• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still 100% useless for my area. It shows almost every store in stock with "new arrivals" but you go or call and they have nothing.

If the switch situation has taught me anything it's that online stock checking things are all flaming lies at best.

Not really. If the item is checked into inventory it shows up. Every GameStop I drove by today had a line, meaning the systems weren't lasting very long.

Ditters

Brickseek got me one this morning at Walmart. I checked when i woke up this morning and nothing, then checked again in like an hour and a store by me updated with 5. Pretty excited to finally get to play Zelda.

Brickseek got me one this morning at Walmart. I checked when i woke up this morning and nothing, then checked again in like an hour and a store by me updated with 5. Pretty excited to finally get to play Zelda.
Which sku are you using for brick seek? I'm seeing a few

Not really. If the item is checked into inventory it shows up. Every GameStop I drove by today had a line, meaning the systems weren't lasting very long.

Ok I guess I'm just lying about the dozen + stores I've called and visited this week that said they didn't have any since launch and won't until April even though istock had them as recent arrivals.

Braintree MA turned up on iStockNow, called them and learned they only got one, one single unit in, and twenty people had lined up since 9am. He said they'd get more tomorrow probably, like 5-6, but insisted that the new $460 Zelda Bundle was the way to go and I could return, for cash, anything I didn't want. I was skeptical, so I visited my local Gamestop to see what the situation was a bit closer to home.

None had come in, but will probably arrive tomorrow, or maybe Friday. He confirmed like I suspected, you can't trade parts of the bundle for cash, but he did offer to trade in stuff for other things, like I could trade in what I didn't want and use it to pay off Splatoon 2, for example. Sadly that bundle got removed shortly after that and a new, downloadable games bundle popped up, which would be impossible to trade in.

So I guess my game plan is to head in tomorrow when UPS arrives and hope for the best.

Ok I guess I'm just lying about the dozen + stores I've called and visited that said they didn't have any since launch and won't until April even though istock had them as recent arrivals.
You're sorting by only new arrivals? Before yesterday I don't know that I saw over a dozen stores with inventory changes in the whole country.

TDLink

Hmm, so it sounds like there might be limited stock of Neon Switch's going forward? If I run into a Grey Switch in stock somewhere, it'd probably be best to grab it rather than hold out for a Neon?

I don't think that's true at all, nor has Nintendo said they'd be a limited SKU. It's just this restock was only greys. The next one might be only Neons, who knows.

I probably could run around and find one right now but I'd rather wait for a Neon personally.

ParityBit

They will probably be gone in 30 seconds anyway

Until these are sitting for more than 24 hours on a store shelf, unfortunately, every time an online retailer gets stock, scalpers and online alert sites will assure that they are sold out after mere moments every time.

Yeah, very unfortunate. Since I work normal hours and can not really get away for lunch, it is the primary way I would get one. I have always had bad luck with Walmart/Gamestop websites, so I just stick with them now.

Meanwhile, in Ireland.

PggwoMo.png

My local store had about 10-15 in stock yesterday, was kind of surprised how readily available it was here. Full stock of accessories as well.

What website / tracker is this?

Has anyone had any luck or seen anything with best buy? Im sure they get a few here and there but it feels like they havnt.

I guess you gotta go in as they open on shipment days? The email to notify has been useless. Best buy pretty much my only source to get one with all my credits. :/

niunhuiio

GameStops in MD opened at 10, but I could only leave after 12. All sold out immediately from the people waiting throughout the early morning :( wish I had the free time those people had

And DC Prime Now gets a few units every couple hours, but I'm just outside DC and can't get them. Painful

Futureman

Has anyone had any luck or seen anything with best buy? Im sure they get a few here and there but it feels like they havnt.

I guess you gotta go in as they open on shipment days? The email to notify has been useless. Best buy pretty much my only source to get one with all my credits. :/

I didn't even get a Best Buy email when the gray was in stock the other day. Just the zoolert thing. Basically store websites aren't reliable for stock or stock notifications if it's a hot item.

Hari Seldon

Yo its a bit of a haul, but I've noticed that the Century 3 Best Buy barely has people. I saw about 7 in stock on launch day there. I haven't been back to check, but it's something to look into.

Yeah that is a good call. Seems like the gamestop restock was gobbled up everywhere as soon as the doors opened.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Nothing in the eastern panhandle of WV since launch. Just a couple false positives on local walmarts. Preorders I assume that are still there.

Mael

People called Wii Sports a glorified tech demo and a N64 game. The motion controls got praised, but outside of that, it was called a tech demo, not a real game by many online users.
We had that shitty divide in the communities between hardcores and casuals in the worst debates I have ever seen.
Many saw value in the game and the general market data we have backs this up.
It literally does, when you think that the Nintendo diehards are the ones who mostly bought the WiiU and will be the first to buy the new hardware and play Zelda on it rather than WiiU. Just like many Nintendo fans opted for the Wii version of TP instead of just getting the GCN version.

You better have hard data to show that.GC version of TP was in VERY short supply but still sold over 1,5Mil copies which is basically what Prime 2 sold.
TP managed to sell over ~7Mil copîes on Wii, most Wii owners at the time didn't bother with it.
We do not have data to back up that WiiU owners ignored BotW WiiU and we do know that the primary driver for Switch adoption AND that WiiU best sellers are basically MK8 and Mario games (with a dash of Splatoon).
The game closest to BotW mechanically is actually XenoX who didn't sell that much all things considered.
Next is Zelda WW HD that sold 2Mil.
So I'd say the market for WiiU wouldn't be the best market for a game like BotW.
We have enough info to know that not an insignificant number of people playing Zelda right now never played a Zelda game before which is unlikely if they're Nintendo diehard (as Zelda is after all a Nintendo bestseller).
So unless you have something to back it up, this looks like "Wii is only interesting to Nintendo diehard" we saw circa 2007.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
B&H just put a bundle up for $489

Finally got my Switch in Phoenix, was the last one (Grey only) from the new stock at my local Walmart (they opened at 6:00 am and I got there at around 8:00 am, gone that quick). Wanted a Neon but I'll take what I can get, in love with it already. Great hardware.

Massicot

Finally got mine at a Walmart that brickseek said had 5 but they had 1.

I have Zelda, a memory card, and a case. Just need a pro controller and I'm set.

Good luck with this week's restock everyone!

Wow! Got the last grey one at a Best Buy here in Socal. Walked in there didn't expecting anything and a customer was buying one which I figured with my luck would be last one but they had one more left! Bought it with Zelda...my first Nintendo console since the N64. This was after going to afew Targets and Walmart. Good luck to everyone trying to find one.

Outside of Buffalo NY. Went to 2 Gamestops. First I watched the last one being sold. They got 5. Checked another store, got one of the last ones. That store got 10. The girl working told me stock was allocated based on initial preorders and sales.
I didn't even bother with GameStop when I got mine. I was just calling Oogie Games in Depew around the afternoon asking if they got more in. When they finally said yeah I got there as fast as possible. Generally Oogie has less stock issues from my experience.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
welp, I give up. just missed at the gamestop closest to my house by under 5 minutes so the guy said. I've expended as much energy as I'm willing to on this. I'll wait until you can easily walk into a store and buy one at this point.

That iStocknow website is super inaccurate, at least near me in NJ.

Hit up at least 5 different places that said they had stock updated within the last few minutes, and nothing. Most of them told me they haven't had the Switch since launch.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
it is accurate from what I can tell here in the suburbs north of Milwaukee. I just got unlucky today and today was my best shot.

with this bullshit behind me I can now hopefully give Horizon Zero Dawn the full attention it deserves.

BNGames

Called the local Gamestops around West Los Angeles and was told they were only going to guarantee stock of the switch to people who purchased the bundles, and that those would arrive on the 31st.

I found it funny the majority of the GameStops I went to, had no idea they were supposed to be getting a restock.

Guess they either claim ignorance, or they don't even follow their own corporate Twitter account.

I found it funny the majority of the GameStops I went to, had no idea they were supposed to be getting a restock.

Guess they either claim ignorance, or they don't even follow their own corporate Twitter account.

Ummmm.... I don't know about you but I have NEVER followed the companies I have worked for on social media.

Hell, I would be shocked if more that a 3% of employees do, especially in hourly jobs.

Ummmm.... I don't know about you but I have NEVER followed the companies I have worked for on social media.

Hell, I would be shocked if more that a 3% of employees do, especially in hourly jobs.

Yeah but if the company puts it on social media on the 20th. You have to believe that the stores are told beforehand that on 3/22 you'll be getting x amount of Switches

Yeah but if the company puts it on social media on the 20th. You have to believe that the stores are told beforehand that on 3/22 you'll be getting x amount of Switches
You would think so. But it seems most stores were just told they were getting Switches in sometime from wednesday onwards. Absolutely no firm dates or numbers.

Futureman

Probably because whatever you did at those companies had nothing to do with what their Twitter was communicating to the world.

If Gamestop's Twitter says something that will influence people coming to their store the employees should know.

Yesterday, I went to 2 Walmart, 2 Targets, and 2 Best Buy's and there were no switches. I was looking for a pro controller and finally landed one at the last Target stop. This is the Northeast Houston/ Kingwood area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom