• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Briarios

Exactly. We've gone from Piracy, Copyright Infringement to 'just shit MS or large organisations don't like' in a very short amount of time in regards to YouTube.

That was the slippery slope that people had always warned about ... Now that we're sliding down, there may not be a way back.

Let's be honest for a moment - if this had not blown up, it would not have been resolved. Doing the right thing when the eyes of the world are on you is not the same as doing the right thing when no one is watching. So, anyone saying that it's ridiculous this exploded into a PR event is missing the point that the public rage is what pushed it towards a solution.

I agree with this. The only reason this was resolved is because Major Nelson decided it was best to put out this fire before it spread.

And I'm still not wholly convinced the guy will be unbanned on the 22nd...

Gahadmor

Neo Member
Let's be honest for a moment - if this had not blown up, it would not have been resolved. Doing the right thing when the eyes of the world are on you is not the same as doing the right thing when no one is watching. So, anyone saying that it's ridiculous this exploded into a PR event is missing the point that the public rage is what pushed it towards a solution.

Nope. The uproar simply distorted reality by claiming the console had been banned, which is not the case.

1. Guy gets an Xbox One Friday evening, because Target fucked up
  2. He posts an unboxing video on YouTube
  3. People laugh, 'Console is useless without the day one patch!'
  4. He connects to Live and downloads the day one patch
  5. Posts a bunch of details on Twitter with highly positive reaction
  6. Couple folks on Twitter advise him not post any gameplay, he agrees to wait
  7. More folks on Twitter start tweeting that he has the console and is answering questions
  8. Couple media outlets pick up that he's spewing details
  9. Microsoft takes unboxing video down with a copyright strike, asking for proof of purhcase
  10. He responds to said email with proof of purchase
  11. People start tweeting to him how his was wronged
  12. Hours of people upset over unboxing video taken down
  13. Dude emails MS to see when/if the unboxing video can go back up
  14. More bitching from people about video being taken down
  15. Dude jokes he "might sue them lol"
  16. Around midnight his console gets banned from XBL, but not his account
  17. Dude contacts @Microsoft to explain, tweets @Microsoft several times with no response
  18. People get in an uproar over how he was wronged, they suggest to sue
  19. Dude stays calm, says he will go straight to MS
  20. People go back to being raged about the unboxing video being taken down
  21. Dude goes to sleep
  22. Major Nelson joins the GAF thread and says he's going to try to resolve it
  23. GAF still kind of in uproar
Tweaked it a bit, one thing was out of order (his unboxing video came before the twitter details), but otherwise great summary.

railGUN

Banned
I've yet to read an adequate response as to why he cannot share his unboxing, or anything else for that matter on his YouTube channel.

Damn missed the videos. :/

The store UI for games/apps looks so clean and clear. I love it. Much better than 360.

They are probably only going to ban his console until launch and then possibly give him first party games for free as an apology for the shipping error. I do not feel sorry for this guy, he is very lucky to benefit from this mistake. Also for a regular Joe he did an awesome job of capturing everything and giving impressions.

They paid $500 million to be the official console of the NFL, it's not a bad tag to have,

Why do people here bring this up constantly like it was a bad deal? They paid $400M to be the official game console, OS, tablet (Surface) of the NFL for 5 years. I hear that a lot of people watch this football thing.

Considering MS spends over $500M on advertising every time they launch a new product (ie. Kinect, Xbox, Surface, Windows), $400M spread out over 5 years is like chump change to a company making about $25B in profit every year. Honestly the NFL is probably worth a much bigger investment, especially if they can eventually get Sunday ticket or some exclusive interactivity with NFL broadcasts for Windows/Xbox.

11463e1b6ea51174213fa23577bef96e.png

Pre-ordering movies? Yes, they took my suggestion like they said, guess they weren't just being polite. ;)

Baby Milo

I'd say a bigger deal than the banning alone is using Youtube's copyright claiming system to claim that an unboxing video was infringing on their copyrights. That's a fraudulent claim. Microsoft committed literal copyright fraud, and yet they still expect everyone to respect their copyrights?

yup the whole thing is slimy as hell

lol. His avatar is Avatar Wan (lol) from a show called Legend of Korra. Not that you necessarily care.

Okay, this is a much better summary. Thanks.

Wow; this kind of behaviour from MS makes me not want to buy another of its products again. I'd rather not risk being treated like a thief even though I'm a legitimate customer. SteamOS can't come soon enough.

Briarios

Are you sure about that? Sounds like unbanning the consoles on the 22th was always the plan (which also makes perfectly sense). No need for tin foil hats

That's what you call spin. You phrase it in a way to make it sound like your solution was always the plan. If it was, the. He would have never been allowed access. The fact is, Microsoft has recently done a similar thing -- when their DRM was pulled back, they made up features that were never meant to be implemented to make it seem like a punishment.

No. It wasn't something they'd really considered.

coldfoot

Banned
He should fight the unboxing video copyright claim on Youtube, it should get overturned.
Other than that, couldn't MS, the supposed god of software, put a message when a console is banned that gives more detail. For his console, it would be a simple message saying "access to Xbox Live network for Xbox One is restricted until the general release on Nov 22." It would avoid all this controversy

Kinyou

That's what you call spin. You phrase it in a way to make it sound like your solution was always the plan. If it was, the. He would have never been allowed access. The fact is, Microsoft has recently done a similar thing -- when their DRM was pulled back, they made up features that were never meant to be implemented to make it seem like a punishment.

MS wasn't planning on Target prematurely releasing consoles. And as another picture already showed are MS employers already playing, so it makes sense that the service is accessible. Also do I not see how you would conclude from this that they wouldn't get unbanned.

There's a chance that you're right, but please don't act as if it was 100% fact.

btw this part
-- when their DRM was pulled back, they made up features that were never meant to be implemented to make it seem like a punishment.
Is also just a theory that you accept as fact. Cboat has been wrong several times, he might have been wrong there as well. Don't treat rumors as facts

Ya, they should have had a plan in place that checks to see if you're on their white list, and if not just display a message that players should be prepared for awesomeness on the 22nd.

The Lamp

I told you guys. I told you Microsoft would do it.

I don't see why people defend a company with looney tunes antics like this.

I feel like people here are always in detective mode, looking for something that isn't there, and twisting it so that they can pounce on some unsuspecting pray.

What I meant was that, they're both helpful but only Shu gets credit and threads etc. I'm non partisan, I follow the games, but it seems as though a lot of people follow the companies or company employees that they like.

Do you honestly believe that if Yoshida never acknowledged the question or went with a Penello shuffle that it wouldn't have been called out here? Come on, all is fair game. The guy was asked a very simple question and could not have given a more direct answer. You have been paying attention. It is not as common a practice as many would hope.

Marvel

could never
He should fight the unboxing video copyright claim on Youtube, it should get overturned.
Other than that, couldn't MS, the supposed god of software, put a message when a console is banned that gives more detail. For his console, it would be a simple message saying "access to Xbox Live network for Xbox One is restricted until the general release on Nov 22." It would avoid all this controversy

That would have been a smart thing to do. I'm surprised it wasn't done to be honest, Microsoft had to know there would be some out in the wild. They've handled it poorly by straight banning people without any further info.

But I'm glad they are lifting bans on the release date. (if I am correct on this)

PG2G

You seem really well versed in this spin thing

acm2000

It's the same on 360, pre release meant ban till launch if you break the tos, nothing new here

JABEE

I'm confused, if the console is ready and the update is live. What could Microsoft be waiting on/far that would have them launch a week later than Sony. Server-side stuff?
Retailers can't handle two product launches of this scale at the same time.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This topic is full of the worst apologist nonsense I have seen since the original DRM meltdowns. Just that numbered "summary" above trying to paint the dude and all negativity in the most bitchy manner possible is frankly amazing alone.

Barzul

This was not an something they expected to happen. You typically just don't expect the console to beat street date by 2 weeks. It was a Target cock up that led to this.

pompidu

Are you sure about that? Sounds like unbanning the consoles on the 22th was always the plan (which also makes perfectly sense). No need for tin foil hats

no that was not the plan. major nelson would have just let him know that and not get personally involved. there was no preparation for this sort of thing.

PG2G

I'm confused, if the console is ready and the update is live. What could Microsoft be waiting on/far that would have them launch a week later than Sony. Server-side stuff?

They could just want to have an extra weeks worth of stock available for launch.

zainetor

Banned
Major Nelson wouldn't be trying to resolve this if it was according to plan.

console beeing sold 2 weeks before the Street date, was not part of the plan either.
If this guy really has a receipt showing the date of his purchase, I highly doubt he would have stayed banned forever.

Kinyou

Major Nelson wouldn't be trying to resolve this if it was according to plan.
no that was not the plan. major nelson would have just let him know that and not get personally involved. there was no preparation for this sort of thing.
Major Nelson doesn't know everything. His comment of "resolving" this could also be taken as "I'll look into this". I doubt that he had anything to do with the decision of banning the consoles

syllogism

I'd say a bigger deal than the banning alone is using Youtube's copyright claiming system to claim that an unboxing video was infringing on their copyrights. That's a fraudulent claim. Microsoft committed literal copyright fraud, and yet they still expect everyone to respect their copyrights?
Putting aside the fact that you can't commit a "copyright fraud" by asking Youtube to take something down, it's worth noting that before the product is made publicly available copyright owner retains more rights and control over it. It is not clear at all whether this claim could not be successful in a court and it is definitely not clear enough to use as strong wording as you opted to in your post.

pompidu

Major Nelson doesn't know everything. His comment of "resolving" this could also be taken as "I'll look into this". I doubt that he had anything to do with the decisions of banning the consoles

Not buying it. The director of xbox live knows nothing about a ban release date for xbox ones? gtfo. If that was true he would of stated it.

Razdek

Banned
If the Xbox team never had discussions of what they would do if users received their consoles early and tried to log into live then they are stupid as shit. They had to know that some would be given earlier than the 22nd and they should have prepared for it. But then again this is the same team that didn't think that taking the word Xbox and the word One and combining them would give Xbone so they may have been that stupid.

PG2G

Not buying it. The director of xbox live knows nothing about a ban release date for xbox ones? gtfo. If that was true he would of stated it.

He probably knew nothing about the bans in the first place.

Do you guys really think Microsoft sat around a few weeks ago and said "let's ban anyone that gets their hands on a console early"?

The_Afroman

Thanks for the summary. Banning him was very wrong. He did nothing wrong, just got lucky and got the console early. It sounds like it might get sorted out in the end though if Major/Larry said so, he is actually a surprisingly good guy if you don't treat him like shit. I'm a nobody, in tiny Sweden, and recently had a problem with a lost password and password recovery solution didn't work, 7 years of 360 purchases was locked inside the console. I got zero help from the support and finally contacted Larry but never thought he would reply, but he did, and he offered to help me out and also came back to me later on when it finally worked just to see if everything was okay now. So yeah keep calm and just don't treat people like shit and it might end up okay in the end.

This. ^ I'm no "fan" of any major company. I go where the games are.. I buy them all and play them all. I have both consoles pre-ordered. The ban sucks. BUT the MS response was good. Major Nelson stepped up and will take care of this guy.

Lets agree. The GUI on the One looks damn good. This is an exciting time to be a gamer. So much fun to be had this holiday season. Relax guys and lets sit back and wait for this to unfold.

keit4

Banned
  1. Guy gets an Xbox One Friday evening, because Target fucked up
  2. Posts a bunch of details with highly positive reaction
  3. Couple folks on Twitter advise him not post any gameplay, he agrees to wait
  4. More folks on Twitter start tweeting that he has the console and is answering questions
  5. Couple media outlets pick up that he's spewing details
  6. He posts an unboxing video to YouTube
  7. Microsoft takes unboxing video down with a copyright strike, asking for proof of purhcase
  8. He responds to said email with proof of purchase
  9. People start tweeting to him how his was wronged
  10. Talks about suing MS
  11. Hours of people upset over unboxing video taken down
  12. Dude emails MS to see when/if the unboxing video can go back up
  13. More bitching from people about video being taken down
  14. Dude jokes he "might sue them lol"
  15. Around midnight his console gets banned from XBL, but not his account
  16. Dude contacts @Microsoft to explain, tweets @Microsoft several times with no response
  17. People get in an uproar over how he was wronged, they suggest to sue
  18. Dude stays calm, says he will go straight to MS
  19. People go back to being raged about the unboxing video being taken down
  20. Dude goes to sleep
  21. Major Nelson joins the GAF thread and says he's going to try to resolve it
  22. GAF still kind of in uproar

Thanks for the summary.

pompidu

He probably knew nothing about the bans in the first place.

Do you guys really think Microsoft sat around a few weeks ago and said "let's ban anyone that gets their hands on a console early"?

No, but the problem was they had no plan in place. If i was releasing a product, I would account for a situation where someone could receive the product before release date. Poor planning.

Director of programming for Xbox Live.

Ok, he should still know.

SegaShack

I'm looking forward to potentially more info about the console (although it's highly unlikely). However at this point this thread has turned into another game politics outrage thread where people discuss what's right and wrong and how people "need to be held accountable".

Putting aside the fact that you can't commit a "copyright fraud" by asking Youtube to take something down, it's worth noting that before the product is made publicly available copyright owner retains more rights and control over it. It is not clear at all whether this claim could not be successful in a court and it is definitely not clear enough to use as strong wording as you opted to in your post.
1) Making a DMCA claim on Youtube is making a copyright claim. Making a copyright ownership claim over a video they didn't make is FRAUD.

2) No just because there's a street date (an agreement between a manufacturer and retailer, not a law) on a product does not give them "more rights and control over it." The consequences of breaking the street date fall entirely upon the shoulders of Target, who made the agreement with Microsoft. Once Target gave the product to the user, that user owns it, period. The user can take pictures of it, record video of it, or go all office space on it. It's theirs. It already passed from Microsoft's hands when they sold it to Target, and from Target's hands to the user. If they want it back so badly they will have to strike an agreement with the user (i.e. buy it from them).

belushy

Banned
Pretty cool how this guy still has good things to say about the console, despite being banned. That is a true MS fan if I've ever seen one.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Personally I think it's a dumb move to ban the best PR MS has had for the Xbone until launch. Par for the course I guess.

Top Bottom