• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I'm having weight-loss surgery

Thabass

On Friday, September 19th, I completed all of the pre-requisite items I needed for my Gastric Sleeve surgery I needed to do.

This includes:
• 2+ Dietitian appointments
• 3+ Psych appointments.
• 3 weeks of group therapy.
• Multiple labs and a lot of blood given.
• Regular weight loss (20 lbs)

On Monday, October 28th, I'll be going under the knife and finally reducing my stomach about 60 - 70% in order to curb my eating habits and to lose a ton of weight fast. It's been a long, hard road. Not just a matter of months, but years of trying different diets and exercise. But, in the end, I'm glad I did it and gained a lot more knowledge about myself and my body.

The road is just beginning, though, after surgery is when the fun begins. I'll have one more update prior to the surgery date and then multiple during the 24 hours at the hospital.

I honestly can't wait for this surgery to happen and lose all this weight I put on over the years and so I can become more active and doing more things I like doing. Like going to the gym (which I do actually like to do) and playing sports.

Best of luck man! I hope it all goes well for you!

In regards to the long road ahead diet/food wise, I recommend starting an internal dialogue about food if you haven't already. If your are an emotional eater like me than you probably reward yourself with food and such. The biggest thing that helped me lose weight when I really needed to was retraining my brain to look at food as fuel and not reward. I would repeat that to myself anytime I had a craving for something shitty. It is hard at first but once you start changing the way you look at food it becomes much easier to eat right.

If this isn't something you have struggles with please disregard! I don't like to preach but wanted to share what I found to be helpful on my journey. :messenger_heart: 👊

On Friday, September 19th, I completed all of the pre-requisite items I needed for my Gastric Sleeve surgery I needed to do.

This includes:
• 3+ Psych appointments.

On Monday, October 28th, I'll be going under the knife and finally reducing my stomach about 60 - 70% in order to curb my eating habits and to lose a ton of weight fast. It's been a long, hard road. Not just a matter of months, but years of trying different diets and exercise. But, in the end, I'm glad I did it and gained a lot more knowledge about myself and my body.

The road is just beginning, though, after surgery is when the fun begins. I'll have one more update prior to the surgery date and then multiple during the 24 hours at the hospital.

I honestly can't wait for this surgery to happen and lose all this weight I put on over the years and so I can become more active and doing more things I like doing. Like going to the gym (which I do actually like to do) and playing sports.
It helps. I went from 370 to 250. Back to 300 again but thats wc fault. I have no meds and i can barely walk now. So I've spent a lot of time in bed without moving around. But the meals are real. I used to eat six to eight sausage mcmuffins in one sitting. Now i only eat one. It helps immensely but i still wonder if i could have lost the weight myself if i wasn't injured.

Thabass

Best of luck man! I hope it all goes well for you!

In regards to the long road ahead diet/food wise, I recommend starting an internal dialogue about food if you haven't already. If your are an emotional eater like me than you probably reward yourself with food and such. The biggest thing that helped me lose weight when I really needed to was retraining my brain to look at food as fuel and not reward. I would repeat that to myself anytime I had a craving for something shitty. It is hard at first but once you start changing the way you look at food it becomes much easier to eat right.

If this isn't something you have struggles with please disregard! I don't like to preach but wanted to share what I found to be helpful on my journey. :messenger_heart: 👊

This is something that I'm still trying to get over, but it has been helping a lot. It's how I've lost 20+ pounds so far. Definitely I don't know if I think of it as fuel, but I definitely don't think of it as a reward.

And thank you all for the support! <3

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I respect the decision to under-go surgery, it will become difficult at times but I think you'll be alright.

I was considering the same thing, but I am going to try and not resort to surgery to fix my weight problem. Best of luck to you, though. I hope you lose the weight you want to lose, and you go on to live a kickass life! Keep up updated. I really want to know how things work out for you. I am in the middle of changing my lifestyle in order to lose weight, but it’s going to be a long, hard road ahead of me. I hope you don’t have to struggle with your transition.

Cato

Banned

This includes:
• 3+ Psych appointments.

That sounds awesome man.
Good luck and my best hopes and wishes for you taking this step.

In addition from going to the gym, do try getting an interest in cooking as well.
It is a lot of work but it is fun to create a great meal from raw ingredients.
All these processed foods and all the sugar people eat these days is deadly man.

I root for you. God speed.

Thabass

Good luck with everything. The feeling you have when the weight comes off and you can live life properly again--hold onto it.

Thanks, dude. I can't wait to feel what that feels like.

Good luck my dude!
Take before and after photos for yourself!

I did not when I started my journey and regret it.

That's definitely happening. I'm a photographer, so that's something I always wanted to do and will be doing it soon!

I was considering the same thing, but I am going to try and not resort to surgery to fix my weight problem. Best of luck to you, though. I hope you lose the weight you want to lose, and you go on to live a kickass life! Keep up updated. I really want to know how things work out for you. I am in the middle of changing my lifestyle in order to lose weight, but it’s going to be a long, hard road ahead of me. I hope you don’t have to struggle with your transition.

Yeah, don't do it until you know you're ready. I've actually been through all of this before, but at the last minute decided it wasn't right at the time and wanted to lose it myself. It didn't work out and here I am. Good luck to you!

That sounds awesome man.
Good luck and my best hopes and wishes for you taking this step.

In addition from going to the gym, do try getting an interest in cooking as well.
It is a lot of work but it is fun to create a great meal from raw ingredients.
All these processed foods and all the sugar people eat these days is deadly man.

I root for you. God speed.

Yeah, I've started to learn how to cook more nowadays. Even the simplest of meals is a blessing and healthy at the moment. The better I get, the more delicious the meals are getting. So there is that.

Ibara

Massive respect and good luck ! My weight loss journey started around 2 years ago and I wish I had a before picture, make sure you take one !
Learning to cook definitely kept me motivated and even became a hobby of sorts to this day. One day at a time man

Thabass

UPDATE

I've since had the surgery hence my barely being here in the last couple of months. Surgery went well and I'm already seeing great results.

I'm now down 70 pounds since starting the whole procedure. I've lost 36 pounds since surgery and I'm already down one size.

To say I needed this surgery is an understatement and I can't wait to see more results as time goes on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
UPDATE

I've since had the surgery hence my barely being here in the last couple of months. Surgery went well and I'm already seeing great results.

I'm now down 70 pounds since starting the whole procedure. I've lost 36 pounds since surgery and I'm already down one size.

To say I needed this surgery is an understatement and I can't wait to see more results as time goes on.

Great news! You'll be doing parkour in no time, at this rate.

zeorhymer

UPDATE

Don't ever forget, surgery isn't the miracle cure. Keep on the healthy diet and exercise. Wishing you the best.

Thabass

Did they make you pee through a catheter? That’s my biggest fear with surgery.

Almost actually. The day I was going home I wasn't going and then they said I was going to have to put one in me before I could leave. But, I had already gone once already so they just let me go home.

I had to travel an hour and a half back to where my mom lives and when I got home...out it came. If I didn't go that night, I would have had to return to the hospital.

Thank god I went.

God Enel

Yep. Once I get my regular paycheck again, I'll be going back to the gym hardcore. Thanks for the well wishes!

Bruh when you go back to the gym. We need more members in the fit gaf community. And I wanna see you there!

btw May I ask how much did you weigh before your surgery and how much is it now?

and I’m glad that you’re doing fine physically and mentally 👍🏼

Thabass

What have the changes to your mental state/hunger signals been like post surgery?

Oh most certainly. Some foods I no longer crave for. Things like fast food (other than pizza) are completely out of my mind. I'm also not getting the hunger spikes like I used to. I'm also not craving any crap foods like chips, cookies, cakes, or anything sweet of the sort. I do sometimes have the occasional wanting for ice cream, but I can rectify that with sugar free Popsicles (fudge and fruity flavored).

Mentally, I've been on an upswing too. I feel a lot better about myself and the more I see the weight go down, the happier I get. Not to mention I'm not as winded and get tired as much as I used to as well.

Bruh when you go back to the gym. We need more members in the fit gaf community. And I wanna see you there!

btw May I ask how much did you weigh before your surgery and how much is it now?

and I’m glad that you’re doing fine physically and mentally 👍🏼

Most certainly. Sounds like a plan.

I weighed 415lbs when I began the whole process. The day of surgery I weighed 381 and I'm currently 344 if that helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom