• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...games with ACTUALLY good endings

Protome

Dead Space 2's ending was so nearly perfect. If it had just cut to credits before Isaac got rescued it would probably be my favourite video game ending. As is its still up there.

There has been memorable moments in

TLoU
Uncharted 2
Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time ( the ending concluded the story really well )

Jak 2 ( oh how the final moments made me go whaaatt!!! )

Opto

Banned
Resident Evil 2 B endings. TWO FINAL BOSSES.

Resident Evil 4. "Story of my life"

Killer 7, DMC3. All Silent Hills 1-3. Limbo. Windwaker. Star Fox 64. Most of Ace Attorney.

Roussow

Dead Space 2's ending was so nearly perfect. If it had just cut to credits before Isaac got rescued it would probably be my favourite video game ending. As is its still up there.

I love the jump-scare fake out when you pan over to Ellie and she just says "what?", perfect callback to the first game, and a reminder of the personality that the second game's characterizations added to the Dead Space formula.

How sad that EA never released any more Dead Space games after 2 -- at least we got a perfect ending to the franchise.

105.Will

Devil May Cry 3
latest

Not exactly the end end, but it just adds to how great the final boss fight is and ending is.

Squishy3

Final Fantasy always has good endings, especially 6, 7 and 8.

Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101 leave you on a high that's pretty much impossible to beat.

Snatcher ends with significant loose ends left hanging, even in the three-chapter version, but is still somehow incredibly satisfying.

RE4's end credits are amazing and surprisingly tragic.

The Wonderful 101
Ghost Trick

Very, very few actually. I haven't finished MGSV yet, so we'll see on that one. MGS2 and 3 both had very good endings.

Okami/den, Tearaway, and The Wonderful 101 also had fantastic endings, as did both No More Heroes games. The vast majority of game endings leave something to be desired though.

ctrl+f wonderful 101, 3 results

OA3gMtv.gif

For all the shit the game got, I actually liked the ending of The Order: 1886.

Not so much narritively, but visually. The way the last few shots were presented stuck with me.

I actually liked the game in general but that's another thing.

McLovin

I love endings that catch me off guard like infamous, bio shock infinite, last of us. Journey was great too, but that was because I lost my buddy who helped me during most of the game. Felt like I had a good friend ripped away from me lol.

_Ryo_

Are you mad? Masochistic? What's wrong with you, man? It just...ends...on a cliffhanger. We suffered over that ending for well over 8 years. That's not a good ending.

It left me wanting the next game while not ruining the game as a whole. How is that not a good ending?

You're mixing up the time between Shenmue 2 and Shenmue 3 as having a bad ending. If Shenmue 3 was released in 2002 on Xbox would your opinion be the same? The intrigue adds to the ending, which is amazing. The waiting is what sucks.

Vibranium

Banned
Deus Ex. Beautiful and totally thrilling.

Invisible War never happened. I'm not against setting another game after the original though, I'd like to see it happen after Mankind Divided.

Bizzquik

Call me crazy, but the ending to the original Dead Rising is pretty amazing.

In its first "ending," it appears that Frank West has won. He got his scoop. He survived this zombie outbreak ordeal and has pictures to back up his story. He's going to tell the world the tale that it needs to hear - that he is consumed with documenting.

But then the one thing he could not control - his pilot picking him up on time for extraction - doesn't work out, as the pilot is bitten by a zombie....and the helicopter crashes. Frank falls to the ground, completely devastated - zombies surround him, ready to kill him. Roll credits.

Having come to invest myself in pursuing Frank's goals, I was furious. But the ending was thematically appropriate. The story was dark, so its finality should be dark, too. I was weirdly happy to be so angry, because Capcom had the courage to stick to a fitting end. I smiled as I shook my head.

But then the game resumed. Frank wasn't giving up out of despair. He fell to the ground because he was actually in the process of succumbing to a zombie infection. But suddenly help arrived to allow him to regroup. And now I had two days to find a cure and get him out of that mall. I got the ending I wanted.

How neat to find an ending that is thematically correct - though emotionally devastating - and have a happy ending later....in the same game.

Jonm1010

Banned
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Great choice!

On my list I'd add:

Last of Us( of course)
The Walking Dead Season 1
Red Dead Redemption
Spec Ops
Bio Shock Infinite
Bioshock Minerva's Den
Portal
MGS1 and 3
Braid
The Stanley Parable
Gone Home

CHC

• Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3
  • Final Fantasy VII (post credit scene especially)
  • Modern Warfare 3 (c'mon, the shot of the cigar light-up in first person... you have to love it)
  • Deus Ex (the "new dark age" especially)
  • The Last of Us
  • AC: Black Flag (sailing through the mist with your daughter... so unexpectedly poignant)
  • SOMA (just came out, very good horror game)
But yes, it is true that the ending of most games are the worst parts. Most aren't bad, simply adequate, and like many I struggle to come up with really really memorable ones when asked.

That... is sort of presumptive that MGS V left "everyone" with a bittersweet feeling. I quite enjoyed the story. To answer the actual question though I'd say Akiba's Trip 2 since it was the last story based thing I played before MGS V.

I've probably said enough on the topic, but suffice it to say, there's really no "sweet" - that ending was just bitter. It was really just an absolutely awful plot, no two ways about it.

Planescape Torment
Earthbound

Last of Us and Shadow of the Colossus easily...and I dont even like The Last of Us, but that ending was awesome

Mother 3.
You kill your twin brother, a giant dragon is unleashed, the world is destroyed, Porky continues to live forever. But everybody is safe. The world is reborn. And you start all over.

I love love love all of the above - and The Last of Us is my all-time favorite game, but I really want to emphasize this:

Ghost_Trick_Phantom_Detective_cover_art.jpg

The ending was so satisfying and while it left me wanting more I am happy in not having a sequel.

YES. YES. One of the best things about Ghost Trick is how 4/5ths in you think "Surely this can't be all explained?" But it is. Everything. And the critical part of the ending (the last "playable" part) strikes a balance between being tragic enough to move you while not being, erm, drastic, without cheapening anything. That it fits the tone of the game of course helps a lot.

Edit: I also really like BioShock Infinite's ending AND Burial at Sea's despite the plotholes present in both.

Edit 2: And fucking Trials and Tribulations. Even more than JFA.

McLovin

I love the jump-scare fake out when you pan over to Ellie and she just says "what?", perfect callback to the first game, and a reminder of the personality that the second game's characterizations added to the Dead Space formula.

How sad that EA never released any more Dead Space games after 2 -- at least we got a perfect ending to the franchise.
There's a dead space 3. But that game was ruined by (I'm guessing here) corporate greed and market testing.
It's better if you pretend there isn't a dead space 3.
Edit- ah I get it;p

GavinUK86

I like how you think.

Fuck the moon's.

All I want is a PC version, or even PS4 one at this point, of Red Dead Redemption. That ending is just perfection.

I'm only on mission 20 in MGSV so I'm not sure why it's getting a load of hate yet.

I disagree, the fake out was possibly the best way to make use of video games as a medium to make the player feel as hopeless as Isaac in that situation.

The station is crumbling all around you, no hope for escape, camera is panning out and you as the player start to see credits roll, making you think it's over and Isaac is fucked, just like how he feels.

Dead Space 2 is probably one of my top 10 favorite games ever, the story was really good and Isaac was a such a good character to follow as well as the entire supporting cast.

Toa TAK

Banned
Halo 3 had a good ending. There was a sense of finality and closure to the trilogy and it felt like everyone could finally take a breath and look forward to a new future. Great stuff.

Jesus Christ, I just wish they had him salute properly. I love MGS3 and it was my first thought for this thread but it bugs the hell out of me that this moment never got me because he doesn't know how to salute!!!!1!!!

JackelZXA

mgs1 had an AWESOME ending, in fact it had 2. In both you get the girl, kill your evil brother, destroy his robot, make good with your rival before he squishes, your old buddy beats up the vice president, otacon becomes a real man now, and you listen to this awesome eskimo song. but when you get to mgs2, the tanker chapter implies snake has the item from the bad ending, and the plant chapter implies snake had the item from the good ending??? Kojima and his endings...

Out of the three original Phoenix Wright games, the ending of Justice For All struck a chord with me.

So many things happened; Maya came back safely, Edgeworth returned as an ally, Franziska departed tearfully and then this:

latest

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They've all been mentioned already but the ones that came to mind.

Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock: Infinite
The Last of Us
Witcher 3
Metal Gear Solid 3

Ninjimbo

Oh man, too many to list.

Chrono Trigger, the real ending anyway, still holds a pretty big spot in my heart. Very nice to see all those characters living normal lives after all the crap that went down.

Twilight Princess has a great ending. One of my favorites actually. That last scene is very well crafted.

Okami's is beautiful stuff. Izzun, after being an annoying prick for two thirds of the game, finally gets a human side to him. Then when all hopes seems lost saves the day in the only way he can. I love it.

Final Fantasy X. Your allies making the ultimate sacrifice. That always works on me.

There's so many games that nail the ending.

Bishop89

mgs series
uncharted 2/3
witcher 3
ciri becomes a witcher ending
modern warfare
modern warfare 2
Resistance 2
God of war 1 - 3
Gears 3
Half Life
infamous