• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Overwatch 2 released yesterday... What happened?

How do you think Overwatch 2 release came along?

• It's having an awesome launch, people not into it are just out of the loop

• Already (or going into) a hard flopp

• Just a well enough launch, shadowed by the new trend (BR games)

Results are only viewable after voting.

tmlDan

Just wanted a quick game on Switch, 600 in queue. Turned Switch off. Why’s there a queue?
what do you mean why? the servers are flooded from the DDoS attack... so there are fake users clogging the servers

I launched it and it was just Overwatch but without any of the skins and stuff I had unlocked before.
That's a glitch, it should be available if you played OW1

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
what do you mean why? the servers are flooded from the DDoS attack... so there are fake users clogging the servers
Oh. Is there no other way to deal with that? Played some of the most popular online games ever at their peak, never had to queue before.

Pretty impressed that it was there and waiting for me on Switch, must have updates from Overwatch 1.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

That's a glitch, it should be available if you played OW1
Well for me they were all locked except the OW2 and OW1 skins. Oh well, I stopped playing that anyway and only had skins from random free boxes during events and stuff, it just seemed weird. Oh, there was a new character also and I guess some new maps, but even the tutorials and what not were identical and didn't have anything different to teach. I don't see why it's not a patch if everything transfers as you say and much of the content is as it was, it'd have probably gone over better if they called it Overwatch 2.0 or something and you didn't have to uninstall the old/install the new.

Last edited:

skit_data

Played OW1 at launch, it was ok but I never got into it.

Added Overwatch 2 to my library for free since I owned the original in case they for some reason change their upgrade policy. I don’t think I’ll ever play it though.

tmlDan

Well for me they were all locked except the OW2 and OW1 skins. Oh well, I stopped playing that anyway and only had skins from random free boxes during events and stuff, it just seemed weird. Oh, there was a new character also and I guess some new maps, but even the tutorials and what not were identical and didn't have anything different to teach. I don't see why it's not a patch if everything transfers as you say and much of the content is as it was, it'd have probably gone over better if they called it Overwatch 2.0 or something and you didn't have to uninstall the old/install the new.
weird, they definitely have a lot of glitches to fix and work out - some people aren't even getting content they paid for.

Fuz

Banned
the servers are flooded from the DDoS attack
Sure Jan GIF

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Is that what you call it? I'm not sure what I was but I remember life getting busy and then coming back to see it was forcing me into a role and then I never launched it again because fuck that noise.
It doesn't force you. You can choose your role before the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It's an odd feeling to click on my copy of Overwatch 1, that I paid for, for it then to update and turn into Overwarch 2. It then boots up and I have access to only a third of the characters that I used to have access to, and all my unlocked skins are gone. I promptly deleted.
hahahahahhahahahahahaha

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It came after everyone stopped caring. This should have just been a steady content drip into Overwatch and not a sequel.

MarkMe2525

It came after everyone stopped caring. This should have just been a steady content drip into Overwatch and not a sequel.
It's not even a new sku. It was a update to my existing game that took a bunch of shit away. I've never experienced anything like it.

Naked Lunch

My main beef with Overwatch when I played it when it first came out - was that its primarily a 'push the payload thru the map' gameplay. Playing defense on this mode is beyond boring and im shocked people could sit there and play the same shitty mode over and over.

With all the characters and abilities it could lend well to way more modes - like CTF. I know they added CTF later as a limited time event and it seemed poorly designed an just kinda tossed in the game as an afterthought.
Unless they did add more modes that are actually good that I dont know about?

yugoluke

Most of the players including myself left OW1 as blizzard decided to cater the esports more and more than the core playerbase, role queue was the last straw to force players to do esports teamwork than having fun.
While I agree with you about roll queue, playing overwatch with no team coordination was horrible to play. Individuals fun at the expense of constantly loosing and making the rest of the team have a horrible game was a problem. Roll queue was not the solution but people effectively throwing games by playing a 3rd of 4th DPS character ruined the experience for the rest of the team.

At the end of the day, games like overwatch are designed to be played in a selfless way, but unfortunately most casual gamers are selfish and prioritize their fun over the general enjoyment of the team (AKA winning). Being afraid of voice chat, etc...

Overwatch at the highest level is how the game was designed to be played. Playing it any other way was just infuriating.

Aion002

I tried to play:

I had to wait a couple of minutes in a queue to enter the main menu.

When I entered I saw that everything that I got on OW1 had disappeared and I had to unlock the characters from the first game.

I tried to get in a match and I got a network error.

Cat Lol GIF by Cartoon Hangover

It's a 1.5 re-release of a game that lost it's steam years ago.
I personally stopped playing OW after a few years and don't feel like returning to it ever again.

Played a few matches yesterday and it definitely doesn't feel like a proper sequel. I had fun, but is it enough for me to play this game regularly? Probably not.

No PVE until next year is a failure as well. My guess is that player count will be relatively low in a hurry unless they get some new content in there quick.

My main beef with Overwatch when I played it when it first came out - was that its primarily a 'push the payload thru the map' gameplay. Playing defense on this mode is beyond boring and im shocked people could sit there and play the same shitty mode over and over.

With all the characters and abilities it could lend well to way more modes - like CTF. I know they added CTF later as a limited time event and it seemed poorly designed an just kinda tossed in the game as an afterthought.
Unless they did add more modes that are actually good that I dont know about?

They actually have a cooler push mode now where each side attacks and defends at the same time with a moving bot instead of payload

Flintty

Launch is a fucking disaster. I don't remember any games in recent memory where I still couldn't play 24hrs+ in. I put a lot of hours into OW1 the first few years but eased right off for the reasons already covered, but I was looking forward to getting into it again. It's a fucking shambles though.

Can't access player numbers, but it's got 280K viewers on Twitch right now which is pretty good. I think games like VALORANT and Apex usually pull in 50K - 100K so right now OW2 is actually beating them in viewer count. That's largely due to it being new, obviously.

Of course, whether OW2 can maintain a healthy baseline remains to be seen. We gotta wait a few months. And yes, for live-service MP shooters in particular, Twitch viewer counts are a decent way to gauge overall community health. Viewer count and player count aren't the same thing and the game needs a good mix of both, but I'm going to ASSUME the player count is pretty healthy even if the concurrent isn't as big as the viewer count.

That said I've been hearing about the connectivity nightmares for tons of people since launch...by that standard I guess quite a few would consider the launch a disaster. There's some other weird stuff going on with OW2 as well, but I'm ultimately focused on the viewer counts here.

Played a few matches yesterday and it definitely doesn't feel like a proper sequel. I had fun, but is it enough for me to play this game regularly? Probably not.

No PVE until next year is a failure as well. My guess is that player count will be relatively low in a hurry unless they get some new content in there quick.

Another Halo Infinite scenario? Uh oh 😬

Last edited:

Holammer

Only indication I've seen to it being released was a video by Muselk buying and unlocking all season pass stuff.
That and the occasional thread here on GAF.

Puscifer

It's not even a new sku. It was a update to my existing game that took a bunch of shit away. I've never experienced anything like it.
Oh you mustn't have invested into Destiny much, there's so much content that just doesn't exist anymore it's crazy.

I played Overwatch for 6 months when it originally released. Playing Overwatch 2 it's like I've gone back in time. Same intro, still using the same maps, just a few more heroes and it's 5v5 wowz. How is this a sequel? Thankfully it's f2p, and to its credit unlocking heroes does seem pretty easy.

It's an odd feeling to click on my copy of Overwatch 1, that I paid for, for it to then update and turn into Overwarch 2. It then boots up and I have access to only a third of the characters that I used to have access to, and all my unlocked skins are gone. I promptly deleted.
Gaming 2022 Blizzard style 🙁

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm predicting a surge of popularity for the near future followed by a hard flop in a few months. They are reusing the same maps, same characters, and same mechanics with only slight balance changes and visual updates. There is just not enough new content in the game to justify anything more than that from anyone who is even slightly familiar with the original.

Their alleged PvE content likely won't save it either because people are not lining up to play Overwatch because they love PvE. It's always been PvP and that's what the fanbase enjoys. Them making an entirely separate PvE mode instead of taking that time/money and putting into making more PvP maps and content is just a waste of resources. Especially when the map rotation is already extremely repetitive.

Blizzard had their chance to make Overwatch a mega hit when it first launched with major fanfare, but they fumbled the ball and gave it only cursory support compared to other games at the time which led to stagnation in the meta and the playerbase. They could never recapture that initial surge despite balance changes and meta resets. I don't see this reinvention doing any better.

KXVXII9X

It's an odd feeling to click on my copy of Overwatch 1, that I paid for, for it to then update and turn into Overwarch 2. It then boots up and I have access to only a third of the characters that I used to have access to, and all my unlocked skins are gone. I promptly deleted.
Feels like being scammed, doesn't it? I also found out that people with prepaid phones are not able to access the game as they need a postpaid plan. Never again.

Feels like being scammed, doesn't it? I also found out that people with prepaid phones are not able to access the game as they need a postpaid plan. Never again.
That reminds me of what Bungie did "to me" with their "vaulting" of content. They removed huge swathes of the game which amounts to about $150 worth of stuff I (and many others) paid for.

Nobody_Important

Wait.

You dont get to keep the skins you already had from Overwatch 1? I thought they explicitly said that skins would carry over to 2?

Also you have to unlock characters? I thought the were all unlocked except the battle pass one.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Wait.

You dont get to keep the skins you already had from Overwatch 1? I thought they explicitly said that skins would carry over to 2?

Also you have to unlock characters? I thought the were all unlocked except the battle pass one.

yea, not sure what that guy's on about. all my skins were there as well as all the characters.

MastAndo

I just looked it up. On PC the skins automatically transfer over. On console you have to do a few extra steps. He must be on console.
There are steps necessary, but they're still not appearing for lots of people, myself included. Most of the characters are still locked and my skins aren't appearing either, despite spending time with Overwatch 1 way back when. The "Account Merge" option does nothing at the moment. I read something about things not transferring over if the merge was done after release, but I'm not sure if that's true. That would be a bummer, and probably cause me to drop the game altogether.

It's treating me like a player new to the franchise - that is, when I can even get into the game. It's been mostly long queues and error messages, though I was able to get on for a brief while earlier today.

Nobody_Important

There are steps necessary, but they're still not appearing for lots of people, myself included. Most of the characters are still locked and my skins aren't appearing either, despite spending time with Overwatch 1 way back when. The "Account Merge" option does nothing at the moment. I read something about things not transferring over if the merge was done after release, but I'm not sure if that's true. That would be a bummer, and probably cause me to drop the game altogether.

It's treating me like a player new to the franchise - that is, when I can even get into the game. It's been mostly long queues and error messages, though I was able to get on for a brief while earlier today.
Oh I didn't know about the merge until I just read about it.

I was going to try the game at some point just to see how it was, but if I can't get my skins back that I already had unlocked I won't be playing at all. I had loads of skins from when I played a lot at launch.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

You can get your skins back. Skins not showing up is a bug related to the current server outages, and it happens to some people but not others. Blizzard has said they’re working on a fix. The launch is a mess, but they’re not taking old skins away.

Doom85

Finally got in and played a few games before dinner. All the heroes are unlocked thankfully, but yeah zero of my cosmetics are available. Also have to slowly play modes before I can unlock the other modes. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Thankfully in terms of the battle pass I’ve heard it’s standard for Blizzard’s other series to extend it if there was an initial log in issue like this so that’s good for those wanting to 100% it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wow can’t wait to pay extra to wait in line earlier for diablo’s 4 launch 🤠🤣✌️

Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom