• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I can't use my credit cards on the PS Store, and their customer service is useless

n0razi

Paypal or prepaid card... i avoid using credit cards whenever possible since you hear of these companies getting hacked left and right

Malreyn

Came into this thread because I was trying to buy something from the PlayStation store website at work and spent the past hour talking to my credit card company trying to see if it was something on my end. I come here to find out it's been an issue since last week, helps find some relief to know I'm not the only one.

It's been seven days now, and still no official response from Sony, and absolutely no coverage from games media. I even tipped off a few gaming websites about this, and as of today, not a single article has been written up on this. Even got a reply from a site, yet there is no article since.
IT'S A MAJOR WIDESPREAD ISSUE, NOT AN ISOLATED CASE.
The fact that more and more people are showing up with the same problem makes that even more evident.

OmegaDL50

It's been seven days now, and still no official response from Sony, and absolutely no coverage from games media. I even tipped off a few gaming websites about this, and as of today, not a single article has been written up on this. Even got a reply from a site, yet there is no article since.
IT'S A MAJOR WIDESPREAD ISSUE, NOT AN ISOLATED CASE.
The fact that more and more people are showing up with the same problem makes that even more evident.

Yep. I used to buy all of my stuff on PSN via my debit card associated with my bank account.

Whatever Sony did for their verification for CC's refuses to let me add funds to my PS Store wallet or make purchases.

The fact it worked in the past and doesn't work now is the strangest part, Also I typed my Debit card information exactly as is on my bank statement so the number and address information is correct. So the problem is clearly on Sony in this situation.

Yep. I used to buy all of my stuff on PSN via my debit card associated with my bank account.

Whatever Sony did for their verification for CC's refuses to let me add funds to my PS Store wallet or make purchases.

The fact it worked in the past and doesn't work now is the strangest part, Also I typed my Debit card information exactly as is on my bank statement so the number and address information is correct. So the problem is clearly on Sony in this situation.

Yup, same here. I've paid using card about 6 or 7 years, without a hitch (albeit the PSN hacks in 2010). It's completely bizarre how it would just start happening out of the blue. I've tried everything at this stage, including changing my address to match the one on my bank statement, and even adding password protection upon checkout, to see if it would go through. Nothing worked. It's a problem on Sony's end, and there's nothing we can do until they realise that this is a problem, and resolve said problem.

Liljagare

This is a wierd one, two years ago, I had a 8 month period where no card worked, period, then last fall, 3 months, no card worked, no idea why, but nothing worked.

Both of theese times it just started working again.

Now I had two weeks ago a three day period, where it just didn't work, then, it started working.

Works today too, but it makes no sense, and Sony can't say anything, my bank doesn't see anything.

Some troubleshooting would be nice to see from Sony!!

At least $30 so far. Since that's what I was trying to spend over the weekend but couldn't. I refuse to accept 'buy prepaid cards' as an answer, so they're not getting my money from those.

Why not? I refuse to give Sony my credit card information, they haven't proven themselves trustworthy in protecting that information or cooperating when an account with an attached card gets hacked and hundreds of dollars of FIFA points get charged to them. Prepaid cards are the way to go.

Hello thread. I had this problem. Nothing would work, tried several cards, tried paypal, nothing.

I emailed support. No response. Emailed again. No response.

I called support. They said there was no underlying problem but that they had blocked my account for multiple failed wallet funding attempts and it would clear up in a few days. BUT WHY DID THEY FAIL IN THE FIRST PLACE? No answer.

I waited a few days and it was all fixed.

Conclusion: They have a problem which they know about but don't want to publicise but will fix for you if you draw their attention to it by telephone.

Solution: Call support, wait a week. Try again.

Why not? I refuse to give Sony my credit card information, they haven't proven themselves trustworthy in protecting that information or cooperating when an account with an attached card gets hacked and hundreds of dollars of FIFA points get charged to them. Prepaid cards are the way to go.

Many reasons. The main being I have a Playstation Visa card that gets a point multiplier on PSN purchases. It'd be asinine for me to prefer another method of payment to one that nets me more points that I exchange for free things. I couldn't care less if Sony gets hacked and my credit card information stolen. We have fraud protection for a reason. I'm not accountable for paying anything due to Sony's security breach. It's between Sony and the banks. If your banks/cards are crappy where you're at and don't offer fraud protection then I'd understand the preference for prepaid cards. I don't live in that corner though.

This is annoying, both of my cards have been fine since forever, during the flash sale wouldn't work on the pc site.

Went and tried through my vita and it worked. No idea why.

Huh, so it's not just me? I tried buying some things on the store yesterday with the card I've always used and it kept telling me there's an error and to try again later.

I had the same problem. Ended up putting money in my PSN wallet and paying that way. A little frustrating.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You should never be using credit cards on PSN anyway. Have you paid no attention to the hacks over the recent years?

Buy a prepaid card off amazon or push purchases through PayPal.

psylah

Guys, at the end of last month (September), many credit card companies shipped out new credit cards to the majority of their customer base to comply with some sort of federal deadline (the new cards are chipped).

The new cards probably have a new expiration date, which might cause problems with services that have your old card numbers saved.

You should never be using credit cards on PSN anyway. Have you paid no attention to the hacks over the recent years?

Buy a prepaid card off amazon or push purchases through PayPal.

Will you people stop it with this? Many of us have fraud protection on credit cards. What do we lose from the hack? Nothing. If my card is used by someone else I file a fraudulent charge record and the bank deals with it. I pay nothing. I lose nothing.

I couldn't care less if Sony gets hacked and my credit card information stolen. We have fraud protection for a reason. I'm not accountable for paying anything due to Sony's security breach. It's between Sony and the banks. If your banks/cards are crappy where you're at and don't offer fraud protection then I'd understand the preference for prepaid cards. I don't live in that corner though.

What I care about is if my PSN account gets hacked and the hacker purchases things on my PSN account. Sony locks you out of your PSN account for months while they "investigate" the charges, which is unacceptable for me.

What I care about is if my PSN account gets hacked and the hacker purchases things on my PSN account. Sony locks you out of your PSN account for months while they "investigate" the charges, which is unacceptable for me.

Then Sony needs to fix that, not its customers. The onus isn't on us to find workarounds for their mistakes. The fact so many just roll over and accept it is rather sad.

Edit: Also you don't have to store your CC with them. You can opt to enter it on checkout.

Then Sony needs to fix that, not its customers. The onus isn't on us to find workarounds for their mistakes. The fact so many just roll over and accept it is rather sad.

I'm not sure what is "rolling over" about the one minute process of buying a prepaid code on Amazon is. I did the same thing on my 360 because of Microsoft's unscrupulous auto renewal policy as well.

Sweep14

There are security measures associated within psn profiles, limiting the number of purchases you can do at once, or during a certain period of time, with your credit card. I don't know the profiling pattern nor the thresholds used by SCE but it is designed to protect your accounts from fraud. It can be annoying at times seeing your CC being refused, especially because it gives you an error message instead of explaining you the security reason.

Edit: As those measures are associated with your profile, changing the CC or trying to use PayPal will fail. You need to use prepaid PSN cards or wait until you're unlocked.

UCBooties

I got locked out too on the web store. Interestingly enough I was still able to make purchases on the Vita store front. Got what I wanted from the sale but still disappointed they are having such widespread problems.

Grimsen

This happened to me a few months ago. One of my credit cards stopped working, and Sony's amazing security service blocked every other payment method I tried (other credit card, paypal). It was infuriating.

After chatting with customer support a few times, I was told to remove all payment methods from my account and wait 5 days. They also told me that any attempt to add a payment method during that 5 days resets their security protocol to another 5 days.

I waited 7 just to be safe, entered my original card, and it worked.

I'm not sure what is "rolling over" about the one minute process of buying a prepaid code on Amazon is. I did the same thing on my 360 because of Microsoft's unscrupulous auto renewal policy as well.

You're doing more work because of a company's incompetence. If that's not rolling over then I don't know what is. I don't waste my time on workarounds. If a company can't accommodate me then I cease to be their customers.

CyberChulo

I got the error when they tried to autopay my PSN renewal. I just went to renew it from the PS4 and it went through. Weird.

You're doing more work because of a company's incompetence. If that's not rolling over then I don't know what is. I don't waste my time on workarounds. If a company can't accommodate me then I cease to be their customers.

Sony would prefer me to have my credit card information in there because it makes impulse buying much easier. Because of their policies I don't put my card information in, limiting my impulse buy potential because of the extra step it takes for me to buy something. I probably would have bought Everybody's Gone to the Rapture on the last flash sale, but I didn't because I'd have to add more credit to my account which gave me time to think about my massive backlog. Sony's loss.

Sony would prefer me to have my credit card information in there because it makes impulse buying much easier. Because of their policies I don't put my card information in, limiting my impulse buy potential because of the extra step it takes for me to buy something. I probably would have bought Everybody's Gone to the Rapture on the last flash sale, but I didn't because I'd have to add more credit to my account which gave me time to think about my massive backlog. Sony's loss.

Actually I spoke with support and, at least this agent, preferred and recommend for me to use a prepaid cards instead of a credit card from now on. The reason being that it won't be declined. So not only is that an admission they're aware it's an issue, it's a suggestion that I fix it instead of them.

spectator

There are security measures associated within psn profiles, limiting the number of purchases you can do at once, or during a certain period of time, with your credit card. I don't know the profiling pattern nor the thresholds used by SCE but it is designed to protect your accounts from fraud.

I don't know the profiling pattern either, but somehow I doubt that one purchase attempt in a week should be sufficient frequency to activate a fraud-protection measure. This is a system error(s), not a security measure working as intended.

I think the issue has to do with how Sony stores addresses. I've noticed in the past they reversed my address line 1 and 2 (so apartment number showed in the first line). I may have noticed that and thought "that's not right" and corrected it. But since they stored it incorrectly it won't pass a check with the CC company. After a few attempts it just completely locks your account for a certain period.

This is my theory anyway. I hadn't made a purchase for several months, then failed on Sunday, then it wouldn't even allow me to use paypal.

PBY

Banned
Hooooly crap. I feel your pain OP.

Had this happen to me a few months back, totally baffling. Never had a CC issue, cards were not expired, called my bank/CC company no issues.

Definitely a PS issue, and it sucks because there was no fix. Literally just had to wait it out, and one day it worked out of nowhere. Baffling.

jorgeton

Have the same issue. Card was fine a few weeks ago but started acting up last week. My address matches perfectly with my bank info so not sure what the problem is. Had to buy a PSN code off amazon. It's been a real pain in the ass.

PBY

Banned
Have the same issue. Card was fine a few weeks ago but started acting up last week. My address matches perfectly with my bank info so not sure what the problem is. Had to buy a PSN code off amazon. It's been a real pain in the ass.

Buckle up, its just gonna be fucked for a while. Then - if you have the same problem I did - one day it will just magically work.

5taquitos

Had this problem last week, debit card and paypal both stopped working. There were a few pending charges on my statement from Sony. After a few days, they disappeared and everything started working again.

Paypal randomly stopped working for me around the start of September... when I was trying to buy MGS V on a Saturday night to enjoy my weekend. Ended up wasting my Saturday night trying to fix it and not buying MGS V until the next morning. This is on a PSN and PS4 that has 100% only digital titles bought through Paypal on PSN. I even then transferred money to my Paypal account to give it a balance and it still wouldn't work. It even gave me some error about not having my credit card info updated (I've never even had a credit card associated with PSN; been buying digital games purely through Paypal since the PS3). In the end, I couldn't fix it. Had to go buy pre-paid cards. Couple weeks later (the balance on Paypal back to $0), it randomly starts working again.

I googled about it and there were a lot of anecdotal stories saying the same thing.

I'm giving up for now. Removed all payment methods, signed out, cleared cache and cookies. Just going to lame it out until there is a resolve, or for a few days anyway.

I have spoken to someone from PlayStation EU support. What they have told me is this:

My payments were stopped by the (AVS) Address Verification System, which checks that the address of the credit/debit card is exactly identical, INCLUDING capital letters.
The guy I was speaking to wishes this was more apparent to customers, however he has no control over what information is posted about Sony, which is, without a doubt, horrendous, considering this is a huge issue.
A large number of calls regarding this issue have been placed with support, according to the guy.
As a result of the AVS stopping my payment the first time, further attempts to pay for any items have now put me in a position where my card is on fraud detection, and I have been asked to use pre-paid cards (which are not possible to buy online as digital codes here in Ireland for a minimum of 7 days. I have about 20+ missed charges over the course of the past seven days, so I'm assuming every attempt will further extend the suspension period.

So, check your card details, match them with your billing address or residential address, and lame it out based on how many missed charges you have in your transaction history, I guess.

This does NOT, however, excuse Sony from goofing up and not letting their customers know of this change. Not one bit.

Freddo

I'm having this issue too. I've used my debit card on the Playstation Store successfully for 2+ years and it haven't expired yet, but today it doesn't want to work. Sigh.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Good guy Sony, not letting you use CC. /s

I had the same problem. I just linked my paypal instead.

Griss

This happened to me earlier this year (September) with no explanation. I put in a ticket on their customer support service and they resolved it.

This was the email I got back.

Thank you for contacting PlayStation Support.

As you have successfully confirmed your account details, I have been able to investigate your purchase related activity on your account. I can see that multiple attempts have been made in attempt to fund your SEN wallet and as a result, our security systems have prevented further transactions being made as the activity is deemed as suspicious. Please wait 48 hours before attempting to make the transaction again, furthermore, we would advise making the transaction on your PS4 rather than the WebStore until the issue has been resolved.

If you need further assistance with this or if you have any other questions regarding PlayStation products or services, please call PlayStation Support using the contact details below or reply to this e-mail. Quote [[150831-000434]] and one of our team will be happy to help you.

Thanks,

Stuart
PlayStation Support

That cleared it right up. No one online said anything about this. I've no idea how it happened. But putting a ticket in online solved it for me.

This happened to me earlier this year (September) with no explanation. I put in a ticket on their customer support service and they resolved it.

This was the email I got back.

That cleared it right up. No one online said anything about this. I've no idea how it happened. But putting a ticket in online solved it for me.

I sent a ticket to customer service over here (Ireland), and they just told me to ring them. They told me to wait 7 days before re-adding a payment method due to amount of missed charges in my transaction history (it's a lot). Two days in now, going to see how it goes.

There is STILL no word from Sony on this matter though, and more and more people are running into this issue unaware of the requirement to have identical billing address / credit card address or face getting account blacklisted by fraud protection.

So I'm going to start using pre-paid cards, but since it is almost the holiday season where are the best place to pick up discounted PSN or XBL cards?

I haven't been able to buy anything from the web store for at least 2 months, but I can buy with no problems if I get on my ps4, PS3, or vita directly. It's annoying that it doesn't work the way it should but for me it means I just can't shop while I'm not at home. Have any of you tried to buy anything from the store on the console?

Mossybrew

Had same issue here when I first bought my PS4 over a year ago. Tried three different cards none were accepted. Just been using Paypal ever since.

Argyle

I haven't been able to buy anything from the web store for at least 2 months, but I can buy with no problems if I get on my ps4, PS3, or vita directly. It's annoying that it doesn't work the way it should but for me it means I just can't shop while I'm not at home. Have any of you tried to buy anything from the store on the console?

I'm in the same situation. I noticed that my card wasn't working last week on the web store but was able to buy stuff on the actual consoles...

Top Bottom