• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am slightly concerned that iStock won't help me for my particular area, as it seems to have no data on past stock for any of the Gamestops, Walmarts, Targets or Best Buys near me.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Meanwhile, in Ireland.

PggwoMo.png

My local store had about 10-15 in stock yesterday, was kind of surprised how readily available it was here. Full stock of accessories as well.

El Topo

Uh my experience is pretty different, just look at the review scores for Wii Sports to see how nobody really got it. There was some interest from the mainstream press, but they only got all over it later, when researchers started implementing it in nursing homes and especially around Wii fit. Sure it was much more hype than 1-2 Switch, but the first half year to a year the Wii sold to core gamers.

When Wii launched in Germany, I still vividly recall tons of media reports (on TV) about how sensational and revolutionary Wii sports was. The hype definitely was there from the beginning.

Futureman

I am slightly concerned that iStock won't help me for my particular area, as it seems to have no data on past stock for any of the Gamestops, Walmarts, Targets or Best Buys near me.

I just noticed my area (Pittsburgh) only has historic data for Target and Walmart.

Gonna check the Gamestop and Exchange in my area on lunch. The hunt continues.

I just noticed my area (Pittsburgh) only has historic data for Target and Walmart.

Gonna check the Gamestop and Exchange in my area on lunch. The hunt continues.

I'm pretty sure Gamestops will pop up anyway, some of the Gamestops that got restocks in other areas of MA didn't have any history either, but it does make me concerned about Target or Walmart near me, as neither have histories.

This. I think we should wait see how long the Switch takes to catch and pass the WiiU. You have to figure that most of the current Switch buyers are among the 12 million WiiU owners.

I would say there's no real basis for this. Many of these buyers may have completely skipped the Wii U, or they're upgrading from 3ds.....or they haven't bought a Nintendo console since the Wii and the Switch concept appeals to them. Could be any number of demographics at work here. I would argue that BOTW being on Wii U deters "a number" of Wii U owners from buying a Switch right now, if anything. I was actually tempted to buy BOTW for Wii U myself, but ultimately I decided that the versatility of being to play this at home or away from home( like during my lunch hour which I expect to do often) was a strong enough selling point for me to forgo the Wii U version and get the Switch specifically for Zelda.

Went by the Target today that an employee told me "might" be getting stock today - no dice. Dejected, I check iStockNow on a whim and see the Target across town listed as having some (4) available. Hustle over there, and they had ONE left just 20 minutes after opening. Employee said they "weren't supposed" to get them until Saturday. Whatever, don't care. My search has ended!

Moral of the story: iStockNow's live map is a great feature and everyone should be using it.

Good luck to the rest of you! :)

Brickseek/Istocknow/a couple of other similar sites are 100% inaccurate near me and just say everything near me has huge unsold stocks 24/7.

Ugh

Se_7_eN

I can find them pretty easily in the northwest and central US.

Personally, I am holding off to see what the first and third party support will be like (based on the Wii and WiiU)

Jacknapes

The Sainsburys near my partners has a few Switches in stock, same as the Asda near me. Most places still don't have the NES mini stock back in yet, which does make me worry about the Switch restocking a bit.

Futureman

Sweet man. I just noticed a gamestop popped up in Natrona Heights but that is a long way from me haha.

just checked Gamestop in Oakland... there were like 6 people waiting there and the guy said they were all accounted for.

It seemed like they were waiting for the shipment to come in so it's not like I could have just waited (job).

We're just about 3 weeks out from launch and people are still lining up.

just checked Gamestop in Oakland... there were like 6 people waiting there and the guy said they were all accounted for.

It seemed like they were waiting for the shipment to come in so it's not like I could have just waited (job).

3 weeks out from launch, but this is the first restock that was announced. If they just randomly restocked there wouldn't be lines and the chances of randomly finding one would be better

TS-08

And they're lining up on a Wednesday morning.

NYCrooner

As of last night when I checked in with multiple Gamestops and Best Buys, NYC is still a ghost town and it's damn depressing.

It really is. Even the Nintendo World Store can save us. I actually don't have time to play anything right now anyway but I just want what I want damnit! :p

Coketruck

Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen the blue left and right joy-cons in stock anywhere? I wanted to pick up another couple for the upcoming Mario Kart goodness and like the idea of having two blue ones, but I can't find the damn things anywhere.

People lined at the GameStop downstairs from my job at 9:30. Went down there on my 10:30 break, they're now lined up in the store. GS employee told me yesterday they were only getting 5 systems, but there's at least 10 people in there right now. She also said they were only getting grey ones, so I'm not that depressed about it.

Moltenix

Hmm, so it sounds like there might be limited stock of Neon Switch's going forward? If I run into a Grey Switch in stock somewhere, it'd probably be best to grab it rather than hold out for a Neon?

vern

Picked mine up in shanghai tonight. Tons of stock. Expensive still but price has come down a lot. Zelda is dope!

Faiz

Went by the Target today that an employee told me "might" be getting stock today - no dice. Dejected, I check iStockNow on a whim and see the Target across town listed as having some (4) available. Hustle over there, and they had ONE left just 20 minutes after opening. Employee said they "weren't supposed" to get them until Saturday. Whatever, don't care. My search has ended!

Moral of the story: iStockNow's live map is a great feature and everyone should be using it.

Good luck to the rest of you! :)

Conversely, several stores in my area didn't show up as in stock on istocknow map until they were already sold out.

Finally got one. Woke up at 6 am to go to GS and wait, and just checked brickseek for Walmart. They had 10 compared to 3 the night before. Was about a 20 min drive but they had about 7. As im about to pay, my card gets declined, so I try my other one and the same thing happened. Called my bank real quick to let them know and in about 5 mins I walked out with a switch.

PaineReign

Neo Member
Just got back from a Gamestop in Madison, WI - about 15 people in line and they got 4 in stock this morning. I did not end up getting one. Still impossible to find one in this city.

Alukus

Neo Member
Walmart in the Durham Region, east of Toronto got stocked this morning. Check it out on a whim, one hour after opening and got the last one.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
Just got back from a Gamestop in Madison, WI - about 15 people in line and they got 4 in stock this morning. I did not end up getting one. Still impossible to find one in this city.

That the East Town Mall location that's still showing them in stock on iStocknow.com as of yesterday afternoon?

I'm less than 10 minutes from a GS here in Milwaukee so I'm just waiting for that one or another to pop off around here and I'm out the door. Not sure if this plan is good enough but I gotta work today. :|

PaineReign

Neo Member
That the East Town Mall location that's still showing them in stock on iStocknow.com as of yesterday afternoon?

I'm less than 10 minutes from a GS here in Milwaukee so I'm just waiting for that one or another to pop off around here and I'm out the door. Not sure if this plan is good enough but I gotta work today. :|

Yeah, not super sure how they get there information on Brick Seek and IStockNow but that data hasn't been accurate in my experience. No Switches at GS or Walmart that those sites cite as being in stock, unfortunately.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
Yeah, I don't super trust those sites either but it's the best I've got. Also gonna sprinkle in a few pop overs here and there throughout the day since I'm working from home.

Edited to say I've been running under the assumption that the Walmarts that show stock are pre-orders that haven't been picked up yet.

Haybro

Looking on iStocknow and Charlottesville VA is this perfect circle of nothing surrounded on all sides by tons of restock at least an hour away. Feels bad.

blizzardsounds

Neo Member
Outside of Buffalo NY. Went to 2 Gamestops. First I watched the last one being sold. They got 5. Checked another store, got one of the last ones. That store got 10. The girl working told me stock was allocated based on initial preorders and sales.

For iStocknow you have to put the filter on for "New Arrivals".

It's still 100% useless for my area. It shows almost every store in stock with "new arrivals" but you go or call and they have nothing.

If the switch situation has taught me anything it's that online stock checking things are all flaming lies at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom