• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Evilore

That's one thing I was curious about too.. I very rarely see any mods interacting with us peons except for Evilore and occasionally Dgrayson
I prefer it that way, tbh.

Some mods, pre-rift, got way too close to the community and ended up letting that 'celebrity' status go to their heads.

Posters would then rile up threads, shit-post and troll, just to envoke the coming of black-jesus, followed by pathetic Sam Jackson gifs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Remaining anonymous, I'll confirm that devs in many west coast studios still frequent here and ham it up. Some of us have taken a lesser role in the industry after 20 yrs, but still give love and reminisce about the days of prime E3, GAF and the laughing gif :lol.

Anyone else attend the 2001 Xbox party at Palladium with Third Eye Blind, Blink 182, Chemical Brothers and the mosh pit? Those naked dancers in showers... Why can't we have more nice things?
Hey if you wanted more naked showers with buttrock, all you needed to do was ask baby.

Ownage

If any E3 booth dares to have booth babes anymore, Kotaku will cancel the company that did it and Reeeee will follow right along..
They sadly made many volunteering and paid Los Angeles models unemployed. What a great opportunity for them to network with the industry, right?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I prefer it that way, tbh.

Some mods, pre-rift, got way too close to the community and ended up letting that 'celebrity' status go to their heads.

Posters would then rile up threads, shit-post and troll, just to envoke the coming of black-jesus, followed by pathetic Sam Jackson gifs.

giphy.gif

bitbydeath

I am consistently amazed by your ability to not curl up into a ball and quit EviLore EviLore . Shit, it's what I expected. Makes my depression over other things seem laughable.

I also want to say I never would have joined under the old GAF, even well before the exodus. The moderation now has improved to the point that this is the best forum I've seen in terms of free discussion (without becoming a complete shithole). What you all are doing is working.

The exodus was rough, but I kept regularly lurking here because the whole situation came off as ridiculous. The biggest disappointment was in how many posters actually left, I honestly figured only 30-50% would leave. So glad I never fully bought into Era.

My biggest question is just how you managed to push forward? Did you have anyone (or multiple somebodies) that really helped support you? Did you ever think about ending the site, and if so what convinced you not to?

I left as well temporarily as it was the promise of a better forum that was supposed to not be so extreme in politics and it seemed okay in the beginning. But it didn’t last long.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
How did GAF go from resetera-like (extreme left, not allowing other opinions) to such a free forum? With the same owner?

I took a more hands-on approach after the 2017 drama to steer things back to sanity and repair the forum culture, and I'm a moderate. The activist ex-mods all ditched the site at once when I got smeared. Afterwards when I did a bunch of digging with the Ban Justice Project, I found some gross abuses of power by several of them that contributed greatly to the loss of moderate, reasonable voices on the boards, which sent us into a downward spiral and set up the whole disaster.

Yeah GAF at the moment feels more like classic GAF compared to whatever it was around 2016. Era inherited all the shit.

My questions to Evilore are:
1. How do you intend to stop what happened before from happening again ?
2. Do you regret not implementing GAF GOLD sooner, I assume it would have done very well even before the split - which would sort out any revenue issues. Or maybe it would give the toxic community another bullshit reason to do whatever they wish.

I appreciate everything you have done for this community so far, especially after the trying times of the split. Hopefully we are seeing the results of genuine thought vs outrage culture.

1) We're on a modern platform now, so everyone can be held properly accountable for their actions. I also carefully selected the new team, and they're very level headed and stable, not self-righteous activists. We also have transparency with a public ban page, and a healthy open discourse and rapport between myself and the users. Despite all the extra checks and balances now, we don't really need the checks and balances since the new mods are trustworthy and fair, and take their relationship with the users seriously.

2) My original plan for GAF Gold was public, and lifted wholesale for ResetEra Clear (just like everything else over there). That plan was taking into account the toxic forum culture that hated capitalism and social hierarchies. :messenger_grinning_sweat: We don't need to go that route anymore since the culture here is chill again. Regardless, I couldn't implement Gold on vb3, and we were waiting until the big migration to Xenforo (which was scheduled for the same week that the drama happened and Reset was formed, probably not coincidentally). It is what it is and I'm happy with how our superior GAF Gold turned out.

As a non-business owning, grifting, forum-turd, I think it's time Neogaf set it's sights higher than REE.

Once upon a time, the internet was filled with gaming forums; N4G, Teamxbox, IGN, to name but a few. Yet, Neogaf was number 1, during a time when gaming hadn't reached the audiences it had today, during a time when the thought of having the internet on a phone was a Star-Trek nerds' fantasy.

In contrast, today, we have more gamers, more people and the internet and...less gaming forums.

I wouldn't be far off the mark to say that Neogaf, is the only gaming forum on the internet. Reddit is a shilled, ad-riddled, market-controlled shit hole, with respect to gaming, and Ree is...well, a laughably poor forum.

Let's make Neogaf great again.

2) My original plan for GAF Gold was public, and lifted wholesale for ResetEra Clear (just like everything else over there).
This part. This and everything that was done... It takes a very cool and logical head to prevail. A lot of people wouldn't recover from what you went through.

I'm sure it gave you second thoughts (or maybe not) on the whole thing. It's not easy to watch those who you helped build up steal while you watch.

As a long time lurker, thanks.

Reon

I took a more hands-on approach after the 2017 drama to steer things back to sanity and repair the forum culture, and I'm a moderate. The activist ex-mods all ditched the site at once when I got smeared. Afterwards when I did a bunch of digging with the Ban Justice Project, I found some gross abuses of power by several of them that contributed greatly to the loss of moderate, reasonable voices on the boards, which sent us into a downward spiral and set up the whole disaster.

1) We're on a modern platform now, so everyone can be held properly accountable for their actions. I also carefully selected the new team, and they're very level headed and stable, not self-righteous activists. We also have transparency with a public ban page, and a healthy open discourse and rapport between myself and the users. Despite all the extra checks and balances now, we don't really need the checks and balances since the new mods are trustworthy and fair, and take their relationship with the users seriously.

2) My original plan for GAF Gold was public, and lifted wholesale for ResetEra Clear (just like everything else over there). That plan was taking into account the toxic forum culture that hated capitalism and social hierarchies. :messenger_grinning_sweat: We don't need to go that route anymore since the culture here is chill again. Regardless, I couldn't implement Gold on vb3, and we were waiting until the big migration to Xenforo (which was scheduled for the same week that the drama happened and Reset was formed, probably not coincidentally). It is what it is and I'm happy with how our superior GAF Gold turned out.
I was a legacy GAF member since like 2013 and watched it degrade into what it was back in 2016-17, it got pretty bad pretty quickly. I'd never been warned or banned for anything until around 2017 then after having three accounts (my original one and then two junior accounts) permabanned in one year for absolute nonsense I called it quits on this place. Coming back this year though was like night and day, it's like old school NeoGAF all over again. You should be proud of what you've done, successfully turning the forum culture around like this.

It's funny comparing your efforts against those from somebody like Lowtax, the webhost of SomethingAwful. SomethingAwful got hit with the same kind of extremism that NeoGAF was plagued with a few years ago and Lowtax just kind of let that fester indefinitely, now look at his site. It's a miserable disaster and all of the members hate each other.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was a legacy GAF member since like 2013 and watched it degrade into what it was back in 2016-17, it got pretty bad pretty quickly. I'd never been warned or banned for anything until around 2017 then after having three accounts (my original one and then two junior accounts) permabanned in one year for absolute nonsense I called it quits on this place. Coming back this year though was like night and day, it's like old school NeoGAF all over again. You should be proud of what you've done, successfully turning the forum culture around like this.

It's funny comparing your efforts against those from somebody like Lowtax, the webhost of SomethingAwful. SomethingAwful got hit with the same kind of extremism that NeoGAF was plagued with a few years ago and Lowtax just kind of let that fester indefinitely, now look at his site. It's a miserable disaster and all of the members hate each other.

Thanks, and sorry about the nonsense you experienced back in 2016-2017. Things got really out of hand really quickly, yeah. If you'd like to get your original account back, or merged into your new one so that you have a consolidated post history, btw, let me know and I'll sort you out.

Stouffers

Banned
First, you have to shake the stigma of posting here. Somehow, Resetera has made the Alt-right/Nazi label stick

I had a somewhat similar experience.

Corrik

Any headway in any of the game industry interacting with us? AMAs or making accounts to discuss gaming or etc? Or is this just a if it happens it happens, but not something you can really bring about sort of thing?

Vorg

Banned
First, you have to shake the stigma of posting here. Somehow, Resetera has made the Alt-right/Nazi label stick

It wasn't reset era. A lot of hateful shit was posted here at the time right after the exodus and the place was basically unmoderated. That label got associated with neogaf because that's the kind of thing you saw posted here every day.

Papa

Banned
It wasn't reset era. A lot of hateful shit was posted here at the time right after the exodus and the place was basically unmoderated. That label got associated with neogaf because that's the kind of thing you saw posted here every day.

Post evidence or fuck off. I’ve been here the whole time and can unequivocally say that the only “hateful shit” was posted by the spineless cunts knocking the magazine racks over on their way out.

Vorg

Banned
Post evidence or fuck off. I’ve been here the whole time and can unequivocally say that the only “hateful shit” was posted by the spineless cunts knocking the magazine racks over on their way out.

Looks like I touched a nerve.

Herr Edgy

lol

I like this thread. That being said, I just read up on the drama back then because I wasn't here at the time and I did read something something sexual abuse and something something child abuse about GAF on ResetEra. Of course I knew that what they say can't be taken for truth, but they don't tend to just invent things, rather, they twist things, so upon reading this thread I decided to google what happened back then.

From what I gathered, EviLore may or may not have done something that can be considered inappropriate (going naked into the shower to that women with a boyfriend that was puking, primarily), but even if true, I didn't gather anything evil or downright despicable. People do stupid shit at times they don't mean, or they meant it but their views changed, or they thought they meant it based on their perception, which turned out to be a misunderstanding, or heck, they don't even understand themselves and only later realize their own attitude and feelings, making them reflect and change... I don't get why so many people think that every action, every word that someone has ever done or said, is an expression of 'hidden, immutable, intentive nature' of a person.

Of course the things we do and say reflect on us, even if it's just 'a joke', but to say that the perceived intent is equal to the actual intent is naive at best. It assumes that everyone sees the world from the same point of view, which is just plain wrong. I'm particularly allergic to smear campaigns because I was smeared once, too, because the worst part is that no one will ever know the truth except the people involved. EviLore could be lying, he may not; frankly, I don't care, as redemption, tolerance and change are part of my beliefs. The same goes for the crazy people at ResetEra. If they lose the crazies, they are all good in my eyes. Right now, he does a damn good job at keeping this forum intact, so as far as those actions go, I have to say that he strikes me as a much more sympathetic guy than the outrage culture that infests Era.

Vorg

Banned
You know Matt,
You have no case, cunt. You said that the Nazi/alt-right label was deserved because hateful shit was being posted here after the split. Post your evidence or fuck off you spineless worm.

The fact that posts like yours will go unmoderated is my case, bud. Now, this will be my last reply because I don't care to soil myself and stoop to your level of discourse.

I'll just add that saying that it was Resetera that gave gaf the Alt-right label is ridiculous. And like you, I've also been here the whole time.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
You know Matt,

The fact that posts like yours will go unmoderated is my case, bud. Now, this will be my last reply because I don't care to soil myself and stoop to your level of discourse.

I'll just add that saying that it was Resetera that gave gaf the Alt-right label is ridiculous. And like you, I've also been here the whole time.

Yes mate, me calling you a cunt is evidence that GAF is an alt-right Nazi forum. Or could it just be that you’re a cunt? You lied about hateful alt-right nazi shit being posted here after the split and now you’re trying to deflect because you’ve been called on it. If you were to do that in real life, it would be slander.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Yes mate, me calling you a cunt is evidence that GAF is an alt-right Nazi forum. Or could it just be that you’re a cunt? You lied about hateful alt-right nazi shit being posted here after the split and now you’re trying to deflect because you’ve been called on it. If you were to do that in real life, it would be slander.

Thats how we do it these days though. If someone says something we don't like, we want that person to be silenced. Your posts seem unnecessarily angry, but that's your right isn't it?!

Herr Edgy

Could you chill a bit please and maybe consider that he might not be lying, just his definition of "hateful shit" is a bit less forgiving than yours?

I mean, both you and me know that there are no literal Nazis on here (and if there are, they don't represent the userbase), but it's certainly true that people on here generally associate with things that ResetEra among others associate with alt right stuff, such as being skeptical of Zoe Quinn, being annoyed with SJW agendas etc.
We consider that being moderate, others consider it alt right.

In that sense, yes, GAF is responsible for being labelled alt right in some places. So why flip?

Papa

Banned
Re-read the post he originally responded to for full context (quoted below). Vorg is saying that the alt-right/nazi label is deserved because “that’s the kind of thing you saw posted here every day”. That is a bald-faced lie, and he’s now attempting to conflate me calling him a cunt (which he is) with alt-right/nazi propaganda by lumping them both under the “hateful” umbrella. Like I said, no quarter for liars.

Herr Edgy

Re-read the post he originally responded to for full context (quoted below). Vorg is saying that the alt-right/nazi label is deserved because “that’s the kind of thing you saw posted here every day”. That is a bald-faced lie, and he’s now attempting to conflate me calling him a cunt (which he is) with alt-right/nazi propaganda by lumping them both under the “hateful” umbrella. Like I said, no quarter for liars.
I guess what he wrote is somewhat inflammatory to people that believe otherwise, that is true. Can't comment as I wasn't there. What I do know is that some people nowadays equate GAF's moderate-conservative views with being alt right, so in that sense, I can definitely imagine that being the case back then too.

Papa

Banned
I guess what he wrote is somewhat inflammatory to people that believe otherwise, that is true. Can't comment as I wasn't there. What I do know is that some people nowadays equate GAF's moderate-conservative views with being alt right, so in that sense, I can definitely imagine that being the case back then too.

“to people that believe otherwise”

Are we playing the personal truth game? I was here the whole time. He lied. We were never infested with alt-right/nazis posting hateful shit every day, and what he said is tantamount to slander.

Herr Edgy

“to people that believe otherwise”

Are we playing the personal truth game? I was here the whole time. He lied. We were never infested with alt-right/nazis posting hateful shit every day, and what he said is tantamount to slander.
We are playing the "I wasn't there so I don't know" game.
I don't take a side, neither yours nor his.

Barsinister

Banned
Alt-right....alt-right....

Nope. I always thought of it like that short story where people were on the planet that rained all the time. Then for a brief moment, the sun came out and everybody went out and played in the daylight. Only the sun never stopped shining here.

EDIT
All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
You know Matt,

So being brash and using foul language is the same as alt-right/nazi? I'm fucking Hitler then.

So being brash and using foul language is the same as alt-right/nazi? I'm fucking Hitler then.

We all are. One of the very few bright sides of living in such a hysterical time is that you know you'll eventually be labeled as a nazi, so it carries no weight. 10-20 years ago being called a nazi was a serious accusation, nowadays it probably means you made someone angry.

lol

I like this thread. That being said, I just read up on the drama back then because I wasn't here at the time and I did read something something sexual abuse and something something child abuse about GAF on ResetEra. Of course I knew that what they say can't be taken for truth, but they don't tend to just invent things, rather, they twist things, so upon reading this thread I decided to google what happened back then.

From what I gathered, EviLore may or may not have done something that can be considered inappropriate (going naked into the shower to that women with a boyfriend that was puking, primarily), but even if true, I didn't gather anything evil or downright despicable. People do stupid shit at times they don't mean, or they meant it but their views changed, or they thought they meant it based on their perception, which turned out to be a misunderstanding, or heck, they don't even understand themselves and only later realize their own attitude and feelings, making them reflect and change... I don't get why so many people think that every action, every word that someone has ever done or said, is an expression of 'hidden, immutable, intentive nature' of a person.

Of course the things we do and say reflect on us, even if it's just 'a joke', but to say that the perceived intent is equal to the actual intent is naive at best. It assumes that everyone sees the world from the same point of view, which is just plain wrong. I'm particularly allergic to smear campaigns because I was smeared once, too, because the worst part is that no one will ever know the truth except the people involved. EviLore could be lying, he may not; frankly, I don't care, as redemption, tolerance and change are part of my beliefs. The same goes for the crazy people at ResetEra. If they lose the crazies, they are all good in my eyes. Right now, he does a damn good job at keeping this forum intact, so as far as those actions go, I have to say that he strikes me as a much more sympathetic guy than the outrage culture that infests Era.

There are lots of shit that Evilore did in the past that is and was well documented. Most of it awkward and cringey shit. Though, the shit I did when I was younger was 100 times cringier, I was lucky not to have it posted all over the net. I can honestly say that I wasn't a fan of Evilore before or during the split. I didn't like how he came across or presented himself to the community.

Now though? He's a different bloke. Which is one of the reasons I made this thread. He was offered crazy money for a forum he 'lucked' in to at a young age and had to figure out how to deal with that, himself growing as a person and an increase in internet fame before the likes of Twitter and internet celebs.. Then, he saw it all fall from grace and have what he had built, ruined and turned to ashes. Yet, he didn't quit, he carried on and got this place back to how it was, if not better. It will take time to get the traffic back, to get back to where he/the forum was 10 years ago and that's fine, the trajectory is positive.

If Evilore can go through all of that, pick himself up and crawl, Dufrain-style, through his own 500 yards of shit and come out smelling of roses the other side, then anyone can.

The book idea, I believe, should be the story of him, written around the structure of a self-help book. Think Tony Robbins/Neil Strauss. I love a good redemption story and seems as I've spent so long on this forum over the years, it would be nice to read about it, from the horses' mouth.

I'm just a random turd on the internet, but I have a lot of respect for you Tyler. No homo.

MacReady13

I had a somewhat similar experience.

I had an interaction with the great David Jaffe on twitter, and he seemed to believe, a while ago, that NeoGAF was full of alt righters as well. I told him that was false.

Top Bottom