• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
Sthphvp.png

Switch in Finland retail 369 € vs. Amazon.de at 329 € (not available though).

Photo taken today at Finland's largest retail chain location.

And used / ones bought for scalping are starting to surface under Amazon price.
No point in scalping if the stores are already scalping themselves lol. MSRP is €300. I preordered and bought mine for €309 here in the Netherlands. Calculated to Finnish VAT (24% instead of 21%) that's €317.

€369 is pure thievery by that store.

Of course they would only do that when they know full well they're going to sell out at the price, so I think you're being a bit optimistic with your readily available. I reckon in a few days that shelf will be empty again.

HalfJoey

Neo Member
I am patiently waiting for it to be on store shelves because I am not going to support a scalper. Saying the markup is not that bad misses the point entirely. People who don't want the console are dicks for buying one so they can make a profit off of those who do want one. I would rather wait until they make more so people who did it, make no profit at all. Either way, all this is about is patience. And to be honest with all the issues, and the sheer fact that the only game I want is Zelda, I can certainly wait. Those being impatient is a personal issue.

This is my exact stance my want of a Switch. I want one but I don't want to go out of my way, or pay a lot more, or labor too much to get one right now. I called a couple stores in my area to see if they had any, they did not. When I went to a Target for things and stopped by the video game section to see if they have any, they didn't either. That's my search for the week. I will maybe set up phone notifications from stock websites if I feel like it but right now I just want one. I dont want one badly.

Mithos

No point in scalping if the stores are already scalping themselves lol. MSRP is €300. I preordered and bought mine for €309 here in the Netherlands. Calculated to Finnish VAT (24% instead of 21%) that's €317.

It's probably at that price in ALL stores in Finland...

It's closer to €390 in ALL stores in Sweden.

Apt101

My local GameStop seems to be getting a lot in next week. The girl was wheeling and dealing several preorders before me (and she was so happy, I know they're graded on that). They wanted to sell it in a bundle, which is fine with me, because the bundle was all of the games and accessories I planned on getting anyway. I even preordered a premium case kit just to help her along.

R0ckman

Well scalping consoles in Finland doesn't work wery well. :D
Even if it's a hard to find sold out console people here just refuse to pay anything over retail. Even if you tried to sell something for scalping prices people are going to give you hard time and send you tons of nasty messages.
I'm pretty sure that Finns consider even unopeded electronics as second hand products if you are trying to resell it. And no one is going to pay full price or anything over it if it's a second hand item. :D At least that's my theory.

So in the US people are just dumb? Would be great for people to be more resistant to scalpers.

It sucks that this thread is full of people on the hunt for a Switch while smug know-it-alls wander in and try to convince everyone they're rubes for falling for Nintendo's conspiracy of a business model that doesn't actually exist. It's honestly insulting.

spekkeh

Banned
It sucks that this thread is full of people on the hunt for a Switch while smug know-it-alls wander in and try to convince everyone they're rubes for falling for Nintendo's conspiracy of a business model that doesn't actually exist. It's honestly insulting.
It's just veiled console warriorism. Nintendo is doomed, they cannot be popular, therefore the people trying to get one must have been tricked somehow. This explanation is more convenient than changing my preconceptions so it must be true.

(For sure scarcity does create some demand, but also turns people off, and ultimately the money is to be made from licensing as a platform holder, not from having stores run away with scalper profits to the detriment of your install base)

Ridiculous claim.

Citation needed. There are people in this thread who said they bought one just because it was there and weren't sure they even wanted one. They just snatched it up because it was rare.

Also Nintendo has indeed been pulling this stock shit since i was a kid, but only if the hype was right. I was a young buck taking multiple buses just to find and pay 80 fuckin bucks for super Mario bothers 2 because it was the hot game sold out everywhere, and I neeeeded it.lol
No, apparently they haven't according to this thread. lol

Yeah but don't tell that to the tin-foil hatters around here who think that NOT selling hot products is an effective - but deceptive -strategy employed by Nintendo to actually...

... you guessed it - Sell more systems!

Da'faq? :/

It's not like Nintendo has a history of this.

Oh wait.

I just finished reading Console Wars (great book, give it a go!) And Nintendo has had a very deliberate strategy of under delivering to retailers since the NES days. Seems to work out well for them.

And it's not like under delivering doesn't create customers when they might not have been one.

Oh wait.
I bought mine on a whim yesterday almost solely based on the fact that it's super rare. I will either sell it, or give to my kids for Christmas. Either way, wouldn't have bought it yesterday for either scenario if the shelves were full.

I'm not sure how many of you have taken any business classes or any econ classes, so maybe that's why you're fine with denying this very practice is happening, in this very thread no less, but whatever.

Inotti

It's probably at that price in ALL stores in Finland...

It's closer to €390 in ALL stores in Sweden.
Yeah, it pretty much is 369€ in all stores here. Cheapest I've seen in Finland is 349€ at Gigantti. I bought mine at gamestops's midnight launch for 369€ and got bunch of promotional Switch goodies (t-shirt, sport water bottle, pen, keychain) and splatoon amiibo, candy and coca cola for free. Gamestop employee said that the goodiebag was from Bersgala for people who was buying the console at midnight launch.
I regret nothing since it was fun. And the next day I was using my red Nintendo Switch t-shirt while playing Zelda. :D

€369 is pure thievery by that store
I'm pretty sure it's not all retailer's fault. Bersgala is propably one to blame for high Nintendo prices in Nordic countries.

Neoweee

Citation needed. There are people in this thread who said they bought one just because it was there and weren't sure they even wanted one. They just snatched it up because it was rare.

No, apparently they haven't according to this thread. lol

It's not like Nintendo has a history of this.

Oh wait.

And it's not like under delivering doesn't create customers when they might not have been one.

Oh wait.

I'm not sure how many of you have taken any business classes or any econ classes, so maybe that's why you're fine with denying this very practice is happening, in this very thread no less, but whatever.

If they really are intentionally not shipping units out, by what % are they doing so? Your entire argument hinges on them doing some massive sacrifice of sales under the assumption that shortages actually increase real demand for the product, which is, at best, an extremely marginal effect.

The sources you cite from the 80s are about Nintendo's specific relationships with retailers, not under-shipping NESs by tens of percent for vague reasons.

I just mentally can't reconcile a product selling record numbers, while also being intentionally under-shipped by any meaningful number, and that the producing company can actually predict those types of sale numbers weeks or months in advance to ride the razor's edge of having a slight shortage (but not too big lest they not sell record numbers, or not too many and have no shortage at all).

It just strikes me as... insane?

Of course they would only do that when they know full well they're going to sell out at the price, so I think you're being a bit optimistic with your readily available. I reckon in a few days that shelf will be empty again.

Switch has been available in pretty much every popular electronics internet store since like week after the launch. Device just isn't that popular in Finland (at least not with just Zelda and with such a high price).

Hero

Nintendo ate crow and financial loss with how off they were with both the 3DS and Wii U initial sales that their next system and so they start with a conservative 2 million units that they announce publicly and people still think they are creating an artificial scarcity? I guess these are the same people that said that during the Wii boom when Nintendo was producing more consoles a month than any manufacturer had done beforehand?

Futureman

The claim was that HALF the people in here are only buying because of stock issues.

Even if you count up people who explicitly admitted to doing so, you really don't know why everyone else is buying one. So I stand buy it's ridiculous to make a baseless claim like that which adds nothing of value.

kcxiv

The claim was that HALF the people in here are only buying because of stock issues.

Even if you count up people who explicitly admitted to doing so, you really don't know why everyone else is buying one. So I stand buy it's ridiculous to make a baseless claim like that which adds nothing of value.

yeah, 50 percent is a huge number, 5 to 10 percent maybe.

It's not conspiracy, and noone has told anyone they are a sucker for buying one. Hell I bought two one for my niece one for me.

But keep building those straw men to defend your chosen corporate god when what we are saying isn't even an insult.

Kar L

ok, well that's you. Then there's five people or so who refuted your reply so there's that. Sounds like more people think your claim is ridiculous than mine.

Many people are aware and fully admit that they only bought the Switch immediately because of stock shortages.

Finn

How come it's always the junior members that seem to reeeeeeeally wanna shit on the Switch and play console wars?

RedZaraki

Banned
I've yet to actually ever see even as much as a demo stand for this device or know anyone at all who owns one.

As far as I'm concerned it may as well not exist.

Nintendo didn't send nearly enough to the states.

Falchion

Going to New York on Monday and I'm planning on visiting Nintendo World while I'm there. I figure if they happen to have Switches in stock, I'll buy one and Zelda just because it would be so cool to have gotten mine from there. Not optimistic it'll happen though.

Went to local Toys'R'Us yesterday and guy told me they gonna have a shipment today. Of course they wouldn't let me pay up front and told me to come back today. I already have one switch but I can't play on it as my wife is playing BotW all the time so I have to play it on WiiU. I said fuck it, I'll go there 5am, wait till they open and grab one for myself.

There was around 50 people in line at 5am already and they supposed to get only 10 of them, so I had to say fuck it again and go home to play BotW on my WiiU lol

Went to local Toys'R'Us yesterday and guy told me they gonna have a shipment today. Of course they wouldn't let me pay up front and told me to come back today. I already have one switch but I can't play on it as my wife is playing BotW all the time so I have to play it on WiiU. I said fuck it, I'll go there 5am, wait till they open and grab one for myself.

There was around 50 people in line at 5am already and they supposed to get only 10 of them, so I had to say fuck it again and go home to play BotW on my WiiU lol

Wow, the thirst is real.

Alchemy

This is why I said fuck it and slept in. I'll just wait until April and keep my fingers crossed Nintendo can get stock out reasonably quick.

VillageBC

yeah, 50 percent is a huge number, 5 to 10 percent maybe.

I'll admit it, stock shortages sort of have me interested in buying one. But more because my friend has one, it actually was pretty good. But I'm really only interested in Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so I'm not really in any hurry.

TDLink

I've yet to actually ever see even as much as a demo stand for this device or know anyone at all who owns one.

As far as I'm concerned it may as well not exist.

Nintendo didn't send nearly enough to the states.

The problem is North America is a hard region to allocate for. It's gigantic and they're trying to spread the stock evenly whether it's cities in the midwest or a metroplex like NY or LA. We know they were only producing 2-3 million for this month worldwide. Imagine splitting that between Japan, Europe, Australia & New Zealand, as well as North America.

Not trying to make excuses for them, but just think about it logically. Of course it's going to be spread thin. Even if all 3 million were allocated to NA it would be thin, and they couldn't do that. Hopefully they're able to get that increased production up and running pretty fast.

Malakai

I'm still going to disagree. You could find a PS2 pretty easily within the first year. Same with an Xbox 360. The PS2 sold more than the Wii and the 360 wasn't far off. You could find a PS4 pretty easily after a few months despite it selling incredibly well.
Even still how do you explain the other stuff I mentioned? How many game cube adapters did they make 6? The NES classic not being readily available by Holiday is laughable, no way they couldn't meet that demand. It's not like it sold 10 million units, they just always under supply.

It is the RATE of the sales. The Wii sole over 20 million units annually twice. The PS2 only did that once. (The only other system was to break the 20 million figure annually was the D.S. which did it 3 years consecutively and it would be more accurate to say the DS moved 27 million units annually for three years straight) The Xbox 360 never sole over 20 million units in one year. The PS4 may break the 20 million figure at the end of the current FY for Sony. The Wii was moving 600,000 during summer months in the U.S. were the seasonal norm is roughly 200,000 units.

color111

Neo Member
Got the last online one that my local Gamestop could order. It cost $444, but I took advantage of some bonus value offers and traded in my old PS4 (I have a pro) and 3DS that never gets use, along with 5 games, and got it down to $110. Comes with 4 games including Zelda and it's season pass, which I would have bought for $80. So essentially I got the Switch down to $30. At least that's how I'm going to justify in my mind how much money I've lost over time through trades. :(

And now I play the waiting game for it to ship.

Tubie

Got the last online one that my local Gamestop could order. It cost $444, but I took advantage of some bonus value offers and traded in my old PS4 (I have a pro) and 3DS that never gets use, along with 5 games, and got it down to $110. Comes with 4 games including Zelda and it's season pass, which I would have bought for $80. So essentially I got the Switch down to $30. At least that's how I'm going to justify in my mind how much money I've lost over time through trades. :(

And now I play the waiting game for it to ship.

But now you get to spend even more money on a case/sd card/screen protector/pro controller/extra joycons!

kcxiv

I'll admit it, stock shortages sort of have me interested in buying one. But more because my friend has one, it actually was pretty good. But I'm really only interested in Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so I'm not really in any hurry.

it means that people were iffy on the console and that is logical thinking. Now that people have it and people love their device and you see others saying, its solid outside of the "joy con" issues. Of course its natural to want something others are enjoying.

I never ever buy launch day consoles and i did with the switch. First time ever and im 40 years old. Its fun to have. I game on my switch at times and mostly play on PC. Hell, i even let my playstation plus go for the first time since i got it. I dont even care to renew it either.

Shengar

So you took some business class but failed to take account on the fact that the last two Nintendo mainline hardware were overstocked and instead choose to belief conspiracy theory about artificial scarcity despite Nintendo have publicly said they're going to produce only 2 millions of unit at launch month? You either took a shitty class or slept through it.

Nintendo ate crow and financial loss with how off they were with both the 3DS and Wii U initial sales that their next system and so they start with a conservative 2 million units that they takes about publicly and people still think they are creating an artificial scarcity? I guess these are the same people that said that during the Wii boom when Nintendo was producing more consoles a month than any manufacturer had done beforehand?
Bu-but muh artificial scarcity!!1!
People claimed to be educated but believe in this artificial scarcity shits when there are enough evidence that the stock problems are caused by Nintendo conservative prediction. The fact that Wii U have initial large stock because they believed it going to sell fucktons pretty much disprove this artificial scarcity conspiracy theory.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Was in my local GAME store yesterday asked him what their stock situation has been like. Sold out on 3rd March and have had zero deliveries of fresh stock since.

xJavonta

Banned
Hoping this shit is together next week and I can just walk into a store and find one.

But knowing Nintendo that probably won't have one.

sphinx

the piano man
about the whole planned scarcity thing, it's not a tactic is just aiming to sell 100% of what's produced.

basically they want to avoid the Animal Crossing amiibo debacle, which not only was massively overshipped and never sold, but killed ANY amiibo hype.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
here in the UK amazon were saying they'd get stock in on the 31st. nintendo's official store is saying just late march. tesco says 7th april. argos has stock of neon model in some stores (71 out of at least 750 stores).

everywhere is sold out. only amazon market place/ebay is listed as in stock so basically people pushing their luck trying to sell for at least £60 over the official price.

source: http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-nintendo-switch

ParityBit

Is there a reason to get the separate colored joy cons outside of looks? My assumption when it gets in stock I will just grab whatever.

ncslamm

Is there a reason to get the separate colored joy cons outside of looks? My assumption when it gets in stock I will just grab whatever.

To be honest I bought the gray switch and the neon joycons separately. I prefer the gray but maybe it's just me. The neon controllers look good but when I'm toting my switch around with me I prefer the gray. Then again, I'm into dull colors for my pricey devices.

Error1355

I wonder when I'll be able to actually find one of these to buy. I didn't really know if I wanted one or not but seeing everyone playing with it during PAX East made me need it.

ParityBit

To be honest I bought the gray switch and the neon joycons separately. I prefer the gray but maybe it's just me. The neon controllers look good but when I'm toting my switch around with me I prefer the gray. Then again, I'm into dull colors for my pricey devices.

Okay thanks. I will remove it from my list of accessories. I am just preparing in the off chance I ever get one.

Laekon

I wonder when I'll be able to actually find one of these to buy. I didn't really know if I wanted one or not but seeing everyone playing with it during PAX East made me need it.
Most brick and mortar retailers get stock Tuesday. It's not that hard if you can get out early that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom