• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Stadia is out, and if you're used to low latency gaming, it's kinda bad according to most reviews.

Max_Po

Banned
I think the missing piece of the puzzle is 5G.

Stadia is too soon. Out of all the companies in the business, Google has the capital to invest and improve the service in the long run.

Most pathetic and sad part is missing promised launch features... eitherway I am, not planning to pay for it anytime soon.

bilderberg

One advantage to streaming far down the line is that it could free up storage constraints. John Carmack would talk about how an uncompressed Rage would have been terabytes and terabytes of data.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Even this thing worked, why would I want a gaming system that I can’t play my single player games offline? If it’s network cuts off for schedule maintenance or something goes wrong then I can’t play games anymore. With my Switch and PS4 even their network goes offline I can still play my games perfectly fine, why would I want to give that up?

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Shitty modern TVs added a lot of input lag in our gaming and it's been a standard ever since CRTs died. You really need to go back and play some old games on a CRT (or a very fast, high frame rate PC monitor if you can't find a CRT) to see how bad you have it now.

And now this. Those things add up, now you have both display and streaming lag. Plus whatever lag the games themselves have sometimes. At some point even your low standards will hit a wall and you will start noticing.

They will be forced to do something, otherwise gaming will be this shitty laggy experience for everyone. If they want streaming to be the future, it's time to go back to the drawing board and fix all display panels at least.
Agree, CRT's were awesome. I have tested many LCD's and IMO anything above 40ms is too much. However 20ms and below feels great (I can no longer tell any difference between CRT).

Games on stadia has additional 40-50ms lag, so that's like gaming on laggy HDTV already, and you of course need to add another 20-50 ms depending on what HDTV you are using. There's no way I would want to play games like this, I would rather buy some cheap old console or PC and play good old games instead.

Last edited:

Krabba

Neo Member
My experience with Stadia is a 9/10 so far. With controller it looks and feel exactly like playing on a PS4 or xbone. With mouse and keyboard you can feel a little bit if latency but not enough to get in the way. I wouldn't do esports on Stadia but for everything else it should work well.

I really enjoy switching screens as well when I'm playing destiny. PvE I do in my couch with the controller, pvp or difficult missions I do at my computer.

Y'all gonna be surprised when you test it.

Orpheum

I'm very traditional with gaming. I like to have a box in my apartment which can be fed with games. However as time progresses and the technology gets better, i'm sure at one point i'll make the jump. Not with Stadia though.

ares04

Neo Member
This cloud gaming stuff makes the most sense for people playing only one or 2 games a year like call of duty or madden. The issue i have with it is that if the highest graphical fidelity is only comparable to a xbox one x or ps4 pro then they fucked up. That isn't what they were touting as a selling point when this was first announced.

Bryank75

Banned
This cloud gaming stuff makes the most sense for people playing only one or 2 games a year like call of duty or madden. The issue i have with it is that if the highest graphical fidelity is only comparable to a xbox one x or ps4 pro then they fucked up. That isn't what they were touting as a selling point when this was first announced.
It's not, it barely looks like it is getting to 720p quality.... that's what most of the reviews say. It's probably because of compression. You'll never get good image quality with compression they are using.

ares04

Neo Member
My experience with Stadia is a 9/10 so far. With controller it looks and feel exactly like playing on a PS4 or xbone. With mouse and keyboard you can feel a little bit if latency but not enough to get in the way. I wouldn't do esports on Stadia but for everything else it should work well.

I really enjoy switching screens as well when I'm playing destiny. PvE I do in my couch with the controller, pvp or difficult missions I do at my computer.

Y'all gonna be surprised when you test it.

This is what I'd like to see more of...user impressions of stadia. Game journalists are too cynical and out of touch with the avg gamer.

DonF

Cloud gaming, to me, will never ever replace local hardware. It can be an alternative to some, but to me it just wont cut it, latency wise.

Any advance they can do, they just cant overcome physical barriers.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I would try the free version but it's not really free and I'm not rich. Xcloud works pretty damn good so I am curious as to how they compare on latency.

B_Boss

After using Xcloud for a bit I would say that cloud gaming is useful as a supplement to an existing broad ecosystem. As a standalone service? gtfo

I could've swore Cerny said something along those lines as well when the PS4 launched. Can't remember though...

Top Bottom