• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

I wish I had a friend with an uncle that worked at Nintendo. Maybe then I could have some insight into when the next shipment would be in.

I'm only this anxious about it because I can only trade in this old 3DS XL for $125 until 3/19 and only for Switch hardware - doesn't work for backorder or anything similar. Also don't want to throw down 500+ for a Gamestop bundle as I bought BotW with a few games I traded in to get a bonus value.

Once this GS credit is used I am finally going to be done with that company.

Gxgear

Casually swung by a Gamestop today to confirm Funko's Overwatch wave 2's release date, and the rep preemptive asked me if I was looking for Nintendo Switch.

Bruno

Target shows as having no stock for me online but they have a few consoles if you physically go there. I'm assuming they just aren't updating their stock checkers for some reason?

Switch has been up on Amazon Prime Now in Nashville for an hour. NES Classic never lasted this long. I don't think stock issues will last long.

Unicorn

Switch has been up on Amazon Prime Now in Nashville for an hour. NES Classic never lasted this long. I don't think stock issues will last long.

As long as scalpers start returning the stock.

Nothing showing up in Portland. Maybe I'll just try to sell my GS credit and hunt for a Switch elsewhere.

As long as scalpers start returning the stock.

Nothing showing up in Portland. Maybe I'll just try to sell my GS credit and hunt for a Switch elsewhere.
I don't think scalpers are having a problem. Had someone on Craigslist offer me $400 for one of mine so that I would sell to him instead of someone else.

HeelPower

Its "well documented" in the same sense that chemtrails and being a sovereign citizen is "well documented", in that a lot of people say its true on the internet, but it completely fucking folds under any sort of critical scrutiny.

Back during the insanely hyped days of the PS4/XB1(which lets face it a post Wii-U switch could never have reached that kind of demand) it was actually possibly to get a walk in to a store get a pre-order.

Its pretty alarming when every website had a warning label that Switch quantities would be limited!

Demand is already low on craigslist. Units aren't moving and more are continually being added. I think stock will be readily available in stores within 2 weeks maximum.

In Chile (Latin America) we still hace stock around, mainly because the damn "official" price is like 500 USD! Just the Shops which sell it at 400 USD doesn't have any units left.

Damn! I saw some listed this weekend for about 330-380 on local craigslist.
Some people in my area have put as high as 500, but I can't imagine anyone is actually paying that much. Surely...But who knows. I remember when the Wii was out and couldn't be found anywhere. I had the itch so bad, and after weeks of not finding one at stores I would've paid a stupid amount out of desperation just to get my hands on. Thankfully, I was too poor. I don't want to know what I would have stooped to.

Demand is already low on craigslist. Units aren't moving and more are continually being added. I think stock will be readily available in stores within 2 weeks maximum.
I'm in central Illinois, and they've been going up and coming down at a decent pace on Craigslist. There is enough demand that I'm sure scalpers are doing fine. I can only speak from experience, but I got mine sold for $400.

Unicorn

Some people in my area have put as high as 500, but I can't imagine anyone is actually paying that much. Surely...But who knows. I remember when the Wii was out and couldn't be found anywhere. I had the itch so bad, and after weeks of not finding one at stores I would've paid a stupid amount out of desperation just to get my hands on. Thankfully, I was too poor. I don't want to know what I would have stooped to.

The Zelda hype is so strong and it's making me so weak. I really don't have the disposable funds right now to pay out of pocket, hence the GS stuff, but man, sitting here with BotW and no way to play with nothing but boundless praise raining from the internet is breaking me down.

I'm in central Illinois, and they've been going up and coming down at a decent pace on Craigslist. There is enough demand that I'm sure scalpers are doing fine. I can only speak from experience, but I got mine sold for $400.

I guess DFW is a little different. Many listings at $400 or less that have been sitting there along with some insane ones at 600+. Not sure what they are smoking, but they obviously have no clue what's happening in the resale market or didn't look at what others are going for.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Indy is already going down. $375 is the lowest at the moment. I fully expect to be able to walk into retail soon to get one at cost.

Not sure if anybody in the DMV area is still lurking/looking, but if you are, try Wal-mart. Some of the stores are releasing preorders that weren't picked up, and that's how I snagged a blue/red this evening. But now I have to wait until I get paid to get Zelda, so it's like a whole new kind of torture :-/

Moneal

What benefits? How does this 'strategy' pay off?
Why does this 'strategy' only get deployed for products that are already in demand and selling well, but not for products that aren't desired and are not selling?

Just looking at the Wii you can see how the strategy might pay off, not saying this was what happened with the switch or Wii. I worked in retail when the Wii came out. Every shipment we had people line up for one. Half of them only wanting it because they had to get their kid the hot holiday product. Many that didn't get one went to ebay and paid inflated prices to get it. A buzz was created. Each and every shipment we had more and more people waiting. Lines just kept growing for months. Sure some probably gave up, but most the faces were the same each shipment.

The Zelda hype is so strong and it's making me so weak. I really don't have the disposable funds right now to pay out of pocket, hence the GS stuff, but man, sitting here with BotW and no way to play with nothing but boundless praise raining from the internet is breaking me down.
You already bought Breath of the Wild with no Switch? You're doomed. That's like having Tom Hiddleston or Kate Beckinsale naked in your room, taunting you, but you're tied down and can only touch if you pay up. And they're going to make you pay a lot. Because you'll break eventually and they know it.

Exactly. The. Same.

Persona7

Banned
I wish I had a friend with an uncle that worked at Nintendo. Maybe then I could have some insight into when the next shipment would be in.

I'm only this anxious about it because I can only trade in this old 3DS XL for $125 until 3/19 and only for Switch hardware - doesn't work for backorder or anything similar. Also don't want to throw down 500+ for a Gamestop bundle as I bought BotW with a few games I traded in to get a bonus value.

Once this GS credit is used I am finally going to be done with that company.

I was told that GS is expecting a big shipment in early April which lines up with that bundle they are advertising.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was told that GS is expecting a big shipment in early April which lines up with that bundle they are advertising.

Knowing how GS operates, I legit wouldn't be surprised if they were taking all shipments they get between now and then and saving them to sell that bundle.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Spent a good amount of time trying to get one with my little brother this weekend. Everywhere seems pretty empty. The Best Buy in Albany is expecting to get more this week but don't know when.

Walk in and get one whenever they said
No need to preorder they said
Might as well wait they said.

they = me

:,(

I've searched everywhere can't find one. May be out of luck till next big shipment hits....

Zelda hype hit me hard.... I regret everything.

Please let me know if you find Switches anywhere.... ><

I guess DFW is a little different. Many listings at $400 or less that have been sitting there along with some insane ones at 600+. Not sure what they are smoking, but they obviously have no clue what's happening in the resale market or didn't look at what others are going for.

'Sitting there' just means that person has multiple units up for sale and is leaving the ad up until they run out.

mace999

Neo Member
I can't sell the Switch I have, I haven't got it at a high price just the price I paid for it in Thailand but because of the high price here and the low income of a lot of Thai people the shops still have a few left. Including me ......

I just checked with a Dollar to Baht and I'm selling it at $490 with 2 games, Zelda & 1,2 Switch ...... That is the price over here, alll shops had this bundle, you can't buy it by itself.

PusherT

Walk in and get one whenever they said
No need to preorder they said
Might as well wait they said.

they = me

:,(

I've searched everywhere can't find one. May be out of luck till next big shipment hits....

Zelda hype hit me hard.... I regret everything.

Please let me know if you find Switches anywhere.... ><

I'm in Syracuse, NY and Switch are sold out all over CNY.

I see Gamestop has a Switch Bundle availibe at $599. Pre order shipping in April is that a good deal??

http://.gameswwwtop.com/nes/consoles/nintendo-switch-with-gray-joy-con-console-starter-bundle-two-delivers-by-4-16-17/143265

No. You're "Saving" about $20 off of MSRP if you buy the bundle, but if you buy everything seperately you can get it for about $585 total. The BotW Strategy Guide and a 64 GB Micro SD card can be found for half off or more on multiple different sites. The bundle also includes a $30 4-Joycon charging dock, which is completely useless when you consider that the Joycons that come with the Switch can be charged by the Switch, and the bundle doesn't include any extra Joycons.

Celine

Just looking at the Wii you can see how the strategy might pay off, not saying this was what happened with the switch or Wii. I worked in retail when the Wii came out. Every shipment we had people line up for one. Half of them only wanting it because they had to get their kid the hot holiday product. Many that didn't get one went to ebay and paid inflated prices to get it. A buzz was created. Each and every shipment we had more and more people waiting. Lines just kept growing for months. Sure some probably gave up, but most the faces were the same each shipment.
If you could consult NPD data, you would see Wii had record sales for years and was supply constrained until roughly mid 2009 which means Nintendo actually ramped up production.
The problem was that demand was still higher and could not be satiated until many years later.
Wii wasn't in demand because it was scarce but scarcity was brought in because Wii was in high demand for a long stretch of time.
No sane company want their disposable products to be severely undershipped for a long stretch of time, nor fill retail shelves to the point to greatly exceed demand.

FireRises

No. You're "Saving" about $20 off of MSRP if you buy the bundle, but if you buy everything seperately you can get it for about $585 total. The BotW Strategy Guide and a 64 GB Micro SD card can be found for half off or more on multiple different sites. The bundle also includes a $30 4-Joycon charging dock, which is completely useless when you consider that the Joycons that come with the Switch can be charged by the Switch, and the bundle doesn't include any extra Joycons.

agreed. I'd hold off on any bundles as they'e forcing you to buy something you may or may not need. I was super thirsty yesterday but I'm going to chill the f out and just finish up my PC backlog - I'll grab one when I can get it for retail.

LordKano

Grey Switch was up on amazon.fr earlier this morning, and is now already out of stock.
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01M6ZGICT/
Neon is also unavailable but it will get more stock on March 11th
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01N5OPMJW/
Zelda Switch is still out of stock and won't be available for quite some time (they're saying a month, but that's likely placeholder)
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01MUAFFPA/
Super Bomberman R is still out of stock, but I doubt they will ever resupply this one.
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01N388RBY/

Every amiibo and most accessories are out of stock. Seems like a general issue through the whole country.

ACE 1991

Alright, I've resigned myself to simply waiting for retail to have stock before purchasing, scalper prices are in no way worth it. Seems like a lot of people are pretty confident that in the next few weeks stock will be reasonable enough.

Mbrill82

Indy is already going down. $375 is the lowest at the moment. I fully expect to be able to walk into retail soon to get one at cost.

Indianapolis? I'm here too and I'm going out shopping in a little while. I kinda hope I don't see any in stock, I don't think I'll be able to resist

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Another day of searching for the Switch in the Bay Area begins...

fetus8

I saw a few people asking about Northern Colorado a few pages back...

I went in to a Best Buy over the weekend and they were pretty much wiped out of everything Switch related aside from copies of BOTW, 1 2 Switch, and Bomberman. I went back last night and they actually had received a shipment of Switch consoles in, and were NOT sold out until about 6 pm last night. Out of curiosity I asked if any other stores had them, and the store in Loveland, CO still had stock last night.

I know a few of the Walmarts had stock on Saturday, which I know is probably gone by now. I went into a Target looking for Switch accessories yesterday, and they had a decent selection, aside from Pro Controllers. Target did NOT have any consoles yesterday morning btw.

TL:DR
They're gone now, but they def were available over the last couple days if you looked hard enough in Northern CO.

FireRises

Alright, I've resigned myself to simply waiting for retail to have stock before purchasing, scalper prices are in no way worth it. Seems like a lot of people are pretty confident that in the next few weeks stock will be reasonable enough.

same here... I think'll work out. If you saw that crowb video from yesterday, I'd sure as hell hate to pay resale and then have an issue where I can't return it to a store... and it's not like there's a ton of games to be playing besides Zelda.

ACE 1991

I saw a few people asking about Northern Colorado a few pages back...

I went in to a Best Buy over the weekend and they were pretty much wiped out of everything Switch related aside from copies of BOTW, 1 2 Switch, and Bomberman. I went back last night and they actually had received a shipment of Switch consoles in, and were NOT sold out until about 6 pm last night. Out of curiosity I asked if any other stores had them, and the store in Loveland, CO still had stock last night.

I know a few of the Walmarts had stock on Saturday, which I know is probably gone by now. I went into a Target looking for Switch accessories yesterday, and they had a decent selection, aside from Pro Controllers. Target did NOT have any consoles yesterday morning btw.

TL:DR
They're gone now, but they def were available over the last couple days if you looked hard enough in Northern CO.

Nice avatar, I'm seeing SOPHIE on Friday at a music festival in New Orleans :)

same here... I think'll work out. If you saw that crowb video from yesterday, I'd sure as hell hate to pay resale and then have an issue where I can't return it to a store... and it's not like there's a ton of games to be playing besides Zelda.

Honestly those videos are entertaining but intentionally misleading, I doubt the vast majority of people are having those issues. The scratching caused by the dock is the big one that seems significantly more widespread.

EDIT: If anyone is in the Philadelphia area and unable to resist, a dude is selling a Gray Switch on CL for $360 in King of Prussia.

fetus8

Nice avatar, I'm seeing SOPHIE on Friday at a music festival in New Orleans :)

Honestly those videos are entertaining but intentionally misleading, I doubt the vast majority of people are having those issues. The scratching caused by the dock is the big one that seems significantly more widespread.

EDIT: If anyone is in the Philadelphia area and unable to resist, a dude is selling a Gray Switch on CL for $360 in King of Prussia.

Thanks! Have fun! He always puts on a good show. So much good energy comes from his music

The scratching thing is definitely real but can be easily avoided with a shit screen protector. I feel like the Switches with bad screens and BSOD type issues are pretty minor. Haven't talked to another person IRL with a major issue like that yet.

Sephzilla

I don't think you'll have to wait super long to find it in stock anyway.

Will0827

What are your guys thoughts on a Grey Switch with Zelda, 1-2 Switch and bomberman, The hori stand and an extra pair of neon Joy Cons for 450.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom