• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan doesn't have offline co-op?

MrBadger

Oh. Well, I think this will be a pass from me, then. I'm sure it'll be decent but it never looked that great to me and couch co-op was its one saving grace.

Hutchie

I guess modern gaming is shifting away from couch co op to online which is sad because the two can co exist. Im sure given a bigger budget and time they could have made it work

Akzel

I'm more like a lone turtles so co-op is not really an issue for me.
hqdefault.jpg

The radio slience on this game has been deafening and worrying. Say what you want about Korra and transformers, but we got multiple live demos, interviews and game snippets before release.

We are 3 weeks out from release and we have only had one trailer and a handful of handsoff previews.

Id be wary picking this up day one.

KORNdoggy

That sounds absolutely terrible for this kind of game. I can't even begin to imagine how fucked up the camera would get with that.

the camera would be fixed, neither player would control it. there's no reason why it would get fucked up really. i mean, it's essentially a 3D brawler right? like the lego games, but more in depth move sets...so why do you even need camera control for that?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
the camera would be fixed, neither player would control it. there's no reason why it would get fucked up really. i mean, it's essentially a 3D brawler right? why do you even need camera control for that?
Imagine playing Bayonettta, Devil May Cry, or Ninja Gaiden in local co-op with the same camera. *shudder*

KORNdoggy

Imagine playing Bayonettta, Devil May Cry, or Ninja Gaiden in local co-op with the same camera. *shudder*

devil may cry had fixed cameras. so it would work exactly the same as single player, only there would be another dude on screen chopping dude up.

as i said. see diablo, lego, helldivers, dead nation, no doubt alienation when that gets couch co-op. it already works. i don't see why platinum would struggle to incorporate it. plus it maintains their precious framerate.

EDIT:
this is from PSone and manages it. it isn't like it's some unheard of system. and ultimately, if you somehow broke out in a rash looking at same screen local co-op, you could always not play that mode? the fact it's not there at all is a huge cop-out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVqcg5H0Hx4

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
devil may cry had fixed cameras. so it would work exactly the same as single player, only there would be another dude on screen chopping dude up.

as i said. see diablo, lego, helldivers, dead nation, no doubt alienation when that gets couch co-op. it already works. i don't see why platinum would struggle to incorporate it. plus it maintains their precious framerate.
I mean maybe with the fixed camera, but I don't know, still doesn't sound like it's worth the budget. And knowing Activision and their attitude towards licenced games, this probably got the bare minimum when it came to budget.

Volcynika

With the way they designed the game (this is just recalling the videos shown a few weeks ago), it doesn't appear local co-op would work well. There are tall buildings and some verticality, and environments are big enough where players can spreadout pretty far from each other. Other brawlers worked well because they were pretty contained within a small area, but this seems different. Seems like their design from the get go was intended to be online only, so they worked it that way to not restrict players' movement.

Tizoc

Either because of acti's given Budget for the game or platinum couldnt have it work right with 2 characters on the same screen

Kalopsia

Neo Member
This is nothing new for Platinum and I'm glad they chose to keep a solid framerate rather than compromise it for a feature that would see very little use.

EDIT:
this is from PSone and manages it. it isn't like it's some unheard of system. and ultimately, if you somehow broke out in a rash looking at same screen local co-op, you could always not play that mode? the fact it's not there at all is a huge cop-out.

Compared to this game, and others like Bayonetta, Dante's mobility in DMC was very slow and limited. TMNT and Bayonetta see their characters traversing large distances at high speeds during combat. Attempting to keep the camera focused on multiple players simultaneously would be a joke.

I didn't know this either until my brother recently mentioned it to me. I refused to believe it until I got online and read about it. Fucking insanity, that's for sure.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is really silly. Platinum straight slippin'.

Guess I will wait for it to be discounted, unless they patch it in.

Who cares if splits teen would hurt fps?
There was a time when split screen modes were added at all costs! Remember n64, Playstation, GameCube, PS2 often had split screen modes at the cost of lower frames or less detail in the game world.

Such a shame that local multiplayer has been more or less dead since the xbox360. (Nice to see indie games trying to revive it though)

prag16

Banned
Yep. This one aspect is what brought me from, "Will probably buy at launch or shortly after," to, "will never buy barring 90% off sale."

My son and I would have played the shit out of this in local co-op. But alas...

Mit-

This is nothing new for Platinum and I'm glad they chose to keep a solid framerate rather than compromise it for a feature that would see very little use.
Just FYI I hate your opinion, and that opinion is what effectively killed local multiplayer, an experience that is not replicated online or otherwise, and that a lot of people enjoy taking advantage of with friends in the same room. Oh and the frame rate wouldn't have been compromised for you if you don't plan on using the feature, but, good looking out for the rest of us who would've liked it!

That said I can see why this doesn't have it. Not because people don't want it or don't use it, but it looks more like a typical Platinum action game. Not a simplistic brawler--so single screen multiplayer was likely out of the question without redesigning the gameplay. However I would've loved splitscreen, and wish developers took PC seriously enough to add performance-intensive features like that to the PC version of games.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Who cares if splits teen would hurt fps?
There was a time when split screen modes were added at all costs! Remember n64, Playstation, GameCube, PS2 often had split screen modes at the cost of lower frames or less detail in the game world.

Such a shame that local multiplayer has been more or less dead since the xbox360. (Nice to see indie games trying to revive it though)

Well, for one, lots of crybabies would be complaining on the net.

ArjanN

From what I've seen it wouldn't make a lot of sense with the design they have, it's not a 90s beat 'em up with a static side-view like Turtles In Time or something.

Tizoc

Easy people let us not get personal
Iirc cod blops 3 has offline coop for its campaign mode so on the on hand it is doable
On the other it comes down to either given budget or platinum's development know how

Neiteio

I thought they made it clear from the start this is online multiplayer only. Not ideal, but maybe it's the only way it can work with the camera/gameplay they have in this game.

Ranmo

As disappointed as I was, it is a good call. Also as people have mentioned it isn't a arcade beat 'em up. Platinum games have a whole lot of stuff going on during combat and so co-op wouldn't be shared on one big screen, it would have been split screen, and it would have definitely hurt the fps. Which would have been bad because fps is very important in those stylish action games.

RM8

Very unfortunate since it's a TMNT game, but I guess as a game it's simply not trying to be a follow-up to older games in the franchise.

Shauni

I have a feeling some of you wanting couch co-op haven't seen the small amount of gameplay that's been released. It would be a mess. I guess it'd be doable, but the amount of time and effort to do so probably just wasn't viable within their timeframe and budget.

test_account

XP-39C²

EDIT:

They would have to design the game completely differently if they wanted to do it like Diablo and Helldivers etc.. That would be easy indeed, but local coop with their current design would be hard. Splitscreen would work, but then they need to work out the technical limitations around that.

Slaythe

It has online coop, you get to find people to play this with, better than nothing.

Personally I don't know anybody that would play that with me in real life.

jluedtke

Fuckin' hell...for real?

My kids were talking yesterday about how excited they were to play this together. Well...scratch that, I guess.

JTripper

As disappointed as I was, it is a good call. Also as people have mentioned it isn't a arcade beat 'em up. Platinum games have a whole lot of stuff going on during combat and so co-op wouldn't be shared on one big screen, it would have been split screen, and it would have definitely hurt the fps. Which would have been bad because fps is very important in those stylish action games.

Yeah. The real sin would be if this were the other way around or if online co-op wasn't included.

Top Bottom