• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan doesn't have offline co-op?

Tizoc

Looks at game.

Reads above post.

Looks at game.

Reads above post.

WHAT?!

So it would drop it from 240fps to 120?
My brothers couldnt tell 30 from 60 fps, i wouldve been fine ith a steady 30 fps if it meant splitscreen coop and it restrixted which area a player could go to if the game mentions that both need to be together to enter it

I hadn't heard about this. The continuing death of couch co-op is really disappointing, especially in a game like this. Sessions of Turtles in Time with friends was the best back in the day.

As disappointed as I was, it is a good call. Also as people have mentioned it isn't a arcade beat 'em up. Platinum games have a whole lot of stuff going on during combat and so co-op wouldn't be shared on one big screen, it would have been split screen, and it would have definitely hurt the fps. Which would have been bad because fps is very important in those stylish action games.

Speaking for myself of course, I wouldn't mind a few less on-screen 'happenings' in exchange for off-line co-op with steady FPS. Something about a TMMT game screams local co-op......personally I'm disappointed. Not enough to not buy the game, but it will be a missed feature for me. I'd love to go through the game with my son.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Myself and my brother grew up with the Turtles and still have a fondness for anything turtle related really. My brother has got my nephew all involved in the franchise and he loves anything with those ninjas. They were super excited when they saw the trailer for that game.

Why the hell can't my brother and his son play the game in their living room together? Other franchises have worked out local co-op without the split screen to great effect. Seriously screwed up. No purchase from us.

Would have been day 1. If they add it in due to fan backlash then that would be awesome, I hope enough people want it and vote with their wallets.

Ragnarok

Why is local multiplayer dying out? These publishers realize that many games are played by families. Families that would prefer to play together. Just because the internet is ubiquitous doesn't mean brothers don't want to play together on the same damn TV.

And a turtles game without local multiplayer is downright sacrilege. It's one of the main points of the games. Such bullshit.

Have you guys seen the gameplay? Jesus. There's no way they can get local coop and still have anything be visible on screen. That shit is messy as it is with a single player per screen.

Tizoc

Well, if we had stronger consoles, yeah maybe. But splitting the screen down to 4 sides would guarantee 20 fps for each.

Just saying.
Hey man we were fine wIth 2 player tmnt beatem ups 20 years ago we'd be fine with 2 player tmnt games today

Seriously?

turtles.facepalm.2.png

Perfect.

eXistor

Personally I couldn't care less (I'm the only person I know that's gonna be playing this anyway), but it is a shame considering this would be a perfect game for offline co-op.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If power wasn't an issue last gen, the gen before that, or the gen before that with local coop, how is this gen, with more power, all of sudden... not enough power.

That is a wishy washy excuse (and not the major factor) for development prioritization, forcing more to be in the paid online networks, etc., and nothing more.

That's surprising and disappointing but I'm still very excited about this. Looks a lot of fun and will evoke plenty of nostalgia for sure.

Petrae

Why is local multiplayer dying out? These publishers realize that many games are played by families. Families that would prefer to play together. Just because the internet is ubiquitous doesn't mean brothers don't want to play together on the same damn TV.

And a turtles game without local multiplayer is downright sacrilege. It's one of the main points of the games. Such bullshit.

Modern console video games.

AAA publisher thinking: "Online multiplayer means that friends have to each buy a copy of the game to play together. That's more copies sold, and more cash in our pockets... versus one copy for a group of people."

weshes195

Man I despise that death of local co-op/multiplayer (not completely dead, but lets face it, it is nearly dead).

I have nothing against with playing online, I love playing online. But it baffles me when a game doesn't have it just because of something like frame rates.

It may surprise Neogaf but MANY people who are casual gamers don't even know what the word frame rate means. Or even care.

I dunno, I am biased as a 4th child I was able to have so much fun with my brother and sisters while playing video games. I consider myself very luck to have played games in a time where split screen was the norm for many games.

Now I can't even play Halo (5) with my brother, a game we loved to play together for years. It is a fuck you to people who have friends and family over.

impact

Banned
At least they know that if you can only have one co-op, online is the way to go.

They should have both obviously, but I'm just glad it's not another game stuck in offline co-op only land. Playing Mario 3D World all solo still hurts.

If it released on Wii U, we wouldn't have this issue.

lol

lol

Have you guys seen the gameplay? Jesus. There's no way they can get local coop and still have anything be visible on screen. That shit is messy as it is with a single player per screen.

I would have thought the game would be built around ensuring that local c-op wouldnt not be compromised, even if it meant a little less shit on the screen.

I would have thought the game would be built around ensuring that local c-op wouldnt not be compromised, even if it meant a little less shit on the screen.

Honestly it might have been a choice made by Activision but even then in my experience Platinum games seem really focused on the single player being in control of what they see and the flair of what they do.

I'd much rather have already somewhat disappointing one player per screen gameplay than an even more disappointing couch co-op. Like admittedly couch co-op would be amazing but I don't think that'll happen and I'm okay with that.

Doesn't bother me much personally, it's a Platinum game after all and the single player experience is what I'm into their games for! I'll probably have fun just switching between turtles on the fly!

Tizoc

Excuse the bump but assuming no one has made an OT yet, I plan on making a simple one for the game.
Just need a subtitle.
So far I got |OT| Shells of War

Cuz of Gears of War. You know cuz it has that online multiplayer component.

Excuse the bump but assuming no one has made an OT yet, I plan on making a simple one for the game.
Just need a subtitle.
So far I got |OT| Shells of War

Cuz of Gears of War. You know cuz it has that online multiplayer component.

|OT|Teamwork, Ralph...Teamwork
|OT|There's no Platinum in the Sewers

GOOCHY

What's going on with this one? It's coming out in a few days and it has been absolutely silent since that little gameplay video in March. No marketing? No buzz? Nothing?

That's bizarre as hell.

What's going on with this one? It's coming out in a few days and it has been absolutely silent since that little gameplay video in March. No marketing? No buzz? Nothing?

Activision doesnt seem to do it for these games (See Korra and Transformers.)

It's basically an Activision budget line game. They don't market those titles. They just develop them and release them and they turn a profit because of the low budget and lack of marketing.

Paul Gale

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ttan/cid=EP0002-CUSA01997_00-TMNTMUTANTSPREOR

Looking at the EU PSN store page, it lists only 1 player and for network/online 4 players.
Was kinda hoping the game does have offline co-op of sorts, this being a TMNT action game and all, me and my brothers have great childhood memories of the beat'em-up TMNTs :/

A four player or two player couch sitting cooperative experience would have been awesome, but if the solo campaign is solid, then it will still be worthwhile. We'll see.

TreIII

There have been a few character-focused trailers sent out in the last few weeks. You can find a compilation of them here. I know at Gamestop they were running a preorder campaign that gets you costume alts for the turtles, but I'm not sure if any other retailer is doing similar.

But otherwise, it's pretty much standard procedure for a budget Activision release. Not too much in the way of marketing hoopla.

Top Bottom