• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I'm having weight-loss surgery

I'm now down 70 pounds since starting the whole procedure. I've lost 36 pounds since surgery and I'm already down one size.
What's the rate that you dietist told you is safe? I heard it's a bit dangerous to lose weight too fast...

Anyway, great to hear you made progress...

Kenpachii

Losing weight fast isn't a issue. Problem is skin. U better of staying fat and losing weight on a slow pace because of that. Unless u plan to go under a knife or are extremely obese and skin will be a issue anyway.

Thabass

What's the rate that you dietist told you is safe? I heard it's a bit dangerous to lose weight too fast...

Anyway, great to hear you made progress...
Losing weight fast isn't a issue. Problem is skin. U better of staying fat and losing weight on a slow pace because of that. Unless u plan to go under a knife or are extremely obese and skin will be a issue anyway.

Pretty much this. Also this surgery doesn't make you lose weight too fast either. Yes, you do a good job of losing weight for sure, but it's not so fast that I'll have an issue with health. As Kenpachii Kenpachii said, my skin will be loose when I drop even more weight. It's not a problem for now, but I'd say in another 25 - 50 pounds it will be.

Bigrx1

Banned
Knew someone who went through this and they went from your weight to like 200 pounds at this point and it seemed to change their life. Like they are super positive and full of energy now. I've gotten pretty fat too and it is fucking a pain in the ass simply because of how much of a hassle it is to do anything like your fucking body is constantly in the way or annoying you whether it's tying shoes, showering, playing with the pet or whatever. Good luck.

Blade2.0

I'm currently 350. Lowest ever was 245. I constantly yo-yo when I diet. Maybe I should look into this. Been tired of being a fat guy since middle school.

Last edited:
I wish you luck but I would NEVER advise someone do weight loss surgery expect under the most extreme cases or medical conditions

Cato

Banned
Good luck mate. I hope to see you running on the beach and slaying women like Ron Jeremy by this time next year!

You lost almost 100 pounds already which is awesome.
Do you feel different? What are the day to day things that have changed so far?
Physically, mentally. I would love to hear how you proceed and all your small victories on the path to a good healthy weight.

odd_hatch

Pretty much this. Also this surgery doesn't make you lose weight too fast either. Yes, you do a good job of losing weight for sure, but it's not so fast that I'll have an issue with health. As Kenpachii Kenpachii said, my skin will be loose when I drop even more weight. It's not a problem for now, but I'd say in another 25 - 50 pounds it will be.
How open are you to try new things that would speed up your weight loss, and more importantly, your health?

I would recommend you look up Keto, Intermittent Fasting and Insulin resistance. There's new science coming out proving it's the only way the lose weight long term.

I tried all diets in the past, but only this one ever worked for me. And you're not even hungry, you just have to remove carbs out of the game. You can create all kinds of amazing foods without carbs.

First time I heard it it sounded a bit extreme, so I expect everyone to think I'm nuts. But the results are far too good for me to contain myself.

bati

Knew someone who went through this and they went from your weight to like 200 pounds at this point and it seemed to change their life.

Even smaller changes work like that. I went down about 25kg (55 lbs) in a year of going to the gym and it's night and day. I still want to lose another 10kg to reach my desired weight but it's already mindblowing how well I feel. The strength from weightlifting and the mental clarity that routine exercise brings are just extra cherries on top. It's so nice to have even levels of energy throughout the day rather than nearly falling asleep at your desk at work because your sugar levels spiked or tanked because you sleep and eat like shit.

Also, once you tune in your diet it is absolutely mindblowing how much difference seemingly small changes to macro ratios make when you find out what really works for you and where you were going wrong before.

Sadly, there's no magic recipe that works for everyone, fitness is a journey of self discovery and only you can judge what works for you and what doesn't. This goes for exercise and eating. But I really recommend finding a workout buddy or a group of them, or a trainer, anything to push you out of a comfort zone and make you push a little harder, if nothing else than to get a different perspective and try different things, otherwise you'll have a hard time actually finding out what works for you and what doesn't.

Sorry, but that's not true.
If you lose weight too fast it can lead to severe cardiovascular problems.

Read up on what Sumo wrestlers after their careers have to go through.

Your body needs time to adapt...

Last edited:

Kenpachii

That's because these guys have athletic heart syndrome. These guys are basically top sporters that have enlarged hearts. This is why its always bad for a top sporter to stop cold turkey with sporting. It can create massive issue's. And u can bet those obese people trying to throw eachother off a stage is top sport for their hearts, it's like a v12 engine going at full speed.

What this guy is getting is Gastric Sleeve surgery and probably isn't doing top sport.

Its typical that people lose real fast huge amount of weight because of it. Which isn't a issue. It even gets promoted by those company's. ( i think they stopped promoting it these days tho )

However what those shops don't tell you ( or didn't ), is that if you lose weight fast your skin isn't going to move with it. If you lose weight slow your skin is going to move with your body and recover for large part of being bloated. Skin is incredible especially if you are below the 30's on how it changes and shifts.

And skin will be your main fight once u lost weight. So better start taking care of it while you lose weight while u still can make a impact on it. Once its lose its lose forever.

U don't want to end up like this.

ad_205575915.jpg

U far rather want to end up like this.

Loose-Skin.JPG

Postpartum-Abs_Feat.jpg

Train muscles or do muscle training 5-6 days a week after getting a easy introduction obviously towards sports, drink tons and tons of water nothing else and lose slow amounts of weight. If your skin isn't moving stop losing weight for a month or two or even three then move further.

Will take you a year or two to lose the weight instead of a few months, but its totally worth it.

It doesn't matter how slowly you lose weight, when you've been *really* fat ou *will* have lose skin. But: I'd rather end up with lose skin than stay fat forever. Lose skin can be removed and even if you don't have the money, it'd be like wearing a trophy that always reminds yourself: you did it!

@op: congrats on your results so far, best of luck! I'm heavier than you and fighting weight loss without surgery. Doctors have recommend surgery to me, but it's just not something I want. Still, it'd be interesting to hear semi-regular updates of your way :]

Thabass

It doesn't matter how slowly you lose weight, when you've been *really* fat ou *will* have lose skin. But: I'd rather end up with lose skin than stay fat forever. Lose skin can be removed and even if you don't have the money, it'd be like wearing a trophy that always reminds yourself: you did it!

@op: congrats on your results so far, best of luck! I'm heavier than you and fighting weight loss without surgery. Doctors have recommend surgery to me, but it's just not something I want. Still, it'd be interesting to hear semi-regular updates of your way :]

Thanks! Good luck in your endeavor. The best advice I have for you is try to chew more (until it's liquid), have less carbs (don't eliminate, just reduce), and introduce more protein into your diet. I had to replace a meal with a protein shake and it dramatically made me lose weight pre-surgery. Once you've dropped the weight, introduce walking and the gym into your life as well. I'm going back to the gym (once I get paid now that I'm back at work) and I'll just be doing cardio for the first month or so.

Just don't give up, even when you think its hopeless.

Thabass

So, I just realized I haven't updated this thread in quite a while. Thanks to everyone who was concerned / supportive throughout this whole thing. Here's a new look at how I'm doing:

ypuUWiR.jpg

On the left was me a year ago in June.
On the right was me two days ago.

I'm down three sizes and still dropping! When you last saw me I was around 330 pound or so. I'm now currently 272 at last check (Yesterday).

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Awesome, you look great!

Now time to ditch the baggy shirt and something better fit to show off that new fucking body :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_bicep::messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Thabass

Whoa that's impressive! You look younger too.

Everyone always keeps saying this to me, but I always looked pretty young. The lines on my face now, to me, make me look older. lol

Hell Yea bro. I got those same pajama bottoms :messenger_sunglasses:

They so comfy!

Impressive stuff. How do you feel being so much lighter? Some insights would be nice.m :)What’s your goal?

I'll do a bigger post tomorrow or on Monday and give impressions on the weightloss. It feels insane to me how much better I feel though.

congratulations dude, looking good
Awesome, you look great!

Now time to ditch the baggy shirt and something better fit to show off that new fucking body :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_bicep::messenger_winking:

Thanks both! Also...I LITERALLY JUST BOUGHT THE SHIRT. It was supposed to be 2XL LOL.

Thabass Thabass
Congrats! I reckon you’ve already shaved 5-10 years off of your perceived age compared to last year 😮

Thanks! And hopefully it saved me even more than that. :)

Top Bottom