• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, are you willing to pay $70 for games in Next-Gen ?

Are you ok with paying $70 for games?

• No, I won't be paying $70

• Yes, I will pay $70

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stuart360

Eh...not really. I know "rising development costs" and all, but I'm still fine with the level of graphics we had in the gen of PS360, so it's a really hard sell for me to be paying more for a graphics upgrade that I never asked for.
I dont know if the 'development costs' thing can be used as an excuse as much next gen. Didnt some devs already say that costs and development time may actually go down next gen?, pretty sure i read that. And ray tracing is supposed to save a lot of time and money over having to do fake lighting. Then the consoles should be powerful enough for studios to use stuff like lazer scanners to scan objects and get a 3d asset instantly, as oppose to having a dev spend a whole day making a cup etc.

ZywyPL

Banned
Fully depends on the games themselves. Most games fall btween "day one" and "no buy" anyway, because of the content vs price ratio, so I'll be still getting most games during a sale or after a price drop, but if there will be a "day one" title for me it will be day one regardless the price.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As many of you are aware, I'm brazilian. The current exchange rate makes $70 the equivalent of over R$ 370 in BR money. That's over 1/3 of the local minimum wage. I can't begin to justify it.
Similar in Poland. The game now is 250pln and people earn 2k. 70usd will be 300pln...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you with a trusted family member or buddy, remember you can do home sharing.

That $70 download (more like $90 in Canada) is half the costs split in two.

I don't know about PSN, but Xbox also allows your home sharing to include Gold, GP Ultimate and EA Access. So as long as you have a trusted friend/fam, it's really half price if you mutually agree to get a game.

In a world of DLCs, MTX, "Expansions" and games being fixed after release, a $70 price is not justified in the least. $60 was justified in the old days because patching/ dlcs was impossible after release, so all content had to be in the game at release.

Codeblew

I always wait for post-launch reviews before I buy games I am really interested in. Saved me $60 on TLOU2. For other games, I wait until they are on at least 50% discount and I usually watch some youtube/twitch of gameplay to make sure it is something I would like.

LostDonkey

Hell to the no.

Around £35-40 is my limit.

Games here in the UK are around £59.99 At least digitally when they launch, which is around $75.

I always wait for a sale.

Last edited:

checkcola

I got a huge wish list of old games on my Switch and as sells pop up, cross them off here and there. No reason to be paying 70+taxes+micro/DLC/loot nonsense for some next gen trash Triple A game. My opinion only.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This will just push me to stop buying any games new. I'll just coast a year or two behind what's out for 20% of the cost. No way will I ever pay $70 for games.

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm scrolling through the comments, and it's 2009 all over again - you guys said the exact same things last time, only to keep paying 60$ instead of 50 throughout the past decade on day one over and over again, so please, stop lying to yourself, yo know you won't stop gaming, and that 10$ isn't god knows how much money to kill you hobby. Once every publisher jumps on the 70$ ship and that's the only value you'll see, after a year you'll forget games used to be 60$. People are used to everything going up, no one will bat an eye when games will too.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
99,5% of people would buy (they don't really have a choice) impulse buy, others wont which wont make any difference in the grand scheme of things.
(excuse my bad eng)

8ymZV5UC6-S7Zqh5WVAX0rqGZ89FaGwJpnQsnCX7EY8vZotE2KOi97Ub34PSB27Shoc468eoK36gUKOyJQ3M8dHnQcmfGVJYS3DCGBXaZ22Op1ZKU0Mj3im_DAo6juk99FXvAyzypy7g-7rIfr45oEwKraOmMi9AmM4

Well, the results of the poll thus far would indicate you're pretty far off the mark.

Are games cheap? Relatively. But they were expensive in the 80s. Those prices needed to come down.

I think the older we get the more patient we get and if im not dying to play a game im more than happy waiting to save 40-50%.

So yea I'll pay full price here and there but by and large? No way.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Nope. Think I supported the industry long enough with buying games full price. Now the younger generation can do their part. Not paying more that 20 bucks for games any more - which is also the reason why I will either not buy NextGen until the games reach that point of go Series X first (Game Pass).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm scrolling through the comments, and it's 2009 all over again - you guys said the exact same things last time, only to keep paying 60$ instead of 50 throughout the past decade on day one over and over again, so please, stop lying to yourself, yo know you won't stop gaming, and that 10$ isn't god knows how much money to kill you hobby. Once every publisher jumps on the 70$ ship and that's the only value you'll see, after a year you'll forget games used to be 60$. People are used to everything going up, no one will bat an eye when games will too.

$70 is more than $60. It's not the same.

Tons of people on here don't buy movies anymore, or music, or go to the theater, or do lots of other things they used to do a lot, but are no longer worth it.

Maybe for that rare game once a year you just have to have? But of course, tons of people are going to stop buying as many games as they currently do, or stop buying them altogether new.

recma12

Poll questions are kinda misleading, should be:

a) Yes I'm willing to pay 70$/€ for a short time post PS5/XSX launch
b) I'm not getting a next gen console in 2020

Thing is, that next gen games always come with a markup in the first few weeks. Has been like that for PS4/X1 as well (Germany), all games were 69.99€ for a couple of months.

Retailers know that people who buy consoles within 3-4 months after they launch....
- have the money laying around to pay an extra 10€
- have no used-game market available to them
- need something to put in their shiny new boxes

There's just 0 incentive to do any sales or pricecuts.
By the time the install base has grown and people put their PS5 on Ebay, you they will cut down prices.

No need to worry, by fall 2021 you will be able to pick up PS5 games on day one for 59.99€ like always.

Reactions: MrS

ShadowNate

I only ever buy few games close to their release or at the original price, and even fewer if they're priced above $40. The huge backlog rarely justifies a new such purchase.

There are exceptions, and I would be paying more than $60 to a well reviewed game from friends or reviewers that I trust to have the same taste.

It's probably not happening on day-one releases though.

A $70+ game for me should have all its DLCs released and the most reported/ annoying bugs resolved. Replayabilty and a crapton of extras -- a good manual, maybe an art book, making of and soundtrack -- would also help the case.

ZywyPL

Banned
$70 is more than $60. It's not the same.

Tons of people on here don't buy movies anymore, or music, or go to the theater, or do lots of other things they used to do a lot, but are no longer worth it.

Maybe for that rare game once a year you just have to have? But of course, tons of people are going to stop buying as many games as they currently do, or stop buying them altogether new.

How many tho? Not mamy people have such a strong will, crowd psychology does its job, people see there's a hot topic (game) and they go buy it to be able to jump into the conversation, or just check out what all the fuss is about. Take recent TLoU2 for example, where many people feel like they need to see first-hand what's all the controversy about the game is, while they could as well wait a year or two once it's half the price. Video games, just like movies, have a very short but intense lifespan, first week/month is what it's all about, after that you're LTTP and feel alienated from the community, and not many people want that.

Last edited:

TheSweeper

I'd be okay with that. For certain games at last. I only buy a handful of games per year and then usually collector's editions which cost more anyways.

zombrex

No chance. With games being released riddled with bugs, constant patches and excessive DLC it is far better value to wait until 6+ months after release and get the game cheaper or just wait for the ultimate edition. A $70 game at release is still going to be discounted substantially over its lifetime. You pay the premium for being able to play the game sooner.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

No i won't be paying 70, i'm a PC gamer, always have been, i remember when they doubled the price of PC games from 30 to 60 in 2013 to put them inline with the consoles here in England, the quality didn't double in price as they are mostly ports,

i either buy in a sale later or from a cheaper key seller site, although they are not as varied as they use to be, i use to use Enhanced Steam a lot, i miss it.

Hostile_18

Banned
Ok so with most of us with regards to pricing nothing can be said in "absolutes".

For me the higher the pricing the less games i will buy at launch. Simple as that really. If anyone thinks that a higher price will get rid of microtransactions your living in another world 😉.

bellome

In EU some videogames prices have peaked to 75euro during this gen.

A further increase in price would mean a 85euro price tag.

In my opinion full price sales will suffer badly if every game will sell at that price.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No i'm willing to pay 50 euros like i did for the entire current gen.

Nobody buy games at full price anymore except who buy the digital version, many store have some type of bullshit that enable you to pay less at launch.

Business

People already pays 70€ in Europe with this number representing a larger part of the average income than 70$ is in the US. The US market will take 70$ no problem, and they know it. What I don't know is if Europe can take 80...

edit: Also, now that I think of it we were paying 78€ (not adjusted for inflation!) for Super Nintendo games in the '90s, so yeah...

Last edited:

Three

I don't even pay $60 now, usually. I don't buy games on release. I have a huge backlog of games and I buy games on sale having not finished the one I'm on.

Well, the results of the poll thus far would indicate you're pretty far off the mark.

Are games cheap? Relatively. But they were expensive in the 80s. Those prices needed to come down.

I think the older we get the more patient we get and if im not dying to play a game im more than happy waiting to save 40-50%.

So yea I'll pay full price here and there but by and large? No way.
I'm not sure Gaf represent 0,1% of the gaming community worldwide (the poll doesn't mean anything), also the main target selling games are kids/teens, adults are just icing on the cake.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I will. Games have stayed at the same price for a very long time. A PS4 game is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than a SNES or PS1 game when accounting for inflation, even though production costs have gone up dramatically. So I'd say we're due for a price correction. It's not that I WANT to pay more, but it does make sense.

ToadMan

Yes I’m prepared to go to $70 now.

Between inflation, standard of living and other cost and value increases it seems a reasonable jump to me for major games.

Not to mention that there is a lot more effort going into game development as each gen goes by.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Not really. There is no reason to go from 60 to 70 considering
-console piracy is nearly gone, unlike in the past
-digital is much more prominent
-sales as high as ever
-season passes, dlc, microtransactions
-outsourcing to India

Sony

Nintendo
No. I haven't bought a full priced game this past gen. I don't spend enough time gaming to justify full price purchases.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd pay $70 for some games I guess but it's rare I buy at launch anyway.

I think some of the bigger AAA games with 40+ hours of gameplay and really high Dev costs can justify the $70. Those games are the exception though.

Camreezie

Annualised sports titles already rehash most of the game year to year how can they justify being one of the first titles to increase the price lmao

With Xbox Gamepass, I’ll get all Microsoft’s day 1 for just a few bucks a month.

Everything else that’s not Battlefield, GTA, Elder Scrolls, or KOTOR 3, I’ll wait till the “gold edition” is on sale for $15 to $30.

Top Bottom