• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, did the events (in-universe) of Total Recall actually happened or was it a dream?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yesterday, I have seen Total Recall to celebrate Arnold Schwarzeneggers 70th birthday, this was the first time I saw this movie in like 6 years.

giphy.gif

I completely forgot what an amazing movie it was, the great effects and all the imaginative stuff that goes on, the agent toys, the mutants (yeah, I am talking about that mutant ;)), the great performances of Michael Ironside, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sharon Stone - I just love the fight scene in their kitchen
giphy.gif

and the great retrofuturistic look. And yeah, the taxi-robot looks super silly nowadays but I think that was even the intention back then.

But just take a look at this:

giphy.gif

The effects in this movie are just terrific.

This movie has such a great great personality, something modern action movies totally lack. Everything is nowadays just way to clean and has no soul, has to appeal to everyone. Action movies just went way downhill after the 80s. Just look at my top action movies with Schwarzenegger: Terminator 2, Predator, Total Recall, Phantom Commando. While some of the share a Sci-Fi setting, each one of them is very unique and different, but top notch and everyone of them do their own thing in a excellent way.

To go back to my topic, after I finished the movie I saw that there where actually some discussions on some message boards, that its not clear if the events in the movie actually occur or if they are just the dream that gets implanted into Douglas mind. This was never a thing for me, I always considered everything to be actually happening - Douglas beeing a agent made sense to me but now reconsidering the events of the movie and even the alien artifacts beeing shown at Rekall in the beginning of the movie made me wonder, what actually the canon version is supposed to be.
I think the only thing that is missing from Rekalls promises was the Space-Monster, but I am really not sure.

Whats the consens on the move and its events?

Before we forget the greatness that was us given by legolambs, here is Total Recall - The Musical

A-V-B

Well, the woman he created before "going in" was the woman he actually met, so it was a Total Recall experience, right?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well, the woman he created before "going in" was the woman he actually met, so it was a Total Recall experience, right?
But he dreamed of her before and choose her look because of his dream.

He even said that its like he knows her IIRC

LakeEarth

He was dreaming about her before Recall, suggesting he knew her previous to the initial memory wipe.

The part where the program is called "Blue Skies on Mars" though...

Hellraizah

I listened to the remake a couple of days ago.

I think I should do like you and wash my memories by listening to the original.

It's been a while since I've seen it but I've always been in the "it's all a dream" camp. Mostly because of the ending with the slightly unsettling Jerry Goldsmith score. Never read the short story though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Also, his buddy - who later turns out to be a hilariously doughy assassin - gives him the side-eye when he mentions going to Rekall.
Exactly

It's been a while since I've seen it but I've always been in the "it's all a dream" camp. Mostly because of the ending with the slightly unsettling Jerry Goldsmith score. Never read the short story though.
I just read the Wikipedia summary and its something completly diferent

The DVD commentary with Paul Verhoeven and Arnold Schwarzenegger confirmed it was a dream (I can't remember if the commentary track carried over to the Blu-ray releases). That kind of sucks because I wanted it to be real, but it makes more sense as a dream. I'm not sure about the lobotomy part others posted above. That seems kind of dark.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The DVD commentary with Paul Verhoeven and Arnold Schwarzenegger confirmed it was a dream (I don't know if the commentary track carried over to the Blu-ray releases). That kind of sucks because I wanted it to be real, but it makes more sense as a dream. I'm not sure about the lobotomy part.
Welp. There it is.

To bad :/

tuffy

It's wonderfully ambiguous, but the "blue sky on Mars" offhand remark from the Rekall employee and how the intervention doctor spells out what's going to happen in the rest of the film ("one minute you'll be the savior of the resistance, and the next you'll be Cohagen's bosom buddy") puts me in the "all a dream" camp.

Always thought it's a dream, but they leave it vague so the audience can make it whatever they want.

The story plays out exactly like he asks at Recall(the girl, he wants to be a secret agent etc)

The book it's based on is called "We can Remember it for you Wholesale" as well, kind of gives it away.

timberger

It's wonderfully ambiguous, but the "blue sky on Mars" offhand remark from the Rekall employee and how the intervention doctor spells out what's going to happen in the rest of the film ("one minute you'll be the savior of the resistance, and the next you'll be Cohagen's bosom buddy") puts me in the "all a dream" camp.

Intervention doc was working for Cohagen, so he'd know Quaid was Cohagen's pal previously before he was wiped. And his mind was wiped because he found out about the alien terraforming machine, so him making "Blue skies on mars" part of his fantasy could also have been part of his memories coming back as he was going under like with the woman he describes.

That's the great thing about this movie, you can really take it either way because everything in it can work for the dream or reality explanation. It's really well put together... unlike the laughable remake.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Intervention doc was working for Cohagen, so he'd know Quaid was Cohagen's pal previously before he was wiped. And his mind was wiped because he found out about the alien terraforming machine, so him making "Blue skies on mars" part of his fantasy could also have been part of his memories coming back as he was going under like with the woman he describes.

That's the great thing about this movie, you can really take it either way because everything in it can work for the dream or reality explanation. It's really well put together... unlike the laughable remake.
Yeah. Since Cohagen is the boss of Rekall, he just could have adopted the memory of Houser for a Ego-Trip. Its a fucking insane story, so why not?

This all makes me appreciate this movie even more.

Why lobotomy? He got everything promised. Seems like a successful memory implant to me.
But in the beginning, the lobotomy was established as a accident, that can happen

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The DVD commentary with Paul Verhoeven and Arnold Schwarzenegger confirmed it was a dream (I can't remember if the commentary track carried over to the Blu-ray releases). That kind of sucks because I wanted it to be real, but it makes more sense as a dream. I'm not sure about the lobotomy part others posted above. That seems kind of dark.

wasnt verhoeven wishy washy on the ending because he wanted to keep the door open for a sequel?

LakeEarth

Why lobotomy? He got everything promised. Seems like a successful memory implant to me.

This is a good point. Even if you believe it is just a dream, there's nothing forcing you to believe the doctor that he's currently having a psychotic episode. We don't really know how elaborate these memory implants can get.

Wasn't there an error with the machine implanting the memory? Could be he got the memory implant he wanted, but in the process his brain got fried.

They establish that people have been lobotomized during the memory implantation. But him going nuts on the chair, the doctor telling him he's still in Rekall, all could just be part of the dream's "plot".

Someone earlier mentioned the "fade to white" at the end means he was lobotomized, but it could very easily represent him waking up normally.

ElFly

No, it was all real

also, we almost get total recall 2: minority report

Of course, as many of you are aware, the first plan for ‘Total Recall 2’ was to adapt Dick’s “The Minority Report” as a follow-up with Quaid/Hauser now working for the newly established “PreCrime” police division. And eventually he has to go on the run again, because the precognitive mutants from Mars who can foresee murders have a vision that he will kill a man, which turns out to be a set up. The script for that idea was eventually turned back into a straight adaptation of the short story and made into a movie by Steven Spielberg.

What do you mean?

There's a scene when he "wakes up" at Total Recall, going nuts, and says, "You blew my cover! I am not Quaid!" and then they inject a shit load of tranquilizer in him. If it was a dream, the very next scene should be him waking up, not a conversation when he's completely out cold.

If it was all real, it doesn't really explain how it came to be that Quaid was on earth working as a construction worker living the simple life.

Drazgul

There's a scene when he "wakes up" at Total Recall, going nuts, and says, "You blew my cover! I am not Quaid!" and then they inject a shit load of tranquilizer in him. If it was a dream, the very next scene should be him waking up, not a conversation when he's completely out cold.

The Shadow knows.

Top Bottom