• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so GlaDOS in Pacific Rim is pretty distracting..

DiddyBop

Of all the people that watch this film, less than 1% will have even played portal. And please don't be that guy in the seat beside/behind me explaining to your date that the AI voice annoys you because it is from a game you played

Thai

Bane was better.
for those of you who havent seen it: http://youtu.be/2vKz7WnU83E?t=46s

that's Ellen McLain doing a voice in Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim, and for some reason (probably Guillermo asked her, knowing he loves Portal) she decided to do exactly the same voice as GlaDOS.

GlaDOS is a pretty big pop culture character at this point, even trascending your typical gaming characters at some point, and I find it really distracting. If the AI has a name not a single person in the world is not-gonna call her GlaDOS.

This weird thing got me thinking tho, has there ever been anything like this before? someone doing VO in a game and later doing something very similar in a different form of media thus creating this situation? if anything I though non-OT folk should catch this because its fucking weiiiiiiiiiiiird.

LOL, c'mon dude, find me some pop culture references to glados.

Of all the people that watch this film, less than 1% will have even played portal. And please don't be that guy in the seat beside/behind me explaining to your date that the AI voice annoys you because it is from a game you played

Tough, I'm gonna do that now. PM me your cinema of choice and I'll book seats. Don't worry, ticket's on me.

I'll use my whiniest nerd voice and everything!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its like a modern version of Robot Jox cept with Monsters!!!!

5d2.gif

Foxix Von

That... looks like shit. I mean that should be one of the coolest things I've ever seen, but something about it looks so fucking hokey it fails to amaze me. :(

I thought it would be a generic synthesized female voice that resembled GlaDOS not the SAME EXACT FUCKING VOICE!!! Cant really consider this a bad thing though

Yeah, I will not be able to take the movie seriously if the GlaDOS voice is present constantly in the film. That is really, really distracting.

Darryl

Banned

i bet when it comes out only people who have played portal will see it

Salsa

LOL, c'mon dude, find me some pop culture references to glados.

explained what I meant by that in another post, basically said that videogame audiences are pretty in-line with the target audience of this movie and how a fuckton of people who play games know GlaDOS pretty well

ZZMitch

explained what I meant by that in another post, basically said that videogame audiences are pretty in-line with the target audience of this movie and how a fuckton of people who play games know GlaDOS pretty well

I think people who have played Portal know what who Glados is. I doubt, however, that if you go into Black Ops 2 matchmaking or something and ask people there who Glados is many will know. Gamers are pretty segregated too.

xenist

The GLaDOS complaints in this thread and others have me shaking my head so violently I'm actually heating up my room.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why is Del Toro's name plastered all over a J. J. Abrams movie.

And why is he ripping off Evangelion?
And yes, what is Glados doing in Evangelion?

Sojgat

The amount of my personal favourite things that appear in that trailer make it a borderline fetish clip for me:

Giant monsters
Giant Robots
GlaDOS
People being sheathed in exo-frames by robotic arms
Idris Elba
Dumb speeches - "Today, we're cancelling the apocalypse!"
Jax Teller
Rocket punches

My god, this movie looks fucking amazing, and the voice seems to work here IMO, I didn't find it distracting at all.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think about it.

Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it.Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it.Don't think about it.Don't think about it. Don't think about it.
Shit, I thought about it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The amount of my personal favourite things that appear in that trailer make it a borderline fetish clip for me:

Giant monsters
Giant Robots
GlaDOS
Idris Elba
Jax Teller
Rocket punches

My god, this movie looks fucking amazing, and the voice seems to work here IMO, I didn't find it distracting at all.

Yeah, it gave me a boner

Sad_Panda

Wait, Charlie Day is in this movie as well? I'm going up to the mountains to freeze myself until this thing comes out.

Yes, he is. And Guillermo Del Toro actually made a cameo appearance in one of the recent IASIP episodes as a member of the McPoyle family.

tsab

If the OP wasn't Salsa I would assume that this thread was viral to watch trailer.
Worked though, now I am aware of this movie.

And to answer the OP, is a little bit distracting because I giggled like a girl but nice easter egg.

aznpxdd

Giant monsters
Giant Robots
GlaDOS
Idris Elba
Jax Teller
Rocket punches

This post made me crack up at work.

UrbanRats

That is distracting.
GlaDOS is the main reason why i can't play portal 2's campaign again, her chatting became annoying for me the first time around, let alone another entire plathrough.

Then again, it was more her constant attempts at comedy that got old, rather than the voice itself, so i guess it'll be fine here.

Keasar

Oh thank god, I thought I had gone mad thinking it was her.

Definitely wanna see this movie, even before the GLaDOS voice.

That is distracting.
GlaDOS is the main reason why i can't play portal 2's campaign again, her chatting became annoying for me the first time around, let alone another entire plathrough.

Then again, it was more her constant attempts at comedy that got old, rather than the voice itself, so i guess it'll be fine here.
Attempts?

Top Bottom