• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So scam EA just had Origin (PC) refund my purchases without requesting one without giving my money back.

So for a while I was using origin access basic to play some Battlefield and Battlefront after getting a new vid card this summer.

It didn't seem too bad so I bought some stuff on sale. BF1, Dead Space 3, etc.

Except when I logged on to Origin my games were missing and I had an e-mail from EA saying my refund had been processed on some stuff like BF1. Problem is I never made a request for a refund. I talk to an EA rep through chat and he said it was a "technical error" on their end and they were looking to resolve the issue, apparently it's happened to other people. He offered a 15% coupon. Yeah and I re bought BF1 on sale cause I thought it was ending today /facepalm. I was itching for some BF.

The other big issue is that after checking later the funds were never actually issued to my account that the refund was processed for. There's nothing that's awaiting clearance or anything from EA/Origin.

So TL;DR with EA, but their games, then they self refund themselves without consent and keep the money. What a fucking underpants gnome scam.

edit: I've bought games from Steam, Battle.net, PSN, Xbox Marketplace, Windows Marketplace, and have never had anything similar ever happen. What a freaking joke.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I highly doubt that a 90 billion dollar company is looking to steal a few dollars from you ... It's clearly a technical issue as they stated.

I highly doubt that a 90 billion dollar company is looking to steal a few dollars from you ... It's clearly a technical issue as they stated.

I'm being satirical about their intentions but this level of incompetence of having their client (self refund) games without giving the money back is a pretty big deal. It was also a bit more than a few dollars which is besides the point.

As I said before it's never happened with any other digital marketplace.

xwez

Banned

Bro that's not what you're supposed to say. You supposed to say "EA sucks" or something to that effect (you know, to keep perpetuating how awful they are).

CuNi

Just a wild guess.. Did you tell them yet? Like, did you get in contact with them or did come here first to vent?

CuNi

Just a wild guess... You didn't read the OP, did you?

I guess you didn't read him. He said he contacted them when the games disappeared, he hasn't said anything about contacting them when he noticed he didn't get the refund payed out, which any sane person would want to do the instant they notice they didn't get the money. Like what do you think will work with less issues. Telling them now that you didn't get the money or telling them who knows when that they own you money? Don't make this process harder than it needs to be.

Iaterain

It is a very sharp and funny statement but I disagree with it.
If Wallmart/Target are compensating a stolen things at the expense of a innocent consumers,
why wouldn't EA compensate its technical errors at the expense of innocent consumers?

I guess you didn't read him. He said he contacted them when the games disappeared, he hasn't said anything about contacting them when he noticed he didn't get the refund payed out, which any sane person would want to do the instant they notice they didn't get the money. Like what do you think will work with less issues. Telling them now that you didn't get the money or telling them who knows when that they own you money? Don't make this process harder than it needs to be.

I was going to give em today to see if anything posts before contacting them again. Last time I contacted the rep he wasn't very specific about what was going on and the chat was kind of awkward, it took a really long time to get a response out of him on anything.

I'll try talking again later today if nothing posts.

CuNi

I was going to give em today to see if anything posts before contacting them again. Last time I contacted the rep he wasn't very specific about what was going on and the chat was kind of awkward, it took a really long time to get a response out of him on anything.

I'll try talking again later today if nothing posts.

Hope everything turns out fine and you get your money back asap. Maybe they'll throw in another goodie for that!

Three

Out of curiosity how much did you buy the stuff on sale originally? If it was dirt cheap then that might have been the actual technical error they silently corrected.

Nut

Neo Member
If it was dirt cheap then that might have been the actual technical error they silently corrected.

What you're describing would still be theft.

For example, once I had Dell cancel a laptop order I made because of a pricing error on their website. If they had instead delivered the laptop, let me use the laptop, and then taken the laptop back, that would be theft.

Same concept with digital goods. You're not allowed to take them away just because you sold them at a lower price than you intended to.

Three

What you're describing would still be theft.
I'm not sure digital goods have those laws as they are a 'licence' to use the software (especially as I've seen people completely blocked from their digital library) but I totally agree with you in principle. It's definetly wrong of EA in this case because they haven't even refunded the money they took yet, pricing error or not.

Top Bottom