• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
about the whole planned scarcity thing, it's not a tactic is just aiming to sell 100% of what's produced.

basically they want to avoid the Animal Crossing amiibo debacle, which not only was massively overshipped and never sold, but killed ANY amiibo hype.

i don't like their policy so i'm going to wait until it's on deep sale. it's a shitty sales tactic and their peripherals are crazy overpriced.

spekkeh

Banned
about the whole planned scarcity thing, it's not a tactic is just aiming to sell 100% of what's produced.

basically they want to avoid the Animal Crossing amiibo debacle, which not only was massively overshipped and never sold, but killed ANY amiibo hype.
Amiibos are collectables. Scarcity adds to the desirability because it increases the resell value.
Scarcity of a platform makes no sense. It's not intended to be limited.

Amiibos are collectables. Scarcity adds to the desirability because it increases the resell value.

yeah i mean i thought the whole thing was that they make money on software sales. Seems idiotic to deliberately limit your install base.

CoolNumber9

I'll admit it, stock shortages sort of have me interested in buying one. But more because my friend has one, it actually was pretty good. But I'm really only interested in Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so I'm not really in any hurry.

Me too!! Stock situation was completely working on me and when I found one I snagged it. So happy I did too!! I freaking love it, being a huge fan of the vita. It's much better than I first thought it would be!!

Grey Switch sitting right on the shelf in Asda, Cumbernauld.... nearly bought it but decided to wait a few months for a few more games.

Should have brought it and traded it in to CEX for a £20 profit ;)

Still was surprised to see someone happily pay £350 for a Neon one in CEX Plymouth today so guess demand really is high

Kar L

amiibos are not collectables. Nintendo has never said that production of them was going to be limited. Their value is not supposed to appreciate.

BNGames

xF5xh0y.jpg

TDLink

But releasing it at weekends screws over shift workers?

Shifts mean you don't really have a regular schedule. So some weekends you may be working, some you may not. And even if you are it's likely only morning or night or w/e rather than all day. Same with week days, because with shifts pretty much every day is the same. Obviously if you're working at like a breakfast restaurant or something your Saturday and Sunday morning are going to be for sure scheduled, but I feel that's a small percentage of people compared to all of the people who absolutely 100% work every Tuesday.

For those of us who work M-F and can't line up for these low shipments, are we just not supposed to get one for a few months?

Persona7

Banned
Shifts mean you don't really have a regular schedule. So some weekends you may be working, some you may not. And even if you are it's likely only morning or night or w/e rather than all day. Same with week days, because with shifts pretty much every day is the same. Obviously if you're working at like a breakfast restaurant or something your Saturday and Sunday morning are going to be for sure scheduled, but I feel that's a small percentage of people compared to all of the people who absolutely 100% work every Tuesday.

For those of us who work M-F and can't line up for these low shipments, are we just not supposed to get one for a few months?

Just yesterday there was a chance during the weekend.

Man this is annoying. I won 400$ last night playing poker and hit up every store in my area to try to find one but I guess I'm just gonna spend it on weed and a PS4 game. Thanks Nintendo.

Man I want a switch hella bad.

TDLink

Just yesterday there was a chance during the weekend.

I'm aware. One retailer, Toys'r'us, who do not have locations everywhere got ~5 units per store sold them yesterday, yes. The rest, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Gamestop, Amazon... are all getting them in on the weekdays though and seem like they will continue to. It's a problem.

My post was originally a reply to:

Most brick and mortar retailers get stock Tuesday. It's not that hard if you can get out early that day.

And I'm just pointing out how ridiculous that statement is for the average person.

Looks like it's selling through its total allotment. Online is barren and while I was out today stopped by a Best Buy, Target, and GameStop just to see what their Switch sections looked like. Everything was sold out at them I clouding systems and the majority of accessories. Games themselves seemed to still be in inventory though

did you seriously spend the time and gas to stop by 3 stores just to check thier stock situation with no monetary exchange of time and gas?

marijuana-but-why-o.gif

did you seriously spend the time and gas to stop by 3 stores just to check thier stock situation with no monetary exchange of time and gas?
I've been checking too. Not nearly as much as I was when I was looking for myself but A) I'm curious B) I'd like to help out a Gaffer in the process if I can and C) I might get one for my brother. I was ebaying old Nintendo stuff and he wanted the DS and Mario Kart DS soooo... yeah. At the same time neither one of us cared too much for MK8 on WiiU so I don't know. If I find one in the wild and my bro doesn't want it, I'd sell it to a gaffer at cost. I'm also already on the lookout for blue joycons for someone. They had a bunch around here when I didn't want them but another gaffer does and now they're nowhere to be seen. 😑

To all my East coast buddies, another huge fucking cargo boat in the harbor here in East Boston. Expect stock probably this week in Massachusetts areas.

The Target stock checker seems to be pretty accurate. Stores are only getting 3 to 6 at a time but if you check in the morning and it says they have 'limited stock', they will most likely have them. If you work a 9 to 5 job, just find a Target that opens at 7 am and get there fifteen to minutes early and you are almost guaranteed a unit.

Alchemy

So whats up with iStockNow showing basically every GameStop as having stock? Is it some online bundle crap because I don't believe any of it :<

Is it possible to buy these from online retailers overseas and have them shipped to the U.S.? If so, how long is the delivery time? I need one by this Friday on the east coast. Preferably, the Neon console...

Kar L

to be honest, I'm shocked at how many (very minor) restocks have been happening at various retailers over the last seven days.
The Target stock checker seems to be pretty accurate. Stores are only getting 3 to 6 at a time but if you check in the morning and it says they have 'limited stock', they will most likely have them. If you work a 9 to 5 job, just find a Target that opens at 7 am and get there fifteen to minutes early and you are almost guaranteed a unit.
That's some very good advice.

Faiz

My switch came!

And the left Joycon is a train wreck. :(

I've had the dock in three different locations, minor changes but still gets interference like crazy. Don't even have to do anything extreme, I'm just sitting holding the joycon in the grip resting in my lap. Have to hold it up to keep it from losing signal.

Yay :/

Unicorn

My switch came!

And the left Joycon is a train wreck. :(

I've had the dock in three different locations, minor changes but still gets interference like crazy. Don't even have to do anything extreme, I'm just sitting holding the joycon in the grip resting in my lap. Have to hold it up to keep it from losing signal.

Yay :/

i noticed mine got worse when i switched to 5ghz signal wifi. i may try airplane mode or switching to 2.4 again to see if that affects anything.

Saw a Switch in the wild for the first time today (US).

Was shopping at Wal-Mart and decided to take a glance at the case and they had two Grey Switches.

Bigcanoe

Neo Member
I got my neon from Walmart. The AC adapter was dead out of the box. I was able to find one at GameStop and now I'm playing Zelda! I called Nintendo and they are sending me a replacement adapter. I am pleased with their responsiveness.

My buddies grey came today from Amazon prime.

Two more shoppers off the market!

TLZ

Banned
Like i cant believe there are people arguing against this.

Now im not claiming Nintendo is doing it on purpose, but the idea that something is harder to obtain, makes people want something more.

Now to wait for this one guy to come in and say, well this is rare and i dont want it.

But Nintendo has publicly announced increasing supply to 16 mil for first year in addition to 2 mil for first month. That is a lot.

How exactly is that scarce or rare? They were public about their first shipment probably testing waters coming after the Wii u and also being in March and not wanting to risk flooding the market and loosing money.

I think it's all you guys creating this hype Olympics among yourselves now. Soon enough all of this will be forgotten.

woodland

Anyone know if Gamestop is still doing that 50% trade in bonus towards Switch/Switch stuff? Was going to trade in my Wii U + games for a Switch on Amazon but the stock there is impossible/crazy expensive. If Gamestops still doing that deal think there's some one's around me that have a few Switches still in stock.

Anyone know if Gamestop is still doing that 50% trade in bonus towards Switch/Switch stuff? Was going to trade in my Wii U + games for a Switch on Amazon but the stock there is impossible/crazy expensive. If Gamestops still doing that deal think there's some one's around me that have a few Switches still in stock.

That deal is over, but they are offering $150 credit for the Wii u

Fox Mulder

Most brick and mortar retailers get stock Tuesday. It's not that hard if you can get out early that day.

Stores get trucks and vendor deliveries all week. Even new things released on Tuesdays sit in the back with street dates.

When I worked at target, they got trucks Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. So stock hunters hit up stores each truck morning.

LordKano

I'll start looking for a Switch in stores by the end of this week (Belgium). I already got a Zelda, used but almost untouched, for 45&#8364;, which will help me save a few bucks.

It's out of stock in most major retailers here. I'll look into small stores and the ones I know nobody interested in video games go to.

Haunted

Not being able to get a Switch is one thing, but fuck me, Pro Controllers seem to be out everywhere here (Germany). None online and the two major stores I went to (Mediamarkt/Saturn) didn't have any, either.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I bought mine on a whim yesterday almost solely based on the fact that it's super rare. I will either sell it, or give to my kids for Christmas. Either way, wouldn't have bought it yesterday for either scenario if the shelves were full.

If you resell it Nintendo will not make any extra money. If you would have bought one eventually Nintendo doesn't really make extra money.

If price of Second hand market goes up then those gains dont go to Nintendo. It means they underpriced their system at current supply capabilities.

Still waiting for some math showing how deliberately Undershpping a product makes you extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom