• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so GlaDOS in Pacific Rim is pretty distracting..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Honestly, I think it's pretty cool. Also, a mecha movie! Something I never thought would ever get made. I've been waiting for a Pacific Rim trailer for ages, and I'm glad that it lives up to the hype in my mind.

Midou

∀ Narayan;45373735 said:
Holy shit. That film looks hot! Guillermo del Toro? Idris Elba? MECHA?

Sign me the fuck up.

Exactly my thoughts. This kind of shit does not come about often.

It is a bit 'distracting' I suppose, but it's also cool. I don't mind glados being there.

Hope the spanish dub has also spanish voice of GlaDOS, becuase she did great.
You hear me studio dubbing the movie? You have already the spanish voice done, dont fuck it.

Yeah and the movie looks spectacular. I cat wait to watch it and hope he starts soon with Haunted Mansion *drools*

Salsa

Spoilers:
In the scene where they show off the cubes housing the creatures, there was a left 4 dead zombie in one of them. Director even wanted to do l4d2 dlc

there was
a tank, a witch, more than one reference, and more than in one scene

Except they left out the neurotic emo daddy issues and the inability to see shit due to the found footage handicam fad.

So this must be like the definitive edition or something.
Can't say there's anything wrong with that decision. del Toro's pretty damn capable too, so this should be really interesting.

Sushigod7

I can't believe I hadn't seen this trailer count me in. Can't believe some of you actually care about the voice for the AI. Giant monsters getting the shit pounded out of them by giant mechs. They can have the AI be Kim Kardashian for all I care.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wow.

They literally just put GlaDOS in that movie.

lol

Will watch, looks awesome.

The only distracting part of it to me is it reminds me of how bad Portal 2 was. I can't help but feel that association is going to make it harder to enjoy PR.

And yes I know that's an unpopular opinion but I thought the story/dialogue in P2 was awful. The gameplay itself was average.
Get out of here with your trolling

At the end of the day, very few people are going to notice that both Portal and Pacific Rim have the same sentient AI voice. It simply won't matter to the majority of the theater going audience. And besides, I don't really mind it!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hey did you guys know the voice actor for Spike, Mugen, Shishio, and Amon are the same guy? What were they thinking?

Did you take two minutes and actually watch the trailer?

It's not just the same voice actress, they use the same voice distortion and intonation.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GlaDOS is a pretty big pop culture character at this point, even trascending your typical gaming characters at some point, and I find it really distracting. If the AI has a name not a single person in the world is not-gonna call her GlaDOS.
I think you're overselling GlaDOS and Portal.

Also:
Good morning, Dave.

200px-HAL9000.svg.png

adixon

It's already been suggested that maybe GlaDOS and the AI from PR are somehow the same... but what if the movie simply posits that in the future, the Portal franchise will be so mainstream and popular that ALL AI voices will be made to sound like GlaDOS? What then, hmm? I like how there are several possible explanations.

The movie looks pretty silly, not my kind of thing at all, but... might have to see it in a theater. Something about it just works.

HoosTrax

I don't think it's distracting, so much as jarring, because it's the exact same voice in a completely different setting (and character? I assume it's not supposed to be GladOS in an alternate universe).

I kind of had a similar reaction when I heard the voice for the COPS (the Osborne computer member of the trio) from the Sam and Max games -- "wait, that's not Stephen Hawking?!". Which is jarring in and of itself because Stephen Hawking's voice synthesizer has an American accent...wtf.

Wait, what were we talking about again.

mdtauk

Have you all forgotten the Star Trek TNG commbadge sound effect when starting a puzzle in Professor Layton Mask of Miracle...

It just takes you out of it when you hear it

Darknight

I find it VERY distracting. I Like Portal but im not a mega fan of Valve/Gabe/Portal like most of GAF is.

Like here we have a kick as movie and you hear Glados voice? Like wtf this aint portal/game? Took me right out of the 'experience' of the trailer. Sucks the movie will have this because I know I will cringe when someone brings up Glados/Portal reference into this. Reminds of the me "F'n gamers" comic I see now and then.

Syriel

It'd be awesome if the division producing the mechs was Aperture Science. Script doesn't need to make a big deal out of it or highlight it. A single, throwaway line would be perfect. ;)

Pyccko

That is pretty jarring, but I'll still see it for Del Toro and Elba. Nice to see Elba getting to use his real accent in an American movie.

LowParry

I kept expecting someone to shout out "It's showtime!" Ah well. Looks like a good popcorn flick. As for the GlaDOS voice...who cares? They got permission. Majority of viewers will have no idea who that voice is.

Neiteio

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

This... THIS.

I love love love LOVE Guillermo del Toro. Pan's Labyrinth made me cry like a fucking baby. Saw it four fucking times in theater.

Also got hooked on Hellboy through that big-hearted Mexican bastard.

This... He's finally made his take on Evangelion... Holy shit.

Did you take two minutes and actually watch the trailer?

It's not just the same voice actress, they use the same voice distortion and intonation.

Of course I watched the trailer. Hearing a famous voice in a different context doesn't bother me, because I'm used to the concept of voice acting. Hearing Glados (yes, even with the synthesizer) in another setting is no more jarring than hearing Keith David or Ron Perlman in everything. It's obvious they did it on purpose so Valve fans would be like, "Oh hey, that movie has the Portal voice." Mission accomplished.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't get the negativity of this. I would probably watch this movie because of this. Hopefully she will have a musical number too.

I personally would have gone with Dr Sbaitso but to each is own.

Neiteio

Shit this is SHIT HOT. GDT hasn't made a movie since Hellboy II. While I'd rather he wrap up that trilogy (not happening right now b/c too exhausting for Ron Perlman), I'll certainly take giant robots and giant sea monsters!!

Lijik

It was distracting for the first line but I quickly got used to it. I can see how itd be distracting for some though, its an iconic, distinct role.
Its like if Mel Brooks just used his exact Bugs Bunny voice for some other character.

Top Bottom