• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Mugatu

Like I have said before, he would not have been banned if he did not create a spectacle.

Someone ask Yoshida, " what if I post youtube videos, post pics of the UI and other information prior to launch with my leaked console? Would I get banned then? "

The answer to that would be something to see.

Spectacle? Give me a break.

Phreaker

Was following this thread last night and went to bed around 2:15, 30 min before his console got banned.

What a fun night and an epic thread, which has now spun off it's sequel The Banning. Hopefully he gets it lifted for launch as long as it was legitimately purchased.

It's hilarious that MS shoots down the first real positive PR they've had in months. Complete no fun allowed zone, good job MS.

Give MS the benefit of the doubt because they gave this guy the benefit of the d... fuck.
No, but we're one/two weeks out from billion dollar console launches. This isn't like a CD leaking early. I have no idea why the console got banned but I'm certainly not surprised or enraged. If everything this guy did was legit and it's a perma-ban then, yes, shit all over MS for it.

Xater

Like I have said before, he would not have been banned if he did not create a spectacle.

Someone ask Yoshida, " what if I post youtube videos, post pics of the UI and other information prior to launch with my leaked console? Would I get banned then? "

The answer to that would be something to see.

He would not be banned either. They have no right to. What is their great reasoning?

"Boohoo, you disturbed out awesome marketing plans! :( "

Come on now. It's his console. When I get shit early I share stuff as well, it's a normal thing to do. I did so for example with Halo 3, Army of Two or even Wolfenstein. I am sure there were a couple more games I got pretty early.

Cryolemon

Fixing a mistake will rarely result in a net positive. They would really have to go out of their way to make this PR that can be considered "helpful".

It wouldn't fix the PR hit entirely, no, but it would do something to smooth it over.

Of course technically they can ban anyone for any reason, so in that regard he has no recourse, but obviously from a PR point of view it doesn't look good. I'd also be interested if they start banning consoles after launch for things not directly related (eg, but not limited to, copyright infringement.

SHADES

MS didn't ban him because he was using it. They banned him for the youtube stuff.

What trouble's me with MS banning him for the "YouTube stuff" is, One of next gen's big features is capture & share & YouTube is one of the main reasons behind these features.

I can understand why they've taken the action they have but the whole mess just stinks of irony.

Did they really not anticipate these events happening & would it not have been better to have just pushed out an authentication code for XBL access for all beta/review consoles until 22/11/13 ?

Godslay

Banned
So the lesson of the day is that if you receive an early MS console and post a video of yourself unboxing it, please remain unanimous and untraceable aka wear a ninja suit, voice modifier, use an alias... Or your console am banned. Right?

It has nothing to do with his twitter and pics?

Wouldn't matter, they'll still see your gamertag on the network.

Mugatu

Was following this thread last night and went to bed around 2:15, 30 min before his console got banned.

What a fun night and an epic thread, which has now spun off it's sequel The Banning. Hopefully he gets it lifted for launch.

It's hilarious that MS shoots down the first real positive PR they've had in months. Complete no fun allowed zone, good job MS.

Ban-gate

Seriously, how many -gates/scandals have we had with the Xbox One already and it's not even launched yet?

Nubzcake

Banned
ill just leave this here link

Xbox One Dev said:
“He did buy a product, a product not released until the 22nd. The product was delivered in error, but that doesn’t change the fact it’s an unreleased product and most likely classified as a beta product. Microsoft reserves the right to suspend/ban that console under the TOS.
That being said, I was ambivalent about the leaks we saw today. Leaks are seldom good for the development team, even if they are positive. It represents thousands of hours of work that may or may not be in an unfinished state. All it takes is one instance of something that was mis-communicated or misconstrued, throw that through the internet media machine and you’ve got a disaster.
On the flip side, it was quite refreshing and encouraging to see everything we’ve done received so well. It was a little emotional for me when I saw numerous approving responses to Marc and Yusif’s demo yesterday morning. I think many of us on the team sometimes forget to take a step back and see the product work as a whole because when you work on the console, all you see are the features that still need work and the bugs that need fixing. At least this was the case for the past 6 months or so.”
Personally, I hope it’s only a temporary suspension until launch day.

The fact that he got banned and there are people actually DEFENDING it has to be a games console thing.

I cant ever imagine getting a Samsung galaxy 4 or some other phone a week before launch and the manufacturer deliberately bricking it. Or a TV. Or a Blu Ray player. But if its a games console and it happens people think its defensible.

I feel bad for the guy too. Imagine getting a brand new console that you have waited to get and then its rendered useless infront of him. Sucks to be that guy. 500 bucks down the drain if the ban isnt reversed.

Cryolemon

He would not be banned either. They have no right to. What is their great reasoning?

"Boohoo, you disturbed out awesome marketing plans! :( "

Come on now. It's his console. When I get shit early I share stuff as well, it's a normal thing to do. I did so for example with Halo 3, Army of Two or even Wolfenstein. I am sure there were a couple more games I got pretty early.

They have the right to, they can ban anyone for any reason. Does that make it the right thing to do? Not really.

Derpcrawler

What does my avatar have to do with anything?

Just pointing out obvious apologist with full blown Stockholm Syndrome. Since when posting an unboxing video warrants a:

1. Copyright claim
2. Console ban

The copyright claim is actually to censor him, it was false claim which is punishable by law since video falls under review/fair use category. How can unboxing video can even warrant a console ban?

i would agree with you guys aside from the fact this is NOT how it worked with the 360

and not because of the millions of users, its just the system.

They probably have numerous checks and balances to go through before they ban a machine. after all, they wouldn't want to do it unnecessarily (despite whats happened here but its a unique situation, which i am not defending)

24/7, people sitting there watching consoles connect? having a laugh
There is no way you can be this dumb, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm misunderstanding you.

The bolded means non automated. It's having people manually check each account.

Automated means the server itself simply scans the console's serial, then takes action based on the response. Like when I log onto Steam, it's not Cindy from Toronto checking off my username and password against a list on her huge, massive clipboard. It's the server.

Some of us are arguing that, yes indeed, a person did push a button to ban his console. Why?

* An automated ban would have happened within minutes (or seconds given how many XBox Ones are out there)

* We know Microsoft was following this story.

If I somehow misconstrued your argument, apologies, it's 7am and I'm on my first cup of coffee.

PirateKing

You can't use any feature that requires Live

I don't know if this includes patches, but it does probably include everything behind the Gold wall, DLC, multiplayer, etc.

Fuck this future.
Another bullshit thing I want to discuss, if you legit bought all your games digital, MS bans your account, doesn't that mean they're actually taking away the games you paid with your money? Think of it as this way, you buy games from your local store, your account gets banned, Microsoft employees knocks on your door to take your games away and you can't do anything about it.

zainetor

Banned
has he connected to live?

key question. if he hasn't thats why. if he has and its been 12 hours and isnt banned

i completely stand corrected

he asked directly to Microsoft if he could use the console, they said yes.(this was written in the verge article)

Just pointing out obvious apologist with full blown Stockholm Syndrome. Since when posting an unboxing video warrants a:

1. Copyright claim
2. Console ban

The copyright claim is actually to censor him, it was false claim which is punishable by law since video falls under review/fair use category. How can unboxing video can even warrant a console ban?

He never said it was warranted. I don't know how the hell you're getting that he's an "apologist" from saying the guy was banned for posting Youtube videos as opposed to connecting the console to the internet/Xbox LIVE.

You have a very strange definition of apologist.

S¡mon

Banned
To the people saying that it is okay to ban this guy:

As far as I know, this person bought the console. Legitimately. No hacks. No thefts. He bought it and his store delivered it a little bit earlier than expected.

It's not his fault that he gets it early. And why shouldn't someone be able to share his experiences with something he bought.
If it was really a problem, Microsoft should focus its attention on the store - not on the buyer who bought it.

And if Microsoft really doesn't want anything to be leaked about the Xbox One, than they should have done the following:

1) Update shouldn't have gone live until like the 21st or maybe even the 22nd of November
2) If the update is live early, than acces to Xbox Live should have been restricted

Microsoft failed at point 1. They failed again at point 2.

There's no reason to ban a legit customer who probably didn't even realize he was doing something wrong.

hornetpie

Neo Member
There is no way you can be this dumb, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm misunderstanding you.

The bolded means non automated. It's having people manually check each account.

Automated means the server itself simply scans the console's serial, then takes action based on the response. Like when I log onto Steam, it's not Cindy from Toronto checking off my username and password against a list on her huge, massive clipboard. It's the server.

Some of us are arguing that, yes indeed, a person did push a button to ban his console. Why?

* An automated ban would have happened within minutes (or seconds given how many XBox Ones are out there)

* We know Microsoft was following this story.

If I somehow misconstrued your argument, apologies, it's 7am and I'm on my first cup of coffee.

i personally dont think someone clicks ban console

i think it runs through a series of rules and does it. to do it any other way is completely inefficient and costs more money than its worth.

"Automated means the server itself simply scans the console's serial, then takes action based on the response"

absolutely. but how do we know it doesn't then run through a series of decisions on the other side to determine a ban. Microsoft wouldn't want to insta ban just in case it got it wrong, i guess that also gives argument to someone clicking a ban button.

i think we can both agree there is a level of automation to this. It could be that the engineers haven't been told not to ban One's

OR

that teh One is still showing up as a modified 360 because its not whitelisted or something

OR

yes, it could be Microsoft just being arsholes

Loakum

Banned

1. Copyright claim
2. Console ban

^This (quoted for truth)

hornetpie

Neo Member
S¡mon;89138668 said:

As far as I know, this person bought the console. Legitimately. No hacks. No thefts. He bought it and his store delivered it a little bit earlier than expected.

It's not his fault that he gets it early. And why shouldn't someone be able to share his experiences with something he bought.
If it was really a problem, Microsoft should focus its attention on the store - not on the buyer who bought it.

And if Microsoft really doesn't want anything to be leaked about the Xbox One, than they should have done the following:

1) Update shouldn't have gone live until like the 21st or maybe even the 22nd of November
2) If the update is live early, than acces to Xbox Live should have been restricted

There's no reason to ban a legit customer who probably didn't even realize he was doing something wrong.

disagree. recipie for disaster. You want it on the live servers being tested by QA and media to ensure its ready to roll

BigDug13

Fuck this future.
Another bullshit thing I want to discuss, if you legit bought all your games digital, MS bans your account, doesn't that mean they're actually taking away the games you paid with your money? Think of it as this way, you buy games from your local store, your account gets banned, Microsoft employees knocks on your door to take your games away and you can't do anything about it.

That's exactly how it had happened this gen already. Banned account is banned account.

But in this particular instance, it was not "account", it was "console". So account purchases remain intact for this guy.

But yeah, banned account means no games you purchased. Same thing happened to EA when they banned forum users. Those forum users lost access to their purchased games because of a forum ban. It got corrected...eventually.

SHADES

Fuck this future.

IIRC, MS have already said that if you've brought digital games & your console gets banned for whatever reason you'll still have access to those games just not the online MP aspect of said games.

Cryolemon

S¡mon;89138668 said:

There' no need to ban him no, but that doesn't mean Microsoft can't ban him. They shouldn't imho, but they can.

Kusagari

he asked directly to Microsoft if he could use the console, they said yes.(this was written in the verge article)

That guy said he talked on the phone with MS, which likely means he talked to some low level grunt who knows nothing.

It's not like he directly called up a head of MS and asked if it's kosher.

FyreWulff

There is no reason for this ban. Holy shit Microsoft, if he vids something that you don't like just say a "pre-release footage, patches incoming" lie if you want to. You're playing from a deck with see-through cards.

quite literally impossible for this to be a pirated copy or a modchipped One at this point, so they can't even hide behind vague "we ban for reasons". It's solely to manufacture their preferred reality.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Isn't the real question here: Why does MS not want him to share his X1 experiences? This is surely extending the embargo beyond the press to the user. Why? What are they trying to hide, CBOAT?

So let me get this straight, guy receives console, guy publicizes console (and praises it to high heaven), guy puts YT videos up and is happy with XB1 and MS comes in and bans him?

Does MS even have a PR department to filter out these decisions through before enacting them?

tumblr_mslql1zNKC1sqv808o1_500.gif

syllogism

Youtube reserves the right to remove your content for essentially any reason. Fair use is a defense against a copyright infringement claim and does not protect you against private parties censoring your content on their own platforms.

hornetpie

Neo Member
IIRC, MS have already said that if you've brought digital games & your console gets banned for whatever reason you'll still have access to those games just not the online MP aspect of said games.

but you wouldn't be able to re-download them

because you can't get to marketplace

jond76

Banned
S¡mon;89138668 said:

He can still access and play his console. They have effectively restricted his Live access.

The true test will be at launch, when they should theoretically unban the console, thus re-allowing access to the Live service.

Top Bottom