• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So just how were you supposed to hold a N64 Controller

878855-holy_n64.jpg

Motherfucking octopus be playing golden eye indeed.

I never owned an N64 but I'm 26 now and It's never made a lick of sense to me

Chris R

There were three ways to hold it... It's not rocket science.

Every single game except for Tony Hawk I played with left hand on middle stick, right on right.

Tony Hawk was left on D-pad, right on right.

You hold either the left or middle grip with your left hand depending on the controls of the game or what directional method you want to use.

It's not hard.

edit: I think the only people with the "lulz three handles how even" talk are the ones who have never actually played a 64 before, as seen in the OP.

Trevelyan

Banned
I really really loved the N64 controller. It was so comfortable. Anyway, you were supposed to hold it where you hand could comfortable push the Z trigger, so middle and right.

Shizzlee

Hold the middle for the control stick with the left hand. Hold the left for the d-pad with the left hand if you had to use that. Right hand was always on the right handle. Figured it out after about ten minutes of Super Mario 64 when I noticed the d-pad wasn't doing anything. I was like six.

This was never complicated. 99% of the time, you'd hold the middle prong with your left hand, resting your index finger on Z and your thumb on the analog stick. You'd hold the right prong with your right hand, resting your thumb on the face buttons and your index finger on, or near, R.

If you were playing a game that heavily used the D-Pad, then you'd hold the left prong, but that was rare.

Hilarion

Right hand on right prong, left hand on center prong.

If playing Mischief Makers, right hand on right prong, left hand on left prong.

I think that covers all eventualities.

georly

depended on the type of game

Yup.

Designed so that if a game used D-pad, you'd hold left + right or if joystick, you'd use middle/right.

This was a first draft. They hadn't thought a game would ever use both d-pad and joystick and that you'd want them to be convenient enough to access both.

pretty much this... depends on the game.

Nintendo-64-controller.jpg

I was going to ask what on earth kind of game would've used the left handed position, but the URL of your link answered my question. I had only ever played Sin and Punishment on a Wii Classic Controller, but that does make sense.

Oreoleo

"Home position" get rekt fuckin' righties.

You guys have some insane middle fingers...

It's true, I do have long fingers. Having my left hand on the middle prong always felt awkward as fuck cause I had to bend my thumb at such an extreme angle due to it's length.

SephLuis

I used to hold it all wrong and still do. My left hand would stay in front of the controller and I would use both my indicator and Thumb to control the stick. There was no need for L, so I didn't used it. And since I got big hands ever since I was a kid, my middle finger from the right hand was used for the Z Button.

It's a bizarre way of using it, but I was damn good at smash/mario kart/mario party, etc.

Right position 99% of the time.

One guy I used to know just held the joystick with his left fingers on the top and his right hand was on the right side where the buttons are - always thought that was weird. I remember him playing Mischief Makers and Mario 64 with it too.

Edit: He held the controller like this.

Top Bottom