21

It depends, are they going to stop releasing unfinished games like Anthem and Fallout 76?

Are they still going to sell season passes for the complete experience?

Will horse armor/microtransactions still be a thing?

If yes for all three questions, then fuck you, publishers, I'm not paying that

Dlacy13g

Something important to note here, NBA2K is charging a premium for their next Gen version of their sports game... And yet EA is offering up no additional charge for their next Gen. Upgrade with Madden. I don't know for certain but I would hedge a guess EA also are not charging anything more than 60 for their next Gen. Madden title... So does this really just point to NBA2K just giving us a next Gen. Tax? Is there really that much difference between NBA2K games and Madden games in terms of what they offer year in and year out?

Abear21

Banned
Devs have been making a killing with micro transactions and given games away under this model so I’m a little surprised about a price increase.

It’s like a movie ticket, yeah when taking into consideration inflation it’s easy to expect price increases and justify them, but would you pay $30 to see an average movie? How much disposable income do people really to spend on entertainment? For the masses, $75-95 for after tax and considering special editions is too steep if you ask me. Especially when most games want more for dlc, seasons pass, etc.

Last edited:
Oh the market will dictate it alright, and it'll happen regardless if you want too or not, we've paid cheaply for games for too long and it has to happen. Sorry. You can't tell me The Witcher 3 complete edition at 15 bucks with over 500 hours of content among one game and 2 expansions isn't in your favor. This doesn't happen in other industries, I still had to pay 30 bucks for My Beautiful Launderette on Bluray

Friend. You're missing the point. I said the market will dictate the price and it will. I dont care if games are 70. I will pay it if and only if I think it's worth it. I paid 350.00 for ff7 remake. I have no problem whatsoever paying what I think a game is worth. I simply do not think ALL "AAA" games are worth 70 at launch and am more than willing to wait.

The newest sports game commanding a premium over last year? Dont make me laugh.

Destiny being an MMO is moot.

Its like trying to use World Of Warcraft as an example or something. With an MMO, that entire concept is completely different

Blond Blond Agreed.

Thats how I see it.

I remember buying like 10 games one year and looked up the inflation and realized just how cheap games where and even myself agreed that maybe they needed a increase as we can't actually keep going on like this. I mean, I love buying me lots of games, but the fact that I'm able to at this rate sorta shows they are waaaaay cheaper and a increase should have happened this gen and even $10 is quite light.

It should actually be more...

Why anyone thinks the same price for 15 years is sustainable is beyond me.

You're right I forgot destiny has a monthly subscription 🤦‍♂️

EDMIX

It depends, are they going to stop releasing unfinished games like Anthem and Fallout 76?

? huh? Lets focus on games that are not MMOs or subscription based or online or anything like that.

its like saying are they still going to make World Of Warcraft or EVE Online or FFXIV or something. Using that logic, those games are "unfinished". Its like trying to say the news is "unfinished" cause you never see an end to it you something or like a soap opera. It seems strange and doesn't really fit as those are just not games that are even made to fit the thing you are asking for...

Are they still going to sell season passes for the complete experience?

Logical question. Maybe, we are seeing many publishers stop doing that right now, with a price hike I think you'll see a lot of that slow down.

UnravelKatharsis UnravelKatharsis huh? Destiny doesn't have a subscription, you can be a MMO and not have a subscription. So...if you are going to be emotionally triggered to the point of making straw man arguments over semantics, I'm simply adding you to the ignore list.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
YES. One of my "rules" for next gen is to quite simply never have a backlog. If for example at launch, I buy 5 games for Xbox Series X and the 6th game that I buy gets released in March 2021, then those 5 games must be completed before that 6th game gets released. In order to accomplish this, every game will be purchased at launch even if the game is $70 because if I wait for a sale or whatever, chances are that I'll just lose interest in the game but buying it day one, I wouldn't want to waste that $70 so the game must be played and completed.

I know it's a weird way of looking at it but as someone who's missed out on several top tier games the last two generations simply because once any game gets too old and outdated, it's simply no longer a must play regardless of the game and thus, I move on so in order to eliminate this problem and the problem of just having a backlog in general, games im 100% all in on will be purchased day one.

Plus, since I will be saving $50+ from buying exclusives for Xbox Series X and other titles due to them going on Game Pass day one, that will easily even out the extra $10 for every game I purchase day one. If the game that im looking to buy day one is 50/50 in regards to me having interest in the game and I don't buy it day one, it gets eliminated from my futurelog gaming list completely.

As someone who had over $1200 in monetary gaming losses (meaning digital game purchases that were never completed and in a lot of cases, never played) the last two generations, I simply had to come up with a way that works for me and that is strict to where if a game isn't worth buying day one for me, then it's not worth buying at all. Excludes games that go on Game Pass day one.

For me, just way too much indecision or buying games years later that I wanted to play day one but didn't simply needs to end. Sticking with this strict and required setup will equal me eliminating the lesser games that aren't worth playing as well as losing less money if not any money at all and eliminates the possibility of ever having a backlog.

Reactions: MrS

DW74

The US has paid the cheapest prices for games for far too long, all other countries have paid higher prices than us for a long, long time

Who cares what other countries pay? That's their problem. I am an American and I care about what prices are in America. Most of the big Western dev houses are right here.

If some dude in Australia has a problem paying $120 AUD for a game, he can take it up with his local representatives.

These assholes in the industry made their own problem with overpaying the top guys and underpaying the front line devs. The front line devs may be suffering. Join the club. But companies aren't scraping by on pennies. They are making money hand over foot, and have for years. So no, I'm not giving them even more for it to go right into the pockets of CEOs and investors.

Last edited:
? huh? Lets focus on games that are not MMOs or subscription based or online or anything like that.

its like saying are they still going to make World Of Warcraft or EVE Online or FFXIV or something. Using that logic, those games are "unfinished". Its like trying to say the news is "unfinished" cause you never see an end to it you something or like a soap opera. It seems strange and doesn't really fit as those are just not games that are even made to fit the thing you are asking for...

Logical question. Maybe, we are seeing many publishers stop doing that right now, with a price hike I think you'll see a lot of that slow down.

UnravelKatharsis UnravelKatharsis huh? Destiny doesn't have a subscription, you can be a MMO and not have a subscription. So...if you are going to be emotionally triggered to the point of making straw man arguments over semantics, I'm simply adding you to the ignore list.

Why cant people have discussions without making accusations? I'll save you the trouble and just put you on mine.

Blond

Banned
Who cares what other countries pay? That's their problem. I am an American and I care about what prices are in America. Most of the big Western dev houses are right here.

If some dude in Australia has a problem paying $120 AUD for a game, he can take it up with his local representatives.

These assholes in the industry made their own problem with overpaying the top guys and underpaying the front line devs. The front line devs may be suffering. Join the club. But companies aren't scraping by on pennies. They are making money hand over foot, and have for years. So no, I'm not giving them even more for it to go right into the pockets of CEOs and investors.

Gaming isn't sustainable at the current prices, you're gonna have to deal with the fact we need to pay more. We aren't paying relative prices for the goods we consume, it's why everything is shit and people love all that cheap Chinese wish.com shit.

No is winning?! Hahaha!!! Hilarious. A few dollars more people jezussss!!!

No one's even saying they have to buy games at launch.

Last edited:

DW74

Gaming isn't sustainable at the current prices, you're gonna have to deal with the fact we need to pay more.

You didn't even acknowledge what I said. The money wouldn't be going to the people you think it should be. Paying even more would be fruitless. It'd go right to CEOs and investors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom