• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, are you willing to pay $70 for games in Next-Gen ?

Are you ok with paying $70 for games?

• No, I won't be paying $70

• Yes, I will pay $70

Results are only viewable after voting.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well I am pay that now, even more around 80USD, so I am getting ready for 100USD games. At the end of the PS3/X360 generation, games cost like 40USD (at today rate), fucking bullshit, these open world games, which takes milion years to complete are really pisses me off. Budget rises astronomically, even if games are same garbage.

DW74

I have gamed on PC for 22 years now. So I haven’t paid full price for a game in a long time. Thank you, isthereanydeal.com.

The sad thing is that my brothers, their best friend, and I, were thinking of jumping back into console gaming in the new generation (none of them have kept gaming like I have). We all live far apart and it’s something we could do “together” as we used to do “game nights” at their house when they were young.

I’ve been preparing to buy a new TV just for the plan. Now I’m having some doubt if I want to go through with the plan. The consoles will be more costly than ever I’m sure, back to paying for online play, and now $70 games on top of it? I don’t know. Hourly pay for us wage slaves hasn’t kept pace with inflation.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
If the game is worth it then yes I will pay the money. But developers should price their games according to the quality. No more bullsh*t games priced at 59$ or 69(nice)$.

yurqqa

Even if I have 2-3 games that I'm playing right now and huge backlog, I usually buy games I like at launch.
At first I say to myself that I'll wait for half a year, cause I have very good games to play right now, but after 2-3 days I buy the new game anyway.

If they'll make it $70, I'll wait nor 2-3 day, but a week and then "will buy it at a high price".

I'm the best type of customer for the publishers.

P.S. Not the very best though - at least I don't preorder and wait for the reviews.

BlackTron

There's usually only 2 or 3 games per gen that I demand buying immediately when it comes out anyway, so I'm not that phased by it.

Hell right now I'm going out to buy Iron Man VR and it's only $40 anyway lol...

I haven't bought a full priced game in years. Console games I get second hand, PC games I get during sales. I'm used to waiting for complete editions to come out anyway, and my backlog is huge, so I'm good.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I don't buy games at launch. I'll wait 6 months for the "complete edition" with all the content and then wait for a sale to finally get it.
It also helps me not giving a damn about multiplayer.

SoraNoKuni

Well it depends, considering my coutry's salaries I would say it's really dumb to give 60-70, I usually buy at launch only the games which I am really hyped for, else I get them from digital sales or used.

So this gen I bought only 3 games at full price, KH3, Death Stranding, Persona 5.

Soulja

Almost every game comes with some sort of microtransaction now and the majority of games have content cut so it can be sold to us at a later date. If companies like 2k were struggling to break even on their games then I could understand it but whilst they are raking in millions and million in profit no way will I pay £70 for a game game like nba or fifa. If its a game like Cyberpunk then I most likely wouldn't have an issue with paying £70 as I know I'm going to get my moneys worth. Maybe companies should open up more about how much money their games make or lose? And then we can see if the price increase is fair 🤔

Companies charge silly prices for skins, say £5 for one but how long does it take to create the skin? A few hours? But then they get £1000s and £1000s back from it. Stuff like this pisses me off, when can anybody else do a few hours work and make £1000s upon £1000s?

GeorgPrime

Banned
Since the NBA2K21 70 dollars price for next gen, and some publishers saying they might rise the entry price for games in the next-gen. There's been some discussion around it, and a lot to discuss on the matter if you are up for it, like if the games cost the same or less due to inflation, how much truth is on the rising costs of production, if the playerbases are the same than old days, microtransactions, etc etc etc.

But at the end of the day it's just one question and is up to you, the consumer, to decide. Are you ok with paying a new MSRP of $70 dollars for videogames?

I dont even pay 60 dollar if the game doesnt have the right content. I buy Most games when they go down in price.

A game like NBA is just not worth 70 dollar.

A game like witcher 3 is worth it

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Of course, I would pay $70. I'm not going to miss out of the biggest AAA games I want to play because of inflation and higher gaming budgets.

The $60 price started with the PS360 generation. The Xbox 360 launched in 2001.

$59.99 in 2001 is equivalent to $86.90 in 2020. So, even at $69.99, games are cheaper than they've ever been.

I'm actually surprised $60 has lasted this long.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am not even willing to pay 60 for current gen :pie_roffles:

I don't buy games at launch. I'll wait 6 months for the "complete edition" with all the content and then wait for a sale to finally get it.
It also helps me not giving a damn about multiplayer.

you also forgot to mention that you will get the version that has actually been patched and finished and not riddled with bugs.. for less money

Last edited:

Mr.Bond

Nope, they already make shitloads of extra cash with mtx, I would only pay that amount for a non mtx-ridden game

Nickolaidas

Don't really care, tbh.

If it's not a Resident Evil or Mortal Kombat game, I almost never buy at launch.

It's not like I don't already have a backlog up my ass to keep me busy until the price drops ...

I think only Rockstar game could push me to pay that kind of obscene money at launch. Maybe, just maybe next Elder Scrolls but I don’t trust Bethesda anymore so there’s that. Now, if I know I’ll be playing the multiplayer game for at least half a year because it’s so good (like current CoD) then yeah. But still, with all the MTX they put I don’t think they deserve it.

Mhmmm 2077

No way in hell. Sure, tell me how games are more expensive to make these days, then I will tell you that these days it's the easiest to make games. Anyway, I will keep getting games from companies that are not this greedy, I guess.

Shin

Banned
these open world games, which takes milion years to complete are really pisses me off. Budget rises astronomically, even if games are same garbage.

When you think about it, it's really stupid because how many takes time everytime they play to enjoy this three or that house or whatever?
I'm playing FFXIV ATM but even I don't give two shits about the story, cut-scenes and definitely not about the NPC's and environment.

Get from point A to B ASAP and have a decent understanding of it all is good enough, sounds shallow but isn't how how most players are?
They don't spend time to take it all in, yet developers spend months/years on shit people don't really care about or even stop to appreciate.

Rayderism

Other than waiting for sales or price drops, what choice will we have if we wish to continue playing the newest games?

Ar¢tos

image.gif

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Game Pass and wait for sales or price drops. No reason to buy games at full price anymore.

DW74

I'm getting really disillusioned with gaming as I get older. 46 now. And I'm not naive, nor stupid enough to say that it wasn't about money in the old days. Because it was.

But it seems SO profit-driven now. Like, solely for profit with little to no interest in quality or creating fun experiences for fellow geeks.

The big publishers and devs are making money hand over foot. And they can pay a fuck like Kotick his ludicrous salary. And he's hardly alone. I just have a hard time believing that this industry is scraping by on pennies so hard that they need to do this. You better believe that the MTX and whatnot will come right along with that higher price tag, too.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I'm getting really disillusioned with gaming as I get older. I'm not naive nor stupid enough to say it wasn't about money in the old days. Because it was.

But it seems SO profit-driven now....
I know where you're coming from, same for me - with age comes wisdom, truly.

Ten_Fold

Yes, I don’t have a problem with it, I would if I played COD or any yearly game, but I usually play fighters and jrpg, so it’s not a big deal to me. They just better cut down on loot boxes and DLC.

Cato

Banned
Happy to pay it.

If they stop doing this bullshit "chop the game up in incomplete pieces and sell as seasonpass"
and just give me the whole game from day one, I am happy to pay 100$ per game. No joke.

Games already are 69.90€ (79$) on launch.

And no, why would I pay 70€ when I can get used copy for 30-40€ in week or two?

Or on sale in few months.

Launch prices are ridiculous and i just dont get why people are willing to pay so much, but good to us that buy em used for -20-40% soon after launch.

Usually I wait even longer and get em for 5-20€

John Day

So many sales around the year in all platforms, i know hype makes you jump the gun with that special game you’ve been waiting, but if possible, wait for those sales.

I'm happy to let early adopters finance my discounts. Nothing wrong with early adopters of course. The industry would struggle without people buying at release. But I've got so much to play that only in rare cases will I buy close to or upon release. Just no reason to do it for me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A whole lot of people paid that price in the 90s for AAA games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, I don't like that pricing point so what kinda question is this anyway? Gamers are already paying for subscriptions, DLC etc. I think games are ready for $45 price point.

xrnzaaas

Nope, I won't be buying full priced games on day1 unless it's one of the few titles I'm really really looking forward to playing. Usually I can say this about 2-3 games each year.

ExpandKong

Banned
I’ll pay $70 for a Zelda game but everything else I’ve got no problem waiting for a price drop/used copy/definitive edition. Miss me with that bullshit.

laynelane

It depends on the game. I'm looking forward to the next God of War, for example, and am reasonably certain I'll enjoy it - I don't mind paying an increased price for that (it won't be $10 where I live - more like $15). For many games, though, I have no problem waiting for price drops.

To my point, you acting like people on Gaf = 100% gaming community.

🤦‍♂️ no I'm not. You're not a mindreader.

YOU said we represent 0.1% of gamers. What a stupid assertion.

We have hardcore and casual gamers alike here. What makes you think gaf is not an accurate representation of the gaming community exactly? I'd love to be enlightened. Your assertion that we make up 0.1% of the gaming mindset is silly. If you had said 10 or 20% I wouldn't be arguing as much. But a fraction of a percent? Please.

Last edited:
🤦‍♂️ no I'm not. You're not a mindreader.

YOU said we represent 0.1% of gamers. What a stupid assertion.

We have hardcore and casual gamers alike here. What makes you think gaf is not an accurate representation of the gaming community exactly? I'd love to be enlightened. Your assertion that we make up 0.1% of the gaming mindset is silly. If you had said 10 or 20% I wouldn't be arguing as much. But a fraction of a percent? Please.
Calm down.

Top Bottom