• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So next gen 3rd party games are gonna target a 4TF 1440p baseline and we're ok with this because $299?

ExpandKong

Banned
You know that in 3 years the PS5 will likely be discounted to $300?

The generation is going to be 7 years long. Try to take a longer view here- you are stuck with this for 7 years.

Then I guess I'll get a PS5 in 3 years, goddamn I don't need to play Miles Morales the second it comes out I've got kids and like a hundred Switch games I still haven't played lol.

Might get an XSS in January for that Hitman 3 though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Just when you thought console warring couldn't get more cancerous. 2 more years of this.
Nik28hi.jpg

Then I guess I'll get a PS5 in 3 years, goddamn I don't need to play Miles Morales the second it comes out I've got kids and like a hundred Switch games I still haven't played lol.

Might get an XSS in January for that Hitman 3 though.

Thats true I understand. But is Microsoft going to kill this system in 3 years?

Kikorin

I guess problems will come when devs starts to push the most powerful hardware. 4k will scale to 1440p at the start of the gen, but when games starts to be more demanding and will not be 4k on PS5/Xbox SX anymore, then it will be more difficult to have it at decent performance on Series S. Anyway, I guess this is a very good news for a future Switch 2, because if they can have a portable hardware powerful enough to play Series S games at 540p/720p with maybe DLSS to upscale at 1080p, it will get pretty much all third party games.

Fbh

Every time we have some "graphics vs performance" thread the overwhelming majority of people say performance is the most important thing, and they wish next gen would focus on 60fps, and how good graphics are basically a cancer to console games because they make devs go with 30fps instead of 60 and all that.

So shouldn't this be good news? If most games are made for a 4tf 1440p baseline it means the vast majority of games shouldn't have any issues pushing both 60fps and decent resolutions on the considerably stronger Series X and Ps5.

Last edited:

Okamiden

If you think about it, this is the first time in history we have "next-gen" console launch at the same time with the GPU which is 10 times more powerful (3090)

lmao

Last edited:

Rac3r

Let’s wait to see what the devs have to say. No point in fear mongering/spreading FUD, and I say this as someone who is likely only buying a PS5.

The truth will be revealed shortly.

Designing a game to run at 1080p on 4tf and scaling up to 12 at 4k is exactly the same as designing a game for 12tf at 4k and scaling down to 1080p on 4tf. If Sony made a ps5s at 3tf but everything else the same it will play all the same ps5 games designed for 4k but this time at 1080p.

Three

same architecture as xbsex, same ssd, same IO, same (or similar cpu)....haven’t you seen how games scale up and down on pc based on hardware you have got? Look at Nvidia 30series, these range from 20 to 35 TFlops, and vram from 8gb to 24gb
I've fucking seen Halo, Gears 5 and state of decay on next gen. I know well enough that MS' priority is gamepass so throw Xbox one in the equation too where most of their subscribers are. The same game at higher res or higher fps is still the same last gen looking game even if fps and res scale.

martino

I'd say its a very, very logical concern.

Why should anyone assume Series X and PS5 will be targeted when PS4 Pro and XONE X was not targeted and used for making games exclusively?

So 360 using DVD...AGAIN after PS2 very much gimped the previous generation, as to why MGS4 only exist on PS3 currently.
Now we have a 4TFLOP system and we should magically believe it won't gimp the next generation? I have a very, very hard time believing everyone will just make 2 versions of a game. I call bullshit on that, they will make games targeting 4TFLOPS and simply porting to those other systems.
Did you watch Df sometimes? It was not rare pro systems had a hard time to do what they were meant to do than the reverse.

Its actually irrelevant. Mid gen reference, release at launch etc doesn't matter. It exist during the same generation and will still be used as the base. I don't see developers making 2 fucking games each time, unlikely. They will make it on Series S and port to everyone else. I don't see this releasing at the same time changing that as what would be the relevance to that point in the first place?

"I never bought those - no one I know did" ??? Has zero relevance to the topic. Irrelevant...
Uh actually it is relevant - because you don’t have to build for the base consoles that the majority have. You can scale down for the weaker ones

Three

Halo was clearly developed fully for the X1 and then being ported up. thats very different than this. especially considering the xsx and x1 share zero similarities in hardware

Oh-really-Please.jpg

Truth is that they made a scalable 'next gen' engine. Priority being lets scale the easy res and fps down or up. They may be making investments now to save face but when it dies down and we're back in the status quo devs will be making games for the devices with the largest install base. they won't give a shit about the 5% that own the high end anything. When MS doesn't make that investment for their console what makes you think third party will?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Uh actually it is relevant - because you don’t have to build for the base consoles that the majority have.

Good luck with that argument as I don't see that 3rd parties will see it that way. They are not scaling shit down, they will make it work on Series S and then continue to port it to other systems. I'm not buying even remotely that EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc are making it for Series X and then "scaling down", they will 99.9% make it for Series S and simply port it else where. Thats like claiming they are making it for PS4 Pro or X and "scaling down", it sounds like some PR BS to make it seem as if you are getting some high quality title and not a basic port. I can see it now.

Watchdogs 1 isn't a last gen game, its "scaled down" for PS3 and 360 /s

Last edited:
Good luck with that argument as I don't see that 3rd parties will see it that way. They are not scaling shit down, they will make it work on Series S and then continue to port it to other systems. I'm not buying even remotely that EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc are making it for Series X and then "scaling down", they will 99.9% make it for Series S and simply port it else where. Thats like claiming they are making it for PS4 Pro or X and "scaling down", it sounds like some PR BS to make it seem as if you are getting some high quality title and not a basic port. I can see it now.

why bring ps3 and 360 gen into it? This isn’t a full generation behind either console due to the architecture of it - the requirement to have something support Xbox one would and will be an issue. To support this nah

EDMIX

Call me crazy but there is absolutely going to be games that will only be on PS5 and XSX.

I'm not too sure about that. How many games released only for XONE X and Pro?

B Balducci30 The example given is simply how developers will treat it. My comment isn't solely about 360 and PS3, simply how developers will market making titles for Series S.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Depends how they sell, doesn't it!

If developers and publishers feel that it isn't worth it, they'll abandon it. They're under no obligation.
I think this split combined with Game Pass will rub publishers the wrong way TBH.

I'm not too sure about that. How many games released only for XONE X and Pro?

B Balducci30 The example given is simply how developers will treat it. My comment isn't solely about 360 and PS3, simply how developers will market making titles for Series S.
Do you think we are going to see 1080p ps5 games?

Last edited:

XSS and XSX are the same generation of consoles. Your Watchdogs 1 comparison makes zero sense.

EDMIX

XSS and XSX are the same generation of consoles. Your Watchdogs 1 comparison makes zero sense.

The example was based on what developers would say, not comparing systems.... So XONE and XONE X are the "same generation of consoles" and they use XONE as the base, thats what I expect to see with Series S ie gimping the next generation with 4TFLOPs no different then 3rd parties being stuck using 1.3 TFLOPS as their base for XONE.

Do you think we are going to see 1080p ps5 games?

Not likely, I do believe the 3rd party releases will be effected by this Series S model though. They will simply port titles to PS5, Series X etc. No different then we saw from XONE to X, PS4 Pro etc.

nochance

Banned
PS5 and XSX will basically be matching a 1080Ti, XSS will be the equivalent of an RX580.
That essentially reflects the PC market, if you're looking for a competent 1080p machine you'll get an RX580/GTX1060, if you're looking for reaonable 4k you're looking at a 1080 Ti. Both of these machines can play the exact same games.

JoeDanny

PS5 and XSX will basically be matching a 1080Ti, XSS will be the equivalent of an RX580.
That essentially reflects the PC market, if you're looking for a competent 1080p machine you'll get an RX580/GTX1060, if you're looking for reaonable 4k you're looking at a 1080 Ti. Both of these machines can play the exact same games.
No no no no, you can't be drawing rational conclusions. Only hysteria and concern that Xbox is ruining everything for everyone.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds logical to me. PC game makers can figure out how to scale games across a million configs.

But many console gamers have this theory that if there's two consoles of wildly different specs, the game studio doesn't know what to do and the higher spec system game will be automatically trashed because the lower spec game takes precedence leading to the top end game getting little gains.

The example was based on what developers would say, not comparing systems.... So XONE and XONE X are the "same generation of consoles" and they use XONE as the base, thats what I expect to see with Series S ie gimping the next generation with 4TFLOPs no different then 3rd parties being stuck using 1.3 TFLOPS as their base for XONE.

That's the thing though, the XO didn't gimp the XOX. The baseline was fairly similar, the XOX only got higher resolutions and maybe slightly more details. We gonna see the same thing with XSS and XSX and I don't see where the problem is, especially when this time the baseline is even more similar (essentially the same CPUs).

Melfice7

Do PC games target the weakest graphics cards?

Theres no PC game that targets any high end specific card, thats why consoles were different, you have this closed system now built something specifically around that! trying to mimic how pc's work in the console space i feel it wont be good for the industry in the long run

Yoboman

That's the thing though, the XO didn't gimp the XOX. The baseline was fairly similar, the XOX only got higher resolutions and maybe slightly more details. We gonna see the same thing with XSS and XSX and I don't see where the problem is, especially when this time the baseline is even more similar (essentially the same CPUs).
It did though. We never got that game that was promised taking a damage of One X. It all just ended up being resolution and frame rate updates

Journey

Banned
I was going to buy an nVidia 3080, but then I found out there will also be a 3060...

Transaction cancelled!

Top Bottom