• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I can't use my credit cards on the PS Store, and their customer service is useless

Troy

Banned
Ew, prepaid cards in 2015.

If you're scared about card details for whatever reason, you can opt to not store them in Sony's database and enter them every time. I'm pretty sure they support Paypal anyway.

What's wrong with prepaid cards? I buy mine when they're 80 dollars on Ebay via Paypal. Show me how I can save 20 dollars per 100 spent using my CC directly on PSN, and I'll give it a shot.

Sjefen

Strange thing is it my credit card works on PS4, but on the Vita it doesn't work, and it's the same card I have registrated to my account.

I tried buying something yesterday from the web store and it also didn't work, having worked many times before since the web store launched. I've been buying from PSN for over 8 or so years, I'd be pretty annoyed if it stopped working.

It worked from my PS4 though.

Another issue I've been having for the past year or so is this. I don't keep my credit card stored on PSN anymore, not since you know what. Instead I put it on when I buy something and immediately remove it. What happens now is, I go to buy something, put in my card info and it fails. I get an error forcing me to repeat it again, then it works. Minor issue and annoyance but still an example of something wrong on their end.

Machina

Banned
Shit, I tried to renew my PS Plus yesterday with my credit card and it kept on getting knocked back. I thought it was maxed out.

Aru

Yeah, happened to me during a sale recently too. Was told that my bank was rejecting the payment. Whatever. Last time something like that happened to me, the website told me it was my bank's fault and my bank told me it was the website's fault. I didn't bother and payed using a different method.

DJ_Lae

Mine worked off and on for years, which made no sense as I wasn't changing the billing information. So I just started dumping money from Paypal into there, as if Sony can't even get my card billed correctly it doesn't inspire much confidence for me to let the number sit on their servers.

RexNovis

Banned
Wait so this isn't just my bank being a typical pain in the ass whilst I'm living overseas? Mine has worked fine for over a year and all the sudden it stated giving me error messages yesterday. What the fuck? Sony started a flash sale while their payment servers are on the fritz. What kind of sense does that make. This is bullshit.

Just started happening to me during the flash sale. Now I get to test whether Costco Canada can get electronic PSN credit codes to me quickly enough. What a pain.

All my purchasing methods are also fucked.

I go here for psn cards. 100℅ legit with code delivered in a min or so. I'm in Canada as well.

Pcgamesupply.com

hemo memo

Gold Member
I can't use my current credit card for my main account in the country I live in now because of work. Although it's a GCC country and the currency difference is the the same.

Sony's response?

¯_(ツ)_/‎¯‎

UberTag

Wait so this isn't just my bank being a typical pain in the ass whilst I'm living overseas? Mine has worked fine for over a year and all the sudden it stated giving me error messages yesterday. What the fuck? Sony started a flash sale while their payment servers are on the fritz. What kind of sense does that make. This is bullshit.
Yep, this is a Sony issue. Has nothing to do with your bank.
They want to make it incredibly difficult for you to give them your money and have done absolutely nothing to correct a known issue for YEARS.

Snakey125

Mine stopped working years ago for no reason at all. This was before the hack and I don't trust giving them my info at all now.

Just use a pre-paid or buy codes from Amazon or pcgamesupply.

This was a big, infuriating problem for me for all of last week. I ended up buying pre-paid cards off of Amazon since none of my cards or Paypal accounts worked. I was planning on bringing awareness to it on Podcast Beyond when we record the next episode, especially after finding out a bunch of people in the Beyond Facebook group had the same issues recently.

LET US GIVE YOU OUR MONEY, SONY.

Nbz

This was a big, infuriating problem for me for all of last week. I ended up buying pre-paid cards off of Amazon since none of my cards or Paypal accounts worked. I was planning on bringing awareness to it on Podcast Beyond when we record the next episode, especially after finding out a bunch of people in the Beyond Facebook group had the same issues recently.

LET US GIVE YOU OUR MONEY, SONY.

Hi Brian! <3

Ive had this issue since the ps4 launched, no cards i use work. Just started buying pan cards from amazon, actually have bought less on psn cause its a hassle

I use a debit/credit card through PayPal. I had the same issue over a year ago. I really wish Sony put the R&D funds from VR into PSN.

Some things people complain about aren't that serious but there are other things where you just wouldn't expect it to be so messed up.

JP

Seems to be working OK in the UK, bought Zombie Vikings about an hour ago. Saving it for Christmas though! :)

Payment issues started for me about five days ago, shortly after the "two hour" maintenance carried out in the morning here in Ireland. My card is completely fine, no locks on anything, so it's definitely on Sony's end. Can't make a single transaction, even using the PS4. It's frustrating. "Pre-paid" cards are not a solution in this case as they're not exactly a luxury in some countries.

This issue needs a signal boost (media, game sites etc.), as it's Sony's fault this is happening, and the fact that the payment issues are widespread and yet it's being ignored, is just going to prolong the problem without any solution, or any "excuse" from Sony.

The EU Playstation forums are full of threads regarding payment issues as well problems redeeming cards, and every time one is posted, sooner or later, an MVP (that stands for Most Valued Playstationer) will tell you it's all your fault, you caused your account to lock through attempting to buy something and you should wait for two weeks, missing all the offers and sales etc..

Pretty cool.

daegan

This kind of thing has happened to me before too, when a card expired and I got a replacement with the same number but different expiration and security code. They were completely useless; blaming my bank (despite me using the same card for everything else) and suggesting Paypal or prepaid cards, neither of which I wanted to use.

After that whole shitstorm with the PSN servers years ago I don't know why anyone would want to use their cards. Use pre-paid, people, and save yourself the hassle if something goes wrong again.

After that whole shitstorm with the PSN servers years ago I don't know why anyone would want to use their cards. Use pre-paid, people, and save yourself the hassle if something goes wrong again.

As mentioned before, not all regions offer pre-paid cards, and considering that users from different countries are reporting problems, the issue seems to be global among individual accounts.

Sez

Would you pay $55us for a $50us prepaid card? NO? This is a good reason to use credit cards when you have a mexican PSN for example, its a lot cheaper.

Damn just spent the past half hour trying to buy the season pass for disgaea 5, but NOPE it just said there was an error.
NVM it finally went through guess it hates Paypal.

Raptor

Same thing happened to me on saturdaym I wanted to buy MEtro Redux but couldnt cause it didnt accepted my card, the weird thing is that Sony Entertainment charged me twice teh ammount of a dollar, makes no sense to me, thiefs.

Had to use my paypal.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
They are doing you a favor by not accepting your CC, you are better off using a prepaid card on PSN.

Would you pay $55us for a $50us prepaid card? NO? This is a good reason to use credit cards when you have a mexican PSN for example, its a lot cheaper.
Buy them from amazon.

Sez

They are doing you a favor by not accepting your CC, you are better off using a prepaid card on PSN.

Buy them from amazon.

PSN prepaid cards are REGION LOCKED.

If you buy Mexican PSN cards you pay 10% extra than if you pay with your credit card directly at the PSN store.

spectator

I'm so glad some attention is coming to this (if not from Sony). It hit me after the last weekly PSN reset and I've gotten a misinformation run-around from Sony support since. I'd be a lot happier to be patient with their issue if they would give me a consistent straight answer.

I wasn't able to use my credit card starting at least since yesterday (I hadn't used it since March prior). It's a Playstation card too, which gets point multipliers for PSN purchases. So 'use PSN prepaid cards' isn't an acceptable option for me unless they get the benefit too. Sony needs to either fix the issue or I'll just borrow some games from a friend's accounts.

Oneself

It's been this way for me for over 5 years and they can't / won't do shit. I will forever buy pre-paid cards...
And it all started when I changed my CC expiration date... After spending well over 2000$ worth of content with the same credit card since the PS3 launch...

Sez

It's a Playstation card too, which gets point multipliers for PSN purchases. So 'use PSN prepaid cards' isn't an acceptable option for me unless they get the benefit too.

It's incredible that we have to "defend" why we use credit cards on the PSN store instead of focusing on the actual topic. Why GAF allow this? Every thread about troubles with the PSN store a bunch of people starts derailing the thread with "use PSN cards" "its good" "we should be thankful the store blocked our cards".

nded

If you buy Mexican PSN cards you pay 10% extra than if you pay with your credit card directly at the PSN store.

A lot the advice you're going to get basically boils down to "live in the U.S."

Heimbeck

Banned
I have never had a problem with my card but I tried to download something the other day (that I had already purchased) and it said the content is unavailable.

I think the PS4/PS3 are great, but there's some dumb stuff Sony really needs to sort out.

It's incredible that we have to "defend" why we use credit cards on the PSN store instead of focusing on the actual topic. Why GAF allow this? Every thread about troubles with the PSN store a bunch of people starts derailing the thread with "use PSN cards" "its good" "we should be thankful the store blocked our cards".

I'm okay with people offering an alternative workaround, so long as they accept and understand that there being a workaround does not excuse the issue. Sony needs to fix it, and they're not going to feel incentivized if everyone just rolls over by relying on prepaid cards. Basically, I have a credit card, I would like to use it, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to.

Also I'm not sure why people are concerned with a security breach. My CCs all have fraud protection. If someone jacks my account then that's between Visa and Sony, not me.

Logged into GAF to see if anyone else is getting this problem, seems I'm not alone. Just tried to buy something via the Playstation store on my laptop and kept getting an error message.

data

My card didn't work either, so I went and bought a prepaid card, and that didn't work either, so I had to call their customer service and they were being so difficult just 'cause I couldn't remember what birth date I had put on there, but after 20 minutes, they sent me an e-mail where I had to attach the proof that I bought it, but they didn't even notify me that they'd put the money into my account, thought they'd send me a new code, but 2 days passed before I realized they just put the money into my profile without even notifying me.

Had the same issue trying to preorder tales of zesteria last week. Ultimately just bought some prepaid cards, but it's still annoying as fuck

K' Dash

where are you from OP? international cards are not accepted by PSN.

The easy way is to buy prepaid cards in amazon, I would not recommend to keep your cards on PSN/Xbox Live anyway.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

My bad, I misread and thought you were in Mexico using the US PSN, which if it were the case, amazon is the way to go.

A lot the advice you're going to get basically boils down to "live in the U.S."
Or use the US store.

MrDaravon

Yup, this just hit me today as well. The exact same card worked fine before (as in within the last week), now it's not declining it but it's saying the card isn't valid. The balance on the card is considerably more than fine, I verified that there's no weird hold or anything going on on the credit card side of things and I used the card elsewhere afterwards no problems. What in the actual fuck Sony.

Both purchase by CC and Paypal stopped working for me last Monday. This has happened before and it sorted itself out after a long while. I just bought codes online via Amazon to add to my wallet but it's annoying that this happens in the first place.

Top Bottom