• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So GAF what's your work schedule look like?

Ichabod

Banned
3 twelve hour shifts a week (with OT available pretty much 7 days a week if you want it), 1900-0700. Usually get to work 20-15 mins early to get the lay of the land. Usually leave work by 0730 but that depends on how hard someone was trying to die on me. You do run into those 14+hr shifts from time to time.

office work 8 hours starting from 8 to 9 am and ending 16-17 depending when i arrive in the morning
through i had a lot of overtime work last year so it was closer to 9 hours each day

Normally I'm in from about 7.30 to 4 or 5ish Mon to Fri but because of the nature of the job it can be a way earlier start, way later finish or both. Also on a weekend rota of one on, one off. That'll change around May/June time when my latest protege is signed off to be out on his own.

Roughly 0:00-24:00, minus gym time and whenever sleeping functions like it's supposed to, which is hit and miss. Some concerts and parties in there on the weekends but too busy for those recently, and a handful of PubG/Fortnite evenings to stay in touch with long distance comrades when time allows us. Business consulting and mentoring responsibilities I make time for. Lots of multitasking w/ podcasts and such when I'm working on NeoGAF.

My other projects are mostly on hold or dialed way back at the moment while I focus 100% on healing NeoGAF and taking it in a positive direction. 'Tis my baby. That's everything from guiding the wonderful new mod team, setting project goals for the sysadmin and design team, streamlining overhead to keep things sustainable while traffic recovers, reevaluating just about everything conceivable for NeoGAF with an open mind (by drawing from my first-hand experience as well as insight on historic outcomes with other forums and discussing with the team), engaging with the community extensively, guiding discussions personally when appropriate, coordinating my ad ops team to keep the site free and functional despite ~80% adblock rates at the moment (welp!), developing new initiatives like the Giveaway system and impending Contributor and Streamer integrations (and Indie gaming exposure project to follow that; see Gaming sticky thread for details).

I set daily focuses flexibly as they come up, and identify larger scope projects to knock out and put those on a weekly development track. We have some of the most talented people in the biz working behind the scenes, and a functional modern platform finally, so things are Getting Done.

Results so far on fostering a healthier and sustainable environment here have been very positive. NeoGAF traffic has doubled in the last 30 days, posts per day are way up and most of the new registrations are contributing positively as per the intended environment, most of the XF migration bugs have been sorted out, we've successfully pushed several new custom features already, and there is more diverse discussion taking place with less banning required than at just about any point in the site's history.

Overwork burnout/expiration/whatever for me projected within, oh, 45-60 days or so. I'll switch to remote work somewhere more relaxing and dial down the hours, maybe do a combat sports training camp for a month or a hiking trip (with concessions to web access) to restore life balance...once some more critical issues have been cleared from the whiteboard and the team has settled into a comfortable groove.

You are doing fantastic mate, and I appreciate all the hard work involved.

Makariel

At the moment Monday to Friday 8:15 to 19:30, with more work starting on Sundays from 10:00 if I don't manage to finish everything during the week (which I rarely do). I try to have a break here and there and keep Saturday free to keep a little bit of sanity.

Spheyr

Banned
A few hours every evening doing security work, then up at 4AM on Sat/Sun to be out the door by 5:40, I get home about 7:30 after a long boring day of sitting at a computer in a security office.

I wish today's relief would get bored at home and come relieve me early...

Spheyr

Banned
A few hours every evening doing security work, then up at 4AM on Sat/Sun to be out the door by 5:40, I get home about 7:30 after a long boring day of sitting at a computer in a security office.

I wish today's relief would get bored at home and come relieve me early...
Oh come on seriously? Literally posted that, hit the men's room real quick, came back into my office, and my relief calls, he's sick, nobody will be able to get in to relieve me until 11 instead of 6:30.

Whatever, I like extra cash.

Top Bottom