• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So late to the party, I'll be here when the new one begins: Trauma Centre

So a good friend of mine managed to track me down a copy and I've completed it.

This game is absolutely amazing. Probably the only DS title I've enjoyed that's done the stylus bit absolutely right. The operations are incredibly fun to figure out. I heard some complaints about the Healing Touch, like "the Doctor goes all Goku Supersaiyan", but I felt it was well within the realm of possibility, rather than what I was imagining (vitals up 50 or something).

What I'm not getting was the complaints concerning difficulty. The hardest operations involved
Savato
, but it only took me about five or six tries to complete that, whereas the other operations took far less re-examination.

I did complete the game with 60% Cs (the rest being As), and I'm going through the challenge mode to S rank them all.

God this game is so fun.

At any rate, I'm incredibly hyped for Trauma Centre: Second Opinion. To say I'm excited is an understatement. The fact that Kaneko is doing the character designs is just a huge bonus. Am I ready doctor? YOU BET I AM. SCALPEL!

GO R&D1! YOU ROX!

I can't understand how anyone who loves "real games" doesn't absolutely adore this title. It's nigh perfect!

Am I ready doctor? YOU BET I AM. SCALPEL! LET'S BEGIN THIS PARTY ALREADY!

Naked Snake said:
I'm stuck on "Chapter 2, Episode 4: Awakening" :(

With the aneurysms? That's easy:
simply shrink them, then scalpel them but do not remove them. Once you've gotten all five of them under control, you can start removing and patching the patient up. If you have them scalpeled, their vitals don't drop.

I discovered that on the operation involving the three tumours. It's an awesome trick and the game expects you to utilize it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Glad you enjoy it. It is a really great game! Hard as nails towards the end to.

*Curse you Atlus! I will beat the sin missions someday!!*

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll play it at some point. The lukewarm reviews on the game kept me away. Also, Gyakuten Saiban's existence did a good job of doing the same.

TheTrin said:
I'll play it at some point. The lukewarm reviews on the game kept me away. Also, Gyakuten Saiban's existence did a good job of doing the same.

You need to get it: this game is easily among the best there is on the DS.

Hell, I'm buying a Wii at launch for this game. Even though the system is a rip-off!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
:bows to R&D1

definitely getting the Wii version even if Im not getting a Wii at launch (my sister is at least) anyway I'll borrow my sister copy, I remember sucking hard at this but I didnt play that much and I kind of rushed through it, didnt care about ranks (this was wayyyy before I got hooked with ranks in MMZero).

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:
This game is absolutely amazing. Probably the only DS title I've enjoyed that's done the stylus bit absolutely right.

At any rate, I'm incredibly hyped for Trauma Centre: Second Opinion. To say I'm excited is an understatement. The fact that Kaneko is doing the character designs is just a huge bonus.

I can't understand how anyone who loves "real games" doesn't absolutely adore this title.

Agreed entirely. I've been saying all the above for quite a long while now. :D

Trauma Center is fantastic, and Second Opinion looks like it'll be even better. Love the first, can't wait for the second -- which I expect to use the wiimote as fantastically and intuitively in application toward real gaming as the DS game did with the stylus.

TheTrin said:

Lukewarm reviews? Meh. Give the game a play, Trin -- it's fast-paced, challenging, arcade-style puzzle/action/simulation gaming, and it's extremely fun and innovative. Also, it's nothing at all like Gyakuten Saiban.

Dragona Akehi said:
With the aneurysms? That's easy:
simply shrink them, then scalpel them but do not remove them. Once you've gotten all five of them under control, you can start removing and patching the patient up. If you have them scalpeled, their vitals don't drop.

I discovered that on the operation involving the three tumours. It's an awesome trick and the game expects you to utilize it.

Oh thank you that's a great tip! I just tried it twice but still failed :( I was very close to finishing it on the second try though, I think I'll get it next time.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ethelred said:
How could you not catch that? :lol Have you not seen the screens/videos? It's distinctively Kaneko at his best!
:(

yeah I just saw some art, the eyes of the characters are definitely Kaneko style.

ethelred said:
Agreed entirely. I've been saying all the above for quite a long while now. :D

Trauma Center is fantastic, and Second Opinion looks like it'll be even better. Love the first, can't wait for the second -- which I expect to use the wiimote as fantastically and intuitively in application toward real gaming as the DS game did with the stylus.

It's too bad Trauma Centre didn't make it out for DS launch (I realise the game had been announced) because it would have proven the DS' potential. The Wii title is going to do the same thing. I cannot wait.

BTW, there is going to be a mode with more difficulty than the DS' right? I'm halfway done Sranking the operations already...

Lukewarm reviews? Meh. Give the game a play, Trin -- it's fast-paced, challenging, arcade-style puzzle/action/simulation gaming, and it's extremely fun and innovative. Also, it's nothing at all like Gyakuten Saiban.

Yeah I'm not understanding the complaints... everything is explained to you in detail other than
when you have to use the forceps to pull together the broken veins prior to suturing them. This was the ONLY time I consulted a FAQ by the by, and I kicked myself for not getting it. DUR DRAGONA DUR

R&D1 at Atlus has always vied for IntSys's place in my heart, and goddamn it, they're putting up a good fight with this game alone.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm always in for more Trauma Center love. Except those damn
Triangle GUILTs

I just wish the storyline had less to do with
GUILT
and more with realistic operations.

Otherwise, this will be the first Wii game I buy. (Even before I get the system. Ha.)

BorkBork said:
I'm always in for more Trauma Center love. Except those damn
Triangle GUILTs

Yeah I personally hate
Triti
myself, but at least they're just irritating instead of difficult (like say
Savato
). The best method to beat them is to find the
glowing purple triangle, and then take it apart along with a bunch of others. Ironically, I find cutting out a Triforce-esque (with the middle) shape the easiest way to contain it. There is a pattern though, and I just need to pinpoint it...

Drinky: Are you sure? I thought someone had mentioned it was definitely Kaneko doing the artwork. Oh well, regardless it's a big step up from whoever did the DS version. I guess you're d00m3d with me to get a Wii to play the game.

Oh god. And Fire Emblem, in early 2007. ASDJKAS.

Teasel

first time i agree with dragona
the game is amazing and if you own a ds, you HAVE to play this
oh and if you can't do the
triti just use the healing touch,while you are in the healing touch mode the triti won't regenerate so if you are quick (and execute a good healing touch and not a crappy one) you can remove it without problems

Teasel said:
first time i agree with dragona
the game is amazing and if you own a ds, you HAVE to play this
oh and if you can't do the
triti just use the healing touch,while you are in the healing touch mode the triti won't regenerate so if you are quick (and execute a good healing touch and not a crappy one) you can remove it without problems

Yeah that's how I tend to beat them:
As soon as the surgery begins, I use the Healing Touch and can get rid of over 50% of the stupid things
. I don't like using the HT though... almost all of the surgeries (save
Savato
) are easily completed without it. But goddamn,
Triti
is that irritating to me. :p

i like trauma center ds, but definitely not enough to get a wii. i actually think the stylus is far better suited to the mechanics than waggle, anyhoo.

I dunno Drinky, the way they're rethinking the tools (like the oft-mentioned) forceps has me salivating at the prospect of new surgeries. If anyone can make waggle work, it's R&D1 Atlus.

I can understand that. We can only see. I know I'm still destined to buy a copy of Trauma Centre: Second Opinion though.

A Wii is unfortunately inevitable. Fire Emblem looms. Such is my doom.

Drinky'll fight against waggle until there is something he likes but Nintendo fans say "it's good but its missing that Nintendo magic." Drinky will start several threads about how great the game is and how people have their heads in their asses. As for Trauma Centre it is one of the better games on the DS.

trauma center's mechanics have very little to do with the mechanics of actual surgery -- it wouldn't be fun iit did. they're simple but tightly-integrated, which makes them work well. trauma center 2 gets into the imprecise gestural antics that more closely typify mini-game collections. i'll pass.

Saoh

EVERYBODY:

BUY TRAUMA CENTER SECOND OPINION

:)

i was going to get this game on DS 'till i found out that the Wii version is a remake with plenty more stuff. im so getting TCSO on launch... cant wait for it!! :D

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Dragona - when you say a friend tracked down the game for you, are you implying it's getting hard to find? If so, I'll go pick up a copy right now even though I don't have a DS.

Get the DS version too: it's plenty different from the Wii offering.

TheOMan: well, he owed me some money and at the time it was hard to find. I understand there's been a reprint since then.

yayaba

I picked this up about two weeks ago. I have yet to finish it as I started it around the same time as Okami (which I still haven't finished either......) but I liked what I saw. I'm around Chapter 5 but the integration of story and gameplay is awesome.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
TC is indeed awesome.

I need to find a rip of the game's music. It's great.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
GaimeGuy said:
TC is indeed awesome.

I need to find a rip of the game's music. It's great.
Please tell me if you do. I've been begging those people at gh to do it for a while now with no luck. :(

Dragona Akehi said:
This game is absolutely amazing.

Fully agreed! It's really masterfully done and extremely fun pretty much the whole way through.

What I'm not getting was the complaints concerning difficulty.

That's probably because you're better at it than everyone else. :D I didn't have much trouble getting through the game, but I had to retry multiple times on most missions and S-ranking a lot of it seems well beyond my capacity without some serious practice. It's not nightmarish, but it's definitely challenging compared to many games.

I can't understand how anyone who loves "real games" doesn't absolutely adore this title. It's nigh perfect!

This game is really the standard I want to hold DS software to. This game proves that the stylus creates new gameplay opportunities, and other developers should aspire to use it as well as TC does.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Dragona Akehi said:
Get the DS version too: it's plenty different from the Wii offering.

TheOMan: well, he owed me some money and at the time it was hard to find. I understand there's been a reprint since then.

Good to know - I'll see if I can find a copy for myself. Thanks.

I might just have to buy this, been seeing copies of it everywhere. Though I'm afraid it might scratch up my DSL. Then again I have my DS for that.

Edit: I guess when I go into my local Gamestop next week to pick up Contact, I'll buy this.

alexel

Man the triangle GUILTS with the 3 barbs were THE hardest for me out of all of them, way harder then even Savato. Anyway, I never noticed how much time my healing touch gave me, does the time you get vary? And does it vary on how good of a star you draw?

Top Bottom