• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So GAF what's your work schedule look like?

And how's it working out for you?

Im working a four on, four off shift pattern now. I've never worked this way before but I'm liking it. I work four straight 11 hour days, a 10:00 -21:00 shift, then have the next 4 days off. During the shifts I get a 45 minute lunch break and three 20 minute breaks. This is pretty great for me because I'm a person who finds getting up and getting to work the hardest part of the day, once I'm there I'm there, the length of the shift doesn't bother me. I also only have to use 4 days worth of holiday/vacation time to get 12 straight days off too if I book them right. I do work a lot more weekends than I would have liked to 10 years ago though, but my mid thirties self is not arsed about that anymore. It's an office based job as well so not exactly strenuous.

I'm really liking it so far, it's my first time working anything outside of the traditional Monday to Friday 9-5. Get loads done on my days off and spend loads of time with my kids. I can be in a pretty grim mood the night before my four on start though I won't lie!

Was just wondering what work looks like for you all. I bet there are some who work every hour god sends, some who work nights (I couldn't do that) some who are their own boss, and some who have a flexible schedule. Let me know if you can be bothered, and how it's working out for you too. :)

I used to work 3rd shift M-F, but now I just work 2-11pm in retail 5 days a week. I love it when I get weekdays off. My schedule can be a bit fatiguing even though I have just 3 classes.

But I'm coasting now compared to prior years.

I typically work the TV show fiction known as the 9-5 typically. Always get Sunday off. I get every other Saturday off (and when I don't get Saturday, I take Friday).

Two days per week, I have to step in and cover for my co-workers. That's a 6-AM-2PM and a 1PM-10PM.

Recently turned down a promotion because it would be permanent 2nd shift. Nope. I have a family.

I work M,T Th,Fri with administrative clinical time on W. 8-5. I have some flexibility and can shift my time around, which I almost never do because having Wednesdays off is pretty incredible.

I usually don't use administrative time, so it ends up being a day off. It's pretty nice, although it makes time go scarily fast, and frankly I don't understand how people work M-F 8 hour shifts. I thought about moonlighting at another clinic on Wednesdays, however I really value my time go hiking, skiing, or biking. I realize I earned that ability to be fortunate in that regard that I don't have to.

I think that our work week needs to change for people's health. M-F should be 8-3 if we actually want to reduce the obesity epidemic.

Last edited:

matt360

I usually work Monday-Saturday from 7:45am until anywhere between 5:30 to 8:00pm, depending on how busy we are. Every other Saturday is also off. The hours can feel long, but I like my job so I'm happy with my situation. I also live about 15 minutes away from my work by bicycle.

Sakura

16:00 to 23:00 weekdays. 9:00 to 23:00 weekends and holidays. I typically have one or two weekdays off.
30 minute break on weekday shifts, two 30 minute breaks on weekends.
It wouldn't be too bad if I only had work, but I also go to school full time so it is pretty tiring.

Last edited:

takriel

Doctoral student here, I typically work from 10-6 in the office (not counting the ~3.5 hours of commuting).

DiscoJer

I work retail, seemingly random days (but always Sunday) anywhere from 3 to 5 days a week, 2 pm to 11 pm. I really start dragging at 10 pm, but I do a lot of physical stuff for about half the shift (unload the truck most notably)

But it's nice I don't have to worry about going to sleep, even if I stay up to 5 I get enough sleep.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Currently working my full-time job Monday-Friday 7:15am-3:45pm. I also sometimes work Saturday 7:15am-12pm, like once every 3 weeks. My pay rate is $21.50 per hour.
Then I have my part time job. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I work 5pm-9pm. Some variations based on outside factors but that's my normal schedule. My pay rate there is $11.25 per hour.

Soon my full time job will go back to normal hours, so I'll be working 7:15am-5pm there and 5:30pm-9:30 pm at my second job. Much better schedule IMO. I'll be making overtime at the main job and having such a big gap between jobs now really sucks.

Honestly, it's not working out great for me mentally, physically, or emotionally. Slowly killing me. But I'm doing it to support my family and hopefully I can quit the second job by the end of this year. I'm married to woman who gets paid the exact same rate and hours that I do currently, but she doesn't work a second job. She's pregnant and I'll have my first child this July.

We've been struggling with the bills for about a year now and I'm really falling behind on my mortgage, and now with a kid on the way it can only get worse. That's why I started the second job about a month ago. I really wish I could find a way to use my time more effectively and not at some shitty minimum wage job. I'd love to do something from home and make even more money per hour. Oh well...

Last edited:

Ragnaroz

Part of my workday is fixed. Everyone needs to be at the office from 10am to 4pm. Two remaining hours, we are free to schedule however we want, so some people work 8am-4pm, others 10am-6pm and most are somewhere in between.

VAL0R

Banned
I have an amazing 6am-6pm "4-3" schedule. I work (every other Wed), Thur, Fri, Sat. My off days are Sun, Mon, Tues (every other Wednesday).

VAL0R

Banned
What's great about the 4-3 as opposed to the 4-4 is:

1) I always have the same schedule every week. This is so much better for consistency and planning. I don't have to look on a calendar if I'm working 2 Fridays from now. I know I am.
2) I can schedule a vacation on my 3 day week, using only 36 vacation hours to get 11 consecutive days off. With 4-4 you have to use 48 hours for 12 days.
3) My checks are always exactly the same (unless I work additional OT obviously). With 4-4 you switch between big checks and small checks.

I don't know why more places don't do the 4-3 instead of the 4-4, swapping Wednesdays. Yes, you always work one week end day, but with the 4-4 you sometimes work both, sometimes get one off and sometimes get both off. At the end of the day you don't get any more weekend days off with a 4-4.

lil puff

Part of my workday is fixed. Everyone needs to be at the office from 10am to 4pm. Two remaining hours, we are free to schedule however we want, so some people work 8am-4pm, others 10am-6pm and most are somewhere in between.
Similar, but we have one hour tacked on, so I do 8-5. Most people do 10-7. The 10AM and rush hour evening trains are just too much for me.

I wish I had OPs schedule - I am same, I do not like to get out of bed everyday, but once I am at work, I can pretty much go all day. I also would enjoy the 'quiet' time before everyone gets there and after they leave.

Ideally I would like to get to a work from home situation, but that's not gonna happen right now, unless I personally bought the software that we have to use.

grumpyGamer

I work from 10 to 13.00 ------14.30 to 19.00
Having Sundays and Mondays free unless some client specifically asks to be tattooed on those days

Well, I work two jobs. My main job is at a factory, where I work 3rd shift 10 P.M.-6 A.M. My other job is janitor work, 6 P.M.-8 P.M. normally except Saturdays where I stay over (the custodial company works at my factory, although I mainly work in the office building for my custodial work) and work from 6 A.M.-9 or 10 A.M. I get Monday and Tuesday off at my factory job, and Friday and Sunday off at my janitor job. However, my supervisor is going to try to get me Sundays and Mondays off at the factory job so I have one full day off from both jobs. The janitorial work may only be a couple of hours, but it still wears on you when you don't have a day off after so long. I've only been doing the janitor job for a month, and I'm starting to get burned out quick. Friday was my first full day off in a month, and I was lucky enough to get Sunday fully off as well.

Oh, and sometimes we work 10 or 12 hour shifts at the factory (like the monthly two day shutdowns or if an audit is coming up), which I love because overtime is great.

Osukaa

Mon - Friday 9-5. It would be great but the pay is meh and it's about a 15 mile drive to work driving from around LA to Garden Grove and I'm close to Disneyland so the traffic gets really bad at times lol.... I need to find a closer job or move to OC lol.

Droxcy

Monday to Friday 6 AM to 3 PM. 5 minute drive to work, I'm in the industrial engineering field so good pay and overtime when needed.

Corrik

Rotating 6-2 2-10 10-6 with forced doubles. Plus I get my schedule switched randomly a lot at the last moment.

Corrik

60/65 hours of work 3100 after taxes every two weeks,

24/7 dad it’s legit a job, and I’m damn good at it lol....eh kinda
Where do you work at or what kind of work do you do? I need to increase my income somehow... = /

I make like $1450 every 2 weeks after taxes at 40 hours. If I work 64 hours a week... I would make like $2650 every 2 weeks.

rykomatsu

6:30am to 4-6pm depending on work load and meetings. Occasional late night meetings with India.

Can't complain, solid 6 figures and love my career. Downside is cost of living, but have it better than most of my colleagues since I bought a house at literally the bottom of the market (3bd 2ba single family home in San Jose for <$275k)

Orpheum

Pretty Standard

I usually start in between 7:45 and 8:00 am, depending on traffic and how well i get out of bed. I usually end the day by 5pm but depending on workload i have to stay longer, usually until 6pm then. Overtime sucks here though because we don't get compensation. Sometimes you just have to stay longer because a task needs to be finished. However the overall work environment is great so i don't complain.

Fbh

Arrive at 8:30 and go at 18:45.
Occasionally I'll come at 12 or leave at 16:00 (when I have overtime)

It's retail so my free days are uneven and almost never together. It's pretty shitty to make plans because most people aren't free during the week.

Also, the mix of having to be standing the whole day and deal with mostly annoying or rude customers and the fact I hate my job mean that I'm mostly tired by the time I get home and don't really have the energy to do much.

I have plans to work in something completely different in a few months and while I don't think the hours will be better it's at least going to be something I enjoy so I think it will make a big difference

lil puff

Pretty Standard

I usually start in between 7:45 and 8:00 am, depending on traffic and how well i get out of bed. I usually end the day by 5pm but depending on workload i have to stay longer, usually until 6pm then. Overtime sucks here though because we don't get compensation. Sometimes you just have to stay longer because a task needs to be finished. However the overall work environment is great so i don't complain.
A great work environment makes any hours/schedule worth it. I would give up a % of my salary for that, if I could.

lachesis

11a-7p mostly, but sometimes 11a till whenever.

Since I drive into NYC every day, 11a is actually beneficial. Off peak hour traffic and GWB tolls + I get the extra discount of driving PHEV. (parking used to be cheap for corp benefit - but not that much these days) - about 45 min - 1 hr 15 min door to door depending on the traffic level. But 11a-7p, really is little awkward. Not late enough to really enjoy the morning, and when I get home - it's about 8pm. Have a little dinner and clean up - it's almost 10pm. little house chores and all, it easily goes over midnight.

Since living alone, it was easy to fall into the trap of staying up too late - 3-4am - and sleep till 9-10am... but I was feeling the down side. So I decided to go to bed early around 11p, and wake up around 6am, and work out. Missing a couple hours of off-work entertainment, but I do feel better and more energized.

lil puff

11a-7p mostly, but sometimes 11a till whenever.

Since I drive into NYC every day, 11a is actually beneficial. Off peak hour traffic and GWB tolls + I get the extra discount of driving PHEV. (parking used to be cheap for corp benefit - but not that much these days) - about 45 min - 1 hr 15 min door to door depending on the traffic level. But 11a-7p, really is little awkward. Not late enough to really enjoy the morning, and when I get home - it's about 8pm. Have a little dinner and clean up - it's almost 10pm. little house chores and all, it easily goes over midnight.

Since living alone, it was easy to fall into the trap of staying up too late - 3-4am - and sleep till 9-10am... but I was feeling the down side. So I decided to go to bed early around 11p, and wake up around 6am, and work out. Missing a couple hours of off-work entertainment, but I do feel better and more energized.
It looks like your hours may bypass that "Congestion Pricing" scheme! I hear ya on the (lack of) off-work Me time. The work week can become a rinse/repeat blur and feels life is just passing by. Definitely make the best of the few free hours that you get.

Orpheum

A great work environment makes any hours/schedule worth it. I would give up a % of my salary for that, if I could.

Yes it has become extremely important ever since my first job. The toxic environment there got me seriously depressed. With my current job it's a nice mixture of interesting work, self-responsibilities and great co-workers. I don't make as much as some others in the field but i don't mind. I get along just fine and i don't dread getting up in the morning^^ maybe i'll switch jobs in a couple of years but i'll be extremely picky then, it all has to fit...i have a permanent contract so no stress

Trogdor1123

730 - 430 usually. Every second Tuesday till around 10 pm. Occasionally phone calls emails or texts on weekends. I get every third Friday off. Pretty slack compared to my old job.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Leave around 6:45 and get to work around 7:25 am. Leave for home around 6 pm and get home around 6:50. Long days, but there is a lot to do. I'm not hourly, so no overtime.

Frozen Bagel

Neo Member
M-F 600-1400, though it's only temporary until the on-job training is complete, then I switch over to 1400-2200 schedule. The job also mandates overtime during the weekends but that depends who's on the rotation and whether the floor is behind in quotas.

Fnord

Without a doubt it's probably nothing like yours. Thankfully I'm not hourly.

Wait... You're working 55 hours a week. If you were hourly, wouldn't you be making more? 40 hours at the hourly rate and 15 hours at time and a half. Seems to me that your employer is taking advantage of your salaried position.

Blam

Wait... You're working 55 hours a week. If you were hourly, wouldn't you be making more? 40 hours at the hourly rate and 15 hours at time and a half. Seems to me that your employer is taking advantage of your salaried position.

Oh well no we all have 1 hour lunches with 2 breaks of 20 minutes so it's sorta okay. I also fucked up the timeline I get out of the house at 8 get to work by 9 leave at 6 home by 7.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
9:30-6:00 mon - thur

friday off

saturday 7:00-3:30

sunday off

I'm not crazy about it because of the traffic I hit mon-thur but it's not that bad.

lachesis

It looks like your hours may bypass that "Congestion Pricing" scheme! I hear ya on the (lack of) off-work Me time. The work week can become a rinse/repeat blur and feels life is just passing by. Definitely make the best of the few free hours that you get.

I certainly hope so. Also since I work in upper west side (66th st) - I am hoping that I would be able to avoid proposed 59st and south toll. I tell ya, that all the prices just keep going up. Tolls, subway, buses, etc etc... At one point, I parked my car in Fort Lee NJ, and took my bike to go across the GWB, and follow down to 66th st every day via west side bike path... but realized it was soooo cold during winter times.. (and took me almost 1.5-2 hours door to door) Was having fun doing that for a few months, but after that.. it became a chore.. and had a few flat tires a few times... which wasn't any fun. Since I drive in - I guess I pay about a few dollars more.. but I save at least 1-2 hours per day, which is a lot for my schedule.

Heck, I just browsed a few threads here and its already past midnight - time to hit the sack.. LOL... I've gotten used to my schedule now, and now the weekdays are strictly for business. I don't go out on weeknights at all these days. Too unpredictable to boot, even on Friday nights. (Execs like throw stuff when they are about to walk out on Friday afternoon for the weekend, expecting them to be done by Monday morning.. sigh) - but I'm making pretty decent wage, so I guess that's the trade-off.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Roughly 0:00-24:00, minus gym time and whenever sleeping functions like it's supposed to, which is hit and miss. Some concerts and parties in there on the weekends but too busy for those recently, and a handful of PubG/Fortnite evenings to stay in touch with long distance comrades when time allows us. Business consulting and mentoring responsibilities I make time for. Lots of multitasking w/ podcasts and such when I'm working on NeoGAF.

My other projects are mostly on hold or dialed way back at the moment while I focus 100% on healing NeoGAF and taking it in a positive direction. 'Tis my baby. That's everything from guiding the wonderful new mod team, setting project goals for the sysadmin and design team, streamlining overhead to keep things sustainable while traffic recovers, reevaluating just about everything conceivable for NeoGAF with an open mind (by drawing from my first-hand experience as well as insight on historic outcomes with other forums and discussing with the team), engaging with the community extensively, guiding discussions personally when appropriate, coordinating my ad ops team to keep the site free and functional despite ~80% adblock rates at the moment (welp!), developing new initiatives like the Giveaway system and impending Contributor and Streamer integrations (and Indie gaming exposure project to follow that; see Gaming sticky thread for details).

I set daily focuses flexibly as they come up, and identify larger scope projects to knock out and put those on a weekly development track. We have some of the most talented people in the biz working behind the scenes, and a functional modern platform finally, so things are Getting Done.

Results so far on fostering a healthier and sustainable environment here have been very positive. NeoGAF traffic has doubled in the last 30 days, posts per day are way up and most of the new registrations are contributing positively as per the intended environment, most of the XF migration bugs have been sorted out, we've successfully pushed several new custom features already, and there is more diverse discussion taking place with less banning required than at just about any point in the site's history.

Overwork burnout/expiration/whatever for me projected within, oh, 45-60 days or so. I'll switch to remote work somewhere more relaxing and dial down the hours, maybe do a combat sports training camp for a month or a hiking trip (with concessions to web access) to restore life balance...once some more critical issues have been cleared from the whiteboard and the team has settled into a comfortable groove.

llien

Roughly 0:00-24:00, minus gym time and whenever sleeping functions like it's supposed to, which is hit and miss..

giphy.gif

-Minsc-

Let's see, milking schedule.

Every second Sunday, morning and evening. Try to get to the barn by 6:30am and am out around 10:30-ll:00am once all the stable work is done. Head back to the farm around 3:20pm to bring the cows in and am typically done between 6:45-7:00pm.

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday morning milkings: About 6:30 to 9:30-10:30. Typically 11:00-12:30 is stable chores.

Non milking mornings I try to head for the stable chores around 9:30-10:00 and have lunch around noon.

Weekday evening milking and chores, same as Sunday.

Saturdays are the same as a weekday except every third Saturday morning I'm off milking.

If I don't piss my off farm time away on the computer I can do things such as spending a couple hours to seek out some deadwood, cut it up and put it in so I can heat my house.

If I get super organized it would be nice to rig up some sort of solar system on my house.

It was definitely simpler on the head when I worked as a plumber show up 7:30-4:00 for work and do the assigned tasks. Planning out my day has never been my strong point, though I'm attempting to get better. KInda have no choice if I want to get things done. Can't even imagine handling things if I had kids.

rbanke

I'm self employed as an IT service provider and keep opposite hours from my wife (she's a nurse practitioner and works t/w/t) so everyday except Saturday starts with exercise (running or bodyweight fitness) usually 5:45-6am then on Mondays & Fridays I'll check messages and respond to alerts and then go on-site to clients if needed. On Tue/Wed/Thur I make the kids lunches and drop them off at school and come back to my home office and work issues, make calls, proposals, design work, etc until around 12 when I pick my youngest up from school and then blend any remaining work with hanging out with him until picking my oldest up from school at 3:45 and then I make dinner (my job everyday).

Next school year both of my kids will be in school full time which will finally let me work on expanding my business how I'd like which I'm excited for. At that point it will be a more typical 8-5 type of job.

dc3k

mon-fri
get in whenever, usually between 10 and 11
leave 7 or 8 hours later

works out great

Top Bottom